Problems installing Puppy KDE on Dell Dimension pentium 2 PC

Booting, installing, newbie
murx

Problems installing Puppy KDE on Dell Dimension pentium 2 PC

#1 Post by murx »

Hi all,

I tried to install the above last night. It started to install and then froze giving me the following error.

"Sorry, can not start X. File /usr/X11r6/bin/X missing.
If X is supposed to be installed, probably Puppy was unable to mount usr_cram.fs on /usr."

I would be grateful for any help on this and what I need to do to get Puppy working.

I tried to install DSL which works ok from RAM but I have problems installing onto the HD.

I am not a complete Noob when comes to linux but I am also nto an expert.

Many thanks.
Murx

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Ian »

Could you supply some detail about your install and the machine you are trying to install it on please.

murx

#3 Post by murx »

Hi Ian,

The machine is a Dell Dimension XPS D300 Pentium 2 running at 300MhZ (Intel Deschutes CPU which should be running at 450) the mobo FSB is 66Mhz.

I downloaded Puppy KDE from this site, a couple of days ago, did MD5 Check sum which confirmed the file was not corrupt and then burned the image to CD using nero.

The Pc has a copy of windows XP already installed on one if the two partitions, (hda1 I believe) and I am trying to install on the second partition. The HDD is only 4Gig and I have split it into 2.5GIg for XP and 1.5G for Linux.

I plan on installing another IDE HDD of about 160G so that I can use this machine to backup my files, on my other PCs, using the Kdar utility.

hope that helps.

Murx

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Ian »

Did you get Puppy to run straight from the CD before you tried to install to HDD.

murx

#5 Post by murx »

"Did you get Puppy to run straight from the CD before you tried to install to HDD."

No, in a word.

Would you recommend that I download a version of puppy and try to run it from CD first?

Please advise me which one to download.

The PuppyKDE that I downloaded was 200MB.

THe live CD link on this site does not seem to work for me, I get 404 error.

thanks.

MU

#6 Post by MU »

KDE-Puppy is a remastered CD.

Kenny (the creator) has another graficscard as you.

When you get the prompt, type
xorgwizard
to set up your graficscard.

The KDE-Iso moved to a new server,
http://htb65.de/puppylinux/puppy-releases/isos/

Mark

murx

#7 Post by murx »

Sorry Mu

"Kenny (the creator) has another graficscard as you."

but I do not understand this comment, can you clarify please.
When you get the prompt, type
xorgwizard
to set up your graficscard.

Is this when I get the error message detailed above?

murx

#8 Post by murx »

Mu,

thanks for that link, that is where I downloaded the file from.

where can I download a live cd version of puppy linux from?

MU

#9 Post by MU »

you get a message, that X cannot start, right?
So you are not in the grafical environment "X", but at the prompt, the textmode.

Here you can run a program to set up your graficscard, simply type
xorgwizard

Then the correct driver for your card should be activated, and KDE should start.

If you want to download standard-Puppy without KDE, download it from here:
http://puppylinux.com/download/downpage.htm

I personally would suggest to try version 2.01, not 2.02, as the new one has some driver-problems.
You also can get 2.01 from this fast mirror:
http://dotpups.de/puppy-releases/2.01/ISO/

Mark

murx

#10 Post by murx »

I typed

xorgwizard

and I get the reply
-sh: xorgwizard: not found

MU

#11 Post by MU »

hm, then I have no idea at moment, I did not try the KDE-Iso myself yet, I just gave you some general instructions.

So you might try the 2.01 Puppy, that can be used with a KDE-addon later, too.
Mark

murx

#12 Post by murx »

Thanks Mu,

I downloaded custom.iso yesterday and will burn that onto CD and try to install that.

Can someone direct me to either:

a live CD download of Puppy linux 2.01 or
a basic Puppy linux 2.01 download

so that I can get started on this.

Many thanks for help on this.

SamSung

#13 Post by SamSung »

Hi here are the links that you need, this has all the puppy variants

ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/

I would recommend the barebones really cutdown version of 2.01 look for the link puppy-barebones-2.01r2.iso

It would be a good exercise to see if another variant of puppy runs in Live CD mode before commiting to a HDD install.

When asked by MU whether or not the KDE variant had worked as a live CD you said in a word NO. So how did you do a HDD install, did you just do a copy of the four needed files.

I have installed or attempted to install the KDE version on a number of PC's, the problem can be the graphics card monitor combination, so this is something you may wish to lookat.

Hope that helps

Sam

MU

#14 Post by MU »

Puppy generally is a Live-CD.
It has an additional installer, to install the Live-CD to the harddisk.

The original Puppy might be suited best for this purpose, but I have no experience with the remastered, custom CDs by others (like the KDE-Puppy).

Mark

murx

#15 Post by murx »

Hi SamSung,

Thanks for that link to the variosu versions of puppy.

I used the link to DL seamonkey and will see how I get on with that.

When I said "No" to Mu I was refering to running puppy from a live CD. When I boot up I just go for option 1 which I think attempts to install to the HD.

murx

#16 Post by murx »

I tried custom and got a chk sum error.

I tried Puppy 2.0 and I got the error

cannot start X, file /usr/X11R6/bin/X missing
..probably puppy was unable to mount usr_cram.fs on/usr.

The good news is that I managed to get seamonkey working. IT was running from RAM and I saved on exit to the linux partition that I have on the HD.

The next question is how do I install Puppy onto my HD and then how do I install the relevant files for KDE?

thanks.

SamSung

#17 Post by SamSung »

Hi Murx

I think there maybe a bit of confusion here, so help me to clear it up. You say that on boot you take option 1 and you beleive this installs Puppy to the HDD. OK, I do not thonk so. I am by no means an expert with the many various versions of Puppy but, I always use the Install wizard in Puppy.

So boot Puppy from Live CD

navigate to the Setup menu entry from the bottom left menu the one that looks like the START button in windows. Look for the various wizards denoted by a magic wand icon . Choose the install to HDD or if in Puppy 2 the Universal installer denoted by a lightening icon below the wizard entries.

Follow the instructions, be sure to read carefully before committing.

That should do it.

As for installing KDE that is a big task. I would suggest that you firstly use the live CD spend some time getting used to Puppy, read the help that is available for people new to Puppy and then try the HDD install. If all of that goes OK try to install the 109 KDE version or wait until someone releases a KDE puppy 2.

Still if you really want to get stuck in and install KDE there are various ways using mega puppy etc do a search on the forum for that. Or check out the LFS - Linux from scratch- project which has an online project to help those that so wish create there own distro or add KDE to a distro. All fairly advanced stuff, so one step at a time.

Again hope that helps

Sam