Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 16 Sep 2014, 07:50
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Desktop
A JWM applications-panel with GUI control
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]  
mavrothal

PostPosted: Tue 20 Mar 2012, 04:55    Post subject:  A JWM applications-panel with GUI control  

I hopefully do not rediscover the wheel but I made a little app that provides an applications panel for JWM and a control GUI to go with it (see picture), similar to other window/desktop managers.
It is handy for small screens, where any window will cover all the Desktop launchers, and voids the need to navigate through the (deep) menus too.

This started some time ago and evolved based in a Micko's app, but I thought to give it an independent thread for possible feed back/problems.

The panel control GUI has a menu entry under "Desktop -> Settings". Through the GUI you can change the position and the "thickness" of the panel (from 24 to 64 pixels), the order of the buttons and make the panel always visible on top of windows or auto-hiden.
Makes fairly simple to add new application buttons in the panel and of course delete them. Even provides the option to manually edit an item in a text file (eg correct a typo without deleting and re-adding the app button), and if you have geany will open exactly on the line you want to edit.
The pet will also generate an initial panel at the top of the screen as shown in the picture.
The icon style follows your desktop icon theme and will change if you change it (as long as you use the icons from the default location)

You may also want to install Micko's desksetup.pet to easier change the layout of the ROX desktop icons or eliminate them all together

Enjoy.

Update v0.7 will not auto-quit anymore after applying some changes

Update 2 v0.8 has an uninstall script to remove every trace of the pet after removal with PPM. Also includes the options to generate backup at will.

Update 3 v0.9 is if functionally identical to v0.8 but in notebook layout so can fit in very small (640x480) screens

Update 4 v1.0 is not closing other open gtkdialogs when reseting.

The picture from v0.8 (lower) shows the main, single panel, interface and the dialogs to reorder/edit/delete an application in the panel (though they do not appear all together as shown Laughing )
jwm_app_tray-1.0.pet
Description  v1.0 is in notebook layout so can fit in very small screens
pet

Download 
Filename  jwm_app_tray-1.0.pet 
Filesize  8.23 KB 
Downloaded  418 Time(s) 
app_panel_config_v0.9.jpg
 Description   v0.9 is in notebook mode so can fit in very small screens
 Filesize   74.29 KB
 Viewed   1210 Time(s)

app_panel_config_v0.9.jpg

jwm_app_tray-0.8.pet
Description  JWM apps panel with a GUI panel-control application
pet

Download 
Filename  jwm_app_tray-0.8.pet 
Filesize  7.17 KB 
Downloaded  314 Time(s) 
JWM_applications_panel.jpg
 Description   JWM apps panel with GUI panel-control application
 Filesize   41.77 KB
 Viewed   1304 Time(s)

JWM_applications_panel.jpg

Last edited by mavrothal on Thu 22 Mar 2012, 15:43; edited 1 time in total
mavrothal

PostPosted: Wed 21 Mar 2012, 14:50    Post subject: Re: A JWM applications-panel with GUI control  

mavrothal wrote:
I hopefully do not rediscover the wheel

Boy... do I?... Rolling Eyes

Only too late I fount 2Palt - 2Ps2d! That's because is in French and does not contain the words JWM and panel or tray, so is not picked by searches.
If you are looking for an JWM applications tray give it a try (after you try this one Wink ). Don't be deterred by French, comes with English, German and Spanish too.

disciple

PostPosted: Wed 21 Mar 2012, 18:10    Post subject:  

I think you're also reinventing TrayManager Smile

I presume your one uses gtkdialog... does 2Palt - 2Ps2d also use gtkdialog? I remember seeing it, but I never added it to the
Index of programs using gtkdialog
Is there anything which distinguishes each of these programs from the others?

- - -
Beware the demented serfers!
mavrothal

PostPosted: Thu 22 Mar 2012, 01:19    Post subject:  

disciple wrote:
I think you're also reinventing TrayManager Smile

No. That was discover'able.

disciple wrote:
I presume your one uses gtkdialog... does 2Palt - 2Ps2d also use gtkdialog?
Is there anything which distinguishes each of these programs from the others?

They all do.
2Palt - 2Ps2d is the most polished, feature-rich and easy to use with a couple of little issues (for my taste - posted there). It also has a sister app that allows for easy desktop icon additions

This one, I find a bid more "involved" in button addition but still fairly simple and with better flexibility on the looks. Is also more "graphical" in the configuration options.

TrayManager is even more "involved" and in contrast to the above 2, is focusing on the existing app tray of JWM, but when I tried it just made my jwm tray disappear and the second panel feature did no work. So I did not look at it any further Embarassed . I'm sure is something simple probably specific to the pupplet I used, but since the jwm tray may change from pupplet to pupplet has more room for the things to go sour.

But I'm sure that other people may have different reviews on the above... Laughing

Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Desktop
Jump to: