NoteCase

#1 Post by L18L »

NoteCase in Menu > Personal

Several languages need update
see http://notecase.sourceforge.net/catalogs.html please

musher0

#2 Post by musher0 »

Hello, L18L.

Just went to the notecase site. Thanks for the link.

As for my language, I don't see the need for an update to fr_CA if fr_FR is ok. At this level of language (not colloquial), fr_CA and fr_FR are one and the same in my opinion -- there may be minute differences, but nothing to bat an eyelid at. Simply an hyperlink in the locale folder from fr_CA to fr proper will do the trick.

I hope your call is heard for other languages.

TWYL,
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

L18L

fr_CA

#3 Post by L18L »

Hello musher0 (packer of langpack_fr_CA :lol: )
you wrote:... I don't see the need for an update to fr_CA if fr_FR is ok. At this level of language (not colloquial), fr_CA and fr_FR are one and the same in my opinion -- there may be minute differences, but nothing to bat an eyelid at. Simply an hyperlink in the locale folder from fr_CA to fr proper will do the trick...
gettext will automatically use fr if there is no fr_CA
Just ignoring fr_CA is even simpler than linking.

If you think some phrases are different in Canada and you like your language then the fr_CA may contain just the different translations

musher0

#4 Post by musher0 »

Hello L18L.

You wrote:
> Hello musher0 (packer of langpack_fr_CA )

Now don't you start any rumours !!! :D

Thanks for the info: I didn't know you could be that precise with language files. As I mentioned earlier, I don't consider fr_CA to be a language different from fr_FR. I don't see the point in redoing the excellent translation work the French-from-France team did. (J.-J. Moulinier and Cy.) On occasion, I have mentioned to him / them some remarks about expressions they used that made me cringe, and that's it.

Of course, "joual" is quite different from "argot", but those are very colloquial "dialects", shall we say -- and you never see words of these in program menus. (Although it might be a fun exercise to make a notecase language file in fr_JOUAL only for use in the Saint-Henri [Montréal] or Saint-Roch [Quebec City] neighbourhoods !!! [hehehe]). However peculiar, "joual" shouldn't be considered as representative of Canadian French.

All jokes aside, I believe in the Ockham's Razor Principle, and accordingly, that we should NOT multiply logical beings needlessly.

That has happened and still happens a lot in PuppyLinux, unfortunately, at many levels. In my opinion, the best Puppy distros are from those authors who applied Ockham's Principle, and thus skimmed and regrouped in their work the most successful try-outs from other community members. Only my 2 cents, obviously.

TWYL | ALP
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)