Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 02 Sep 2014, 03:22
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Legacy OS 4 Mini Released
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 5 of 10 [142 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 Next
oligin10

PostPosted: Tue 27 Mar 2012, 00:57    Post subject: thanks  

Thanks guys. Must be something wrong with my burn, but it did install properly. Not sure why it doesn't work on mine, but no problems. Ext2 works fine. Just wondered, as TeenPup Mini worked fine with ext3 partitions. What type of hard drives were you guys using? And my reference to home partition was due to previously having pclinuxos on the laptop.
Thanks, Rob
James C

PostPosted: Tue 27 Mar 2012, 01:36    Post subject:  

I've got Legacy OS Mini installed on a regular, old-school ide hdd.Just haven't gotten around to testing on sata yet.

Did verify that there was no problem a bit earlier, moved a number of files between an ext 3 partition and ntfs.... both ways. Worked fine.
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Tue 27 Mar 2012, 02:48    Post subject:  

LegacyOS will be featured for a short time on the wikki home page
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage

Don't get jealous you other pupleteers . . . Wink

John's LegacyOS is number 70 on distrowatch.
Is it a fork?
Is it a spoon?
Is it ideal for you?

Last edited by Lobster on Wed 28 Mar 2012, 00:27; edited 1 time in total
Sage

PostPosted: Tue 27 Mar 2012, 03:03    Post subject:  

Quote:
number 70

No.7 on the 7-day hits.
However, if John cannot get the assistance he's requested from the heavy-weights to make it boot properly, that could sink to 700 very soon. You only get one bite of the cherry with neophytes. One no-boot and things could go Pear -shape...
umair

PostPosted: Tue 27 Mar 2012, 07:07    Post subject:  

Hello Every One:
Legacy OS 4 is not playing video flv files, tried all installed players but no luck.
Any suggestions?
UMAIR
john biles

PostPosted: Tue 27 Mar 2012, 09:47    Post subject:  

Hello umair,
ffplay should play your flv file. In Rox file manager right mouse click on .flv file, select "Set Run Action" and a box will appear. Open another Rox Window and navigate to /usr/bin and find ffplay. Drag and Drop ffplay in to the box with the message "Drop a suitable application here". Box will close. Now when you click on a .flv file, ffplay should play it.

Hello Sage, I will keep searching for a fix to the Ram issue.

Quote:
You only get one bite of the cherry with neophytes.

True! , but I'll say this "I've been testing a number of so call popular Linux Distros to see what's happening generally with Linux. I won't mention names, all I'll say is Legacy OS and Puppy are far from being the worst Distros out there. Some of the releases I've tried left me very disappointed. I would be ashamed to release such stuff. All the while Linux users are excepting this stuff? I just don't get it?

Ext3 partition problems? unusual?

john biles

PostPosted: Tue 27 Mar 2012, 09:52    Post subject:  

Hello Lobster,

Quote:
LegacyOS will be featured for a short time on the wikki

Thank you, that's great news. Very Happy

umair

PostPosted: Tue 27 Mar 2012, 10:06    Post subject:  

john biles wrote:
Hello umair,
ffplay should play your flv file. In Rox file manager right mouse click on .flv file, select "Set Run Action" and a box will appear. Open another Rox Window and navigate to /usr/bin and find ffplay. Drag and Drop ffplay in to the box with the message "Drop a suitable application here". Box will close. Now when you click on a .flv file, ffplay should play it.

Thank You John,
Works like a Charm Smile. Now Can play flv files very smoothly on old P-III Wink
UMAIR
Sage

PostPosted: Tue 27 Mar 2012, 11:04    Post subject:  

John: you have every reason to be proud of your creation resulting from meticulous dedication and polish well beyond the norm.
It just surprises me that there are contributors to this Forum who probably know the answer to the booting paradox. Not sure why they haven't responded yet? You certainly know who they are! Why not send them a PM?
john biles

PostPosted: Tue 27 Mar 2012, 19:54    Post subject:  

Hello Sage,
I've posted for Help / Advice in this post http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=615277#615277 If I get a reply, I'll update the iso and upload. If I don't get any replies, I'll keep looking myself. Mr. Green

James C

PostPosted: Tue 27 Mar 2012, 21:34    Post subject:  

To be honest, the init script gives me a headache but it appears the area of interest starts about line #988.

Code:
#v405 decide whether to copy sfs's to ram...
COPY2RAM=""
COPYMSG='copying to ram' #purple
#v4.00 lowered rom 230000 to 220000... v403 added PUPSFSDEVMNTPT test... v404 explicit PCOPY needed...
[ $PUPMODE -eq 5 ] && PCOPY="yes" #well, override on first boot.
[ $PUPMODE -eq 77 ] && PCOPY="yes" #v406 multisession dvd.
#v404 absolutely must copy to ram, otherwise layerfs conflict...
[ $PUPMODE -eq 6 -o $PUPMODE -eq 7 ] && COPY2RAM="yes"
[ "$COPY2RAM" = "yes" ] && COPYMSG='forced copying to ram' #purple
[ $RAMSIZE -gt 220000 -a "$PCOPY" = "yes" ] && COPY2RAM="yes" #256MB system. note, only checking physical ram.
Indy452

PostPosted: Thu 29 Mar 2012, 11:40    Post subject: OS4 wireless  

I can run and connect to WEP wireless encryption all day with no problems but I can't connect using WPA or WPA2 Why not?
Keef

PostPosted: Thu 29 Mar 2012, 13:14    Post subject:  

Indy452

I use the old Network Wizard and it always tells me it cannot make a WPA connection. Try ignoring the warning, and press Auto DHCP - it then works for me.
oligin10

PostPosted: Tue 03 Apr 2012, 21:47    Post subject: Fantastic!
Subject description: Just add Ttuuxxx's Frostwire for Classic Pup

Hi John, just had time to check out Legacy OS 4 Mini. Fantastic! If you recall, I had problems with sound on TeenPup Mini 2010. None here, works great and is persistent. No problems with wifi, although I would like to have more drivers available. Realtek 8187b still won't work. Sometimes the .pet for Realtek 8187b works, sometimes not. Just added Ttuuxxx's Frostwire pet for Classic Pup. Works great! Thanks for all your hard work and dedication to Legacy OS! Congrats, Rob Razz
P.S. Did a full install to Sony Vaio laptop, running an old celeron 2.4ghz processor with 768 megs of ram, and 40 gig hard drive.
celeronM

PostPosted: Sat 14 Apr 2012, 14:19    Post subject:  

Hi im new to the forum, and im been using puppy in my machine a laptop who has the CPU CeleronM, I did a manual hard drive partition and installed Legacy 4 in this machine, but I have some questions regarding RAM, as you can see i have firefox running and my ram spikes to high and never come down to a low level again, if i open more programs more RAM is beign used slowing the machine to the point of crash, CPU temp goes to high 52-55 C, how can i make the ram goes back to a level low without crashing o reboothing or shutting down the machine.
Page 5 of 10 [142 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 Next
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Jump to: