need adapter to go between a sata female and a ide male..

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
zippytex

need adapter to go between a sata female and a ide male..

#1 Post by zippytex »

I have Toshiba Tecra M9, 2.3hz dual cpu with 2gb Ram and a 80GB hard drive. I wiped Windows off and installed Linux, no problem, but when I go to install windows again, it cannot find the hard drive. I have reformatted the drive, repartioned the drive and installed fat 32 and NST?? But it cannot find the hard drive. I reinstalled Linux and it had no problem finding the hard drive. I want to take a ide I have and install it in this laptop, but I need an adapter. I want to sell it on ebay. What do I call the item I need when looking for it on ebay? I am in over my head, and I keep pushing off the bottom to take a breath. Thanks very much.

Aitch

#2 Post by Aitch »

Hi Zippytex

You can't simply install a hardware adapter
It is a SATA driver that's needed, and you'll need to put it on a floppy or usb stick, as it needs to be installed when XP installer asks if you need to install any raid or special drivers

see http://forums.computers.toshiba-europe. ... adID=31445

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_ ... y&lang=eng

Also be aware that sometimes windoze can't see drives which have been partitioned with linux tools...it's a windoze protection issue

The only hardware way is to buy a 2.5" sata usb case on ebay for about $7/8, and take the drive out of the laptop

try using fdisk in a windows box, if you can, or try downloading Hiren's bootCD, and install MiniXP to a usb stick, if it won't install the sata driver to your existing sata drive using its own drive utilities

http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

or simply d/l M$/freedos Fdisk to usb stick, then add fat32 partition
fdisk131 here

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stu ... dos/fdisk/

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000345.htm

Why not sell it with Puppy installed and working, or are you keeping it but giving up on puppy??

No Licensing problems, no software to buy, no spam/viruses etc, etc

Aitch :)

zippytex

Wow! It is amazing how much I do not know!

#3 Post by zippytex »

NO, I gave up on windows a long time ago! One day, I realized that I had not booted windows in about three months! It is huge and slow, but the thing I dislike most is their non-sharing attitude! It is like inviting people to wonderful? dinner and then when they get there, they are not allowed to eat.

I like Linux Mint and Ubuntu, but puppy is my favorite. I think it is because it lets you get close to the source. You understand more using puppy than other distros. At least I do. Maybe I will just keep the Toshiba, it is pretty nice and sell the Dell. I could set up a double boot on it and let someone discover puppy.

I will check out your information and learn from it. I have downloaded it and added it to my Linux notebook.

I would have quit a long time ago if it were not for this forum.
Thanks for your help, it is much appreciated!. Mary

Aitch

#4 Post by Aitch »

You're welcome
good luck....you can always ask again if you get stuck :wink:

zippytex

All the sites were great!

#5 Post by zippytex »

I had been wanting a hiren's boot disk, but could not find it. Thanks. You took a lot of time with all these links and I do thank you!

zippytex

The only hardware way is to buy a 2.5" sata usb case on ebay

#6 Post by zippytex »

I ordered the case from ebay. So, I take out the hard drive and put it in the case. Then what? Can I attach it to the usb port and install windows xp pro to that? Is it the motherboard that asks for the driver?

Aitch

#7 Post by Aitch »

Hi zippytex

OK, so you've gone for a SATA USB case....If you take your drive out of the laptop, ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESP0g1K8qp8

....it will install in the USB case, which already has the hardware to connect the drive, though it connects to the PC via USB interface, so Mini-Windoze from Hirens should install OK, as it'll just see it as an external drive - you can try a full XP install instead of mini if you want/prefer
You will need to add the SATA drivers I posted on 16th March, in a folder on the root, C:\ partition, - (once you've got it partitioned, before reinstalling it back into the laptop), - or on a separate USB flashdrive, for the laptop's native SATA hardware, which IS on its 'motherboard',
[though slightly different to a desktop type motherboard, and usually just referred to, as the mainboard, or system board]

When you do come to re-install the hard drive and do a full install with the drive back in the laptop, , Windoze will possibly ask if you need to install any raid or other drivers, and you'll need to point it to the folder with the SATA drivers in posted earlier, you may need to read the notes attached as I'm not totally sure, as this seems a special case for this laptop, AFAIK - I thought XP usually found SATA drives OK....
- afterwards it should now see the drive, which you will have installed mini-windoze, or maybe a full install onto [it'll save time if you do mini I'd have thought...], as it will be formatted with a windoze friendly mbr and formatting, either fat32 or NTFS, and you should be able to overwrite the existing mini-windoze, on the C:\ partition or just add a new XP version, and have a choice of which to run, with mini as an emergency rescue bootable version, with a choice of XP or mini selectable at bootup....it depends how much space you have/ or need, really

I hope you can make sense of this, as I'm better at doing/demoing this sort of thing, than explaining it....

good luck

zippytex

I did try to install the driver from the Toshiba website

#8 Post by zippytex »

Nothing happened with sp3, only the f3, cannot be installed.
with sp2, I got to put in f6 and s, but it said the driver I was trying to install was older than the sp2 drivers on the disk. I got another F3, no install.

Maybe I will try to sell it with linux. We'll see after the box gets here. I try not to be too hard on myself, after all I was born one year after Pearl Harbor was bombed! The gray matter is getting slower.

I do thank you for your help, you have been very kind. I will let you know how it turns out!

Thanks.

starhawk

#9 Post by starhawk »

A few tips...

(1) most laptops on eBay are sold with no hard drive and no operating system.
(2) there are no reliable IDE<->SATA converters that I know of.
(3) SATA hard drives are cheap.

zippytex

found a disk that promises to...

#10 Post by zippytex »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0687308163

This looks like an easy way to take care of the problem, what do you think?

Aitch

#11 Post by Aitch »

Well...whatever floats your boat as they say....

If it feels right for you, go for it....but bear in mind it's a DVD, which won't work in a CD player :wink: ....and you do need a good XP install CD with serial numbers as well

zippytex

I still have a few more days before I can order it

#12 Post by zippytex »

I will go over the instructions again and see if I can.
Thanks for the instruction.

By the way, I reinstalled Lucid 5.x.oo4 and this time I saved all the pet packages in a separate dos 32 partition. When I try another version of puppy, can I just reused these packages without having to download them? Some of them are sfs files and quite long.

Thanks.

Geoffrey

Re: I still have a few more days before I can order it

#13 Post by Geoffrey »

You can create a slipstream remaster of the windows cd with the sata drivers, I had to do that once for my acer laptop using nLite which is free. http://www.wikihow.com/Slipstream-Your- ... sing-nLite

Aitch

#14 Post by Aitch »

zippytex

I believe .SFS files can be used, but some .pets are kernel specific, I think, but seem ok with each series of puppy, i.e. if made for 4 series puppy work OK in 4 and some 5 series, but not always 3 series, though ttuuxxx's 214X is an exception, as he has updated many pets/packages to work
I you keep a spare savefile as a backup, and a .pet doesn't work/messes things up, you can replace the save file with the backup and discard the corrupt one quite easily....this is a common method of playing with puppy :D

see shinobar's 'loadSFS-on-the-fly' .pet

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=64354