Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
bigpup

#1381 Post by bigpup »

Abiword-2.8.6-Lucid-2 with working Help
playdayz wrote:
Selected help and Quickpet opened. I assume trying to tell me I needed a browser installed
Yes. Exactly. I am very puzzled why it didn't work on the first install. You could open a terminal and enter env and see what DEFAULTBROWSER shows. Hmmm, it might not work if you have changed the default browser since booting. You could also start abiword in a terminal and see if you got any messages when you clicked Help.
Lucid 528-004, full install.
I have Firefox 11 lucid pet installed. The one you made.

env shows this:
DEFAULTBROWSER=/usr/lib/firefox/run-mozilla.sh

Abiword in a terminal gives this error message:
run-mozilla.sh: Cannot execute http://www.abisource.com/help/en-US/index.html.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

rerwin

Re: Puppy-Linux-Lupu-528-Testing01a - Internet Connection

#1382 Post by rerwin »

Yoliano wrote:From my superficial knowledge of this matter, I suspect that this modem is not registered in the modeswitch list, which might be the cause of this problem.
Consequently, I have been following the forum postings on this subject with great interest and have now tested this modem in Puppy-Linux Lupu-528-Testing01a,
but got exactly the same result.
I went to the modeswitch list file and found that 12d1 : 14fe is registered there, but NOT the Product Target ID 1506. (12d1 : 1505 is the nearest I could find).
So, I need some help at this point. Can someone please confirm that, to function, this modem needs to be registered in the modeswitch device list, or is
there some other problem that needs to be solved?
Yoliano,
You are probably looking at the wrong list of modeswitch configurations. I suspect that the reference list is not kept up to date. The actual configurations are in /usr/share/usb_modeswitch. The file for 12d1:14fe contains this:

Code: Select all

# T-Mobile NL (Huawei E352)

TargetVendor=  0x12d1
TargetProduct= 0x1506

MessageContent="55534243123456780000000000000011062000000100000000000000000000"
which seems to match your modem. The best way for me to understand what you are encountering would be for you to boot up into TESTING01a or lupuplus-528, go as far as you can and then, in a console window, enter the command, pmodemdiag. That creates a similarly named tar.gz file in your home (/root) directory. Attach that to a posting or to a PM to me.
Richard

playdayz

#1383 Post by playdayz »

Lucid 528-004, full install.
I have Firefox 11 lucid pet installed. The one you made.

env shows this:
DEFAULTBROWSER=/usr/lib/firefox/run-mozilla.sh

Abiword in a terminal gives this error message:
run-mozilla.sh: Cannot execute http://www.abisource.com/help/en-US/index.html.
Oh, Oh.

New Firefox 11 pet to work with Abiword Help. Thanks Bigpup.
http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/Firef ... ucid-2.pet
Install and then reboot, then Abiword Help should work.

kevin bowers

#1384 Post by kevin bowers »

playdayz wrote:
For those who must use Microsoft Office, .odt won't work with it.
I just tested and Abiword opened a docx that had been created in Word and then saved it as odt. Then Word 2010 opened the odt and saved it as another odt and then reopened it. The document had a picture and a table so I think it was a decent test. I hope people will test this.
I stand corrected. And red-faced; looking back on it the version of Word I checked on was over a decade old! Sorry 'bout that.

bigpup

#1385 Post by bigpup »

playdayz wrote: New Firefox 11 pet to work with Abiword Help. Thanks Bigpup.
http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/Firef ... ucid-2.pet
Install and then reboot, then Abiword Help should work.
Installed "New Firefox 11 pet to work with Abiword Help".
Rebooted.
Abiword help now works using this Firefox 11.

You are back door hacking now! :shock: :D 8)
Wonder what the next internal Firefox update will do?
Last edited by bigpup on Sun 25 Mar 2012, 03:24, edited 1 time in total.
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#1386 Post by bigpup »

Playdayz,

Is it normal for a change to default browser, not go into effect, until after a reboot?
I was under the assumption that changing it with "default browser changer", on the taskbar, would do it.
YaPI(any iso installer)

playdayz

#1387 Post by playdayz »

bigpup wrote:Playdayz,

Is it normal for a change to default browser, not go into effect, until after a reboot?
I was under the assumption that changing it with "default browser changer", on the taskbar, would do it.
There is the file /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser and there is also an environment variable named DEFAULTBROWSER. When Puppy boots, the contents of /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser are copied to DEFAULTBROWSER. So a reboot is required to change the contents of DEFAULTBROWSER, and that is what Abiword reads to know how to start the browser. And evidently abiword only reads it the first time it is run in a session.
Last edited by playdayz on Sun 25 Mar 2012, 21:15, edited 2 times in total.

bigpup

#1388 Post by bigpup »

Thanks for the information.
Never a simple thing. :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

playdayz

#1389 Post by playdayz »

So a reboot is required to change the contents of DEFAULTBROWSER
I am trying to change the new Abiword so that a reboot will not be necessary.

Eyes-Only

#1390 Post by Eyes-Only »

Thanks so much for the .pet of AbiWord-2.6.8 PD. It's working perfect here on both 3HD and Lucid-Pup-528-004. Like the Subject Description: You're a genius PD! :) With both you and Micko on Lucid-Pup - along with all the others who freely contributed their hard work, time, and labour - where else can a person find such a first-rate distro which is so small and yet contains nearly everything anyone could ever hope for plus runs so exceptionally well on practically every piece of equipment?!

People here acomplish sheer miracles when it comes to desktop computing. That's what it boils down to in a nutshell.

Ciao/Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

playdayz

#1391 Post by playdayz »

New Version of Abiword 2.8.6 with Help

There was a case, discovered by BigPup, when Abiword-2.8.6-Lucid-2 would not invoke the Help correctly (when some versions of the Lucid pets for Firefox were installed). This new version fixes that, so the Help should work as long as there is a browser installed--if no browser is installed it will bring up the Browser Install screen. Even in that case where no browser is installed you can use the browser-default button to choose dillo and then the Help will work..

http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/Abiwo ... ucid-3.pet
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dillo 3.0.2 -> http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/dillo-3.0.2-lucid.pet

This dillo handles the Puppy forum nicely (except no spell checking), but it is useless for weather.com, etc.

ICPUG

#1392 Post by ICPUG »

Thanks Playdayz for all your work on the Abiword help. You know from a few PMs a little while back that this is a favourite topic of mine!

Once again the Lupu Puppy is answering real user problems. It is a tragedy that this is not an official Puppy still or, at the very least, the official puppies should take up these solutions and implement them in the official puppies.

I have some comments about Lupu and Lupu Plus. With your announcement of Lupu Plus I was a little confused over the version number.

You quoted Lupu Plus as 001. This suggests Lupu Plus is a different strain of Lupu Puppy. However, it seems that it is really Lupu 004 plus some added bits. If it really is the latter then it would be better to keep the 00x reference the same so we have Lupu 5.28.004 and Lupu Plus.004.

You also say you are going to add the Abiword help stuff to Lupu Plus. Surely, this is a bug fix of the basic Lupu and not a Plus feature. If so, it should be added to 528.004 to make its successor 528.005.

Pedantic, I know, and perhaps you have plans for Lupu Plus that I don't know about but we have so many Puppy variations confusing to newbies that I would hope that we can maintain some consistency and simplicity within Lupu!

playdayz

#1393 Post by playdayz »

You quoted Lupu Plus as 001. This suggests Lupu Plus is a different strain of Lupu Puppy. However, it seems that it is really Lupu 004 plus some added bits. If it really is the latter then it would be better to keep the 00x reference the same so we have Lupu 5.28.004 and Lupu Plus.004.
I thought about this--I think you are right--I will do that with the next version.
You also say you are going to add the Abiword help stuff to Lupu Plus. Surely, this is a bug fix of the basic Lupu and not a Plus feature. If so, it should be added to 528.004 to make its successor 528.005.
Yes, it will be in the next versions of Lucid 5.2.8 and 3HD. I have also sent the way I fixed it to 01micko for Slacko and will send to Barry and I hope it is incorporated into all Puppies. Having Help work is an important usability feature in my opinion. However I can also understand that sometimes in early Puppies Help was disabled as a way of saving space. Anyway, I am happy to say that with the Abiword fix all of these programs on the desktop will offer functioning Help: Roxterm, Geany, PupControl, Abiword, Gnumeric, Mtpaint, Sylpheed.

bigpup

#1394 Post by bigpup »

playdayz wrote:I am happy to say that with the Abiword fix all of these programs on the desktop will offer functioning Help: Roxterm, Geany, PupControl, Abiword, Gnumeric, Mtpaint, Sylpheed.
Thank you very much!
You have solved one of the most nagging issues with Puppy. Programs help function.

HomeBank help kind of works now.
You can click on help->contents and the browser will open, to a page that has a link to the HomeBank web site,
YaPI(any iso installer)

playdayz

#1395 Post by playdayz »

You can click on help->contents and the browser will open, to a page that has a link to the HomeBank web site,
That didn't work for me. Maybe it needs a particular browser. What browser do you have installed when it works?

Guvcview

Guvcview has never worked as well as it should. It would crash on me very often when attempting to capture the webcam video, especially if I changed resolutions. I think this new version, works better, if anyone could test. You need a webcam connected.
Attachments
guvcview-1.4.1-1.pet
(96.24 KiB) Downloaded 339 times
Last edited by playdayz on Mon 26 Mar 2012, 18:23, edited 1 time in total.

bigpup

#1396 Post by bigpup »

playdayz wrote:
That didn't work for me. Maybe it needs a particular browser. What browser do you have installed when it works?
Firefox 11-Lucid-2.pet

It shows this:
file:///usr/share/homebank/help/index.html
YaPI(any iso installer)

playdayz

#1397 Post by playdayz »

VLC 2.0 sfs

On first testing VLC 2.0 sfs seems to be working with Lucid. It is necessary to install the Xorg_High-1.1 pet to provide mesa glx video, or, alternatively, to install one of the proprietary ATI or Nivida drivers. If one has an Nvidia card it is probably necessary to install one of the proprietary drivers.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 184#615184

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lucid 5.2.8.005 RC

ffconvert 1.2 - shinobar; sfs-load 1.3 - shinobar; PupControl 2.0 - radky; Sylpheed 3.1.3 - playdayz; mtpaint 3.44.3 - don570; PupApps 1.8 - radky; PupSnap 1.6.3 - radky; pprocess 2.2.4 - zigbert; Pburn 3.5.1 - zigbert; firewallstate 2.1 - tasmod; grub4dos 1.7.2 - shinobar; isomaster 1.3.9 - BarryK; pbackup 3.1.9 - zigbert; pfilesearch 1.28 - zigbert; pfind 4.25 - zigbert; PupClockset 1.9 - radky; PupSysinfo 2.1.4 - radky; Bacon Recorder 2.7 - don570; dillo 3.0.2 - playdayz

New Program -> PupMenu 1.0 (radky)

Fixed -> guvcview 1.4.1-1 (the previous version would often crash if changing video size and capturing)

Abiword 2.8.6-Lucid-3 with working Help

http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/lupu-528.005RC.iso
9c639a1f9d4425a951bd516f273f9c46

Sage

#1398 Post by Sage »

Lucid 5.2.8.005 RC
OK, PD, got me confused now (not difficult).
How does this relate to LupuPlus 5.2.8-001 ?

playdayz

#1399 Post by playdayz »

Sage wrote:
Lucid 5.2.8.005 RC
OK, PD, got me confused now (not difficult).
How does this relate to LupuPlus 5.2.8-001 ?
Lucid 5.2.8.005 is the original Lucid with the latest Puppy Program updates (plus the Abiword and guvcview fixes). Lucid Plus also has the Puppy program updates but it also has the 41 extra drivers, the hplip HP printer and scanner database, and the new ffmpeg and the 2.x Pmusic (as well as some changes to the driver infrastructure). From now on there will be 3 flavors of Lucid: Original, Plus, and Three-Headed Dog. As ICPUG suggested the next version of Plus will be 005 to indicate that Plus and original are similarly updated.
Last edited by playdayz on Wed 28 Mar 2012, 17:21, edited 1 time in total.

Sage

#1400 Post by Sage »

Ah, thanks a $bn. Wasn't sure whether 5.2.8-005 superceded Plus, Now I see the light. Hope the little grey cells can cope.