Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 21 Oct 2014, 06:27
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Wary/Racy 5.3RC2 (5.2.91)
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 17 of 20 [293 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 Next
FeodorF

PostPosted: Sun 01 Apr 2012, 15:04    Post subject: Re: flash 11.r202 not working
Subject description: Same problem with k7 AthlonXP3000+(Flashplayer 11.2.202.228 does not work. )

BarryK wrote:
broomdodger wrote:
broomdodger wrote:
flash 11.r202 not working
racy5291
frugal manual
automatic flash install

delete /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so

copy flash 11.r102 from racy5290
flash 11.r102 is working
I have tried several times on the IBM ThinkPad X30 and Flashplayer 11.2.202.228 does not work.
Checking the <http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/> no player detected.

Flashplayer 11.1.102.63 works works with racy5291.

--BUT--

On the Acer TravelMate 4670 Flashplayer 11.2.202.228 works with racy5291.

What CPU does the Thinkpad X30 have?

There have been issues with the Adobe player requiring a machine-language instruction that is not in an older CPU.

This is an awkward situation. I have added a warning, after the player is downloaded, that if it doesn't work, try an older one -- a PET in the Puppy Package Manager.

I do have the same problem with my ASRock K7VT4Apro AthlonXP3000+ MoBo.

Rem: That's funny, some youtube videos play right away, others don't. (Looks like an April 1st flashplayer update Wink )

-Processor-
Name: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 3000+
Family,model,stepping: 6, 10, 0 (AMD Athlon XP/MP (Barton))
Vendor: AuthenticAMD
-Configuration-
Cache Size: 512kb
Frequency: 2166.05MHz
BogoMIPS: 4332.10
Byte Order: Little Endian
-Features-
FDIV Bug: no
HLT Bug: no
F00F Bug: no
Coma Bug: no
Has FPU: yes
-Cache-
Level 1(Data): 2-way set-associative, 512 sets, 64KB size
Level 1(Instruction): 2-way set-associative, 512 sets, 64KB size
Level 2(Unified): 16-way set-associative, 512 sets, 512KB size
-Capabilities-
fpu: Floating Point Unit
vme: Virtual 86 Mode Extension
de: Debug Extensions - I/O breakpoints
pse: Page Size Extensions (4MB pages)
tsc: Time Stamp Counter and RDTSC instruction
msr: Model Specific Registers
pae: Physical Address Extensions
mce: Machine Check Architeture
cx8: CMPXCHG8 instruction
apic: Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controller
sep: Fast System Call (SYSENTER/SYSEXIT)
mtrr: Memory Type Range Registers
pge: Page Global Enable
mca: Machine Check Architecture
cmov: Conditional Move instruction
pat: Page Attribute Table
pse36: 36bit Page Size Extensions
mmx: MMX technology
fxsr: FXSAVE and FXRSTOR instructions
sse: SSE instructions
syscall: SYSCALL and SYSEXIT instructions
mmxext: Extended MMX Technology
3dnowext: Extended 3DNow! Technology
3dnow: 3DNow! Technology
up: smp kernel running on up
vicmz

PostPosted: Sun 01 Apr 2012, 17:48    Post subject:  

I have this problem in both Racy and Wary. When I click a partition icon, I get an error message 'failed to execute child process' and I can't access the partition from there. In Racy it happens unexpectedly at random times, although not real frequent, in Wary it happens after the second/third time I click on a partition icon. In Racy the problem disappears after restarting X, in Wary I have to reboot. In both Racy and Wary I can still mount and access the partitions via Pmount or ROX-Filer (in /mnt/nameofpartition). The problem doesn't have to do with partition types (NTFS, VFAT, etc.), all of them are affected.
failed-to-open-usb-drive.png
 Description   
 Filesize   39.43 KB
 Viewed   1213 Time(s)

failed-to-open-usb-drive.png

puppyluvr

PostPosted: Sun 01 Apr 2012, 18:01    Post subject:  

Very Happy Hello,
Quick post..
D/L the latest for a spin...
Very impressive BK!!
Nailed everything OOTB.. Wireless (RT5390 via 2800pci), Resolution for a 55 inch monitor dead on.. GL worked OOTB as well, a pleasant surprise!! Every app ran, all formats played.. 2barks at boot...Fullscreen video doesnt work, will investigate..
Blazing fast!!
Composite via installed gcompmgr works flawlessly as well.
I bought 5 cd`s for this one, to spread it around and test it on as many machines as I can..
Will be back to report..

Puppy since 2.15CE...
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Sun 01 Apr 2012, 18:35    Post subject: Re: 5.2.91  

sszindian wrote:
Ran Racy all day without a hitch using WiFi... went to shutdown this evening, and Racy 'HUNG' on the shutdown just before updating the savefile. After 10-minutes I knew a shutdown wouldn't happen so was forced to do 'push and hold power button on computer' to shutdown.

Upon trying to reboot with Racy, all that I get is:

ext2-fs (loop): error: ext2 lookup: deleted inode reference: 16451

and it goes on and on through a bunch of numbers after that so am forced to shutdow with power button again...

Hope It can be recovered?

Bummer BK! and just when I thought Racy was really doing a fantastic job.

>>>---Indian------>

What is Puppy booting off? Frugal install hard drive? USB Flash? CD?

Also, is it a pristine installation, or did you upgrade a save-file?

Last edited by BarryK on Sun 01 Apr 2012, 19:14; edited 1 time in total
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Sun 01 Apr 2012, 18:36    Post subject:  

vicmz wrote:
I have this problem in both Racy and Wary. When I click a partition icon, I get an error message 'failed to execute child process' and I can't access the partition from there. In Racy it happens unexpectedly at random times, although not real frequent, in Wary it happens after the second/third time I click on a partition icon. In Racy the problem disappears after restarting X, in Wary I have to reboot. In both Racy and Wary I can still mount and access the partitions via Pmount or ROX-Filer (in /mnt/nameofpartition). The problem doesn't have to do with partition types (NTFS, VFAT, etc.), all of them are affected.

Are you running with default en_US locale, or your langpack? if the latter, test with default English, as it may be a bug in one of the translations that is corrupting a script.

Last edited by BarryK on Sun 01 Apr 2012, 19:16; edited 1 time in total
James C

PostPosted: Sun 01 Apr 2012, 19:13    Post subject: Re: flash 11.r202 not working  

broomdodger wrote:
broomdodger wrote:
racy5291
frugal manual
automatic flash install

flash 11.r102 is working
I have tried several times on the IBM ThinkPad X30 and Flashplayer 11.2.202.228 does not work.

--BUT--

Just discovered the same problem here with the 5.2.91 install on my Athlon XP box. No go with 11.2r202 but no problem with older versions.Not just in SeaMonkey...no working Flash in Opera 11.62 either.
Glad I saved the older version. Laughing

Traditional frugal hdd install on ext3 partition.
James C

PostPosted: Sun 01 Apr 2012, 19:21    Post subject: Re: flash 11.r202 not working  

James C wrote:
broomdodger wrote:
broomdodger wrote:
racy5291
frugal manual
automatic flash install

flash 11.r102 is working

--BUT--

Just discovered the same problem here with the 5.2.91 install on my Athlon XP box. No go with 11.2r202 but no problem with older versions.Not just in SeaMonkey...no working Flash in Opera 11.62 either.
Glad I saved the older version. Laughing

Traditional frugal hdd install on ext3 partition.

Apparently it's either a problem with Flash itself or somehow hardware related........ just upgraded Flash in my Lucid 528 full install...... no Flash there either.Downgrade again. Laughing

Lucid 528,Opera 11.62 and latest Flash I just saw this message.....
flash message.png
 Description   
 Filesize   18.72 KB
 Viewed   1251 Time(s)

flash message.png

James C

PostPosted: Sun 01 Apr 2012, 19:39    Post subject:  

Don't have Wary installed on an Intel box at the moment, but I do have several Puppies. Upgraded an Exprimo install to the latest Flash and no flash problems on an Intel P4 cpu.
Maybe Adobe doesn't like AMD anymore.

EDIT:

Did a quick manual frugal install of 5.2.91 on this Intel box. Downloaded and installed the latest Flash...... No Flash problems in Wary either with the Intel cpu. FWIW.
vicmz

PostPosted: Sun 01 Apr 2012, 20:44    Post subject:  

BarryK wrote:
vicmz wrote:

Are you running with default en_US locale, or your langpack? if the latter, test with default English, as it may be a bug in one of the translations that is corrupting a script.

It's a frugal install (CD+savefile@USB). I don't upgrade my save-file, I always make a new, fresh save-file. Unfortunately it seems it hasn't anything to do with the locale or the language pack, although it might have something to do with UTF-8. I tested Racy with default en_US and from CD, no frugal install, I had the same problem, but as I said, it isn't as frequent as in Wary and disappears after restaring X. I'll test again and tell later.

sszindian

PostPosted: Sun 01 Apr 2012, 22:10    Post subject: 5.2.91  

sszindian wrote:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ran Racy all day without a hitch using WiFi... went to shutdown this evening, and Racy 'HUNG' on the shutdown just before updating the savefile. After 10-minutes I knew a shutdown wouldn't happen so was forced to do 'push and hold power button on computer' to shutdown.

Upon trying to reboot with Racy, all that I get is:

ext2-fs (loop): error: ext2 lookup: deleted inode reference: 16451

and it goes on and on through a bunch of numbers after that so am forced to shutdow with power button again...

Hope It can be recovered?

Bummer BK! and just when I thought Racy was really doing a fantastic job.

>>>---Indian------>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BK Wrote: What is Puppy booting off? Frugal install hard drive? USB Flash? CD?

sszindian reply: CD w/savefile on HHD

BK Wrote: Also, is it a pristine installation, or did you upgrade a save-file?

sszindian reply: upgraded a save-file (have been upgrading this same savefile since the beginning of Racy, every new version, without an issue... close to 10GB in the save file.)

Since the error, loaded a pfix=ram of 5.2.91 with eth0 connected, Racy found eth0 automatically and connected to Internet. Then... switched connections to WiFi (wlan0) and was able to config that without issue using the rt2800usb. After running wlan0 for approx an hour, wlano slowed down to a creeping-crawl and kept getting slower and slower... 2-minutes to load another site page. I closed down Seamonkey and plugged the eth0 cable back in, Racy didn't auto config eth0... I had to do a re-setup of eth0 from the wizard to get it to connect again. Now... I run this same computer with Exprimo and never encounter a wlan0 problem running all day so it seems to me that something isn't quiet right possibly in the firmware of rt2800usb in Racy? Just a stab in the dark mind you!

>>>---Indian------>

aarf

PostPosted: Sun 01 Apr 2012, 22:23    Post subject:  

vicmz wrote:

i have this 'failed to execute child process, permission denied' problem with desktop launchers i created in the latest saluki.16, i cant get past it. wasnt there before in saluki15 and seems a permission error somewhere. if it is in racy too maybe problem in woof?? but i dont have the same problem in racy529x.
saluki16 is manual frugal upgrade english on internal ssd. ditto for racy529x
Screenshot.png
 Description   
 Filesize   35.99 KB
 Viewed   1150 Time(s)

Screenshot.png

Last edited by aarf on Sun 01 Apr 2012, 22:37; edited 2 times in total
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Sun 01 Apr 2012, 22:35    Post subject:  

vicmz wrote:
BarryK wrote:
vicmz wrote:

It's a frugal install (CD+savefile@USB). I don't upgrade my save-file, I always make a new, fresh save-file. Unfortunately it seems it hasn't anything to do with the locale or the language pack, although it might have something to do with UTF-8. I tested Racy with default en_US and from CD, no frugal install, I had the same problem, but as I said, it isn't as frequent as in Wary and disappears after restaring X. I'll test again and tell later.

I was able to reproduce the bug, but only after I had installed your langpack.

Somehow the 'AppRun' file for the partition is not getting created. The most likely scripts are /sbin/clean_desk_icons and /sbin/pup_event_frontend_d, and I thought that it might be the translation file for the latter.
But it seems not. The problem just went away and wouldn't come back. I don't know why.

I will do more testing.

If you do this:

# touch /var/local/pup_event_icon_change_flag

then restart X, /sbin/clean_desk_icons will redraw all the desktop drive icons. This was failing, the contents inside /root/.pup_event/drive_sda9 (for example) are supposed to be 'AppInfo.xml' and 'AppRun' however these files were not getting created.

But the problem went away, so I have given it a rest for awhile. Need to have lunch.

sszindian

PostPosted: Sun 01 Apr 2012, 22:52    Post subject: 5-2.91  

On the fresh boot, pfix=ram and new savefile install of Racy-5.2.91

Encountered the exact same problem as posted earlier... on my third shutdown...

Racy Puppy is now shutting down...
(with a blinking curser here)

That's as far as it goes... Ctrl-Alt-Delete (after 10-minutes) produced the same as above.

Again had to do a 'cold press the power button' on the computer to shut down. BUT... strangly, on a reboot I didn't get any errors and booted right back into Racy! eth0 auto configed and posting from it now... I will have to check for 'damage' but at a later time, 15-hours is enough for a day!

Strange....

(Phewwww... this testing is getting to be a lot of work...) Smile

>>>---Indian------>

Terryphi

PostPosted: Mon 02 Apr 2012, 01:53    Post subject:  

James C wrote:

I can confirm that. My old Acer Aspire 1350 with AMD Athlon does not run the latest flashplayer 11.2.202.228 but is happy with previous version 11.1.102.63.

James C

PostPosted: Mon 02 Apr 2012, 02:24    Post subject:  

Terryphi wrote:
James C wrote:

I can confirm that. My old Acer Aspire 1350 with AMD Athlon does not run the latest flashplayer 11.2.202.228 but is happy with previous version 11.1.102.63.

Guess it's just older AMD. On my newer AMD quad-core box flash 11.2 r202 works without any problems.
I'm curious now whether the new flash will work on old P3 boxes anymore.
Page 17 of 20 [293 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Jump to: