broomdodger wrote:flash 11.r202 not working
racy5291
frugal manual
automatic flash install
flash 11.r202 not working

delete /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so

copy flash 11.r102 from racy5290
flash 11.r102 is working
I have tried several times on the IBM ThinkPad X30 and Flashplayer 11.2.202.228 does not work.
Checking the <http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/> no player detected.

Flashplayer 11.1.102.63 works works with racy5291.

--BUT--

On the Acer TravelMate 4670 Flashplayer 11.2.202.228 works with racy5291.
What CPU does the Thinkpad X30 have?

There have been issues with the Adobe player requiring a machine-language instruction that is not in an older CPU.

This is an awkward situation. I have added a warning, after the player is downloaded, that if it doesn't work, try an older one -- a PET in the Puppy Package Manager.
I do have the same problem with my ASRock K7VT4Apro AthlonXP3000+ MoBo.

Rem: That's funny, some youtube videos play right away, others don't. (Looks like an April 1st flashplayer update :wink: )

-Processor-
Name: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 3000+
Family,model,stepping: 6, 10, 0 (AMD Athlon XP/MP (Barton))
Vendor: AuthenticAMD
-Configuration-
Cache Size: 512kb
Frequency: 2166.05MHz
BogoMIPS: 4332.10
Byte Order: Little Endian
-Features-
FDIV Bug: no
HLT Bug: no
F00F Bug: no
Coma Bug: no
Has FPU: yes
-Cache-
Level 1(Data): 2-way set-associative, 512 sets, 64KB size
Level 1(Instruction): 2-way set-associative, 512 sets, 64KB size
Level 2(Unified): 16-way set-associative, 512 sets, 512KB size
-Capabilities-
fpu: Floating Point Unit
vme: Virtual 86 Mode Extension
de: Debug Extensions - I/O breakpoints
pse: Page Size Extensions (4MB pages)
tsc: Time Stamp Counter and RDTSC instruction
msr: Model Specific Registers
pae: Physical Address Extensions
mce: Machine Check Architeture
cx8: CMPXCHG8 instruction
apic: Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controller
sep: Fast System Call (SYSENTER/SYSEXIT)
mtrr: Memory Type Range Registers
pge: Page Global Enable
mca: Machine Check Architecture
cmov: Conditional Move instruction
pat: Page Attribute Table
pse36: 36bit Page Size Extensions
mmx: MMX technology
fxsr: FXSAVE and FXRSTOR instructions
sse: SSE instructions
syscall: SYSCALL and SYSEXIT instructions
mmxext: Extended MMX Technology
3dnowext: Extended 3DNow! Technology
3dnow: 3DNow! Technology
up: smp kernel running on up

vicmz

#242 Post by vicmz »

I have this problem in both Racy and Wary. When I click a partition icon, I get an error message 'failed to execute child process' and I can't access the partition from there. In Racy it happens unexpectedly at random times, although not real frequent, in Wary it happens after the second/third time I click on a partition icon. In Racy the problem disappears after restarting X, in Wary I have to reboot. In both Racy and Wary I can still mount and access the partitions via Pmount or ROX-Filer (in /mnt/nameofpartition). The problem doesn't have to do with partition types (NTFS, VFAT, etc.), all of them are affected.
Attachments
failed-to-open-usb-drive.png
(39.43 KiB) Downloaded 1476 times
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76948]Puppy Linux en español[/url]

puppyluvr

#243 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
Quick post..
D/L the latest for a spin...
Very impressive BK!!
Nailed everything OOTB.. Wireless (RT5390 via 2800pci), Resolution for a 55 inch monitor dead on.. GL worked OOTB as well, a pleasant surprise!! Every app ran, all formats played.. 2barks at boot...Fullscreen video doesnt work, will investigate..
Blazing fast!!
Composite via installed gcompmgr works flawlessly as well.
I bought 5 cd`s for this one, to spread it around and test it on as many machines as I can..
Will be back to report..
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: 5.2.91

#244 Post by BarryK »

sszindian wrote:Ran Racy all day without a hitch using WiFi... went to shutdown this evening, and Racy 'HUNG' on the shutdown just before updating the savefile. After 10-minutes I knew a shutdown wouldn't happen so was forced to do 'push and hold power button on computer' to shutdown.

Upon trying to reboot with Racy, all that I get is:

ext2-fs (loop): error: ext2 lookup: deleted inode reference: 16451

and it goes on and on through a bunch of numbers after that so am forced to shutdow with power button again...

Hope It can be recovered?

Bummer BK! and just when I thought Racy was really doing a fantastic job.

>>>---Indian------>
What is Puppy booting off? Frugal install hard drive? USB Flash? CD?

Also, is it a pristine installation, or did you upgrade a save-file?
Last edited by BarryK on Sun 01 Apr 2012, 23:14, edited 1 time in total.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#245 Post by BarryK »

vicmz wrote:I have this problem in both Racy and Wary. When I click a partition icon, I get an error message 'failed to execute child process' and I can't access the partition from there. In Racy it happens unexpectedly at random times, although not real frequent, in Wary it happens after the second/third time I click on a partition icon. In Racy the problem disappears after restarting X, in Wary I have to reboot. In both Racy and Wary I can still mount and access the partitions via Pmount or ROX-Filer (in /mnt/nameofpartition). The problem doesn't have to do with partition types (NTFS, VFAT, etc.), all of them are affected.

Are you running with default en_US locale, or your langpack? if the latter, test with default English, as it may be a bug in one of the translations that is corrupting a script.
Last edited by BarryK on Sun 01 Apr 2012, 23:16, edited 1 time in total.

James C

Re: flash 11.r202 not working

#246 Post by James C »

broomdodger wrote:
racy5291
frugal manual
automatic flash install

flash 11.r102 is working
I have tried several times on the IBM ThinkPad X30 and Flashplayer 11.2.202.228 does not work.

--BUT--

Just discovered the same problem here with the 5.2.91 install on my Athlon XP box. No go with 11.2r202 but no problem with older versions.Not just in SeaMonkey...no working Flash in Opera 11.62 either.
Glad I saved the older version. :lol:

Traditional frugal hdd install on ext3 partition.

James C

Re: flash 11.r202 not working

#247 Post by James C »

James C wrote:
broomdodger wrote:
racy5291
frugal manual
automatic flash install

flash 11.r102 is working

--BUT--

Just discovered the same problem here with the 5.2.91 install on my Athlon XP box. No go with 11.2r202 but no problem with older versions.Not just in SeaMonkey...no working Flash in Opera 11.62 either.
Glad I saved the older version. :lol:

Traditional frugal hdd install on ext3 partition.
Apparently it's either a problem with Flash itself or somehow hardware related........ just upgraded Flash in my Lucid 528 full install...... no Flash there either.Downgrade again. :lol:

Lucid 528,Opera 11.62 and latest Flash I just saw this message.....
Attachments
flash message.png
(18.72 KiB) Downloaded 1494 times

James C

#248 Post by James C »

Don't have Wary installed on an Intel box at the moment, but I do have several Puppies. Upgraded an Exprimo install to the latest Flash and no flash problems on an Intel P4 cpu.
Maybe Adobe doesn't like AMD anymore.

EDIT:

Did a quick manual frugal install of 5.2.91 on this Intel box. Downloaded and installed the latest Flash...... No Flash problems in Wary either with the Intel cpu. FWIW.

vicmz

#249 Post by vicmz »

BarryK wrote:
vicmz wrote:I have this problem in both Racy and Wary. When I click a partition icon, I get an error message 'failed to execute child process' and I can't access the partition from there. In Racy it happens unexpectedly at random times, although not real frequent, in Wary it happens after the second/third time I click on a partition icon. In Racy the problem disappears after restarting X, in Wary I have to reboot. In both Racy and Wary I can still mount and access the partitions via Pmount or ROX-Filer (in /mnt/nameofpartition). The problem doesn't have to do with partition types (NTFS, VFAT, etc.), all of them are affected.

Are you running with default en_US locale, or your langpack? if the latter, test with default English, as it may be a bug in one of the translations that is corrupting a script.
It's a frugal install (CD+savefile@USB). I don't upgrade my save-file, I always make a new, fresh save-file. Unfortunately it seems it hasn't anything to do with the locale or the language pack, although it might have something to do with UTF-8. I tested Racy with default en_US and from CD, no frugal install, I had the same problem, but as I said, it isn't as frequent as in Wary and disappears after restaring X. I'll test again and tell later.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76948]Puppy Linux en español[/url]

sszindian

#250 Post by sszindian »

sszindian wrote:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ran Racy all day without a hitch using WiFi... went to shutdown this evening, and Racy 'HUNG' on the shutdown just before updating the savefile. After 10-minutes I knew a shutdown wouldn't happen so was forced to do 'push and hold power button on computer' to shutdown.

Upon trying to reboot with Racy, all that I get is:

ext2-fs (loop): error: ext2 lookup: deleted inode reference: 16451

and it goes on and on through a bunch of numbers after that so am forced to shutdow with power button again...

Hope It can be recovered?

Bummer BK! and just when I thought Racy was really doing a fantastic job.

>>>---Indian------>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BK Wrote: What is Puppy booting off? Frugal install hard drive? USB Flash? CD?

sszindian reply: CD w/savefile on HHD

BK Wrote: Also, is it a pristine installation, or did you upgrade a save-file?

sszindian reply: upgraded a save-file (have been upgrading this same savefile since the beginning of Racy, every new version, without an issue... close to 10GB in the save file.)

Since the error, loaded a pfix=ram of 5.2.91 with eth0 connected, Racy found eth0 automatically and connected to Internet. Then... switched connections to WiFi (wlan0) and was able to config that without issue using the rt2800usb. After running wlan0 for approx an hour, wlano slowed down to a creeping-crawl and kept getting slower and slower... 2-minutes to load another site page. I closed down Seamonkey and plugged the eth0 cable back in, Racy didn't auto config eth0... I had to do a re-setup of eth0 from the wizard to get it to connect again. Now... I run this same computer with Exprimo and never encounter a wlan0 problem running all day so it seems to me that something isn't quiet right possibly in the firmware of rt2800usb in Racy? Just a stab in the dark mind you!

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

aarf

#251 Post by aarf »

i have this 'failed to execute child process, permission denied' problem with desktop launchers i created in the latest saluki.16, i cant get past it. wasnt there before in saluki15 and seems a permission error somewhere. if it is in racy too maybe problem in woof?? but i dont have the same problem in racy529x.
saluki16 is manual frugal upgrade english on internal ssd. ditto for racy529x
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(35.99 KiB) Downloaded 1558 times
Last edited by aarf on Mon 02 Apr 2012, 02:37, edited 2 times in total.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#252 Post by BarryK »

vicmz wrote:
BarryK wrote:

It's a frugal install (CD+savefile@USB). I don't upgrade my save-file, I always make a new, fresh save-file. Unfortunately it seems it hasn't anything to do with the locale or the language pack, although it might have something to do with UTF-8. I tested Racy with default en_US and from CD, no frugal install, I had the same problem, but as I said, it isn't as frequent as in Wary and disappears after restaring X. I'll test again and tell later.
I was able to reproduce the bug, but only after I had installed your langpack.

Somehow the 'AppRun' file for the partition is not getting created. The most likely scripts are /sbin/clean_desk_icons and /sbin/pup_event_frontend_d, and I thought that it might be the translation file for the latter.
But it seems not. The problem just went away and wouldn't come back. I don't know why.

I will do more testing.

If you do this:

# touch /var/local/pup_event_icon_change_flag

then restart X, /sbin/clean_desk_icons will redraw all the desktop drive icons. This was failing, the contents inside /root/.pup_event/drive_sda9 (for example) are supposed to be 'AppInfo.xml' and 'AppRun' however these files were not getting created.

But the problem went away, so I have given it a rest for awhile. Need to have lunch.

sszindian

5-2.91

#253 Post by sszindian »

On the fresh boot, pfix=ram and new savefile install of Racy-5.2.91

Encountered the exact same problem as posted earlier... on my third shutdown...

Racy Puppy is now shutting down...
(with a blinking curser here)

That's as far as it goes... Ctrl-Alt-Delete (after 10-minutes) produced the same as above.

Again had to do a 'cold press the power button' on the computer to shut down. BUT... strangly, on a reboot I didn't get any errors and booted right back into Racy! eth0 auto configed and posting from it now... I will have to check for 'damage' but at a later time, 15-hours is enough for a day!

Strange....

(Phewwww... this testing is getting to be a lot of work...) :)

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

Terryphi

#254 Post by Terryphi »

James C wrote: Maybe Adobe doesn't like AMD anymore.
I can confirm that. My old Acer Aspire 1350 with AMD Athlon does not run the latest flashplayer 11.2.202.228 but is happy with previous version 11.1.102.63.
[b]Classic Opera 12.16 browser SFS package[/b] for Precise, Slacko, Racy, Wary, Lucid, etc available[url=http://terryphillips.org.uk/operasfs.htm]here[/url] :)

James C

#255 Post by James C »

Terryphi wrote:
I can confirm that. My old Acer Aspire 1350 with AMD Athlon does not run the latest flashplayer 11.2.202.228 but is happy with previous version 11.1.102.63.
Guess it's just older AMD. On my newer AMD quad-core box flash 11.2 r202 works without any problems.
I'm curious now whether the new flash will work on old P3 boxes anymore.

James C

#256 Post by James C »

James C wrote:
Terryphi wrote:
Guess it's just older AMD. On my newer AMD quad-core box flash 11.2 r202 works without any problems.
I'm curious now whether the new flash will work on old P3 boxes anymore.
Booted into Wary on my old reliable P3 test box and the latest Flashplayer is a total no go.Looks like they've quit supporting older hardware.

vicmz

#257 Post by vicmz »

BarryK wrote: I was able to reproduce the bug, but only after I had installed your langpack.
Confirmed, I got the same result. However, at least in Wary I didn't have any problems booting from CD without a save-file, even after installing and activating langpack_es. The bug appeared after I created a save-file with the default settings (en_US, UTF-8 turned off, etc.), rebooted, installed langpack and changed system language. I can't tell if the type of drive has something to do, as I use at least three computers so I can't have a save-file on the hard disk of each one, I always use flash drives. I did read the blog post about unionfs, but if there's a file or files in my langpack that may be causing any problems, please send me a private message or report it here, and I will remove the file and replace it with a new one when available.

On another topic, the attached file contains eight more menu entry files that have translations that can only be fixed by replacing the equivalent files in Woof. This time I made sure there weren't any more of them. No need to rush, they can be included for future releases.
Attachments
applications-es.tar.gz
fixes for menu entries in /usr/share/applications
(1.88 KiB) Downloaded 950 times

BarryK
Puppy Master

#258 Post by BarryK »

vicmz wrote:
BarryK wrote: I was able to reproduce the bug, but only after I had installed your langpack.
Confirmed, I got the same result. However, at least in Wary I didn't have any problems booting from CD without a save-file, even after installing and activating langpack_es. The bug appeared after I created a save-file with the default settings (en_US, UTF-8 turned off, etc.), rebooted, installed langpack and changed system language. I can't tell if the type of drive has something to do, as I use at least three computers so I can't have a save-file on the hard disk of each one, I always use flash drives. I did read the blog post about unionfs, but if there's a file or files in my langpack that may be causing any problems, please send me a private message or report it here, and I will remove the file and replace it with a new one when available.

On another topic, the attached file contains eight more menu entry files that have translations that can only be fixed by replacing the equivalent files in Woof. This time I made sure there weren't any more of them. No need to rush, they can be included for future releases.
vicmz,
I was wrong about needing your langpack to bring on the bug.
I am able to consistently cause it with a pristine Wary, and en_US.

Let's see, booting off USB stick, I create a save-file, reboot, then do the touch thing:

Then reboot, desktop drive icons working.

then do it again:

then restart X, then click drive icon -- bug!

I tracked down the cause:

http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02777

I have reported this on the Unionfs mail list.

Anyway, this is a serious bug, so I am changing over to Aufs. Unfortunately, Aufs dropped support for the 2.6.32 kernel 8 months ago, so have to use an older version (2.1) of Aufs. For the 3.0.25 kernel I am going to use for Racy, using latest Aufs3.

This means that there will have to be a RC3.

L18L

Re: Wary/Racy 5.3RC (5.2.90)

#259 Post by L18L »

BarryK wrote:
L18L wrote:# msginit
alsaconf.pot:208: missing `msgstr' section
msginit: found 1 fatal error
#

Thus "bad news" when trying to translate

fixed by:

Code: Select all

#: alsaconf:1228
#msgid ""
Thanks for that. I have fixed it in Woof:

rootfs-skeleton/usr/share/doc/nls/alsaconf/alsaconf.pot

I will upload Woof soon.
This has to be manually inserted into alsaconf.pot:

#: alsaconf:54
msgid "Yes"
msgstr ""

#: alsaconf:55
msgid "No"
msgstr ""

:)

------------------------
edit
nouveau_unload
I do not have nouveau or nv, but maybe this 1 line is useful:

Code: Select all

[ `lsmod | grep nouveau` ] || exit # script is useful only if nouveau loaded
if nouveau module is not loaded then exit :)

L18L

Wary/Racy 5.3RC3 (5.3)

#260 Post by L18L »

BarryK wrote:...
Anyway, please play with the apps, let us know if anything crashes and burns.
xgamma-gui is an essential bug fix.

Though I doubt anyone will use it...
...and nothing will crash if it is not applied :wink: