Boot pup001 without CD

Using applications, configuring, problems
ecomoney

Boot pup001 without CD

#1 Post by ecomoney »

Hi All, Ive just been given a stinkpad 560x laptop with 96mb Ram and a FAT32 4gig disk and windows 98SE. It has a detachable cd/rw and floppy. I have a pup001 file from puppy 1.09 that ive been using for a while with all of my favourite apps in it, but I quite often change this and swap it with other pup001's

I know it is possible to install puppy to your hard drive, but how I would really like it to be set up is that it dual boots the either the pup001 file or windoze 98 from the FAT32 partition when I switch the laptop on without having to attach floppy disk or CD-ROM. The pup001 is already set at startup to use a 500mb puppy.swp file so the limited RAM shouldnt be a problem (should it?). I have seen this done using the XP installer for ntfs partitions but I would like to know how to do this manually.

I also have a 3.5 to 2.5 laptop IDE cable adaptor and a couple of normal desktop puppy pcs so I can use that if it helps to set it up. I also have the new 2.02 puppy to use GParted if needed. Instructions for 2.02 would be useful also as I intend to migrate to it soon.

Thanks in advance.
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

ICPUG

#2 Post by ICPUG »

Ecomoney,

I am not sure if it will help but at the following location I explain how to set up Puppy 1.0.9CE MANUALLY to boot from either WIn 98/FAT32 or Windows XP/NTFS/FAT32. These instructions enable dual booting with Windows.

http://www.icpug.org.uk/national/linnwin/contents.htm

I am planning to update the instructions to Puppy 2.02 soon.

A thought regarding dual booting different pup001 files. Can you rename one of them pup002 and then have two entries on your grub menu - one referring to pup001 and the other to pup002?

ICPUG