Wary/Racy 5.3RC2 (5.2.91)

Please post any bugs you have found
Jades

Flash crashing on older machines

#261 Post by Jades »

James C wrote:Booted into Wary on my old reliable P3 test box and the latest Flashplayer is a total no go.Looks like they've quit supporting older hardware.
I've seen this too on my AMD K6-2 500 machine. Seamonkey was bombing out on certain pages. Tried launching it from the console and when it crashed I got an 'Illegal Instruction' error - this is typical of things which aren't compatible with the CPU. In the case of the K6-2, it lacks the CMOV instruction so pets compiled for i686 and above give that error.

I tried the same pages on a pfix=ram boot and hit cancel when requested to download the Flash Player. Seamonkey would then work without crashing on the pages which previously presented problems. It does look like an incompatible Flash Player is the cause.

Automatic downloading of Flash Player should probably be disabled for the time being. Is there a way to produce a Pet for an i486 version?
Last edited by Jades on Wed 04 Apr 2012, 21:46, edited 1 time in total.
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]
Merlin - Core i5-4590, 8GB RAM, Radeon R9 270X. Slacko 5.7.0

Jades

Re: Flash crashing on older machines

#262 Post by Jades »

Other than the Flash thing, which I should probably have checked much earlier (the K6 is usually in a room without an internet connection), Wary seems to work quite well on the K6-2.
Last edited by Jades on Wed 04 Apr 2012, 22:01, edited 1 time in total.

Billtoo

Wary/Racy 5.3RC2 (5.2.91)

#263 Post by Billtoo »

It's working well here.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(25.63 KiB) Downloaded 2756 times

James C

#264 Post by James C »

Wary 5.3 (frugal install) looking really good here. No problems yet. Even Wget and Video upgrade are working correctly.Using the 10.3.183.18 flash with no problem on this Athlon XP box.

# report-video
Wary Puppy, version 5.3 on Wed 4 Apr 2012

Chip description:
0.0 VGA compatible controller
nVidia Corporation NV18 [GeForce4 MX 440 AGP 8x] (rev c1)
oem: NVidia
product: NV18 () Board Chip Rev A2

X Server: Xorg
Driver used: nv

X.Org version: 1.3.0
dimensions: 1440x900 pixels (411x263 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/root/ as report-video,
and archived with xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log as report-video-full.gz
#

antiloquax

#265 Post by antiloquax »

Wary 5.3 on a Pentium II machine. Very good!
The gears were barely moving though! Everything else was quick (faster than Windows 7 on a Core-Duo laptop anyway!)
Attachments
sysinfo.tar.gz
(9.19 KiB) Downloaded 902 times
glx.png
(119.92 KiB) Downloaded 2262 times
My System:Arch-Arm on RPi!
"[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76049l]RacyPy[/url]" puplet on Toshiba Tecra 8200. PIII, 256 MB RAM.
[url=http://raspberrypy.tumblr.com/]RaspberryPy[/url]: Lobster and I blog about the RPi.

vtpup

Open Office won't open

#266 Post by vtpup »

Running Racy 5.3 latest on new Acer Aspire 5349-2635.

Wireless and sound worked out of the box with this computer (unlike Lupu 528, and Wary).

I downloaded openoffice-3.1.1-sfs4.sfs using the Install button and installed it using the bootmanager.

Unfortunately clicking on the program icons brings up the Open Office registration dialog, which never is fulfilled. Adding entries in the fields, and then closing with the Finish button does not open the OO program selected originally. Nothing happens.

Then if you click on a program again, you get the same registration dialog with blank fields again. So there's no way to ever open any of the programs.
[color=darkblue]Acer Aspire 5349-2635 laptop Tahrpup.[/color]
[color=blue]Acer R11 and C720 Chromebks Bionicpup64[/color]
[color=olive]Acer Iconia A1-830 tablet no pup[/color]
[color=orange]www.sredmond.com[/color]

Terryphi

Re: Open Office won't open

#267 Post by Terryphi »

vtpup wrote:Running Racy 5.3 latest on new Acer Aspire 5349-2635.

I downloaded openoffice-3.1.1-sfs4.sfs using the Install button and installed it using the bootmanager.

Unfortunately clicking on the program icons brings up the Open Office registration dialog, which never is fulfilled. Adding entries in the fields, and then closing with the Finish button does not open the OO program selected originally. Nothing happens.

Then if you click on a program again, you get the same registration dialog with blank fields again. So there's no way to ever open any of the programs.
vtpup, it has been a long time since I first used that SFS but I did not see the problem you report. You can just select the do not register option. Possibly you get the problem trying to register because the registration server does not exist anymore at the coded URL.
[b]Classic Opera 12.16 browser SFS package[/b] for Precise, Slacko, Racy, Wary, Lucid, etc available[url=http://terryphillips.org.uk/operasfs.htm]here[/url] :)

vtpup

#268 Post by vtpup »

Thanks for answering Terryphi, but nope I hadn't wanted to register the program in the first place, and had made "I do not want to register", "do not check for updates" and hit Finish.

Also tried both adding my name and not adding my name (presumably for initial doc properties when OO runs). No go on either of these.

Also tried just hitting Cancel at the start of the wizard. Same behavior. Simply closes program.

Running from console "swriter" causes the same behavior. Program closes after the dialog with no error messages in terminal.

While I'm interested in a workaround, I'm mainly reporting here as a possible bug.

vtpup

#269 Post by vtpup »

On my keyboard (computer type listed in sig below), the screen dimming keys work, but are reversed -- the brighter key makes the screen dimmer, and vice versa.

FeodorF

Re: Open Office won't open version 3.1.1

#270 Post by FeodorF »

vtpup wrote:Running Racy 5.3 latest on new Acer Aspire 5349-2635.

Wireless and sound worked out of the box with this computer (unlike Lupu 528, and Wary).

Yes, you are right, 3.1.1 is a no go.

There is an other one you can try. It's Open Office version 3.2.

This one works fine with Racy and Wary. You can find it on 'ibiblio' or one of the others.

f.e.: http://ftp.nluug.nl/os/Linux/distr/pupp ... modules-5/
c8d9d74f75a1adb968643c5c6d84224b openoffice-3.2-dpup-sfs4.sfs (md5)

After downloading, installing and reboot you'll get the same registration window again:

- click on "I don't want.."
- on the next one "JRE Required.." just click for o.k.

After restarting Open Office you will get a final window
- "No, I do not want to .."

From there on Open Office will be all yours. - No more funny pop ups.

Cheers, Feodor
Attachments
HowToOpenOffice3.2.step6.png
(23.54 KiB) Downloaded 2350 times
HowToOpenOffice3.2.step5.png
(43.57 KiB) Downloaded 2396 times
HowToOpenOffice3.2.step4.png
(92.58 KiB) Downloaded 1905 times
HowToOpenOffice3.2.step3.png
(26.64 KiB) Downloaded 1947 times

npierce

Subject: Acer Aspire backlight keys

#271 Post by npierce »

vtpup wrote:. . . the screen dimming keys work, but are reversed -- the brighter key makes the screen dimmer, and vice versa.
Try adding the following arguments at the end of your boot command line:

Code: Select all

acpi_backlight=vendor acpi_osi=Linux
This works for an Acer Aspire 5755. Your results may vary. :)

vtpup

#272 Post by vtpup »

Thanks,npierce. It doesn't seem to change things. But It's no biggie. I mainly reported it here because I thought it might be helpful information as a bug report, though a minor one.

vtpup

Re: Open Office won't open version 3.1.1

#273 Post by vtpup »

FeodorF wrote:
Yes, you are right, 3.1.1 is a no go.

There is an other one you can try. It's Open Office version 3.2.

This one works fine with Racy and Wary. You can find it on 'ibiblio' or one of the others.

f.e.: http://ftp.nluug.nl/os/Linux/distr/pupp ... modules-5/
c8d9d74f75a1adb968643c5c6d84224b openoffice-3.2-dpup-sfs4.sfs (md5)

Cheers, Feodor
Thanks very much Feodorf. I haven't tried OO 3.2 as an sfs yet, but had already downloaded Libre Office, and that worked.

I'd suggest here in the bug reports section that Open Office 3.1 sfs be removed from the Racy official repository as it comes up in the sfs installer -- and it's a long download 160mb. The 3.2 version should probably be there instead.

Thanks again Feodorf!

npierce

#274 Post by npierce »

BarryK wrote:
antiloquax wrote:Having a bit of a problem with ffmpeg. Trying to run Lobster's screen video-capture script, but I get

unknown input format: 'x11grab'
Hmmm, that is strange. Wary/Racy has a recompiled ffmpeg, but x11-grab was enabled.

Did it work with an earlier version of Wary/Racy?

Would you mind trying the older ffmpeg, get it from here:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/pet_pa ... 02-w5c.pet

The reason that I recompiled it, is that it had network support disabled, that someone wanted for Pmusic.
Today I tried running Lobster's script with both the old (ffmpeg-20111002-w5c.pet) and new (fmpeg-20111002-1-w5c.pet) versions. Both gave the "unknown input format: 'x11grab'" error.

Support for x11grab can also be tested like this:

ffmpeg -formats 2>/dev/null | grep x11grab
Both versions failed to list the x11grab format.

The ffmpeg-0.8.4-i686-s.pet version grabbed the X11 screen OK and listed the format:

# ffmpeg -formats 2>/dev/null | grep x11grab
 D  x11grab
(But be aware that installing this .pet in Wary will break other things, such as some libraries used by mplayer.)

What is the difference in the versions? I found some information that seems to indicate that if certain libraries, header files, and functions needed to support x11grab were not available when ffmpeg was compiled, support for x11grab would not be included, yet no error message would be given at compile time.

For details, see this article (and search it for "x11grab"):
Capturing the Screen or Video of Your Virtual Machines Using X, Vnc, Rdp or Native ways

Of most interest is this bit of code from the configure file, provided in the article:
enabled x11grab &&
check_header X11/Xlib.h &&
check_header X11/extensions/XShm.h &&
check_header X11/extensions/Xfixes.h &&
check_func XOpenDisplay -lX11 &&
check_func XShmCreateImage -lX11 -lXext &&
check_func XFixesGetCursorImage -lX11 -lXext -lXfixes
According to an ffmpeg bug report (http://ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg/ticket/821), this has been fixed as of 2012-Mar-21. Now compilation should "die if x11grab dependencies are unavailable". One would hope that it will also give a useful error message. I have not tried it.

shinobar

ffmpeg and x11grub

#275 Post by shinobar »

npierce wrote:What is the difference in the versions? I found some information that seems to indicate that if certain libraries, header files, and functions needed to support x11grab were not available when ffmpeg was compiled, support for x11grab would not be included, yet no error message would be given at compile time.
Yes, it is a mystery.
I have tried to compile ffmpeg on Racy with x11grub.
I installed libXext and libXfixes on Racy, but still failed to enable x11grub support... :cry:
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

npierce

ffmpeg and x11grab

#276 Post by npierce »

I took a look at the configure script for ffmpeg, and noticed that it does not automatically track down the X libraries in /usr/X11R7/lib/. It only looks in the default library directories searched by gcc.

Since gcc will also look in $LIBRARY_PATH, I worked around the problem by temporarily setting that on the command line to be equal to $LD_LIBRARY_PATH, which has /usr/X11R7/lib/ in the path:

LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH ./configure --enable-gpl --enable-x11grab . . . [other options]
I had to do the same when running make:

LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH make
That worked.

But looking a little more deeply at configure, I saw that it has an option that allows us to do this without my work-around: --extra-ldflags=

./configure --extra-ldflags="-L/usr/X11R7/lib" --enable-gpl --enable-x11grab . . . [other options]
When configure runs, the "-L/usr/X11R7/lib" is prefixed to $LDFLAGS, which is saved in config.mak, so, using this method, nothing needs to be added to the make command.

Anyway, using either of the above methods I was able to create an ffmpeg that worked with Lobster's pup_rec script on Racy 5.2.2.

(One word of advice: When experimenting with building ffmpeg, don't be shy about using the "make clean" command. I became neglectful in that department, and was confused when things seemed to behave inconsistently.)

By the way, I used the source from Barry's site: http://bkhome.org/sources/alphabetical/ ... svn.tar.gz and modified the configure file according to the 2012-Mar-21 change that makes configure die with an error message when it can't find the X dependencies, instead of continuing happily on its way with no complaint.

With that fix, it does indeed die when it cannot find them, giving this error message:
configure wrote:/usr/lib/gcc/i486-t2-linux-gnu/4.3.4/../../../../i486-t2-linux-gnu/bin/ld: cannot find -lX11
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
ERROR: X11 not found
But there is no need to make this modification. I tested with the unmodified configuration file, and it works fine as long as it is told where to look for the X libraries. It just doesn't tell you that it couldn't find them if you forget to tell it.

Karl Godt

#277 Post by Karl Godt »

Seems the whole _PATH_ garbage from /etc/profile is of no real use ( except for the 'PATH' ) .

I have LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/X11R7/lib:/root/my-applications/lib:/usr/local/lib"

and here How To Use FFMPEG To Screencast from any Puppy Distro
i could compile ffmpeg with x11grab using --enable-pic
configuration:

--disable-yasm --enable-sram --enable-pic --enable-zlib --enable-bzlib --enable-gpl --enable-x11grab
Puppy 4 also has /usr/X11/lib like wary/racy .

shinobar

Re: ffmpeg and x11grab

#278 Post by shinobar »

npierce wrote:Since gcc will also look in $LIBRARY_PATH, I worked around the problem by temporarily setting that on the command line to be equal to $LD_LIBRARY_PATH, which has /usr/X11R7/lib/ in the path:
Great :!:
Got success to compile the ffmpeg with x11grub support on Wary/Racy-5.3.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=79871

export LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
./configure  --prefix=/usr --cpu=i486 --enable-shared --enable-gpl --enable-nonfree --enable-x11grab --enable-small --enable-runtime-cpudetect --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-libdc1394 --enable-libfaac --enable-libfreetype --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libschroedinger --enable-libspeex --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvpx --enable-libx264 --enable-libxvid --enable-zlib --enable-postproc --disable-debug --enable-bzlib --enable-version3 --enable-libtheora --enable-swscale
EDIT: removed '--disable-network'
Last edited by shinobar on Tue 31 Jul 2012, 00:53, edited 1 time in total.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

npierce

#279 Post by npierce »

shinobar,

It is good to hear that you had success!

If you remove the --disable-network option, ffmpeg should also support streaming from a URL, which will allow pmusic to work with radio streams.

For my own PC, I used the same options that Barry used in his 18 Mar 2012, 8:05 comment near the bottom of this blog entry: ffmpeg 20111002svn recompiled -- the comment where he removed --disable-network. I also removed --enable-network since, as Barry pointed out, that is the default. And, of course, I added --extra-ldflags="-L/usr/X11R7/lib".

Karl,

Thanks for the info. I was wondering about how others, including you, have done this in the past, so I appreciated reading about your successful method.

I see from the thread you referenced that you were able to compile ffmepeg 0.7.11 on Puppy 4.3.1. When I tried that version of the source on Puppy 4.3.1, using your options:

./configure --disable-yasm --enable-sram --enable-pic --enable-zlib --enable-bzlib --enable-gpl --enable-x11grab
configure didn't list x11_grab_device as an indev:
configure wrote:Enabled indevs:
alsa fbdev v4l
dv1394 oss v4l2
Only when I added --extra-ldflags="-L/usr/X11R7/lib" did I have success:

./configure --extra-ldflags="-L/usr/X11R7/lib" --disable-yasm --enable-sram --enable-pic --enable-zlib --enable-bzlib --enable-gpl --enable-x11grab
configure wrote:Enabled indevs:
alsa oss v4l2
dv1394 v4l x11_grab_device
fbde
So you must have worked additional magic.
Karl Godt wrote:The first time i compiled source i had to look into the /tmp/* folders for hints .
After installing several header and library packages it worked .
Perhaps you installed the libraries in /lib/ or /usr/lib/ where they would be found without the need to add anything to the library search path.

Karl Godt

#280 Post by Karl Godt »

npierce wrote: So you must have worked additional magic.
Karl Godt wrote:The first time i compiled source i had to look into the /tmp/* folders for hints .
After installing several header and library packages it worked .
Perhaps you installed the libraries in /lib/ or /usr/lib/ where they would be found without the need to add anything to the library search path.
Likely the libs from "--prefix=/usr" -debian did the trick
but i think that x11grab showed up at final ./configure output and also in ffmpeg --version
before this but simply did not compiled into ffmpeg which was very confusing .
I also tried shinobars' three ffmpeg-svn* back then saying x11grab enabled but did not work either and wondered what was wrong and found no messages about this on the forum .

I think the whole /etc/profile is worth to split into several /etc/profile.d/path files for better handling like /etc/profile.d/Puppy_QT, Puppy_Seamonkey, Puppy_XDG, Puppy_LD . Probably profile files need to be sourced by xwin too to be carried (exported) into X environment ( rxvt, urxvt, sakura, xterm, ... ).

I also must say that i started to disable the /etc/profile lookup in .bashrc long time ago .