Wary and Racy 5.3 final

Please post any bugs you have found
BarryK
Puppy Master

Wary and Racy 5.3 final

#1 Post by BarryK »

I am very pleased to announce the release of Wary Puppy 5.3 and Racy Puppy 5.3. My blog announcement (with download links):

http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02784

More detailed release notes:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/wary-5 ... ry-5.3.htm

This thread is for bug reports and any other feedback.

If anyone is interested to read some of the background, here is the Forum thread for the alpha, beta and 5.3RC releases:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76182
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

p310don

Wary and Racy Torrents

#2 Post by p310don »

Download and extract the attached .tar.gz files and then open the torrent.

Remember, please seed
Attachments
wary.tar.gz
(43.69 KiB) Downloaded 2296 times
racy5.3.tar.gz
(36.23 KiB) Downloaded 2274 times

yim

#3 Post by yim »

don't know if it's a bug, but some aac streaming radio sound like their under water (all audio girgles) don't know but it's only in wary and racy

James C

#4 Post by James C »

broomdodger

Glade icon is STILL missing -- a fix

#5 Post by broomdodger »

The icon for Menu > Utility > Glade Interface Designer is STILL missing with devx_racy_5.3.sfs installed.

I can fix it by adding a link:
/usr/share/pixmaps/glade-3.png

to:
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/glade-3.png

I have not used Glade, but Racy Puppy is sooo wonderful I think it should be as good as possible.

aarf

#6 Post by aarf »

racy manual frugal upgrade from 5291 to 53
my custom desktop icons didn't survive the upgrade. wifi is not auto-connecting on startup.

i have this script in startup which worked before in most everything now it wont work in 53

Code: Select all

#!/bin/ash
mkdir /mnt/sdb2 2>/dev/null
mount /dev/sdb2 /mnt/sdb2 2>/dev/null
exec  /mnt/sdb2/opera-11.62-1347.i386.linux/
in terminal
/root/Startup/mount-drives.sh: exec: line 4: /mnt/sdb2/opera-11.62-1347.i386.linux/: Permission denied
vaguely recall something about permisions of /dev/nul being the problem in lupu.
edit: changed the permissions on /dev/null rebooted still wont run. the sdb2 drive is desktop icon reported as mounted.
Last edited by aarf on Thu 05 Apr 2012, 06:10, edited 6 times in total.

duke93535

#7 Post by duke93535 »

The corner tags were left in the jwm DeepBlueBold-jwmrc at /root/.jwm/themes.

The newer jwm 574 does not play nicely with xcompmgr for shadowing, I had to install back to jwm 505 to get it working.

Other than these minor errors, it is ok.

duke

nooby

#8 Post by nooby »

I hate to complain.

But it does not show the blue dot that show that
the Firewall is active. Maybe such only exist on Lupu?

A more serious thing. It did not remember I chose
Swedish keyboard.

it did not remember the setting of full window audio.
reverting back to 82% and such lower levels on the other
sockets out too.

It told me I had to install Flash again despite flash got installed
when I did the fresh boot with no pupsave. So it failed to remember
or asking again despite I already accepted to install it.

Apart from that I like it
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

fyujj

Problem?

#9 Post by fyujj »

I installed the NVIDIA 260.19 driver from PPM and I'm having a strange issue.
The driver is working but nvidia-settings tells me to run nvidia-xconfig to configure xorg.conf properly.
The problem is that xorgwizard sets xorg.conf with
Driver "vesa" #card0driver
instead of "nvidia". But if I change that, or if I run nvidia-xconfig, then X won't start.
Is this some known issue (or non-issue)?

Volhout

frugal

#10 Post by Volhout »

P4 platform with 768M ram. Frugal install Racy 5.3 on EXT3 partition (sda4 in this case). Initial boot from CD perfect, firstrun, only set timezone (Europe), rest was OK. At shutdown created save file with all defaults on same partition.

Reboot from sda4: firstrun started again, and timezone had to be set again... since I don't live in Perth....
At shutdown I needed to create a save file again ! Used same parameters and name.

This time it memorized settings at power up.

This is different from other puppies. I have never bothered about it since I do not update my system very often. But now I look at it, it may be something that can be fixed.

Most puppies, when you boot first time from CD, do create a save file when first time shut down, as requested.

Most puppies however doe NOT save settings during this first shutdown. All changes made while running from CD do not end up in the save file first time you make the changes. Only when you reboot from the installed version (generally the second time), it writes them to the save file.

With Racy 5.3 however, I am not even sure it made the save file at all while running from CD, since it asked to create a save file again. I will try to duplicate this later tonight (busy making money ... work ... distracts from the real values in life).

Volhout

Argolance

#11 Post by Argolance »

Hello,
Same issues for:
  • - @fyujj => NVIDIA drivers:
    Bypassed while choosing a lower resolution and correcting later through the nvidia configuration GUI... which curiously works quite well!

@- duke93535 => JWM (even with the latest svn repository 579 JWM version, though this seems to be a bit better!)

- Something else I noticed on the previous releases (5.2.8, 5.2.9 and 5.3 but not with the 5.2.2 release - Sorry but I thought this minor issue would be finally solved and I was waiting for): when changing countries settings to French (utf-8 checked), X server seems to be disturbed and freezes. When running back to prompt, a very uggly font is displayed with strange characters.This happens with two PCs, but not exactly the same way. Nevertheless, something goes wrong...
This is what I get in console:
# quicksetup
xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default
/usr/sbin/quicksetup: line 668: 14851 Terminated yaf-splash -bg orange -fg black -placement center -close never -fontsize large -icon /usr/share/doc/puppylogo96.png -text "$WELCOMEMSG"
Loading "fr" keyboard map... loadfont: KDFONTOP: Invalid argument
Cordialement.

aarf

#12 Post by aarf »

aarf wrote: . wifi is not auto-connecting on startup.
i withdraw this because i have pizza's random mac

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh 
 if [ "$1" = "" ]; then 
    IFACE="wlan0" 
 else 
    IFACE="$1" 
 fi 

HEX_ARRAY=(0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 A B C D E F) 

function rand_hex(){ 
    let 'RNUM=RANDOM%16' 
    echo "${HEX_ARRAY[$RNUM]}" 
 } 

function rand_byte(){ 
    echo "$(rand_hex)$(rand_hex)" 
 } 

NEW_MAC="$(rand_byte):$(rand_byte):$(rand_byte):$(rand_byte):$(rand_byte):$(rand_byte)" 

ifconfig $IFACE down 
 ifconfig $IFACE hw ether "$NEW_MAC" 
 ifconfig $IFACE up 
 echo "$NEW_MAC"
in startup and it messes with the auto-connect. cant get it to run before wifi connects.

drblock2

#13 Post by drblock2 »

I installed Wary 5.3 over the last release candidate, which predictably caused a number of problems. I lost my desktop icons - easily corrected and due to change in kernel, nvidia and VirtualBox had to be recompiled.

It took me a while to track down the necessary kernel sources (I would recommend providing a link to the kernel sources in the announcement along with the iso- and devx-location). The source I used is here: ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/metalab/distribu ... atched.sfs

After loading the kernel sources and devx,I installed the nvidia 71.86.15 driver with the "run" file from the manufacturer (NVIDIA-Linux-x86-71.86.15-pkg1.run). The results were, to say the least, spectacular. My GeForce FX5200 (ca. nine years old) scored ca. 7500 fps on the glxgears test. This is twice as fast as any other combination of driver and Puppy I have tried!

@ nooby - The "blue dot" for firewall status and control is a separate program from the firewall itself. You can set up the firewall via Setup > Linux Firewall Wizard in the Menu. If you want the friendly indicator in the tray (as I do), you can download a pet here: http://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/pupp ... te-2.0.pet.

Looking forward to trying out Wary 5.3 on my really ancient AMD Duron.

Ray MK

#14 Post by Ray MK »

Just done a manual frugal install to sdb4, which is a 100gig ext4 partition, on a 1TB usb external hdd.

Booting via grub4dos on sdb1 (100gig ntfs) partition. Using the E732 laptop. Will play some more and test on other's soon.

Setup locale etc, and wifi with SNS - all good.

Rebooted to make a 4gig ext2 save_file - all good.

Rebooted again - all good, wifi etc remembered - all seems fine.

Posting from it now.

So from a basic n00b user's point of view - the basics are all good.

Luvly puppy - many thanks and very best regards.
[b]Asus[/b] 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. [b]IBM A21m[/b] laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. [b]X60[/b] T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. [b]T41[/b] Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.

fyujj

#15 Post by fyujj »

Argolance, I didn't understand how you made it work. For me nvidia-settings doesn't work because the nvidia driver doesn't work (it's using vesa actually, althoug I can change to nv but that uses a different screen size - not resolution).
I think I'll try the upstream driver directly as did drblock2.

fyujj

#16 Post by fyujj »

When I uninstalled the 260.16 package and then ran rmmod nvidia, the message said there was no nvidia module on /lib/proc/modules (or somewhere like that).
So maybe while it was ticked to be installed besides the driver, the kmod package I think plus one another, maybe they weren't installed? Anyway, I'll try the upstream .run package now in Puppy for the first time.
*edit* yay, running 295.33 right now. Sometimes something doesn't work so we find something even better.
drblock2, not wanting to spam the thread, which is a bug report thread but just saying that I think the driver for your FX5200 is 173.14.31

drblock2

#17 Post by drblock2 »

@fyujj

Yes, you are right. The recommended driver for the nvidia GeForce FX5200 is 173.14.31, but the PPM only has files for nvidia 71.86.15 and much later versions. I took the hint from BK and installed nvidia 71.86.15 in the manner described.

If I have time, I will try the other drivers for the sake of comparison.

pemasu

#18 Post by pemasu »

Racy 5.3.
I couldnt get Pmusic to play net streams. The default Hoovers and selections from Webmusic tab didnt play. ....connecting just stayed on the bottom. Maybe it is just me. I installed ffmpeg pets for my dpup exprimo and net streams started to work.

Could someone else give feedback also....

Racy, Saluki and Precise Pangolin suffers all drunken semiprecise touchpad problem. I suppose the xorg - xorg-server is the guilty. My bad luck.

FeodorF

GParted and Pdisk (..if they can't do the job..)

#19 Post by FeodorF »

Hm, how to start?

Well, I have an old sata drive, which is/was hijacked (Hell yeah, my Puppy Linux PC can fly!) by Windo..-NT professional.

I tried GParted and Pdisk (fdisk and cfdisk) - all three included in Wary/Racy 5.3 . No matter what I tried, I always ended up with lots of unused space on the hard disk and partition errors, looking like a broken drive.

Before experimenting for some hours, I should have went to our forum. - The answer was right there.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=77288
forum member bigpup:

I suggest getting the latest live CD version of Gparted and using it to do any heavy changes. It is a live CD that is specifically made to run Gparted. The kernel is tweaked, to support Gparted functions, it is the latest version of Gparted, and required programs are updated. Has TestDisk and other recovery programs.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gparted ... /0.12.0-5/
I burned the ISO onto a cd, started this version of gparted and got rid of the Wind.. shi., as you can see.

I would strongly suggest, that a help page be added before the start of Gparted and Pdisk (Asking to use the gparted live cd, if in trouble).

Best Wishes,
Feodor
Attachments
Windo..kicked..away.png
(30.55 KiB) Downloaded 1467 times

duke93535

Terminal Appearance with Rox-filer

#20 Post by duke93535 »

Changed the /usr/bin/xterm script to read urxvt on the last line. This gets the terminal console when opened by rox menu to appear the same as directed by Urxvtset setup terminal emulator in main menu> desktop.

duke