Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
humblesoul

#1481 Post by humblesoul »

i simply went into each program available via libre office and created a file called 'hello' in each. i wanted to associate appropriate icons to the saved files to keep in my documents. they are called odf, ods, odg, odp, odt, etc., dependant on the application used to create it. i tried to associate icons in the manner i have done so for desktop icons and failed.

*edit* most updated wine available via ppm. .net framework problem. reported missing. programs that work in lighthouse fail to launch in 528. gecko? failed to download in both 528 and lhp503g though both work, 503 running more programs than 528.

also, as you can see from custom jpg above this puppy is running out of save file space. i am creating a usb stick for a computaphobic friend - should i remaster will i retain installed apps and gain pupsave space, being able to reinstall to the same stick? *edit* don't worry - i'll search.

associate icons - right click - file... - set icon - dragged from usr/share/applications. works for desktop shortcuts. rejected by libre od docs. icons available.

clicking default '00011100' icon launches file in libre - the link works, i just want to change the icon. aesthetics.

also - right click open with doesn't associate with od files yet.

not complaining - just trying to help. or possibly just in need of. i'll shut up now.

bigpup

#1482 Post by bigpup »

Lucid 528-005
Frugal install.
Problem with "num lock set" not staying set on first run of "Personalize- Settings".
After first reboot and making save file, "num lock" is not set.
After running "Personalize-settings" again, setting "num lock", and reboot.
"Num lock" stays set.
Confirmed on my install.
Reported here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=77372
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#1483 Post by bigpup »

humblesoul wrote:associate icons - right click - file... - set icon - dragged from usr/share/applications. works for desktop shortcuts. rejected by libre od docs. icons available.
usr/share/applications are not icons. They are desktop application execute files. You can place them on (drag to) the desktop, to execute the application, they represent.

The icons you want to use are in:
/usr/local/apps/ROX-filler/ROX/MIME
or you can use these:
/usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps
YaPI(any iso installer)

playdayz

#1484 Post by playdayz »

humblesoul, I see how to associate the ODF documents, such as odt, with the appropriate icons from Libre Office, so that any ODF document will show the appropriate icon. Thanks for noticing that--this Lupu Libre idea is new so it needs a few refinements like this. If you haven't got it yet, the way is to create a sample document, as you said, and then right-click on that sample doc and -> Set Icon, and drag the appropriate icon from /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/. *Before* you drag the icon, you need to change the radio button from "Only for the file..." to the top choice "vnd.oasis.opendocument...." to apply to all docs of that type. I will do that automatically in the next version of Lupu Libre. Actually I will make a pet that does it, I think, and post it later today or tomorrow.

Add: Wow, there are quite a few file-types and extensions we want to account for.

bigpup

#1485 Post by bigpup »

YaPI(any iso installer)

playdayz

#1486 Post by playdayz »

Work in progress - associating doc-types with Libre Office programs and icons. This is mainly for Lupu Libre, but it should work if you have Libre Office 3.5+ installed in any Puppy--but if you are not using Lupu Libre you will have to download and install the Integrate_LibreOffice pet also in order to setup the desktop icons.

Download and install the doc-type-LibO-set.pet *and then Menu -> Shutdown -> Restart X server* to associate the icons and run actions for Libre Office. Please suggest additional doc-types if you see one missing or that should be there.

Writer: odt, ott, doc, docx, rtf
Calc: ods, ots, xls, xlsx, csv
Math/formula: odf
Impress: odp, otp, pps, ppt, pptx
Base: odb
Draw: odg, otg
Attachments
doc-type-LibO-set-1.pet
(12.19 KiB) Downloaded 386 times
Integrate_LibreOffice-01.pet
(528 Bytes) Downloaded 400 times
doc-types-LibO.png
(66.99 KiB) Downloaded 1499 times
Last edited by playdayz on Sat 07 Apr 2012, 22:56, edited 2 times in total.

rerwin

Broadcom proprietary driver update to use only wlan0

#1487 Post by rerwin »

To address the issue of SNS getting confused by the use of both eth1 and wlan0 for Broadcom wifi, I have compiled the two (5.60 & 5.100) proprietary drivers so that they use wlan0. So, switching among driver versions should no longer impact SNS. And it avoids user confusion about the name differences.

I have packaged the fix as one for integration into all puppies and the other for just the 2 driver modules, which are built for each kernel. Be sure to install both packages.

Although I do not know the reason, note that the 5.100 version is 81 bytes larger than peebee's compilation of it. Since I do not have a wifi card that takes the proprietary driver, I need feedback from any of you who can test with these packages. Besides the recompilations with the name change, the script that magically causes the alternate driver to be chosen was changed to look for the "failure" message which should now contain the wlan name. Cowboy and anyone else who needs the older driver: Please verify that the older driver is activated if the newer one fails. Then, of course, try SNS and check whether the connection is restored after reboot.

Thanks for all of your patience while we try to get this right.

UPDATE 4/8/2012: Peebee pointed out that the new drivers may not be "picked up" if they are installed after the "update" package. Oops, I did not move the "depmod" command to the driver package in its own pinstall script.. After download number 7 of the driver package, I re-uploaded it with the added script. So, the order of installation is no longer a factor.
If you are not seeing the drivers work as expected, please run:
depmod
in a console window, to get them recognized.
Richard
Attachments
lupuplus-528.001_arch_update-2.pet
puppy infrastructure firmware tarballs for Broadcom wifi.
This can be installed into any lupu528 version, along with the driver package.
(150.13 KiB) Downloaded 532 times
Last edited by rerwin on Fri 13 Apr 2012, 01:07, edited 3 times in total.

humblesoul

#1488 Post by humblesoul »

Thank you! Have noticed some other files have been associated and iconified, for example in root, show hidden, .fonts.conf is now a grey libre icon as are both .jwmrc and .jwmrc-previous. Is this intentional?

Thought i spotted a few more on my travels but can't recall where.

Hope this helps.

playdayz

#1489 Post by playdayz »

Have noticed some other files have been associated and iconified, for example in root, show hidden, .fonts.conf is now a grey libre icon as are both .jwmrc and .jwmrc-previous. Is this intentional?
Good eye. Not intentional. They are the same as those "flat xml" files. I think it will be best to not iconify those. Thanks.

There is an improved doc-type-LibO-set-1.pet in the message above. If the previous doc-type-LibO-set pet is installed it should be uninstalled first and then Menu -> Shutdown -> Restart X Server.

humblesoul

#1490 Post by humblesoul »

also, should i need to download jre if i am using google chrome? http://java.com/en/download/testjava.jsp says i haven't got it. have checked under the bonnet in chrome settings. all enabled.

tried quickpet install and ppm. both want to install java to mnt and advise against. tried anyway. then uninstalled via ppm.

thanks again.

playdayz

#1491 Post by playdayz »

should i need to download jre if i am using google chrome?
Neither Lucid Libre nor Google Chrome have jre by default. Libre Office wants java in order to do some things, but in this first version of Lupu Libre I didn't put it in, not sure if the functionality was worth the trouble.

I would recommend this java http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 59&t=61287

humblesoul

#1492 Post by humblesoul »

Thanks. Will try sfs.

Tried new icon fix and no change. Removed from ppm, restarted x, installed new pet, restarted x. Will try reboot when sfs is in.

Add: No change after reboot, icons remain. Tried sfs load on the fly with java and receive fatal: Failed to append '/initrd/pup_r04' to unionfs. Will try boot manager.

gcmartin

#1493 Post by gcmartin »

playdayz wrote: ... Neither Lucid Libre nor Google Chrome have jre by default. Libre Office wants java in order to do some things, but in this first version of Lupu Libre I didn't put it in, not sure if the functionality was worth the trouble. ...
Yes, I know about the use in Libre office for its database services. And there are other uses as well. As well as some Internet uses as well.

I am aware of Shino's offering too. But, I am torn between using PETs in the Live media since (since 2008) or to use the recent actions of SFSs to meet Puppy needs.

Even though it is not official, I have used 1.70-i586 with success on your 3HD. I was looking for an official take of a cross-the-board Lucid version for JRE (JAVA).

Thanks
Thanks.

majorfoo

#1494 Post by majorfoo »

playdayz wrote:
Lupu 528.005 -> http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/lupu-528.005.iso
8ad170c46b523436776398fa5ce39fa4
LupuLibre 528.005-1 with LibO 3.5.2 -> http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/lupul ... .005-1.iso
9f1154bdeccdd49b7db66a1afb9fa902
D/L above and did full installs on each one.

Everything that I have tried works out of box. Added several pets from my save partition and still no problems.

Like the energizer bunny, the lucid/lupu series just keeps on keeping on.

Thanks for your dedication to the lucid/lupu series.

futwerk

#1495 Post by futwerk »

a few lucid + backgrounds.
Attachments
pupse26,1v.png
http://www.mediafire.com/?7v1msw26s6chb
(181.7 KiB) Downloaded 1781 times
pupse26,1sx.png
(50.75 KiB) Downloaded 1730 times
pupse26,1cx.png
(187.88 KiB) Downloaded 1732 times

playdayz

#1496 Post by playdayz »

a few lucid + backgrounds.
Very nice futwerk. My favorite is the third one (1cx). Thanks.

There will be updates to both Lucid Plus and there will be a new Lucid Plus Libre. Is there any chance of getting another version of 1cx with Lucid + Libre on it? That would make it easy for users to know exactly where they are.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Audacious 3.2.2 Audio Player
All plugins including Bauer stereo to binaural

http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/audacious-3.2.2.pet
Last edited by playdayz on Sun 08 Apr 2012, 18:17, edited 1 time in total.

majorfoo

#1497 Post by majorfoo »

playdayz wrote:
Audacious 3.2.2 Audio Player

Just curious about pause feature when using space bar.

Works great if Audacious is open on screen, however, if I minimize it, then the pause feature does not work.. Can this be changed so it works when minimized?

kevin bowers

#1498 Post by kevin bowers »

playdayz wrote: Audacious 3.2.2 Audio Player

Noticed an oddity, don't think it's a problem but...in the open-or-save dialog box, Lupu528.004 offered to open with PupZip(default) rather than PPM. Huh? I didn't think PupZip could handle .pets.

Edit: sure enough, if I tell it to open with PupZip, PupZip opens and creates a new .tar.gz file and fills it with "/tmp/audacious-3.2.2.pet". Not a problem for me as I routinely save .pets and install from HD, but a newbie might get confused (OK, I am confused too, but I'll live through it).

Why are .pets associated with PupZip rather than PPM, and more to the point, has this been corrected in 528.005? Or am I the only one with this anomaly? Right now I can't test on any other machines.

playdayz

#1499 Post by playdayz »

Noticed an oddity, don't think it's a problem but...in the open-or-save dialog box, Lupu528.004 offered to open with PupZip(default) rather than PPM. Huh? I didn't think PupZip could handle .pets
I think that might be the browser deciding which programs to open with, possibly based on the fact that pets are compressed. In Chrome, the pet just downloads, and then when I click the pet to install it, it opens with petget and installs correctly.
space bar. Works great if Audacious is open on screen, however, if I minimize it, then the pause feature does not work.. Can this be changed so it works when minimized?
Yes, I wouldn't be able to do anything about that--it is part of the way they wrote it. They do have the global hot keys, but in my experience that steals the space bar from whatever you really want it to do.

sheldonisaac

Open vs Save .pet files

#1500 Post by sheldonisaac »

playdayz wrote:
Noticed an oddity, don't think it's a problem but...in the open-or-save dialog box, Lupu528.004 offered to open with PupZip(default) rather than PPM. Huh? I didn't think PupZip could handle .pets
I think that might be the browser deciding which programs to open with, possibly based on the fact that pets are compressed. In Chrome, the pet just downloads, and then when I click the pet to install it, it opens with petget and installs correctly.
When I download a .pet with Opera, I save it to a directory, and then click it in ROX-filer.
I guess that's why I hadn't seen that problem.

Thanks,

Sheldon