Precise Puppy RC2, October 20, 2012

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
Smithy

#41 Post by Smithy »

A bit of searching, and found a little pet called Multiple Sound Wizard Pet.

http://smokey01.com/Tman/apps/Multiple_ ... Wizard.pet

Might do the trick.

Smithy

#42 Post by Smithy »

Just updating on the multiple soundcard issue,

that PET does indeed install and shows the cards ok, a soundblaster live, an 8 channel recording device and an emu tracker pre usb. Can't seem to select one as the primary though.

Curiously the Alsa wizard status is blank.
Tried a couple of the included players, the mhwave edit loads a wave draws a graphic and then plays through usb for approx 25 secs then freezes and I have to kill it. Was playing like a dalek, but fortunately there is a slider on the retrovol that changed it from 48khz to 44.1khz.

None of the other media players play at all.

And then finally, restarting X and the sound cards "disappeared" again.
And then finally, restarting X and the sound cards "disappeared" again.

I am used to doing this :)

Tried with version 2 of Precise, will try with version 1 (that's what rewritables are for I guess).

linux28

#43 Post by linux28 »

Install libcurl3-gnutls_7.22.0-3ubuntu4_i386.deb
# seamonkey

(seamonkey-bin:27796): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: No GSettings schemas are installed on the system
Trace/breakpoint trap
Do not install libcurl3-gnutls_7.22.0-3ubuntu4_i386.deb

# seamonkey
LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/gecko-mediaplayer-dvx.so [libcurl-gnutls.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory]
LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/gecko-mediaplayer-qt.so [libcurl-gnutls.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory]
LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/gecko-mediaplayer-rm.so [libcurl-gnutls.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory]
LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/gecko-mediaplayer-wmp.so [libcurl-gnutls.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory]
LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/gecko-mediaplayer.so [libcurl-gnutls.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory]

Another problem with
(seamonkey-bin: 32253): libnotify-WARNING **: Failed to connect to a proxy
Attachments
1.jpg
(91.46 KiB) Downloaded 1017 times

L18L

Precise Puppy alpha2

#44 Post by L18L »

- mtpaint localized has double (english+localized) menu entries, see image

+ xorg can display 1920x1080 for openchrome driver now :)
Attachments
mtpaint.png
German AND English menu
(4.97 KiB) Downloaded 1831 times
via_1920x1080.png
new
(8.53 KiB) Downloaded 1620 times
sys-info-120407.gz
(13.8 KiB) Downloaded 831 times

Terryphi

#45 Post by Terryphi »

Resize personal storage file does not work:

# /usr/sbin/resizepfile.sh
/usr/sbin/resizepfile.sh: line 96: xmessage: command not found
[b]Classic Opera 12.16 browser SFS package[/b] for Precise, Slacko, Racy, Wary, Lucid, etc available[url=http://terryphillips.org.uk/operasfs.htm]here[/url] :)

linux28

#46 Post by linux28 »

bcrypt
bug ????????:roll:
Attachments
1.jpg
(25.56 KiB) Downloaded 2285 times

Terryphi

#47 Post by Terryphi »

linux28 wrote:bcrypt
bug ????????:roll:
It works for me but that may be as a result of a fix I have made for something else.

LATER:
I am using locale en_GB.UTF-8 . If you are not using UTF-8 perhaps bcrypt requires it?
[b]Classic Opera 12.16 browser SFS package[/b] for Precise, Slacko, Racy, Wary, Lucid, etc available[url=http://terryphillips.org.uk/operasfs.htm]here[/url] :)

linux28

#48 Post by linux28 »

devx_precise_5.2.52.sfs:
# cmake ..
cmake: error while loading shared libraries: libarchive.so.12: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
# cmake ..
cmake: error while loading shared libraries: liblzma.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
# cmake ..
cmake: error while loading shared libraries: libnettle.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
# cmake ..
CMake Error: Could not find CMAKE_ROOT !!!
CMake has most likely not been installed correctly.
Modules directory not found in
/usr/bin
CMake Error: Error executing cmake::LoadCache(). Aborting.

firefox:
# seamonkey

(seamonkey-bin:3607): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: No GSettings schemas are installed on the system
Trace/breakpoint trap
# firefox

(firefox:9384): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: No GSettings schemas are installed on the system
Trace/breakpoint trap
# firefox

(firefox:9805): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: No GSettings schemas are installed on the system
Trace/breakpoint trap
# firefox

(firefox:10331): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: No GSettings schemas are installed on the system
Trace/breakpoint trap
# firefox

(firefox:13422): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: No GSettings schemas are installed on the system
Trace/breakpoint trap
# firefox
Attachments
1.jpg
(41.66 KiB) Downloaded 1297 times
Last edited by linux28 on Wed 11 Apr 2012, 10:39, edited 1 time in total.

linux28

#49 Post by linux28 »

Attachments
2.jpg
(34.18 KiB) Downloaded 1256 times
1.jpg
(11.3 KiB) Downloaded 2147 times

sszindian

Printing Problem

#50 Post by sszindian »

Terryphi Wrote:
----------------------------------------------------
CUPS Printer Wizard is not working for me.

Cannot connect to localhost:631CUPS Printer Wizard is not working for me.

Cannot connect to localhost:631

Can anyone confirm that they see this problem?

I was able to install my HP1050 all-in-one printer using cups without issue... however.... it won't print a test page, says no such file or directory found... and... it won't print anything else either? Also, the scanner won't even attempt to come work?

There is no doubt, there are serious 'Cups' issues?

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

gcmartin

#51 Post by gcmartin »

Environment
  • Laptop P4 1.5GB RAM with NO HDD!
  • 8GB USB stick formated 2 Primary partitions ===> 4GB SWAP and 4GB FAT partitions
  • booted Precise "pfix=ram" Live media (ISO was md5 validated)
Scenario
  • System booted straight to localization on desktop
  • Localization: Video OK, but ALL other fields adjusted for local needs including hostname change required
Problems - In reviewing Precise, I have 2 primary issues after localization settings restarts desktop
  • Cannot run personal scripts in a termnial session
  • Using Editor icon on desktop appears broken and I Cannot edit files text files because they dont show up as selections in the editor menu's File>Open screen
Hope this helps

jrb

Re: Printing Problem

#52 Post by jrb »

sszindian wrote:Terryphi Wrote:
CUPS Printer Wizard is not working for me.

Cannot connect to localhost:631CUPS Printer Wizard is not working for me.

Cannot connect to localhost:631

I was able to install my HP1050 all-in-one printer using cups without issue... however.... it won't print a test page, says no such file or directory found... and... it won't print anything else either? Also, the scanner won't even attempt to come work?

>>>---Indian------>
I was able to go to localhost:631 in Seamonkey and install my Brother1435 printer as default, however I couldn't get it to print from Abiword or Geany and it printed a blank page from Gnumeric.

In Abiword and Geany I was able to print to .ps files and then use:

Code: Select all

lp /root/output.ps
and they printed successfully. The Gnumeric .ps file still printed blank. :?

rcrsn51

#53 Post by rcrsn51 »

I am reluctant to spend much time on these proof-of-concept Pupplets. Like Drake before it, I don't expect that Precise is going anywhere.

However, here are some quick fixes.

1. Install the PET below.

2. Open the file /usr/share/cups/mime/mime.convs.

3. UNcomment line 41 - "application/pdf ....."

4. Restart CUPS.
Attachments
cups_pdftops_filter-1.3.11.pet
(7.11 KiB) Downloaded 536 times
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Mon 16 Apr 2012, 12:50, edited 1 time in total.

Terryphi

#54 Post by Terryphi »

I have found later versions of CUPS to be nothing but trouble and later versions of gutenprint do not have my printer as an option. I installed the following pets from the /quirky/ repository and it solved the problem:

cups-1.3.11-2-w5c.pet
gutenprint-5.2.6-w5.pet

This is the perfect combination for my HP DeskJet 510 printer.

sszindian

Printing

#55 Post by sszindian »

rcrsn51:

You never cease to amaze me old buddy!!

You’re little fix (.pet) worked like a charm... printed just fine from Leafpad and Abiword I expect it will do the same from elsewhere. I will say, the printing was super fast! Only had hplip-3.11.10 print & hplip-3.11.10 scan installed.

Just to let you know a test I did... Installed jamiaha’s printer package .sfs from Saluki... it auto installed your peasyscan packages in Precise and low and behold... your peasyscan would print a beautiful graphic from a file (I did a .jpg I believe) Your scanner itself would do a preview then a scan but the scan-window just flashed briefly and would not display the scanned picture... As I say, just for your info!

Xsane scanner from graphics in Precise is just a ‘no go’ period, it is not even recognized?

You may well be right and Precise may never get going and I'm not really sure if BK wants it to get going, I believe it's more of a personal build he wanted... but I figure if BK took the time to create it, and make it available, someone may be able to use it, so... I'll give some time testing for him. I will say, what does work works very nice in Precise!

As always... "Thanks rcrsn51"

>>>---Indian------>

rcrsn51

#56 Post by rcrsn51 »

Just to let you know a test I did... Installed jamiaha’s printer package .sfs from Saluki...
Why on earth would you do that?
Xsane scanner from graphics in Precise is just a ‘no go’ period, it is not even recognized?
It worked fine for me OOTB. Correction. It worked from the command line but not from the menu. Xsaneshell needs to run xmessage, which does not exist.
it auto installed your peasyscan packages in Precise and low and behold... your peasyscan would print a beautiful graphic from a file (I did a .jpg I believe) Your scanner itself would do a preview then a scan but the scan-window just flashed briefly and would not display the scanned picture...

I installed Peasyscan from a PET and it worked fine.

jrb

#57 Post by jrb »

rcrsn51 wrote:
I am reluctant to spend much time on these proof-of-concept Pupplets. Like Drake before it, I don't expect that Precise is going anywhere.

However, here are some quick fixes.

1. Install the PET below.

2. Open the file /usr/share/cups/mime/mime.convs.

3. UNcomment line 41 - "application/pdf ....."
Great fix rcrsn51! 8) I installed and restart cups and everything prints. Following your lead I tracked down pdftops from the Precise repo and installed it but it didn't work :?

As for time spent on this, I'm just looking for any excuse not to work on my taxes, eh?

Cheers, J

jrb

#58 Post by jrb »

epdfview needs liblcms2 available from liblcms2-2_2.2+git20110628-2ubuntu3_i386.deb which you can also get from the Puppy Package Manager.

pemasu

#59 Post by pemasu »

This took some time to figure out. Gsetting-desktop-schemas were not activated just by installing them. So...they needed some app to activate them. I did find references to gsettings application. Did find it, did hunt other needed stuff, fixed 3 dead symlinks, did hunt down gecko-media-player schema, placed it to appropriate ? place and then I compiled the schemas. And....Seamonkey started to work.

I did reduce the needed stuff to ready pet and it executes the compilation with pinstall.sh script:
glib-compile-schemas /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas

You can use that command if you need to hunt more schemas and place them. I did put the gecko-mediaplayer schema to /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas folder. Not the correct place...but I didnt bother to find out what is correct place and when you compile....it is easier to compile just one folder content.

Have fun.....

Oh...I got the ubuntu precise ghostscript to work. I didnt use Barrys version. Just for fun of it. It much bigger so Barrys one is better choice. And the printing has been solved already anyway.

This woofed build starts to behave....
Attachments
gsettings-schemas-fix-0.0.1.pet
(52.02 KiB) Downloaded 582 times

sszindian

#60 Post by sszindian »

sszindian said:
Just to let you know a test I did... Installed jamiaha’s printer package .sfs from Saluki...

rcrsn51 asked:
Why on earth would you do that?

sszindian reply:
I do a lot of cross-testing of various programs to see what they will handle or... what will break them. Just something I like to do as most others test normally. Surprisingly, I do find a lot of programs that work from one version to another especially where a certain program I want to use isn't available from the source program. For example... Precise and the printing issue, in the PPM are hplip 12's that are listed for download but, no one listed even had them available at there repo., thus tried various other things!

I installed the '.pets' of Peasyscan and they both work great in Precise!

>>>---Indian------>