Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
kevin bowers

Re: Open vs Save .pet files

#1501 Post by kevin bowers »

sheldonisaac wrote:
playdayz wrote:
Noticed an oddity, don't think it's a problem but...in the open-or-save dialog box, Lupu528.004 offered to open with PupZip(default) rather than PPM. Huh? I didn't think PupZip could handle .pets
I think that might be the browser deciding which programs to open with, possibly based on the fact that pets are compressed. In Chrome, the pet just downloads, and then when I click the pet to install it, it opens with petget and installs correctly.
When I download a .pet with Opera, I save it to a directory, and then click it in ROX-filer.
I guess that's why I hadn't seen that problem.

Thanks,

Sheldon
Must be a quirk of Seamonkey (I have 2.8 now).

humblesoul

#1502 Post by humblesoul »

google chrome 18 is good. just remember to empty (delete the contents of) downloads in root before your last pup save file on exit. should this preference be moved to tmp by default chrome install?

Aitch

#1503 Post by Aitch »

playdayz

I'm sorry but I can't let you get away with a quiet 100 pages/1500 posts without at least a congrats, and well done!

So congrats and well done! :D

Keep up the good work :wink:

Aitch :)

bigpup

#1504 Post by bigpup »

kevin bowers wrote:
sheldonisaac wrote:
playdayz wrote:.
I think that might be the browser deciding which programs to open with, possibly based on the fact that pets are compressed. In Chrome, the pet just downloads, and then when I click the pet to install it, it opens with petget and installs correctly.
When I download a .pet with Opera, I save it to a directory, and then click it in ROX-filer.
I guess that's why I hadn't seen that problem.
Thanks,
Sheldon
Must be a quirk of Seamonkey (I have 2.8 now).
Firefox
Here is how it can be changed in Firefox options. How you want Pet files handled. (image3)

In Seamonkey if you use always ask where to download option, you should get this option window.
Attachments
Seamonkey pet download.jpg
(28.86 KiB) Downloaded 1300 times
Seamonkey2 options.jpg
(45.41 KiB) Downloaded 1221 times
Firefox options.jpg
(51.18 KiB) Downloaded 1300 times
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

kevin bowers

#1505 Post by kevin bowers »

bigpup wrote: In Seamonkey if you use always ask where to download option, you should get this option window.
Yes, that's the option window I get, except that it says "pupzip" rather than "petget", and as I say if I use the "open with" radio button it does indeed open pupzip and that creates a new .tar.gz. It's no big deal for me, and if I'm the only one with the non-problem let's not waste any more space on it.

bigpup

#1506 Post by bigpup »

YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#1507 Post by bigpup »

Playdayz,

Bug installing Audacity from Package Manager (puppy5.25).
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=77384

I have the same problem in Lucid 528-005.
YaPI(any iso installer)

Volhout

Stellarium

#1508 Post by Volhout »

Installed LupuLibre 528.005 full install in virgin system. Opera browser 11.62, and Flash player from Lucid repository.

Installed Stellarium (fun) 1.10.4 lucid from repository
At startup got message "not OpenGL" system
tried Stellarium 1.10.6 : same message.

This is a P4 system with a 82845G (Brookdale) graphics chip.

Thought it must be driver related (Intel Graphics)
Tried Xorg-high from lucid repository.
HW info says it has OpenGL now (Tungsten Graphics)

Started Stellarium 1.10.6, and X crashes.
Removed 1.10.6, removed also 1.10.4 (just to be sure), and re-installed 1.10.4 -> 1.10.4 also crashes X.

Any idea what I should do to fix ?

playdayz

#1509 Post by playdayz »

Bug installing Audacity from Package Manager (puppy5.25).
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=77384
Audacity problem is fixed. There was a misspelling. Please use Quickpet to update the Lupu PPM: Quickpet -> More Pets -> Update Lupu PPM

Direct link -> ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet ... cid525.pet
Started Stellarium 1.10.6, and X crashes.
Stellarium is tough volhut. I'll look into it.

volhut, Can you enter stellarium in a terminal and see what messages you get? Can you try the sfs just in case there is some difference? Uninstall the pets. ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet ... 10.6-0.sfs

Are there any other programs installed? Especially Qt programs--Stellarium uses Qt and if another Qt program was installed that could be a problem--it might be best to try Stellarium on a fresh dedicated install. I just tested on Lupu Libre 005 but I have an ATI card so that is different. However, i am thinking that once you installed xorg_high that satisfied Stellarium about the OpenGL graphics, so I bet on something else.
Last edited by playdayz on Tue 10 Apr 2012, 19:28, edited 4 times in total.

rerwin

Expanded update package for lupuplus

#1510 Post by rerwin »

Playdayz, bigpup,
I have added several fixes for annoying issues to the "arch_update" package, as arch_update-3. Besides the "-2" fix for Broadcom 43xx wifi drivers, the attached new package also contains the following:
  • - Correction of the loss of the "numlock" setting during creation of a new pupsave file.
    - Correction of the loss of file deletions during creation of a new pupsave file.
    - Removal of package artifacts during remastering, during which installed packages are integrated into the main SFS file, specifically /var/log/package-, /root/.package/*.files- and /root/.package/*.remove files.
The first two result from bigpup's report of the numlock issue. While analyzing the related shutdown logic, I found that when a pupsave file is created, hidden (.xxx...) files are saved only for the /root directory. Since whiteout files (indicators of deletions) are hidden, they, too, are not preserved in the other directories. The fix preserves all of the whiteout files (except in the "/" directory), thus retaining all deletions during creation of pupsave files. Assuming Barry had a reason for the hidden-file exclusion, I leave it to him to determine whether the exclusion is actually necessary. Note, however, that no hidden files are preserved when a pupsave partition is populated, which I presume was an oversight; the fix would apply there, too, but was not implemented in this package.

Remember, to test the Broadcom wifi fix, you also need to install (if you have not already done so for "-2") the driver package in the message for "arch_update-2" (on page 100). Although cowboy has confirmed the that logic to switch to the older proprietary driver works with the "eth1" device name, I am still hoping for a further confirmation that the logic still works with the name change to wlan0. ( I would be"surprised" if it did not work.)

Note to those who use remastering to create a "boot disk":
The package-cleanup improvements do not apply to that case, because retaining the entire /root directory negates/overrides the integration of installed packages.

I have once again fixed all issues that I know of pertaining to puppy infrastructure annoyances that could be fixed easily; Please remind me of any that I have missed. TIA

UPDATE 4/11/2012: I re-uploaded the package after download number 9 to remove directory /usr/root/Startup, which does not belong. There is no functional change and no need to replace it for testing.
Richard
Attachments
lupuplus-528.001_arch_update-3.pet
remaster, numlock & initial-shutdown whiteout-copy fixes; broadcom wifi driver tarballs
(194.77 KiB) Downloaded 319 times
Last edited by rerwin on Fri 13 Apr 2012, 01:09, edited 4 times in total.

bigpup

#1511 Post by bigpup »

Barkin wrote:Audacity 2.0 released in March 2012 ... http://audacity.sourceforge.net/about/n ... .0-release
YaPI(any iso installer)

playdayz

#1512 Post by playdayz »

bigpup wrote:
Barkin wrote:Audacity 2.0 released in March 2012 ... http://audacity.sourceforge.net/about/n ... .0-release
Yeah, I have just been trying to compile it, but no success. My approach is to give it a chance to work by trying the 3 or 4 things that work most of the time, but if they don't work I won't get obsessive about it.

jim3630

Re: Expanded update package for lupuplus

#1513 Post by jim3630 »

rerwin wrote: Remember, to test the Broadcom wifi fix, you also need to install (if you have not already done so for "-2") the driver package in the message for "arch_update-2" (on page 100). Although cowboy has confirmed the that logic to switch to the older proprietary driver works with the "eth1" device name, I am still hoping for a further confirmation that the logic still works with the name change to wlan0. ( I would be"surprised" if it did not work.)
Richard

installed lupulibre with driver package in the message for "arch_update-2" (on page 100)
and arch_update-3 frugal to ext4 hdd pfix=ram on dual p6100 hp laptop.

unable to connect wifi with sns or connection wizard.

eth1 nor wlan0 detected.

oui

#1514 Post by oui »

Is there a reason why the build in Midori don't appears in the menu? this is bad as the new puppys overwrite each new start the /root/.jwmrc ! people not experimented to handle this new and very disturbing kind of progress ( :roll: :? ) are really sad to start with an not complete menu!

the comments in the built in .jwmrc are the old comments so you have to pull diep into the Puppy forum to find the way to change it. it is nonsens...

rerwin

#1515 Post by rerwin »

jim3630 wrote:installed lupulibre with driver package in the message for "arch_update-2" (on page 100)

eth1 nor wlan0 detected.
Thanks for your report. I do not see any indication that puppy recognized your wifi device. That suggests that the installation of the drivers did not trigger "depmod" to tell puppy of the new drivers. Pupscan associates the device with the proprietary driver, so a version of it must be present. Maybe it is the older version, which might not handle your device. Did you download the drivers before download number 8? If so, you would need to run depmod from a terminal/console. If your download was later than 7, then maybe the package logic to run depmod is faulty. Either way, try running depmod and rebooting.
Richard

jim3630

#1516 Post by jim3630 »

rerwin wrote:
jim3630 wrote:installed lupulibre with driver package in the message for "arch_update-2" (on page 100)

eth1 nor wlan0 detected.
Thanks for your report. I do not see any indication that puppy recognized your wifi device. That suggests that the installation of the drivers did not trigger "depmod" to tell puppy of the new drivers. Pupscan associates the device with the proprietary driver, so a version of it must be present. Maybe it is the older version, which might not handle your device. Did you download the drivers before download number 8? If so, you would need to run depmod from a terminal/console. If your download was later than 7, then maybe the package logic to run depmod is faulty. Either way, try running depmod and rebooting.
Richard
sorry not clear, did install your driver package from page 100.broadcom-sta-5.100.82.112-6_5.60.48.36-3_k2.6.33.2.pet

don't have a clue what is number 8?

nor what is later than 7...

and installed this lupuplus-528.001_arch_update-3.pet

so I would say these pets do not work with lupulibre and Broadcom Corporation BCM4313
Last edited by jim3630 on Wed 11 Apr 2012, 02:07, edited 2 times in total.

playdayz

#1517 Post by playdayz »

Is there a reason why the build in Midori don't appears in the menu?
Yes oui, midori does not use ssl so it is not secure to use as an internet browser. The only reason it is in Lucid is to display the Cups printing configuration program if there is not another browser installed.

rerwin

#1518 Post by rerwin »

jim3630,
The place where you downloaded the driver package shows how many downloads of the package have been made. That is the count I am referring to. For the first 7 downloads, I had left out the script to run depmod. I then re-uploaded the package with the correction. So the eighth and subsequent downloaders should get the corrected package. I expect that you are not one of the first 7 people to download that package.

I have just now tested that the driver package does, indeed, run the depmod for the drivers. So, the problem lies elsewhere.

Did you start with pfix=ram to boot with no pupsave file, then install both packages, then reboot, saving a new pupsave file?

Would you verify that you have the 2 driver modules in /lib/modules/2.6.33.2/kernel/drivers/net/wireless as wl.alt and wl.ko? They both appear to support your device, product ID 4727.

I have not looked at lupulibre, yet, to see if there is something different about it that confuses things. Peebee has verified that the driver works for him. The only thing different here is lupulibre, which, I assume, is lupu004 plus libreoffice.

As it is late, for me, I will need to continue this in the morning.
Richard

playdayz

#1519 Post by playdayz »

lupulibre, which, I assume, is lupu004 plus libreoffice.
Lupu 5.2.8.005 plus Libre Office. New release http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70855

jim3630

#1520 Post by jim3630 »

rerwin wrote:
Did you start with pfix=ram to boot with no pupsave file, then install both packages, then reboot, saving a new pupsave file?

Would you verify that you have the 2 driver modules in /lib/modules/2.6.33.2/kernel/drivers/net/wireless as wl.alt and wl.ko? They both appear to support your device, product ID 4727.
yes to all questions.

rebooted just now and wan0 driver discoverd by sns. go figure!

first tried connection wizard which discovered a wifi driver but could not make the connection.

when back to sns and it did make wifi connection on wan0.