Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
magerlab

#2461 Post by magerlab »

That's really great!

don570

notecase-1.6.9pre7.pet

#2462 Post by don570 »

I found that the older version of notecase (notecase-1.6.9pre7.pet)
works well with saluki and doesn't need any additional software
to be installed. Available at ibilio.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet_packages-3/

sszindian

Slideshow

#2463 Post by sszindian »

Wrong thread:
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

don570

puppy clock 0.3.8

#2464 Post by don570 »

I improved puppy clock so that it works with saluki

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 140#580140

It has many uses. I use it as an alarm clock and
to put messages on the screen at regular intervals.

It's very small and inobtrusive unlike other alarms.

jemimah

Re: puppy clock 0.3.8

#2465 Post by jemimah »

don570 wrote:I improved puppy clock so that it works with saluki

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 140#580140

It has many uses. I use it as an alarm clock and
to put messages on the screen at regular intervals.

It's very small and inobtrusive unlike other alarms.

HiDeHo

#2466 Post by HiDeHo »

What is the delta file for found in the downloads folder click here

also anyone help me with a realtime kernel. i want to compile one for saluki. click here for topic i created.

jemimah

#2467 Post by jemimah »

A realtime kernel is going to be fairly difficult. There's probably only a few people on the forum that could pull it off.

I may decide to work on it after the release unless pemasu takes an interest.

HiDeHo

#2468 Post by HiDeHo »

jemimah wrote:A realtime kernel is going to be fairly difficult. There's probably only a few people on the forum that could pull it off.

How would a real-time kernel be hard. would it not just take a simple Download a source and compile it in saluke. (i don't have much knowledge with kernel stuff). see my post click here

OscarTalks

#2469 Post by OscarTalks »

How do I set it to not eject the CD at shutdown please?
Oscar in England

mavrothal

#2470 Post by mavrothal »

HiDeHo wrote:How would a real-time kernel be hard. would it not just take a simple Download a source and compile it in saluke.
The "simple download" is 260+ individual patches but that's the easy part. Then the kernel must be configured without conflicts which is not very hard either.
The real issue is the RT kernels will expose and amplify any scheduling bug in the software, drivers, firmware and BIOS that go unnoticed with a vanilla kernel. On a single processor PC, things are becoming worse.
So unless microseconds instead of milliseconds latencies are vital for the specific application(s) and you have a dedicated PC for these applications/project/work I would reconsider.
Could be fun to try though :)
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

shinobar

not eject the CD

#2471 Post by shinobar »

OscarTalks wrote:How do I set it to not eject the CD at shutdown please?
For Saluki-18,
/etc/rc.d/rc.sutdown around at line 630:

Code: Select all

EJECTCD="yes" # 15dec10 shinobar: eject CD only poweroff
Rewite to:

Code: Select all

EJECTCD="no"
As for pupsaveconfig-2.2, it has a checkbox.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

OscarTalks

#2472 Post by OscarTalks »

Thank you, shinobar.

I saw the discussion about this in the Slacko beta thread and I think the checkbox idea is the best option.

For laptops where you close the drive manually it doesn't matter so much what the default is and on balance it is probably better to eject the CD, but for desktops I don't like the idea of the drawer being left open. It could easily get broken and dust can more easily get in to the mechanism and I certainly don't feel comfortable about forcing the drawer closed.

When running live CD if I think I want to boot into something else next time I can manually remove the CD before shutdown, or in fact there is time after I press the Power Button to eject a CD and replace it with another one or close the tray empty.
Oscar in England

Aitch

#2473 Post by Aitch »

HiDeHo wrote:....also anyone help me with a realtime kernel.....
You could try asking Announcer a.k.a l0wt3ch, as he did a realtime kernel for slacko, after having made studio puppy with a RT kernel

If you have 64 bit try http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 4&start=15

support seems patchy :(

Aitch :)

Jim1911

Saluki 018

#2474 Post by Jim1911 »

Impressive, works great. :D

I've really enjoyed using the Saluki Custom Builder and have used it to build a version with pemasu's new kernel. The only problem I've noted is that the default program selection update does not work properly. Default media player selection should be xnoise, however /usr/local/bin showed a different media player. Also “gview
Attachments
saluki_desktop.jpg
(49.27 KiB) Downloaded 740 times

TTW

OGG

#2475 Post by TTW »

I don't watch a lot of video content, most of the time I use my netbook so no DVD drive, but today thought I would have a go and booted up the desktop from my USB.
Good news - booted into Saluki straight away, connected my internet, xorg set up ok.
Tried a music file with Xnoise, again worked first time.
So thought I would try out OGG and look at some video footage. No go I am afraid, either looking at pure AVI files or looking at a virtual DVD with individual VOB files. OGG failed to play either.
Downloaded Gnome which I have used successfully in other puppies and voila played my DVD content folders and AVI straight away.

Saluki 18 was used to test

TTW

Hardware

#2476 Post by TTW »

Saluki is designed for more recent hardware but for us still new to a non-windows world what does that mean. Well I decided to put it to the test and thought I would share my results with those that are interested or those like me that are still finding our way round Linux and Puppy in particular. (Only been a puppy user for three years and every day realise I don't really know anything yet.)

The test results:

My netbook - new, Atom 570 cpu, 2GB ram - saluki runs beautifully, a couple of issues with CUPS network printer but I can live with that. Found my wifi straight away, best wifi set up ever tried on Puppy.

Desktop, 6 years old - P4 cpu with 1 GB ram - Saluki 18 runs only issue found was playing DVD content or AVI using OGG - Gnome works well

Older desktop - 12 years old, P3 cpu with 375 MB ram - Saluki 18 loads and runs, but desktop can only cope with 1 panel, guessing a ram issue - couldn't get sound to work - will try a few more tweaks and then post exact hardware spec if I can't get a result. Puppy 525 was best candidate for this setup - sound and dvd worked well in 525 on this hardware.

Old laptop - Celeron processor, 190MB ram, similar issues as old desktop - only one panel will work - others just disappear. sound works fine, no DVD drive to test video, Midori and flash worked but very slow to render - ram is the issue. Best puppy for this so far either 525 or Macpup. But ram always an issue when using firefox and flash

Anyone interested in the above let me know - will keep up the testing.

D
Last edited by TTW on Thu 12 Apr 2012, 07:02, edited 1 time in total.

TTW

My Saluki

#2477 Post by TTW »

For anyone interested in what can be done with multiple panels

Panel 1 - relocated to top, middle, hide enabled, partial transparency, removed window buttons and clock from original panel bar

Panel 2 - right side - locked with window buttons only, minimised windows shrink to here, (label option diabled), a bit Mac like

Panel 3 - Top right - just the analogue clock, semi transparent, locked

Panel 4 - top left, application launcher, hide enabled, launches my most used apps.

Personally I like the feel and look and degree of personalisation.

Originally posted as a new topic by mistake - sorry!

TTW

Wacom tablet

#2478 Post by TTW »

Jemimah
Has anyone got a wacom tablet working in Saluki?

If not then willing to give it a go but my code / compiling experience is very limited - but keen to learn

Have plenty of experience coding in other languages just never made anything for puppy yet

D

gcmartin

#2479 Post by gcmartin »

Comment - (NOT intended for anyone ... NOT ANTYONE)
Jemimah has indicated on several occasions that Saluki is intended for PCs whose base is the 2007+ Architecture. In the Intel world, this is mostly AToms and 64bit capable CPUs. There were/are some CPUs ;in laptops by some manufacturers whose mobile architecture could has some issues, but, with the kernels in use, should poise little to no issues. (This comment does NOT request anything of anyone)

I, too, have tested on earlier platform, but have focused all of my testing and reporting on the platforms meeting her stated support direction for I fully recognize the effort required just to focus attention to that which is stated.

One very important fact for me in understanding Saluki is to understand the delivered ISO and the toolset it provides us. It has taken me a bit longer than most to grasp that this ISO is a different breed of Puppy in that it has been designed from the ground up to support a toolset for optimum use. One of the very important audiences that this provides for is anyone of us who would also want a distro pre-configured to allow creation of our very own version. The system's tool to do is Jenimah's "Saluki Custom Builder" found in the Menu of Saluki.

Thusly
"Saluki has special architecture so the that custom builder will work. "
This is important to understand as should any of us desire, to build, rebuild or customize: This distro is uniquely geared to provide the toolset just to meet that need.

As a result, it is very important for people like myself to be clear that the initial (and subsequent in many cases as well) use of the Custom Builder tool, that SALUKI is "Internet-centric". This is a requirement for proper use to achieve a functioning ISO from the use of the tool. (I did NOT understand this at first, and was frustrated by my attempts to use the tool in an off-Internet mode. "Results not achieved".

It appears that this distro has promise in the unique features it affords us. Its a little different, but, looks as though it may be setting a brand-new path for how one approaches getting a distro to meet a set of requirements which may be unique.

Thanks Jemimah.

pemasu

#2480 Post by pemasu »

A realtime kernel is going to be fairly difficult. There's probably only a few people on the forum that could pull it off.
Probably not. I am more or less interested in testing and compinling for puppy the stock kernel.org kernels. With my testing cycle...patching individual kernel is not priority for me. And I dont need micro - nanoseconds latency fixes. I leave them to the musicians. I just listen music...in this life.

Go for it Jemimah so that your brain cells and synapsies have something stimulating to do... :D