Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
jim3630

#1521 Post by jim3630 »

playdayz wrote:
lupulibre, which, I assume, is lupu004 plus libreoffice.
Lupu 5.2.8.005 plus Libre Office. New release http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70855
how is it different from LupuLibre 528.005-1 with LibO 3.5.2 -> http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/lupul ... .005-1.iso
9f1154bdeccdd49b7db66a1afb9fa902?

Volhout

Stellarium

#1522 Post by Volhout »

PlayDayz,

I just installed Opera 11.62, Xorg-high 1.1 lucid, and Flashplayer 11 from the lucid repository. Does Opera use Qt ?

Something I wonder: when installing Opera 11.62, some packages where missing, but all dependencies where correct. Does that mean that Opera was build on different versions of the packages, but that current 528.005 versions of those packages (newer ?) do support this build of Opera ? Or does PPM download an install the missing packages ?

About Stellarium: the SFS behaves identical to the 1.10.6 pet. It brings up the stellatium logo, then crashes X to terminal. You can type reboot to restart the PC. Please find attached stellarium log file. It seems it destroys QProcess ... does that ring a bell ?

• 2012-04-11T08:59:28
    Linux version 2.6.33.2 (root@puppypc) (gcc version 4.4.3 (Ubuntu 4.4.3-4ubuntu5) ) #1 SMP Thu May 27 10:56:32 EST 2010
    Compiled with GCC 4.4.3
    Qt runtime version: 4.6.2
    Qt compilation version: 4.6.2
    Addressing mode: 32-bit
    MemTotal: 1026760 kB
    MemFree: 903352 kB
    SwapTotal: 1038328 kB
    model name : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.00GHz
    cpu MHz : 1992.509
    QProcess: Destroyed while process is still running.
    stellarium
    -------------------------------------------------------
    [ This is Stellarium 0.10.6 - http://www.stellarium.org ]
    [ Copyright (C) 2000-2010 Fabien Chereau et al ]
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Writing log file to: "/root/.stellarium/log.txt"
    File search paths:
    0 . "/root/.stellarium"
    1 . "/usr/share/stellarium"
    Attempting to use an existing older config file.
    Config file is: "/root/.stellarium/config.ini"
    OpenGL supported version: "1.3 Mesa 7.7.1"
    Qt GL paint engine is: "OpenGL"
    Cache directory is: "/root/.cache/stellarium/stellarium"
    Sky language is "en_US"
    Application language is "en_US"
    Loading Solar System data ...
    Loaded 38 / 38 planet orbits from "/usr/share/stellarium/data/ssystem.ini"
    Loading star data ...
    "Loading "/usr/share/stellarium/stars/default/stars_0_0v0_1.cat": 0_0v0_1; 5013"
    "Loading "/usr/share/stellarium/stars/default/stars_1_0v0_1.cat": 1_0v0_1; 21999"
    "Loading "/usr/share/stellarium/stars/default/stars_2_0v0_1.cat": 2_0v0_1; 151416"
    "Loading "/usr/share/stellarium/stars/default/stars_3_1v0_0.cat": 3_1v0_0; 434064"
    Finished loading star catalogue data, max_geodesic_level: 3
    navigation/preset_sky_time is a double - treating as jday: 2.45151e+06
    Loaded 10051 NGC records
    Loading NGC name data ...
    Loaded 222 / 222 NGC name records successfully
    Loaded 88 / 88 constellation records successfully for culture "western"
    Loaded 85 / 85 constellation art records successfully for culture "western"
    Loaded 89 / 89 constellation names
    Loading constellation boundary data ...
    Loaded 782 constellation boundary segments
    Loading star names from "/usr/share/stellarium/skycultures/western/star_names.fab"
    Loaded 230 / 230 common star names
    Loading star names from "/usr/share/stellarium/stars/default/name.fab"
    Loaded 3215 / 4359 scientific star names
    Creating GUI ...

rerwin

#1523 Post by rerwin »

jim3630 wrote:rebooted just now and wan0 driver discoverd by sns. go figure!

first tried connection wizard which discovered a wifi driver but could not make the connection.

when back to sns and it did make wifi connection on wan0.
That is very good news! I was worrying that you might have encountered another way in which the driver claims to support a device, but fails in the attempt. I attribute the behavior to the timing of the hardware "getting its act together".

If anyone else sees a problem with the Broadcom wifi drivers, please speak up now. I assume playdayz is about to add the packages to the next lupuplus. So, better to spot a problem before that happens. In the absence of any further complaints, I say my broadcom-sta and arch_update-3 packages are ready to add to lupuplus.
Richard

playdayz

#1524 Post by playdayz »

Lupu 5.2.8.005 plus Libre Office. New release http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70855

how is it different from LupuLibre 528.005-1 with LibO 3.5.2 -> http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/lupul ... .005-1.iso
9f1154bdeccdd49b7db66a1afb9fa902?
Same thing--that's the latest.
Does Opera use Qt ? About Stellarium: the SFS behaves identical to the 1.10.6 pet. It brings up the stellatium logo, then crashes X to terminal.
Actually Opera did use to use Qt but I understand that it does no longer. I am stumped about why Stellarium is crashing. All I can suggest is to try it on a fresh install with nothing else except Xorg_High. Stellarium is a great program and if you really need it you might have to try another Puppy version. Except I don't know if it is available for other Puppies--because it is difficult. And I would not be optimistic about this version of Stellarium working on other puppies. Pemasu knows a lot about Qt so he might have it working in Dpup Xprimo.

jim3630

Re: Stellarium

#1525 Post by jim3630 »

Volhout wrote: About Stellarium: the SFS behaves identical to the 1.10.6 pet. It brings up the stellatium logo, then crashes X to terminal.
not used Stellarium for some time. great program have enjoyed in the past.

installed Stellarium 1.10.6 pet from ppm to freshly frugal install of lupulibre.

downloaded all extra star catalogs, all worked ok, rebooted and again all worked ok.

gcmartin

#1526 Post by gcmartin »

@Playdayz I'm posting you here because I noticed your PM bucket is full.

The LibreOffice operations is top-notch in teh distro that has it built-in. I'm not sure what you've done, if its accidental or on-purpose, but, its performance aas a built-in subsystem with desktop integration "BEATS ALL OF THE PPM/Manual PET/SFS uses I've done in the past.

Congratulation on this version. Keep up the outstanding work.

P.S. You may want to do the same with 2-head and 3-head and 4-head ,...
And, check you PMs

playdayz

#1527 Post by playdayz »

The LibreOffice operations is top-notch in teh distro that has it built-in. I'm not sure what you've done, if its accidental or on-purpose, but, its performance aas a built-in subsystem with desktop integration
Yes. There are two pets http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 002#618002 that will do the same for any Libre. One associates the Libre icons with the Libre file types and also sets the run action to open Libre file types with Libre. The other pet sets the desktop icons of write, draw, and calc to the libre programs. A further advantage Lupu Libre has is that Libre is included in the main sfs and so runs from ram which I think makes it almost snappy--well, for Libre anyway. Oh wait, it is necessary to install one of those pets on the current Lupu Libre--the one that sets the icons and run actions (doc-type-LibO-set-1.pet)--the next Lupu Libre will have that built-in.

rcrsn51

#1528 Post by rcrsn51 »

playdayz wrote: A further advantage Lupu Libre has is that Libre is included in the main sfs and so runs from ram which I think makes it almost snappy.
The default behaviour of a Lupu frugal install is "pfix=nocopy", so it shouldn't make a difference.

But if gcmartin is using a multi-session CD, his configuration may be loading into RAM. That would presume that he has enough memory to run it efficiently.

bigpup

#1529 Post by bigpup »

Volhout wrote:About Stellarium: the SFS behaves identical to the 1.10.6 pet. It brings up the stellatium logo, then crashes X to terminal. You can type reboot to restart the PC.
I installed Stellarium 0.10.4 Lucid from PPM and it works for me.
This thing is very graphic driver intense. So, I wonder if your graphics drivers are setup properly to run it. I am using specific Nvidia drivers for my Nvidia video card.
In Quickpet->drivers tab->click here to test your graphics card
What does it suggest for drivers and are you using them?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Volhout

Stellarium

#1530 Post by Volhout »

The driver suggested in Quickpet (driver tab) is Xorg-High.
It notes that it is installed, and appears to be working.
Suggested glxgears gives 1750 frames per 5 seconds.

This is a Pentium4 2GHz system with 1Gbytes RAM and 82845G graphics.

It must be related to the video driver in some way since others have it working. I will try a fresh install without Opera and Flash and post the results. And I will try a frugal install. Maybe there is a difference.

bigpup

Re: Stellarium

#1531 Post by bigpup »

Volhout wrote: And I will try a frugal install. Maybe there is a difference.
How Puppy is installed should not have an effect, other than make sure there is enough space in the save file for Stelarium to download and install. It will use 2 to 3 times it's size in installing, because it un-compresses and then installs.
YaPI(any iso installer)

tronkel

#1532 Post by tronkel »

Been trying out Lupu-528 005. Very fine work from Micko and the others.

I always keep coming back to this puppy version - it's so pleasant on my system here.

As with other current-series Puppys, this version doesn't like my ATI Radeon 6450 video card (neither do the bigger Linuces).

There appears to be a problem with the open-source Radeon driver as used in conjunction with various kernel versions - in other words the open source ATI Radeon Driver is broken apparently. The propietary ATI FGLRX pet does not work either.

The workaround was to download the propriertary software from the ATI website, install the kernel source and compile it. This worked OK.

Compiz is working fine with XFCE4.

A minor wish is that I cannot seem to be able to configure the XFCE menu to reflect the normal JWM menu. This would make the menu system correspond more to the fashion to which I'm used. Any tricks I'm missing here?
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

Volhout

Stellarium

#1533 Post by Volhout »

@Bigpup,

Tried a lupulibre frugal install in a virgin system (cleaned the partition).
Installed only Xorg High 1.1 pet from ibiblio lucid packages.
Verified that OpenGL is active.

Used the Stellarium SFS PlayDayz listed 20 posts back. Behaves the same. Crashes X.

Question: I noticed the Xorg High 1.1 pet is from June 2010. That is 1 month after release of Ubuntu Lucid. 528 is not puppy 501 anymore. We are 2 years down the road. Is there a more recent build ?? Maybe this one is outdated becuase of all the changes since mid 2010.

Regards,

Volhout

P.S. after X crashes due to Stellarium, my system needs a reboot. Even poweroff does not work anymore. poweroff forces a reboot. It feels like this goes deep....

LateAdopter

#1534 Post by LateAdopter »

If anyone else needs an up-to-date ATI catalyst driver, Speedyluck posted a Lupu 528 PET for catalyst 12.3 in this thread:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=77354

Perhaps Playdayz could add it to the repo.

playdayz

#1535 Post by playdayz »

up-to-date ATI catalyst driver 12.3
Uploaded to the Lucid repo. Thanks LateAdopter and Speedyluck. Update the Lupu PPM by Quickpet -> More Pets -> Update Lupu PPM.
I noticed the Xorg High 1.1 pet is from June 2010. That is 1 month after release of Ubuntu Lucid. 528 is not puppy 501 anymore. We are 2 years down the road. Is there a more recent build ?? Maybe this one is outdated becuase of all the changes since mid 2010.
Xorg is something that hasn't been changed in Lucid and almost certainly will not be changed, and it is definitely old. This is the one of the biggest weaknesses of Lucid. It is the reason tronkel above had trouble with his ati 6450, which is newer than the xserver. To my knowledge we never had a proprietary driver for intel video. Since Stellarium is working for me on the same version of Lupu Libre you are using it does seem that the problem may have to do with the video driver. Trying to update xorg would be a huge can of worms that would take more time than I have, and there are several new Puppies with newer xorg, so I have trouble justifying the time it would take. I do see a Lucid Update of the xserver though, but I would estimate the chance of help as very small. I have asked pemasu if he has a Stellarium.

You might ask stu90 who made the orignal pet and sfs if he has any ideas.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 05&t=59277

bigpup

#1536 Post by bigpup »

Downloaded vlc-1.1.7.-full-lucid52 from PPM.
It seems to work OK, but did get this message after the install check.
Problem?
Attachments
VLC From PPM.jpg
(33.24 KiB) Downloaded 1038 times
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#1537 Post by bigpup »

Volhout,

What does Quickpet->file->report video say your video card is?
YaPI(any iso installer)

Volhout

#1538 Post by Volhout »

@bigpup: it is an intel 82845G grahics chip. The PC is 5+ years old compac evo desktop, so it should be supported by lucid drivers.

I'll try Stellarium on a different puppy (I have Slacko 3.2.7.3 and Racy 5.3). Both have newer kernels.

Thanks for your help... (PlayDayz, first I read your comment I started to realize it may be an enormous task, so forget about it....)

bigpup

#1539 Post by bigpup »

Someone want to try and get a good Intel video driver from this.
The glove is thrown down! :wink:
http://intellinuxgraphics.org/
Last edited by bigpup on Thu 12 Apr 2012, 17:57, edited 1 time in total.
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#1540 Post by bigpup »

Volhout wrote:@bigpup: it is an intel 82845G grahics chip. The PC is 5+ years old compac evo desktop, so it should be supported by lucid drivers.
If you run xorgwizard there are some Intel driver options if you select choose.
Run test in xorgwizard to see what works.
You could try them and see what you get.
I would try on a fresh install and not have Xorg-High installed.
May still need Xorg-High to get openGL.
YaPI(any iso installer)