HP PSC 1315 Printer won't print!

Booting, installing, newbie
bigoli

HP PSC 1315 Printer does not print!

#1 Post by bigoli »

I, too am having problems with my printer. My HP printer does not print under Puppy. I have set up my printer several times(I think) but I can't it to print.

I think I need a little help!

Thanks.
James Oliver

Everything is easy - once you understand it!

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Does it connect via USB? Could you be more specific about what you tried, and what, if anything, happened? Thanks.

bigoli

#3 Post by bigoli »

Flash:

The issue is a little confusing.

When I choose 'Setup>Wizard Wizard>Setup Printing' two windows appear. One, the Puppy Printer Wizard, has two columns. They are not identified, so I don't know what they mean. In any case my printer does not appear in the second column. The first column must be drivers or file names.

I look in the other window, the red one, and I find this entry:

HP PhotoSmart P1315 pcl-900 HP DeskJet 900 series

. Again the columns are not identified. However, it's the closest entry to my printer - hp pcs 1310 series all-in-one.

I see 'pcl-900' in both windows so I choose it and continue with my printer setup.

Finally I run Xpdf and I don't understand half of what they ask for - ignorance on my part - but confusing just the same.

My printer is USB and when I select 'Control Panel>USBView information', I see 'psc 1310 series'. So my computer at least knows about my printer!

Please ask if you need additional information
James Oliver

Rich

#4 Post by Rich »

it's been a while since I've configured Xpdq, but I don't remember it being too scary.

In the XPDQ printer wizard ( if you click on Add printer it opens this window ) choose a name for the printer - this is just a label for you to identify with, it's not a specific name required by anything else. You could call it BigOli's printer if you wanted ! The location and model are optional fields.

NB if you hover over the title or textbox you get a brief description in this wizard that might give you more clues as to what it's asking.

Click next and select the driver you want.

Keep clicking next till it asks for an interface - highlighting the interfaces and clicking the info button explains more about each one.

When you've gone through the wizard, you can check whether the printer is actually working by opening xpdq and clicking 'File/Print File'
navigate to /usr/share/ps-pdf and select the file 'colorcir.ps'
This should print straight out of xpdq. Other applications might need a bit of fine tuning, but if this file prints through xpdq correctly then you're 95% there.

If there's a specific line in the setup that you aren't sure on ( or has you completely baffled ) then shout up. Be as descriptive as possible about where the problem lies as it will make it easier to identify and help. OR try and catch someone in the chatroom and do a 'real time' walk through.

Let us know how you get on.

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Ian »

When you go through the wizard make sure that after you finish you set the printer to default.

To do this, in xpdq, click on Printer and click on Set as default printer.

What are you trying to print from and what version of Puppy are you using.

There is also the possibility that the driver for your printer is not installed in Puppy.

Rich

#6 Post by Rich »

most of the HP printers listed are whittled down to half a dozen common drivers though, so you may well succeed here.
Mine isn't listed directly, but works fine on a 'near enough' install

bigoli

#7 Post by bigoli »

Ian:

Quote:

When you go through the wizard make sure that after you finish you set the printer to default.

I've done so.

Quote:

What are you trying to print from and what version of Puppy are you using.

I'm trying to print from Beaver(a text file). I don't know what version of Puppy I am using Puppy but the output of 'uname -a' is:

Linux puppypc 2.6.11.7 #1 Sat Apr 23 9:56:30 WST 2005 i686 unknown

Quote:

There is also the possibility that the driver for your printer is not installed in Puppy.

Yes, that's always a possibility!

By way, how do you upload an image. There is an image I would like to upload. Maybe I can explain what my computer is doing if I show what appears on my screen.
James Oliver