Is There A .pet for Grafx2?

Paint programs, vector editors, 3d modelers, animation editors, etc.
Gnuxo

Is There A .pet for Grafx2?

#1 Post by Gnuxo »

Grafx2, as in the incredible pixel art editor?

I'd also like to know if there's a .pet for pencil.

Thanks in advance for any that respond.

disciple

#2 Post by disciple »

Have you searched for them?
There have definitely been .pets for both.
Also if you are using a recent puppy based on Ubuntu or Slackware, you should be able to use packages from those distros.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Gnuxo

#3 Post by Gnuxo »

The trouble is .Deb files. I will need to install debs of any dependencies as well.

...Does deb2pet allow automatic dep negotiations?

disciple

#4 Post by disciple »

I don't think so, but it shouldn't be too much of a problem with programs like these that don't have too many dependencies.
If you're running a recent Puppy based on Slackware or Ubuntu the package manager should have an option to use the repositories of that distribution, and I would assume you get dependency resolution with that.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Gnuxo

#5 Post by Gnuxo »

Thank you. I'll try.

That of course leads me to wonder what the advantage of .pet is over .debs or .rpms

disciple

#6 Post by disciple »

Gnuxo wrote:That of course leads me to wonder what the advantage of .pet is over .debs or .rpms
I think the only advantages people might claim for the .pet format would be simplicity and the very small size of software needed to deal with it. There has been a long discussion recently about package formats and package managers and whether to improve or replace .pet

Personally I think:
- the main problem traditionally with Puppy is the package repository (not the package format). This forum has historically been the de facto repository and package manager for anything that hasn't been packaged by Barry!
- if Puppy is built from another distro's packages (e.g. Slackware or Ubuntu) then that distro's repository should be used except for packages which are specific to Puppy and therefore not available there, or rarely if there is a real need to have a different version of a package for Puppy.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Gnuxo

#7 Post by Gnuxo »

Personally there should be an effort to collect every .pet shared on the forums to compile a new updated repository.

The PPM should also be updated to make it easier to update sources lists.

Alot of the current repos in the PPM, aren't very useful or full of up to date programs, so a software sources manager for puppy might be a good way to go.

Then people can maintain their own puppy repos and others can link to those repos for up to date software.

Petget is limited because when you download a .deb or convert any file to a .pet, it will not tell you about the dependencies.

Even if it doesn't download the dependencies, because not every dependency is absolutely necessary, it would be nice to have a reference list to deal with.

So to sum up...
...I don't think there's anything wrong with .pet, though I think the PPM itself could be improved and the petget system could be improved as well.

Making it easier to add/remove repos would take alot of the pain away as well.

disciple

#8 Post by disciple »

Gnuxo wrote:Personally there should be an effort to collect every .pet shared on the forums to compile a new updated repository.
I think most of the .pets on the forum would be out of date though.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Gnuxo

#9 Post by Gnuxo »

Not all!

I would simply check the newest entries. People update alot.
True that not all of the software is here but there are some good ones.

pemasu

#10 Post by pemasu »

I'd also like to know if there's a .pet for pencil.
Pencil like Pencil from year 2008 ?

Wouldnt there be any more up to date graphic editor of interest...something more adapted to new Qt-4.8.0 libs.

http://qt-apps.org/index.php?xcontentmode=4224

vovchik

#11 Post by vovchik »

Dear puppians,

Pencil is decent - but I think it wanted an old libmng - if I am not mistaken. It does compile in more recent QT, as I recall, but it has been a while since I tried....

With kind regards,
vovchik