Nathan Wallpaper Setter -update

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
01micko

Nathan Wallpaper Setter -update

#1 Post by 01micko »

Since development on gtkdialog has swung back into action, the new functionality has allowed new developments in many GUI apps in Puppy. Puppy is heavily dependent on gtkdialog for all types of apps from Puppy Package Manager (aka petget) to Pmusic and Pburn.

Among those apps is Nathan's Wallpaper Setter developed by Nathan Fisher for GrafPup some time ago. Nathan's original thread

Zigbert, Trio and myself have performed many hacks on this app over the years mainly to make it compliant with Pwidgets however not dependent on Pwidgets.

The big deal here is now we have an integrated preview of your wallpapers, refreshing each time you click a new one in the list. All the great functionality Nathan's wallpaper Setter is famous for is untouched so you still have all the original features.

This is tested working in Puppy 4.2 and above.

Requirements

*The new "official" gtkdialog pet compiled by Barry in Wary.
http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/pet_pa ... v83-w5.pet

*Puppy 4.2x misses libgio. Thanks to WB70DYFred for supplying here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 353#364353

Please report any bugs here.

Enjoy!

EDITS:
110804, Added back Barry's cropping for wide screen (inadvertently left out), seems it didn't break anything :)

Added code to detect the gtkdialog version and exit if not compliant

Code: Select all

#just some insurance 110905
GTKDMIN3_VER="`gtkdialog3 -v|cut -d ' ' -f3|cut -d '.' -f3`" #need at least 21 ie: gtkdialog-0.7.21
if [ "$GTKDMIN3_VER" -lt "21" ];then
	GTKD4="`which gtkdialog4`"
		if [ "$GTKD4" = "" ];then xmessage "You need to upgrade gtkdialog" && exit
			else
			export GTKDIALOG="gtkdialog4"
		fi
		else
			export GTKDIALOG="gtkdialog3"
fi
Attachments
wallpaper-0.6.2.pet
(10.38 KiB) Downloaded 2053 times
wallpaper-0.6.1.pet
(10.21 KiB) Downloaded 1506 times
nathanwall.jpg
(45.93 KiB) Downloaded 6903 times
wallpaper-0.6.pet
(10 KiB) Downloaded 1479 times
Last edited by 01micko on Sun 04 Sep 2011, 21:20, edited 3 times in total.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

sjsrikanth

#2 Post by sjsrikanth »

hi
Gr8 improvement there!

I'm using frugal install of puppy 5.25

The window of the new wallpaper setter is going out of the screen (able to resize vertically not horizontally)
Attachments
nathan.png
(122.4 KiB) Downloaded 6662 times

disciple

#3 Post by disciple »

Looks good :)
Micko, when you post new or reworked programs based on gtkdialog, is there any chance you could add them to the index of gtkdialog programs?
Thanks.
Last edited by disciple on Thu 07 Jul 2011, 13:06, edited 1 time in total.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Geoffrey

#4 Post by Geoffrey »

sjsrikanth wrote:hi
Gr8 improvement there!

I'm using frugal install of puppy 5.25

The window of the new wallpaper setter is going out of the screen (able to resize vertically not horizontally)
I just downloaded it and it did the same until I installed the new gtkdialog, then it works fine, I'm using rexbang which is based on 525.

01micko

#5 Post by 01micko »

sjsrikanth wrote:The window of the new wallpaper setter is going out of the screen (able to resize vertically not horizontally)
Did you install the updated gtkdialog as Geoffrey suggests?
disciple wrote:Micko, when you post new or reworked programs based on gtkdialog, is there any chance you could add them to the index of gtkdialog programs?
Done :wink: (woops, as I was editing my post I saw that you had done it already, oh well :roll: )

sjsrikanth

#6 Post by sjsrikanth »

Ya after insatlling GTKdialog it works great!!! Thnx . sorry for missing that instruction

01micko

#7 Post by 01micko »

updated to 0.6.1

see main post

yarddog

#8 Post by yarddog »

01micko wrote:updated to 0.6.1

see main post
Installed updated 0.6.1.
When I open this and press help and about, it shows version 0.5
Am I missing something here?

01micko

#9 Post by 01micko »

yarddog

I just checked, it's ok :? .. did you get the older 0.6 where I did forget to update that?

yarddog

#10 Post by yarddog »

01micko wrote:yarddog

I just checked, it's ok :? .. did you get the older 0.6 where I did forget to update that?
Stupid me - I d/l the wrong version. Need to get my eyes examined.
Thanks you for straightening me out

yarddog

BlueKnyght

Preview Gone After Installing pWidgets

#11 Post by BlueKnyght »

Hi there! I'm quite excited with the new Nathan wallpaper setter, it's got a preview now than the previous version. It's really cool, many thanks to the developer.

Yet, after installing pwidgets, the preview panel is no longer a preview panel. In its place is Current Image, and it only shows a pwidget path, not a wallpaper picture.

Can anybody show me how to get it back the way it is w/o uninstalling pwidgets?

8-bit

#12 Post by 8-bit »

BlueKnyght,
From your picture, it looks like the old "Nathan Wallpaper Setter".
If you have installed the Pet in this thread, called "wallpaper-0.6.pet and the latest gtkdialog, it should work fine.
I have pwidgets installed, and it works for me complete with a preview picture shown.

BlueKnyght

#13 Post by BlueKnyght »

8-bit wrote:BlueKnyght,
From your picture, it looks like the old "Nathan Wallpaper Setter".
If you have installed the Pet in this thread, called "wallpaper-0.6.pet and the latest gtkdialog, it should work fine.
I have pwidgets installed, and it works for me complete with a preview picture shown.
Okay man, thanks.

I didn't know Sir 01micko is a key developer of Puppy. Sorry, I'm just new in this forum. My bad really.

01micko

#14 Post by 01micko »

Up to 0.6.2, see main post

8-bit

#15 Post by 8-bit »

I may have found a bug. I am using your version of Nathan Wallpaper Setter. I have had it zero out the file size of a wallpaper file and lock up the application when switching wallpaper backgrounds. See my post under Bugs.
I am back after using SWS to change my wallpaper background.
At least that works.
Also, the files were jpg files before the line that said they were not.
I think that line was after they got zeroed out on size and the file type was changed.
But I ran Nathan Wallpaper Setter ver 6.2 from a terminal and the output may help you determine the cause. I got this from the terminal when it zeroed out two files.
EDIT: I copied over the Wallpaper application from Puppy Lucid 528 and so far, it seems to work.
Maybe a matter of some corrupted files.

Code: Select all

# wallpaper
dc: stack underflow
expr: syntax error
/usr/sbin/background_reshape: line 44: [: -ge: unary operator expected
expr: non-numeric argument
Not a JPEG file: starts with 0x89 0x50
invalid number `+'
pnmtojpeg: Error reading magic number from Netpbm image stream.  Most often, this means your input file is empty.
/usr/sbin/fixwidgets: line 5: kill: (18720) - No such process
/usr/sbin/fixwidgets: line 6: kill: (18725) - No such process
cat: /root/.pwidgets/tmp/sidebarl: No such file or directory
/usr/sbin/fixwidgets: line 46: resizepng: command not found

(blendpics:18745): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_width: assertion `GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(blendpics:18745): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_height: assertion `GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed
scaling background

(blendpics:18745): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_scale_simple: assertion `GDK_IS_PIXBUF (src)' failed
scaling pic

(blendpics:18745): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_render_pixmap_and_mask_for_colormap: assertion `GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(blendpics:18745): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_draw_pixbuf: assertion `GDK_IS_DRAWABLE (drawable)' failed

(blendpics:18745): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_from_drawable: assertion `src != NULL' failed

(blendpics:18745): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_bits_per_sample: assertion `GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(blendpics:18745): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_width: assertion `GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(blendpics:18745): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_height: assertion `GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(blendpics:18745): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_rowstride: assertion `GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(blendpics:18745): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_has_alpha: assertion `GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(blendpics:18745): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_pixels: assertion `GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(blendpics:18745): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
Conky: /root/.pwidgets/widgets/Puppylinux: 7: no such configuration: 'HEIGHT=60'
Conky: /root/.pwidgets/widgets/Puppylinux: 8: no such configuration: 'OFFSET_X_LEFT=40'
Conky: /root/.pwidgets/widgets/Puppylinux: 9: no such configuration: 'OFFSET_X_RIGHT=35'
Conky: forked to background, pid is 18807
Conky: /root/.pwidgets/widgets/Temp_cpu: 8: no such configuration: 'HEIGHT=70'
Conky: /root/.pwidgets/widgets/Temp_cpu: 9: no such configuration: 'OFFSET_X_LEFT=40'
Conky: /root/.pwidgets/widgets/Temp_cpu: 10: no such configuration: 'OFFSET_X_RIGHT=40'
Conky: /root/.pwidgets/widgets/Space_Puppy_filesystem: 7: no such configuration: 'HEIGHT=80'
Conky: /root/.pwidgets/widgets/Space_Puppy_filesystem: 8: no such configuration: 'OFFSET_X_LEFT=40'
Conky: /root/.pwidgets/widgets/Space_Puppy_filesystem: 9: no such configuration: 'OFFSET_X_RIGHT=40'
Conky: /root/.pwidgets/widgets/Calendar: 8: no such configuration: 'WEEK_FIRST_DAY=MONDAY'
Conky: /root/.pwidgets/widgets/Calendar: 9: no such configuration: 'HEIGHT=170'
Conky: /root/.pwidgets/widgets/Calendar: 10: no such configuration: 'OFFSET_X_LEFT=40'
Conky: /root/.pwidgets/widgets/Calendar: 11: no such configuration: 'OFFSET_X_RIGHT=20'
Conky: /root/.pwidgets/widgets/Cpu_bar: 7: no such configuration: 'HEIGHT=50'
Conky: /root/.pwidgets/widgets/Cpu_bar: 8: no such configuration: 'OFFSET_X_LEFT=40'
Conky: /root/.pwidgets/widgets/Cpu_bar: 9: no such configuration: 'OFFSET_X_RIGHT=20'
Conky: forked to background, pid is 18809
Conky: forked to background, pid is 18810
Conky: desktop window (400023) is subwindow of root window (1ad)
Conky: window type - override
Conky: drawing to created window (0x1200001)
Conky: forked to background, pid is 18811
Conky: drawing to double buffer
Conky: setting bg window (1200001) 
Conky: setting bg window (1200001) 

Conky: drawing to created window (0x1000001)
Conky: setting bg window (1000001) 

Conky: drawing to created window (0x2800001)
Conky: drawing to created window (0x1400001)
Conky: setting bg window (2800001) 
Conky: setting bg window (1400001) 
Conky: drawing to created window (0x1600001)
Conky: setting bg window (1600001) 
Conky: setting bg window (1600001) 
Conky: setting bg window (1400001) 
Conky: setting bg window (1000001) 
EXIT="Ready"
Conky: setting bg window (2800001) 
IMAGE="/usr/share/backgrounds/30dcrrq.jpg"
PIXMAP=""
EXIT="Close"
# 

jtcullen64

Lupu 5.2.8 Nathan Wallpaper Setter Solution to a problem

#16 Post by jtcullen64 »

Found this solution to an old problem with Nathan Wallpaper Setter that I've not read about on the forums. Using Lucid 5.2.8-004 HDD installed. My daughter had set the desktop background by right-clicking the browse icon on the desktop and selecting the 'Backdrop...' option. She browsed for her picture, which was NOT in the usual /usr/share/backgrounds location. She got the background set but, thereafter, Nathan Wallpaper Setter refused to launch. Tried every trick I read about in the forums. I even tried reinstalling version 0.6.2 and no go. Entering 'wallpaper' in terminal returned the line of code in the Wallpaper app that it aborted on. Once she told me about the right-click trick with the desktop 'Browse' icon, I tried it myself and reset the wallpaper to a .jpg image that was located in the proper place - usr/share/backgrounds. Closing that all out, I went back to Nathan Wallpaper Setter in the Desktop menu and... it now launches perfectly, just the way it used to! If anyone can't launch Nathan Wallpaper Setter, this trick to get Nathan to work again just might work for you too!

Argolance

#17 Post by Argolance »

Hello,
How to change/modify the "ugly" Grey background color that is displayed all around a picture which is smaller than the screen/desktop size?

Suggestion:
  • - Let user choose this color in the Preferences
    - Automatically (or let user choose...) copy external pictures in /usr/share/backgrounds
    - Add a link inside the tree list to this directory, or make it be the default displayed directory when running the application...
Thank you.

Cordialement.
Last edited by Argolance on Thu 17 May 2012, 14:17, edited 1 time in total.

russoodle

#18 Post by russoodle »

Argolance wrote:Hello,
How to change/modify the "ugly" Grey background color that is displayed all around a picture which is smaller than the screen/desktop size?
Thank you.

Cordialement.
Dear oh dear, Argolance.. :roll:
Too much good French wine there, mate?

A good idea would be to have a wallpaper image that fits your screen, or try using the "stretch" option in the wallpaper setter.. :wink:
[i][color=Green][size=92]The mud-elephant, wading thru the sea, leaves no tracks..[/size][/color][/i]

Argolance

#19 Post by Argolance »

Dear oh dear, Argolance.. :roll:
Too much good French wine there, mate?
Dear oh dear, russoodle, :D I like wine but am absolutely not a drinker... An occasional smoker, perhaps? :wink:
A good idea would be to have a wallpaper image that fits your screen, or try using the "stretch" option in the wallpaper setter.. Wink
Yes indeed, this could be a good idea but this would not solve the problem which is standing behind!=> Please, see this post!

Cordialement.