Studio 13.37 is out!

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
pemasu

#21 Post by pemasu »

Because my nickname was mentioned earlier....If someone wants to get some money from linux...go for it. All the reasonable ways which spread the knowledge of linux....puppy linux....does not harm. We are the few of the few. Making Puppy Linux more known...even by packaging it and selling it...I think it is good thing.

It is great that the hard work gets extra icing through packaging audio software and other software and selling it in usb stick ready to use. If people are ready to buy it...go for it. Not for me though.

I know the countless hours what making working puplet needs. Having small payment now and then might feel good. And remember... with selling something comes also responsibility....

Volhout

double ?

#22 Post by Volhout »

Making money with puppy has 2 faces. I see Nancy's point, you get a gift, and turn it into money (like selling your christmas gift).

But in the years that I am following this forum, I started realizing that many of the skilled developers here are playing with linux in a similar way that others would play computergames. And working toward a release, with your "team mates" is more like a LAN party. Little sleep, high tension, redbull. The only real difference is the result. In many cases it is something that can be used. There is a product.

And, as Pesamu and PlayDayz mention, you are proud that your product is chosen to be used. Even if it is making money for someone else. Actually ..... if it is used in a commercial product, it (most likely) has a longer life. Slacko 5.3.3 may still be in use by some people 5 years from now. Not sure there is any other puppy (2.14x ?) that can achieve this.

I see this as a good sign ....

RSH

#23 Post by RSH »

cthisbear wrote:Hey! and what a mouth I have.
Not here just to be helpful.

Or as my wife says..." my best and my worst feature. "
Women....what is she on about???
Looks like we do have the SUPER-MOUTH-TEAM here. :lol:

My best feature? My human brain. :D
My worst feature? I can not resist to get in conflict with "Uncle-Ronnie-Guys" like you. :evil:
nancy reagan wrote:What about all those developers here playdayz micko BK pemasu iguleder jemimah sc0ttman philb rsh ttuxxx goingnuts technosaurus etc etc not to forget all those helpers in standby lobster muggins rcrsn and all those many more testers
Thank you, nancy reagan, for adding me to this list.

Me one did not really feel/see myself as a developer until release of LazY Puppy 528 Version 2 (18.03.2012). It has made me really happy to get account at smokey01's server and to be added onto his puppy-linux-developers site - but did not really felt that way.

LazY Puppy Release 2 has got some new features, written and developed by myself. Some of these applications are published on the forum, some of them are only available with LazY Puppy 2. So there are a few programs that i really do develop. The main work or better saying basic work of LazY Puppy 528-4 (Release 1) has been done by 10wt3ch (or maybe by the Announcer?).

I will try to explain:

My first step into puppy-linux has been initiated by the German Software Engineering Company Steinberg (Cubase). I did buy a 16-Channel Digital Audio-Mixer, that has included Cubase. But there were big differences between the Product Description and the received Package. The result was: there was a need to connect my music computer onto the internet, to get the Cubase to work (Registration & Activation). I do never want to connect my music computer onto the internet, because: the only secure system is an autonomous system. So i wrote an email to them, asking for a solution.

They advised me to return the package to my local musical instruments dealer. The owner of this shop is a really friendly person, so HE did buy a USB-Stick from Steinberg, so that i could use the Cubase without having to connect my music computer onto the internet.

The day i received the email from steinberg has been the day i did made my first step into puppy-linux... ...actually Muppy 08.3F.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 048#614048

In September/Oktober 2011 i found the puppy studio 3.3 on the web and downloaded it. This was exactly, what i have been looking for. After a lot of work with and on the puppy studio 3.3 (my last created iso was about 960mb and did include the working corel draw suite eight) i found a post on the forum about openshot and the missing libmp3lame. I improved the original iso and also the big one... ...they were right. Libmp3lame is installed, but not found by openshot!

After this day i did start the work on a project, that now is known as LazY Puppy. I did create earlier an sfs containing openshot 1.3.1 (1.3.0?) and python, that did work out of the box and did not miss the libmp3lame. So i did think by myself:

Ok, Rainer. You have a working openshot sfs; you are an old pascal programmer; you do have a form/pattern (puppy studio 3.3) and you do have also a human brain. Build your own puppy studio and use sfs files. I did choose the lucid 525 and began to work. At the same time i did start a project to create a iso with lazarus and free pascal, but that's another story. There were some problems with the lucid 525, so i did start again using the lucid 528. The there were lucid 528-002 up to 004 and i did start again and again.

Without having the base, which means the puppy studio 3.3, i surely would leave the forum after the lucid 525 has failed. A lot of programs, used in the sfs files of LazY Puppy are programs of puppy studio 3.3. Also a lot of solutions i did found inside the puppy studio 3.3.

So, to make a statement:

Yes, please do pay me. But first: pay him and all who did work on the lucid 528!
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy[/url][/b]
[b][url=http://rshs-dna.weebly.com]RSH's DNA[/url][/b]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91422][b]SARA B.[/b][/url]

cthisbear

#24 Post by cthisbear »

" My worst feature? I can not resist to get in conflict
with "Uncle-Ronnie-Guys" like you. :evil: "

::::::::::

In a perfect world we should always act nice to each other.
But it isn't.

Using Puppy however generally gives joy to many people who
have less worldly goods, more Windows heartaches,
and/or believe that we don't have to trash the planet
by dumping 3 year old computers etc.

So you're an OK bloke.
I know that.
And talented.
We don't always have to love each other here.
But we co-operate to make Puppy work.
Whether it's your version or others.

If we have a spat occasionally.....ah! well.

As I often say >>> " I don't discriminate, I hate everybody "

"""""""""""""""

" Muppy 08.3F. "
Mu....a lovely bloke.
Fair minded, competent, always great releases.
And well missed here.

Regards....Chris.

RSH

#25 Post by RSH »

cthisbear wrote:In a perfect world we should always act nice to each other.
But it isn't.
Right, but everyone could/should try to make it a better world. 8)
cthisbear wrote:So you're an OK bloke.
I know that.
And talented.
Thanks. :)
cthisbear wrote:As I often say >>> " I don't discriminate, I hate everybody "
Don't you think also your woman would like much more to read your statement in a form like: "I don't discriminate, I hate everybody - except my beloved woman!"? :wink:

EDIT:
cthisbear wrote:Mu....a lovely bloke.
Fair minded, competent, always great releases.
And well missed here.
Hm, sounds like another exception...

...is there more?

ciento

#26 Post by ciento »

I hope someone makes a commercial 'Printer Pup',
with Scribus, Inkscape, Gimp, Xara, Abiword, wine, every linux printing subsystem and module, all the lesser known apps for dealing with text,
graphic arts, scanners, photos, and printed output.

Well worth $30 to take a stick to Grandmas at the holidays, on vacation,
on business trips, family reunions, and of course, right here on this
old crate.

darkcity

#27 Post by darkcity »

sounds like grafpup (no longer developed)

I don't see why people think it either has to be 100% commercial rip off company, or 100% hobbyists doing it for pure fun and living on thin air.

Surely there is a third way. Maybe a bounty system could be introducted. In your example people could donate to a bounty fund for implementing printer support. Developers implementing this would receive the bounty or share of.

Of course this would require some administration :twisted: ...

aarf

#28 Post by aarf »

RSH wrote: My worst feature? I can not resist to get in conflict with "Uncle-Ronnie-Guys" like you.
cant find this term in online search. so guess only you on here understand what it means.

RSH

#29 Post by RSH »

aarf wrote:
RSH wrote: My worst feature? I can not resist to get in conflict with "Uncle-Ronnie-Guys" like you.
cant find this term in online search. so guess only you on here understand what it means.
Yeah, so you can see: google and other online search machines do not know everything - BUT WE DO (cthisbear and me) :lol:

So, never mind!

nancy reagan

what about AV linux ?

#30 Post by nancy reagan »

puppyiso wrote:There are many free alternatives such as ArtistX and Musix.
They are not puppy based but work well.
AV linux also great

nancy reagan

WHAT IS THE DISCUSSION HERE ?

#31 Post by nancy reagan »

darkcity wrote:sounds like grafpup (no longer developed)

I don't see why people think it either has to be 100% commercial rip off company, or 100% hobbyists doing it for pure fun and living on thin air.

Surely there is a third way. Maybe a bounty system could be introducted. In your example people could donate to a bounty fund for implementing printer support. Developers implementing this would receive the bounty or share of.

Of course this would require some administration :twisted: ...
I think the discussion shouldn't be HOW MUCH etc. but

IS THIS FORUM A MARKET PLACE FOR COMMERCIAL WARE

AND IF SO

2. ONLY FOR LOWTECH OR FOR ANYONE ELSE AS WELL ?

starhawk

#32 Post by starhawk »

I'd like to say two things, and then I'll be on my way, without a care as usual.

(1) I'm not paying $30 for something that should be free. I've yet to find another pay-for puplet (not that I'm trying hard) and I don't think there should be one, either. Kinda goes against the "freedom" stuff we have going on here ;)

(2) If it's "elite" to pay money for something when you don't (and shouldn't) have to... then I don't want to be elite. I'm sorry, wasteful spending (and indeed wastefulness of any kind) is really a problem in this world.

EDIT: as an elaboration to the last sentence in point#2... in Western Civilization, we have diseases of too-much (some types of diabetes, obesity, etc.) whereas most of the rest of the world has diseases of not-enough (malnutrition and the like). This is not what I would consider an ideal or balanced way of doing things.

ciento

#33 Post by ciento »

If you are happy to be judge and jury, defining in life what 'should' be,
then your definition of freedom is sorely lacking. I have watched
a plethora of forum sagas where windows and linux musicians alike
struggle mightily, wasting dozens if not hundreds of hours to achieve something a trivial purchase would have provided.

And those hours were not free, having been at cost to employers,
spouses, children, and friends, who lost out on interaction. Not
to mention the lack of productivity the individual incurred, and
also the medical stresses of mentally thrashing about, compared
to those who paid a few dollars, and simply sat down, and pressed the
record button.

Nothing is free, except the blindness to ignore the real price people pay.

mikeslr

If it worth the price to you, why not?

#34 Post by mikeslr »

Hi all,

I've been using Puppies for about 5 years. It my primary OS. I love it, and can not say how much I appreciate the hard work and generosity Barry K, the devs and testers put into it. Whenever I have the opportunity, I recommend Windoz users to try it, and have even given away CDs and USB-Keys to encourage them to do so.
That said, the first thing I did five years ago was plunk down $20+ for a wireless adapter because, at that time, Puppy's wireless capabilities were limited. I could have spend 10 or more hours trying to get Puppy to use the adapter I had. It would have been a waste of my time, and probably soured my view of Puppy.
If someone is willing to pay $20 for a wireless adapter in order to accomplish what he or she needs, why not $30 for an entire operating system? Especially for a 64-bit one?
If Announcer can make a couple of bucks for his hard work and effort, why not? Honestly, how many of his detractors have taken the opportunity to make a donation to Barry K, or to prit and runtt21 for their dedication and creativity?
Nothing is free. If it's "free to you" that only means someone else has paid the price in exchange, at best, for self-satisfaction in an accomplishment, or having contributed toward making the world a better place.
I wish Announcer success in his commercial efforts. The more people use his system, the more people are exposed to Puppy. Perhaps they'll "catch Puppy fever" and try one of the free versions. At which time Announcer will have to face a problem akin to the salesman trying to sell ice to Inuits. (See footnote),
The only valid objection to his efforts I can see is if he marketed an inferior product bearing the name "Puppy."

mikesLr

Footnote: I've used that phrase while there are those of us who can still appreciate it. There's a good chance our grandchildren won't understand it because we "freely" dump carbon dioxide into the atmosphere. We don't pay for it, but those who come after us will.

cthisbear

#35 Post by cthisbear »

"Honestly, how many of his detractors have taken the opportunity to make
a donation to Barry K, or to prit and runtt21 for their dedication
and creativity? "

You hit the nail on the head in all of your post mikeslr.

Perfectly.................Chris.

starhawk

#36 Post by starhawk »

I see something bigger in this, albeit only slightly.

The face of Linux is not Red Hat and SuSE (although those are popular with the Enterprise crowd who do, to be fair, seem to need a level of tech support above "free").

The face of Linux is the phrase "Linux is free software." That's not just what Linux is about, that's the essence of what makes it different from everything else. That's who we are, as Linux users, as well -- people who believe in real freedom. We're in it for everyone, not just ourselves. We care about this stuff.

If we change that, not only do we lose all of that, we become no better than Microsoft or Apple or the others like them -- and probably will descend into a similar madness of being interested more in profit than anything else.

That, to me, is the stuff of nightmares. Yes, paid tech support for free Linux is okay to me as long as the distinction is made that one is paying only for the support -- but that's where I draw my line and it's a firm one. Seems to me that anything stronger is unnecessary and could even be counterproductive (no paid support would be bad for the Enterprise market), but anything weaker... that could easily be a slippery-slope problem.

That's what this is about, to me. Maybe I'm making a mountain out of a molehill. I doubt it. Maybe I'm too late. Wouldn't surprise me (much).

Just... think before you buy, okay? You may not otherwise realize what you just bought... or sold.

Tman

#37 Post by Tman »

mikeslr +1

I hope I am not getting into a flame war here...

Now lets see, if I want to duplicate Announcers' work, what would I have to do?

First I would have to learn how to compile a real-time kernel. How long would that take me to learn...weeks? Months? Even Jemimah said compiling a real-time kernel would be tough.
Next I would have to compile the specialty software that comes with Studio...that will take at least a few weeks more. Then I am sure there would be unforseen problems along the way that I would have to deal with.
Well there goes several months of my life...I would only undertake such a procedure if I really, really wanted to learn how to do it for knowlege's sake. But in all practicality, it would be much, much easier for me to just fork over 30 bucks. Yes, I can install Ubuntu Studio to a USB and make it portable, but it's not nearly as fast.

Bottom line: if you don't like it, don't buy it. But if others want to purchase it, then that's their decision.

Gook Luck to you, lowtech.

Eathray

#38 Post by Eathray »

It's too bad Lowtech burnt a few bridges on his way out. He does very good work. I've tried out one of his earlier versions and it was well done.

Having a few commercial Puppies out there will only serve to benefit the Puppy Linux community by putting it into the hands of people less inclined to join a community like this one and learn an extensive amount of techie stuff. Part of the business world is minimalism and resourcing. It makes a lot more sense for a business to pay for a product, and pay somebody to support it than to pay an employee to learn it from scratch.

I think having both commercial and open-source can only be positive for promoting Puppy. Any one of the fantastic developers here could market their support for a version of Puppy they developed, and still contribute to the projects that are here. Lowtech chose to sell a usb stick (with his development of Puppy included) but that is not the only model that could have been used.

Well, just saying, there's room for both, and it's too bad there are hard feelings about the situation.

Eathray

puppyluvr

#39 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
Tman.. +100
I dont think many of the 'detractors' here realize how much work goes into something like this..
P.A.W. took 7 months, and cost me a wife..
If I could have, IE had the skill, to market it and make a buck, I surely would have..
Deride all you want.. It is a fine product, and encompassed a lot of work..
Argue ethics all you want, but respect impeccable work when you see it..
I have every version, from the inception to 13.37, and use them a lot..
I cant compile an RT kernel successfully, Ive tried..
And most of the apps have to be compiled against the kernel..
Massive attention to detail..
Can we say "A little work"???

Hey Announcer/l0wt3ch, any chance of a devx and kernel sources, I would love to compile against this kernel...
Wireless drivers, ndiswrapper, etc...

RHEL is like a 10 figure business...

But beyond the chaos, this is a great distro..
Just sayin.....
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

01micko

#40 Post by 01micko »

Thanks Announcer :)

Got my complimentary Studio-13.37 stick today.

Recognised my U-CONTROL UCA202 (as Slacko does :wink: ) so I can plug in my mixer and get jammin' :wink:

-

I have no problem with anyone attempting to market open source. Shuttleworth does it, Red Hat have been doing it for eons and they are a multi-million dollar business .. as have countless others tried for better or worse results.

Many users are of the opinion that if it isn't worth paying for it isn't worth having.

Cheers!
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access