booting,partition,Modem

Booting, installing, newbie
joshfan

booting,partition,Modem

#1 Post by joshfan »

Hey,
I know this is probly covered but i have installed puppy to a old 1.5gig
hard drive. It installed fine,but can not get it to set a partition it will not let me save a session, and i go through the proceses to creat a boot disk and it will not do it.

Last thing I have a old 1998 Robotics serial modem and puppy will activate it and dial it recognises it fine but when i dial in it try to connect and then a box comes up and says connection lost or was unable to connect every time. What do i do? if any :?

Foucault

#2 Post by Foucault »

Hi joshfan - I've just succeeded in loading Puppy onto an old Gateway 2000 Solo laptop with about the same amount of hard-disk, so while I'm not yet proficient with Puppy, I might be able to help you.

How much memory do you have on the machine? What version of Puppy do you have? Do you have Windows on the machine also?

In the meantime, you can read my experience here:

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=9948

joshfan

#3 Post by joshfan »

I have a Gateway P4, 256mb Ram. I have no windows on this drive I erased the partition that had win 98 on it so the HD would be only for Puppy. I also have a 80gig HD in side it is my main HD the little one is for my linux. the verstion i have of puppy is 2.01R with Seamonky

Foucault

#4 Post by Foucault »

You should be fine for memory. You say you installed Puppy to your hard-drive. How exactly did you do this? Did you boot the LiveCD then use Gparted within Puppy to sort out the partitions on your drive, then use the universal installer to install Puppy?

joshfan

#5 Post by joshfan »

I loaded the live CD and then leaving it in I just went strait to the universal installer. it walked me through it fine and then gave me the option to make a boot floopy i hit the ok or what ever to make the boot floopy and it goes instantly to "do you want to make another one".
But it did not make the disk the first time.

As for insatll like i said it walk me throught he process preety painless
just not much on creating a partion. Should i use the GParted first? am i detting ahead of myself using the universial installer first?

muggins

#6 Post by muggins »

sounds like it hasn't installed properly, probably because the hard disk partition isn't setup/formatted. if you boot the pup cdrom, then try & mount the hard disk, what happens?

if it doesn't mount, or mounts but puppy install not there, then i would run gparted & assign the partition as linux ext2 or ext3 file system & also, depending on whether you're booting it alone or not, turn the boot flag on for that partition.

then open console window and do:

Code: Select all

mke2fs /dev/hdx, OR for ext3, mke2fs -j /dev/hdx
replacing /dev/hdx with however you're setup is. Then run the universal installer again.

joshfan

#7 Post by joshfan »

Ok I will do that. And by the way:

WOOOOOHOOO!!! I finally got on
line, I down loaded the Puppy
Barebones OS and tryed that
with a small change. the reasonI was not getting on the darn
enternet was A: i was using my netzero high speed.That will notwork with
Puppy because of the software
you have to have to dail in for
high speed. but i sign up for
juno free enternet for just basic