Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
TTW

Saluki Future

#2681 Post by TTW »

jemimah wrote:A bit more about my thoughts on saluki's future...

So there's this time period before the community is large enough to do it, where I feel personally responsible to answer everything but it's not humanly possible. This is what makes me feel like giving up.

Saluki needs its own community outside the murga forum if it is going to attain critical mass, since it needs to be advertised to a different user base than standard puppy. So I'll need committed moderators. Once the first release of saluki is stable, I'll try to set something up.

Remember it took Barry many years to nail down a build system and revision control. It's a lot of overhead and not a lot of fun, and provides little benefit unless there are actually multiple devs on the project. (plus I have a short attention span - I need fast, visible progress to sustain my momentum). I think if I was seriously trying to build a "real" distro, I wouldn't start with Puppy. Amigo is working on KISS linux which shows a lot of promise as a suitable base system, but I don't think he's released anything yet. But I think it should make it easier to build something less ad-hoc. Just musing...
Thank you for the thoughts Jemimah
I would like to see Saluki grow into the OS it shows the promise to be.
I don't think anyone expects you to shoulder the responsibility of this on your own.
As much as I wish I had your knowledge and understanding I am a complete novice compared to you. However, I have skills that may be useful
I do know about websites - I have designed a few and host others - I am happy to provide this knowledge and advice to the community.
As I see it, what is needed is division of labour in order to take Saluki to the next level.
We need developers with Jemimah in the lead.
We need people that can troubleshoot bugs and problems as users test each development
Then we need people to pass knowledge back onto the rest - writing how to's and ensuring that information is easily found by new users to get them up and running and using Saluki for what they need.
Those are my thoughts at a very high level

Yes a good website is part of the solution, yes we will need better communication than just this forum

What we need first though is a team of people with different skillsets that can tackle each element and someone that can manage it overall to make sure all the parts work together.

It's a big project, but together we are more than capable of achieving this.

Of course these are just my thoughts - open to have them challenged or shot down completely, but I am just trying to help

D

TTW

The Future of Saluki

#2682 Post by TTW »

sc0ttman wrote:Regardless of what people think about Saluki being official or not...

If Saluki needs a website, there's an easy option..
and the maintainer won't even need to be all that savvy...

cPanel + QuickInstall

QuickInstall is ridiculously easy to use...
Supports many sites: http://support.hostgator.com/articles/c ... ickinstall

All you then need to do is:

- go into cpanel, use QuickInstall to install wordpress, phpbb, wikka, bbpress, etc
- setup wordpress, phpbb, wikka, etc, as you like them (these ones actually very easy)
- set up some 'moderator' accounts for interested people, email them out
- get a (few) domain(s) and set them up to point where yo uwant..

To keep it cheap, you can use one hosting account and domain for the whole thing, sub domains for each site you setup...

http://saluki.com
http://forum.saluki.com
http://blog.saluki.com
http://wiki.saluki.com
...etc, etc..

Just a thought...
Just a thought or two:

SalukiLinux.com is still available

Personally I dont recommend going down the route of separate subdomains for a forum a blog a wiki etc

The reason being the professional Blog and forum sites are just that, they are much better than anything you can put together on a private site without the resources of a large team dedicated to that of course

Don't go down the free hosting route, most of these either flood your site with ads or go bust, there are a number of cheaper hosting options that are much more robust for the longer term.

My suggestion therefore is:

A dedicated Saluki website with links to
A blog site, a forum and a wiki

Easy to set up, easy to maintain with the ability to divide the labour / expertise to each area

Still fairly cheap to achieve

As usual - just my thoughts and advice - open to challenge and comment

D

jemimah

#2683 Post by jemimah »

Sounds good to me. I sent you a PM. Lets make it happen.

Geoffrey

#2684 Post by Geoffrey »

jemimah wrote:I've uploaded cairo-dock 3.0 into the repo.
I uninstalled cairo-dock-2.4.0 then installed cairo-dock 3.0 which tells me that this lib file is missing libgldi.so.3.

looking in usr/lib I find libgldi.so.3.0.0, making a symlink of libgldi.so.3 to libgldi.so.3.0.0 needs to be made to allow Cairo-Dock to function.

jemimah

#2685 Post by jemimah »

Geoffrey wrote:
jemimah wrote:I've uploaded cairo-dock 3.0 into the repo.
I uninstalled cairo-dock-2.4.0 then installed cairo-dock 3.0 which tells me that this lib file is missing libgldi.so.3.

looking in usr/lib I find libgldi.so.3.0.0, making a symlink of libgldi.so.3 to libgldi.so.3.0.0 needs to be made to allow Cairo-Dock to function.
Thanks. Symlinks sometimes end up missing with cmake builds. New2dir really needs to be rewritten.

futwerk

#2686 Post by futwerk »

a couple of new saluki backgrounds.
Attachments
pupmr13,1.png
http://www.mediafire.com/?7v1msw26s6chb
(38.77 KiB) Downloaded 1336 times
pupmr10,1.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/?7v1msw26s6chb
(17.13 KiB) Downloaded 1333 times

aarf

#2687 Post by aarf »

saluki will write files to /mnt/k8GB even when my sdcard labeled k8GB is not inserted.
Last edited by aarf on Sat 21 Apr 2012, 19:49, edited 1 time in total.

roadkill13

#2688 Post by roadkill13 »

I have installed Saluki 019 to my Acer Aspire One AOD255-2301.

I have been using it for several days now. Everything seems to work with the exception of the ENE Card Reader. I have transferred pictures and movies from a Sony digital camera and an IPAD2 successfully. I have downloaded and burned cd images with an Asus external usb cd/dvd-rw drive. The package manager has worked just fine. I am using the Opera web browser from the repository to post this message.

As for the card reader I had built a module from the preconfigured source code that I found on the Ubuntu Launch Pad some time ago. I had built the module for Ubuntu derivatives and then for Lucid puppy. I found that I could use the one I built for Lucid by copying the keucr.ko module to the appropriate folder even if the kernel was a different than the original 2.6.33.2 kernel used with Lucid.

However that has not worked with any of the 3.x kernels that I have tried. I have read that the source code is for systems using a 2.x kernel. I have thus far been unsuccessful in building the module for the card reader. So far I have been able to use work arounds. I also dual boot with Lucid 5.28 v5 which does work with the module that I built.

I also have installed and used a wireless HP Photosmart Printer with a previous save file.

This is a beautiful piece of work. I am enjoying it immensely. Thank you for the opportunity to test this operating system.
Last edited by roadkill13 on Sun 22 Apr 2012, 02:09, edited 1 time in total.

jemimah

#2689 Post by jemimah »

roadkill13 wrote: I have been using it for several days now. Everything seems to work with the exception of the ENE Card Reader. I have transferred pictures and movies from a Sony digital camera and an IPAD2 successfully. I have downloaded and burned cd images with an Asus external usb cd/dvd-rw drive. The package manager has worked just fine. I am using the Opera web browser from the repository to post this message.

As for the card reader I had built a module from the preconfigured source code that I found on the Ubuntu Launch Pad some time ago. I had built the module for Ubuntu derivatives and then for Lucid puppy. I found that I could use the one I built for Lucid by copying the keucr.ko module to the appropriate folder even if the kernel was a different than the original 2.6.33.2 kernel used with Lucid.

However that has not worked with any of the 3.x kernels that I have tried. I have read that the source code is for systems using a 2.x kernel. I have thus far been unsuccessful in building the module for the card reader. So far I have been able to use work arounds. I also dual boot with Lucid 5.28 v5 which does work with the module that I built.

I also have installed and used a wireless HP Photosmart Printer with a previous save file.

This is a beautiful piece of work. I am enjoying it immensely. Thank you for the opportunity to test this operating system.
Keucr is already included with the 3.2 kernel. If it's not autoloading, you can force it to load using "Configure Kernel Modules" in the control panel. You'll probably want a new save file since the keucr you added is broken and will probably screw things up.

jemimah

#2690 Post by jemimah »

mavrothal wrote:Out of curiosity, why init.d/fuse is in /sbin? :?
leftover? magic?...
No idea. Barry made the package that way. I'll fix it and see if anything breaks.

jemimah

#2691 Post by jemimah »

gcmartin wrote:Using a Live media Saluki19. I have tested the Custom Builder to completion where an adrive_lukixxx.sfs was created upon completion.

Scenario 1
The completion gives instructions on how to use the "adrive....sfs" for a "frugal" use..

Problem, (but not a bug)
  • How should the Custom Builder be used for creating an ISO once this "adrive....sfs" is saved, at any point in the future?
This is grey-area for me. There seems to be a discrepancy with what is a dependency and whether a needed library is a dependency. The Custom Builder pics below show that the Custom Builder on one hand is saying all is well, but if you ask it to verify "all is well" it comes back and says "all is NOT well!" ... ???

Problem
  • Can the Custom Builder resolve this problem without manual (external to the Custom Builder) research and intervention guess-work?
  • Since proper lib presence is key to proper subsystem/application operations, should the Custom Builder be stopping for these status messages... shouldn't it necessarily launch the check for missing libraries for all users without asking?
Note: Judging from the messages JRE-JAVA needs attention in Saluki as well as LIbreOffice. I am aware of the work of @Pemasu & @01Micko on latest LIbreOffice V3.50 if this will help in any way.
There's two kinds of dependencies - the one the packager specifies and can be resolved with the ppm, and dynamic lib deps that can be found with ldd (but can not be fixed with the ppm - must be fixed manually). Ideally, the packager specifies all the ldd deps in the package spec.

In the case of "portable" packages like jre and libre-office, which are not compiled on saluki, there can be missing libs like this but everything still works ok. It would not be correct to list kde and such as dependencies. The right course of action is probably to remove the libs with missing deps from the package. The reason you haven't seen these errors before is that nobody else is checking for them.

In any case, everything will be fine if you proceed after that error.

jemimah

#2692 Post by jemimah »

Saluki-020 has been released. Hopefully this will be the final RC.

DaveS

#2693 Post by DaveS »

'20' seems the best yet, lovely thanks.....

Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

aarf

#2694 Post by aarf »

Code: Select all

wget -4c http://puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net/aarf/luki/luki-019.iso___luki-020.iso.delta
<5MB

James C

#2695 Post by James C »

Seems to be working pretty well here too......

roadkill13

#2696 Post by roadkill13 »

Keucr is already included with the 3.2 kernel. If it's not autoloading, you can force it to load using "Configure Kernel Modules" in the control panel. You'll probably want a new save file since the keucr you added is broken and will probably screw things up.
I did ditch the tainted save file. Thanks. I also found the keucr module in the boot manager via the control panel. I added that module and rebooted. It does not work at this time. The cards are not mounted in Saluki as they are in Lucid.

Sorry about the lengthy log posting above. I did this on the fly and did not realize I had managed to paste the whole thing into the post. I will take that out

I have been on the road these past few days and am quite fatigued. I probably should not be doing this now. :roll:
Last edited by roadkill13 on Sun 22 Apr 2012, 14:09, edited 1 time in total.

battleshooter

#2697 Post by battleshooter »

It's a long time coming, but I've been wanting to just give a bit of a rant on Saluki. (Engineer rant so it'll be in bullet points ;) ) Pertains to Saluki 19 and earlier, haven't downloaded 20 yet.

Like:
  • - Like the different selection of programs XFCE based rather than the general Puppy "P" variety. There's nothing wrong with them, but it's nice for a change to try stuff that's being developed by the wider Linux community.

- Much more modern themes to choose from.

- Love that the PPM now has an option to download the package to keep, it actually makes the PPM useable for me, I swap Pupsaves so often and have a limited internet connection so downloading over and over again isn't an option for me. In the past I'd just go to the repository via web browser.

- Sven is a fantastic touch. Just set your hotkeys, and for any WM, everything is set. Beautiful!

- Repository is fantastic, I really like that I can just look up what I want instead of searching through the forum.

- Real transparency... what can I say, eyecandy dream come true ;) Actually I like it how Saluki is eyecandy friendly.

- Acceleration out of the box, awesome.
Like, but dodgy:
  • - I like Xnoise, a media library that deals with video as well as audio. However it crashes if you drag media from Thunar.

- Gnac would love it if it worked, but it crashes for me when converting flv to MP3 and pressing convert. Converting from flv to other formats seems to work fine.
I tried to record all my little thoughts on Saluki as I've used it in the last few months, but I'm sure there are other things I find great that I've forgotten about. Anyway, thought I'd just throw in some feedback into the fishpond. Thanks for Saluki Jemimah :)
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94580]LMMS 1.0.2[/url], [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94593]Ardour 3.5.389[/url], [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94629]Kdenlive 0.9.8[/url]

shelezyaka

#2698 Post by shelezyaka »

aarf wrote:

Code: Select all

wget -4c http://puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net/aarf/luki/luki-019.iso___luki-020.iso.delta
<5MB
thank you
AMD X2 4400+ Nvidia 440 GTS RAM 3 Gb модем CCU-550 (1x- EVDO PEOPLENET.ua) WiFi D-link DWA-525. CиÑ￾тема уÑ￾тановленна ВСЕГДÐ￾ FULL !

mavrothal

#2699 Post by mavrothal »

jemimah wrote:Saluki-020 has been released. Hopefully this will be the final RC.
Assuming devx 019 should be renamed 020?
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

Sage

#2700 Post by Sage »

v.20
Frisbee isn't picking up SiS190 NIC, nor SNS.
Safest default may be Dougal's? All the other variants seem to find SiS NICs.
Later:
Ah ha! That was a FULL upgrade from v.19. Cannot get sound to work at all now, not even with ALSA. It was working from the liveCD.
Will reinstall the entire edifice!
Even later:
Complete wipe & FULL install seems to have cleared issues, so advice is not to attempt upgrade.
Last edited by Sage on Sun 22 Apr 2012, 11:50, edited 1 time in total.