Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 27 Nov 2014, 21:51
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Akita Linux, Beta 16 ISO
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 42 of 70 [1044 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, ..., 68, 69, 70 Next
technosaurus

PostPosted: Sat 21 Apr 2012, 00:08    Post subject:  

@Scottman - Thanks to your oops, I ended up looking into the size difference of using a full flat set of kernel modules (everything in /lib/modules/$KERNVER rather than subdirectories) ... I had previously played with it on the initrd, and knew it was much faster to run depmod and slightly smaller, but when I tested it on the full set of kernel modules, the difference was about 6Mb and depmod is still nearly instant.

The only gotchas I can think of are scripts and C programs with the subdirectories preprogrammed for insmod $mod or insmod(mod); ...probably stuff like /init or ndiswrapper.c? ... easy to fix though - not even cut and paste - just cut.

sc0ttman

PostPosted: Sat 21 Apr 2012, 13:22    Post subject:  

starhawk wrote:
...and I trust you are on the mend, then?

On the way thanks mate... Still eating carefully, and will be off work for a few weeks yet ...and still (supposed to be) house bound, not driving, etc... But feeling much better... Wanna start exercising soon... But it'll have to wait a month or so..

technosaurus wrote:
@Scottman - Thanks to your oops, I ended up looking into the size difference of using a full flat set of kernel modules (everything in /lib/modules/$KERNVER rather than subdirectories) ... when I tested it on the full set of kernel modules, the difference was about 6Mb and depmod is still nearly instant.

The only gotchas I can think of are scripts and C programs with the subdirectories preprogrammed for insmod $mod or insmod(mod); ...probably stuff like /init or ndiswrapper.c? ... easy to fix though - not even cut and paste - just cut.

Hmmm... interesting... I'll have a look at making this work, next time I create an Akita with a Wary kernel...
If I can work out what I need to do to reliably locate the problems and fix them..

Anyone wanna suggest the best (ideally aufs) 2.6.x kernel to use next time??

don570 wrote:
I made a utility to rename files (version 1.2).
It works well in Akita.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76919

Thanks Don... I'll add it to the repo, Akita already has the following installed: PRename, gFnRename and Renamcon..

jemimah

PostPosted: Sat 21 Apr 2012, 13:46    Post subject:  

technosaurus wrote:
@Scottman - Thanks to your oops, I ended up looking into the size difference of using a full flat set of kernel modules (everything in /lib/modules/$KERNVER rather than subdirectories) ... I had previously played with it on the initrd, and knew it was much faster to run depmod and slightly smaller, but when I tested it on the full set of kernel modules, the difference was about 6Mb and depmod is still nearly instant.

It also breaks dougal's network setup.
technosaurus

PostPosted: Sat 21 Apr 2012, 14:16    Post subject:  

jemimah wrote:
Thanks jemimah, it _should_ be an easy fix... but maybe not ... I'll take a look - It will be part of nanosaurOS/technosaurOS though, I don't mind breaking stuff temporarily on my own box to give it a better long term fix.
jemimah

PostPosted: Sat 21 Apr 2012, 14:30    Post subject:  

technosaurus wrote:
jemimah wrote:
Thanks jemimah, it _should_ be an easy fix... but maybe not ... I'll take a look - It will be part of nanosaurOS/technosaurOS though, I don't mind breaking stuff temporarily on my own box to give it a better long term fix.

It's not too easy, because it breaks the part where you can select which network modules to load or blacklist, etc.

I'm not sure how you will tell which modules relate to networking without the directory structure.

If there's a good way to fix it, let me know. Module loading is much faster with a flat structure - for some reason.
technosaurus

PostPosted: Sat 21 Apr 2012, 17:23    Post subject:  

I would just try to add a variable(s) with all of the network module names (easily found in the tree structure prior to flattening)

Edit: Ok, the code is in /usr/sbin/updatenetmoduleslist.sh (not sure why it isn't just a function) - yep, looks like a predefined list will do - there is already an "$EXTRALIST" in a similar format, so it will actually simplify the code.
... just get rid of the /path/ and the .ko and replace the while loop with a for ONEBASE in $LIST; do ...
... but then there is a verbose dryrun of modprobe on each module, but the output goes to dev/null and the return is not used (why? needed for modinfo?)
... I would also replace the modinfo block containing a bunch of grep/head/cut/tr with a single modinfo and standard shell

Code:
for NET_MODULE in $NET_MODULE_LIST;do
   MOD_TYPE="" MOD_DESCR=""
   modinfo $NET_MODULE |while read LINE || [ "$LINE" ] ; do
      case "`echo $LINE`" in
         alias*)[ "$MOD_TYPE" != "" ] && LINE="`echo ${LINE#*:}`" && MOD_TYPE=${LINE%%:*};;
         description*)MOD_DESCR="`echo ${LINE#*:}`";;
      esac
   done
   echo $NETMODULE' "'$ONETYPE': '$ONEDESCR'"'
done | sort -u > /etc/networkmodules

where network module list is the basename * .ko listing of all drivers - todo

jemimah

PostPosted: Sun 22 Apr 2012, 13:19    Post subject:  

Yeah that should work. A bit high maintenance to remember to generate a new list for each kernel.
technosaurus

PostPosted: Sun 22 Apr 2012, 14:47    Post subject:  

Unless you are going to a new kernel version there should be no changes as long as the generated list is from an all_module build - even then it should be very few ... and the new ones tend to be "staging" quality

I have added an rewrite that should build an identical list (hopefully) ... still using the same "API", but I wrote it from scratch (except for the line that echoes that it is building /etc/networkmodules - that line may or may not be needed anyways - kept just in case).
updatenetmoduleslist.sh.gz
Description 
gz

Download 
Filename  updatenetmoduleslist.sh.gz 
Filesize  1.58 KB 
Downloaded  285 Time(s) 

don570

PostPosted: Sat 28 Apr 2012, 12:43    Post subject:  

I made some useful modifications to pmirror and
changed its name to puppy backup
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=77685

Version 1.4 runs in Akita

PostPosted: Tue 01 May 2012, 17:50    Post subject: Can't wait
Subject description: Have to buy another stick tomorrow

Happy labour day alltogether,

as a huge fan of Puppy Arcade, i am eager to try out akita. The first thing in the morning - thx unemployment Sad - is a visit to my hardware shop for some USB-Pendrives. Look, what have here? Some CDRWs! What the heck, akitas is surely worth n times of them. Thanks again. Having said that, i think a newly acquired (zero Euro found in the trash) year 2001 desktop standing next to me could also be a good home for this puppy. I played around with several linux distros the last week, but none gave me this good "feeling". Looking back, PA10 rewarded me with more fun in personal computing the last two years than any other technical experiences including the first steps with my samsung galaxy s+. I didn't really get started with the whole emulator fun yet. And now this new system. Entertainment and challenge for years. Thanks for sharing!

For the challenge: i couldn't get the wireless working which runs fine on PA 10, so i run it now on vmware, will give vbox a try, too. The wireless dysfunctionality demands investigation on my side.

The Desktop and Interface has improved imho, but that is just an early impression.

Very userfriendly intstallation of TOR.

Definitely worth trying, even for noobs like me!
starhawk

PostPosted: Fri 11 May 2012, 12:28    Post subject:  

Hey, sc0ttman, you OK?

starhawk

PostPosted: Sun 13 May 2012, 12:19    Post subject:  

Has anyone heard from sc0ttman? He doesn't seem to be posting from what I can tell... I hope he's alright and just taking a breather.

Puppyt

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jun 2012, 21:19    Post subject:  

Cooee sc0ttman! Hope all is well with you Smile
Puppyt

PostPosted: Sun 10 Jun 2012, 00:59    Post subject:
Subject description: Pupsave errors in SATA ext3 ext2

Finally scraped some time to revisit the idea that AKITA could be a great foundation for a "Puppy4Kids" platform, what with all the games sc0ttman has provided in his repository... PLUS the consideration to useful learning environments such as PuppyBASIC, TCL/TK (and following on from earlier posts in this thread I think about Pa McClamrock's instructionals http://www.pa-mcclamrock.com/icebox.html) - I reckon provides an environment that bridges a gap for kids who've grown past the HSB (HanSamBen) target audience.

...So I leapt in with trying to install Akita8 (earlier kernel) on a "new" system - an IPEX Slimoffice6 box with: D945GTP microATX mbo; PentiumD 800MHz CPU; 3GB DDR2 RAM at 533MHz; and 160 Gb SATA HD. And while Akita installs from liveCD dreamily, I've got issues with the Pupsave...

On reboot I get the usual Grub4DOS menu, then second line of verbose boot says:
Code:
 /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit: line 56: can't create /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE: Read-only file system

...rest of bootup forges ahead until after
Code:
Recognising media devices... optical, input, keyboard     done

login[2381]: Post login on 'tty1'
Type 'xwin' to start X
#_

and while the prompt flashes, keyboard is dead and only a hard reboot will work.

I save with bootup "numlock on" in Personal Settings, but I note that numlock LED switches off about the time of the PUPSTATE warning message.
Although rebooting with the live CD works fine, it doesn't seem to pick up the akita\pupsave.sfs so that previous application installs can be accessed from the menu etc.

Now all my attempts have been with formatting a small first partition of 16GB for the puppy install, a 512 MB swap partition (for luck only, I think), and the rest ext3 for media storage. On repeated install attempts, the puppy partition has been formatted to ext3 and ext2, and I've established pupsaves in either 3fs or 2fs to correspond. All the installs have been FULL - I haven't tried frugal yet, but will do so shortly as a final resort before headbanging ensues.

Currently running diagnostics from UBCD through the machine like a dose of salts, but nothing in the hardware has pooped itself yet.

Any advice please? I've considered "upgrading" to the buggy(??) newer kernel for Akita, and manually editing rc.sysinit (but with what restorative codes, I can't imagine), and I can manage a quick retry with a FRUGAL install - but beyond that, I'm a complete loss Confused

PS Get well soon, sc0ttman

EDIT: FRUGAL works Smile Now I have a "dual boot" system between frugal and full installs of Akita8 on the same drive. Had to make a huge save file to accommodate all the heavy-graphics games in the Akita repo http://akita.scottjarvis.com/, plus ttuuxx'x offerings of tuxpaint+stamps, tuxmaths and tuxtype here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=263678#263678. Have yet to re-test the Full install, but I don't think I will get any joy with the tinkering I've made with Grub4dos etc...

My next "quick" experiment will be to get some of sc0ttman's games sorted out with missing dependencies - "Epic Inventor" is an Edgar-like platform games that is working (to much delight by kids) despite a huge list of missing dependencies, but "Supertuxcart", "UltimateStunts" and "Pingus" complain about key missing dependencies despite the extra SDL and SDL_net, and openal pets installed. "Seven Kingdoms" is very happy however (oops. forgot to test your "Cartoon Fighter", sc0ttman Embarassed ).
Would I need the Akita devx to silly-putty the missing deps (I am a perennial noob), or hunt up the more universal pets sc0ttman has made for those programs.

With sc0ttman's Flashplayer11.11.2 I have never seen swf's load so snappily without stuttering play...Smile
And OOolight - what a great office suite! I know OOo4kids is around on the forum somewheres, I'll see what the testing/feedback with that will be, later.

Eeek! I missed "Zombiegrinder" (thought it might have been a a music server!), "TileRacer" and the edutainment environ "Scratch". Son's into writing cartoon panels at the moment - wondering (aloud) if Scratch will serve for that?

And now that it's coming together (at least Frugally), I'm seeing little additional projects to rope in the best DOS educational games (via DBGL I reckon - needs JRE1.5+ which sc0ttman has prepared already (1.6)), maybe a few Win apps via Winelite... and maybe Vulture (Falcon's Eye)/Tiles for Nethack, for historical purposes only Smile

sc0ttman

PostPosted: Sun 08 Jul 2012, 11:08    Post subject:  

Hello people....

Akita Linux Beta 9

Download the ISO: http://akita.scottjarvis.com/akita-linux-beta9.iso
size: 91mb, md5: b09c527999a2ba0780bdecbe692fa846

Download the devx: http://akita.scottjarvis.com/akita_devx-b9.sfs
size: 113mb, md5: 6cab1101e73745c8eb0a7e1b1202f8be

Summary of changes:

- latest radky apps, latest zigbert updates, latest shinobar fixes,
- many more apps, emulators and Qt pkgs in akita repo
- new startup options - add new startup file
- added customised icewm to PPM
- fixes in PPM, jwm setup, vlc-gtk, desktop icons, desktop wallpaper settings
- updates to startups, simplewall, pnethood, sfs_edit, toggle_rox_desktop, other stuff
- new PPM option, asks to save the .pet, when downloaded

Full changelog since beta8:

Code:
April 11
   - fixed: pup_event_frontend_d calling snapmergepuppy during 'make', 'cmake', etc (thx Karl Godt)
   - fixed: ROX pinboard icon alignment and refreshing (thx shinobar):
         - in /sbin/clean_desk_icons, /sbin/pup_event_frontend_d, ~/.xinitrc
   - added to Akita repo: samba_client-3.0.26-akita.pet, 1.4mb
   - updated pnethood: auto download and install 'samba_client-3.0.26-akita', if no samba found
   - added to Akita repo and PPM:
         - gens-2.15.5-akita.pet, 540k
         - gens_gs_r7-i486-akita.pet, 733k
         - gens_gs_r7_DOC-i486-akita.pet, 1.5mb
         - snes9x-1.53-akita-i486.pet, 538k
         - snes9x_NLS-1.53-akita-i486.pet, 35k

April 12
   - updated: /usr/local/sfsconvert/sfsconvert: use SFS dir as default workdir, if SFS was given
   - fixes in xfce_minimal-4.2.3.2-akita.pet, in Akita repo

April 13
   - updated to Woofy 0.9: uses wmswitcher, check deps, better GUIs, fixes
   - updated wmswitcher to 0.19, supports e17, 'chroot' style feature
   - updated to yad .17.1.1

April 15
   - fixed startup script: /etc/init.d/rc.pup_event_frontend_d
   - fixes in /usr/sbin/drive_mounter.sh, dont offer to unmount $PUPDRIVE
   - fixed display and removal of LABEL in ROX, /media and JWM drive icons:
         - fixed /usr/sbin/blkid-name-generator
         - fixed /usr/sbin/create_jwmrc_drives.sh
         - fixed /sbin/pup_event_frontend_d
         - fixed ~/Startup/gtk-mnt-links
   - fixed SFS-Edit:
         - unsquash any SFS version
         - other related fixes

April 16
   - update: re-added support for icewm in /usr/sbin/fixmenus
   - fixes and updates for locale changing of JWM menu and PuppyPin (desktop icons)
         - added: /usr/sbin/i18n_puppypin
         - fixes: /usr/bin/jwm_menu_create
         - fixes: /usr/local/bin/fixmenus_on_locale (now uses i18n_puppypin)
         - fixes: /usr/local/desksetup/func (now uses i18n_puppypin)

April 19
   - fixes for wallpaper setting: /usr/sbin/wallpaper,set_wallpaper, ~/my-applications/simplewall
   - fixes for icon switching: /usr/sbin/icon_switcher
   - fixed conky pkg in Akita repo, now works with lua/cairo properly

April 20
   - added to Akita repo:
         - icewm 1.3.7
         - icewm NLS 1.3.7
         - icewm_lite 1.3.7
         - icewm themes 01
         - icon themes 01
   - fixed wmswitcher when switching to icewm
   - fixes in all icon themes
   - fixes in SimpleWall: always update symlink /usr/share/backgrounds/default.jpg to point at chosen wallpaper

April 22
   - new in PPM:
         - added: option to limit search to current kernel pets only
         - added: ask to save a copy of pkg being installed, in ~/Downloads

April 23
   - fixed: open downloads in all mozilla browsers: /usr/local/bin/rox now ignores file://
   - fixed /usr/sbin/delayedrun: only ask to install flash once
   - fixed /usr/sbin/fixmenus: ignore 'jwmrc' files in /etc/xdg/templates if using old code (for icewm)
   - fixed ownership of files in /etc:
         `chown root:root etc/prozilla.conf etc/rc.d/rc.country etc/udev/rules.d/51-hso.rules`
   - fixed: `chmod +x usr/X11R7/lib/xorg/modules/input/wacom_drv.so`
   - fixed pcursel: created symlink from pcur to pcursorsel
   - updated to PupSaveConfig 2.2.1
   - updated to FFConvert 2.1
   - added to akita repo:
         boost-1.46.1.pet
         boost_DEV-1.46.1.pet
         dbus-1.2.26.pet
         dbus_DEV-1.2.26.pet
         libjack-0.121.3-i486.pet
         libjack_DEV-0.121.3-i486.pet
         libjack_DOC-0.121.3-i486.pet
         libjpeg-8d-i486.pet
         mlocate-0.24-i486.pet
         mlocate_DOC-0.24-i486.pet
         mlocate_NLS-0.24-i486.pet
         musescore-1.1-akita.pet
         pingus-0.7.2-akita.pet
         qt-4.8.0-akita.pet
         qt_DEV-4.8.0-akita.pet
         qtfm-5.3-i686.pet
         qupzilla-1.2.0.pet
         qwriter-0.1.9-i386.pet
         stalonetray-0.8.1-i486.pet
         stalonetray_DOC-0.8.1-i486.pet

April 28
   - updated to VLC-GTK 2.3.9:
      - faster disabling of OSC GUI
      - slightly better DVD, VCD handling, added dialog
      - fixed immediate playback of dirs, given through CLI

Jun 24
   - updated /usr/sbin/startups tool
         - can now add your own startup progs through the GUI      
         - updated the 'en' locale file in /usr/share/locale

July 07
   - updated to:
         Access-Finder-4.0.pet
         baconrecorder-2.8.pet
         dir2iso-1.0.pet
         ffconvert-1.3.pet
         firstrun-2.2.pet
         grub4dos-0.4.4.v1.8.0.pet
         pburn-3.6.1.pet
         pfilesearch-1.30.pet
         pfilesearch_NLS-1.3x.pet
         pfind-5.0.pet
         pfind_NLS-5.x.pet
         pman-2.0.pet
         pnethood-0.7.i18n.pet
         pschedule-1.0.2.pet
         pschedule_NLS.pet
         PupApps-1.9.pet
         PupControl-2.2.pet
         pupmd5sum-0.4s.pet
         PupMenu-2.5.pet
         pupsaveconfig-2.2.4.pet
         PupSnap-1.8_Scrot-0.8_32Bit.pet
         Pup-SysInfo-2.1.6.pet
         sfs_load-1.9.6.pet
         shed-1.15-w5.pet
         swapfilemanager-4.2.pet
         xarchive-0.2.8.6.i18n-w5c.pet
   - re-added akita specific fixes to new updates above:
         - rc.shutdown (alsa stuff),
         - pnethood (AppRun auto installs samba),
         - firstrun (runs akita_setup)
         - xarchive wrappers by abushcrafter (supports more file formats)
   - updated akita samba pkg in repo
   - updated/fixed geany help page
   - updated qt deps in PPM, added libjpeg
   - added a4paper thing

The universal installer still doesn't work right, you'll probably have troubles making a full install, unless you steal the original universal installer from pup4, which might work....

Some random screenshots of Akita stuff...
akita_setup.png
 Description   
 Filesize   27.68 KB
 Viewed   884 Time(s)

akita_setup.png

theme_manager.png
Description 
png

Download 
Filename  theme_manager.png 
Filesize  203.42 KB 
Downloaded  187 Time(s) 
startups.png
Description 
png

Download 
Filename  startups.png 
Filesize  111.16 KB 
Downloaded  190 Time(s) 
run_as_spot.png
 Description   
 Filesize   22.45 KB
 Viewed   817 Time(s)

run_as_spot.png

ppm_guis.png
Description 
png

Download 
Filename  ppm_guis.png 
Filesize  136.68 KB 
Downloaded  195 Time(s) 
akita_shutdown.png
 Description   
 Filesize   33.4 KB
 Viewed   834 Time(s)

akita_shutdown.png

icewm_leopard.png
Description 
png

Download 
Filename  icewm_leopard.png 
Filesize  139.51 KB 
Downloaded  206 Time(s) 
icewm_ubuntu.png
Description 
png

Download 
Filename  icewm_ubuntu.png 
Filesize  205.66 KB 
Downloaded  202 Time(s) 
icewm_winclassic.png
Description 
png

Download 
Filename  icewm_winclassic.png 
Filesize  266.99 KB 
Downloaded  215 Time(s) 
xfce_minimal.png
Description 
png

Download 
Filename  xfce_minimal.png 
Filesize  126.37 KB 
Downloaded  203 Time(s) 

Last edited by sc0ttman on Sun 08 Jul 2012, 12:00; edited 3 times in total
Page 42 of 70 [1044 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, ..., 68, 69, 70 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: