Fatdog64-521 (October 12, 2011)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
sebus

#141 Post by sebus »

I like VLC, but found Xine being excellent, played everything I thrown at it
I would miss it...

@Hans, you can sure build VLMC now if you really need it...

I hope GLIBC & GCC compiler will be updated, so then I can use MKVToolNix in Fatdog64, as per http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76007

sebus

Hans

fatdog64-600

#142 Post by Hans »

sebus wrote:
@Hans, you can sure build VLMC now if you really need it...

sebus
Really? A couple of years ago I tried compiling VLC but got stuck in a tangle of dependencies and simply gave up in the end. Is VLMC different? And is it another plugin/module like VLVC?

Gobbi

I can't open djvu's

#143 Post by Gobbi »

Hi, everybody :D
After installing qt3 and qt4 libraries , I've installed the DjVu Librraries PET too but I can't figure out how to open djvu files . Shouldn't it be a djview3 file in /usr/bin/ ? I didn't see one... Can anybody help ?

Good news a new Fatdog is on the way... Thank you for the work...With VLC I can open network streams too , that's why I made it my default media player , keeping xine too alive.
It would be a nice thing if Alsa Mixer could start the digital audio over HDMI as 'UNMUTE' at boot time.
I couldn't do it ...

joe0855

Moonlight plug-in for Fatdog's Aurora browser?

#144 Post by joe0855 »

Hello gents,

I've installed Wowza Media Server on Fatdog64. I am able to stream content from H.264 HW encoders to my intranet. My Windows-based laptops are able to view the streams using the MS Silverlight plug-in. I tried installing the Moonlight plug-in (http://go-mono.com/moonlight/download.aspx) on Fatdog64, but I got an error message saying it's not compatible with Aurora 7.0.1. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Joe

ndujoe1

FatDog64-521

#145 Post by ndujoe1 »

Moonlight always is chasing the ever changing Silverlight. MS$ intends it so I think. so it will never be compatible unfortunately.

Aitch

#146 Post by Aitch »

joe0855
Proprietary codecs made available free-of-charge for Windows Media Video and Audio, for VC-1 and MP3, and in the future H.264 and AAC, only licensed for use with Moonlight when running in a web browser. Other potential decoders include GStreamer and FFmpeg (used during the development stage) but Novell will not provide prepackaged versions of Moonlight with those libraries, because those decoders have not been granted licensing for the use of patented codec technologies.

Microsoft has released two public covenants not to sue for the infringement of its patents when using Moonlight. The first one covered Moonlight 1 and 2, is quite restrictive and it covered only the use of Moonlight as a plugin in a browser, only implementations that are not GPLv3 licensed, and only if the Moonlight implementation has been obtained from Novell. It also notes that Microsoft may rescind these usage rights.[28]

The second covenant is an updated and broader covenant that no longer limits the covenant to users that obtain Moonlight from Novell, it covers any uses of Moonlight regardless of where it was obtained. The updated covenant covers the implementations as shipped by Novell for versions 3 and 4, it no longer distinguishes Novell from other distributions of Moonlight and expands the covenant to desktop applications created with Moonlight. The covenant does not extend to forks licensed under the GNU GPL (Moonlight itself uses the Lesser GPLv2).[29]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moonlight_%28runtime%29

Try downloading a straight firefox/non-Aurora .pet, as I had problems with some other plugins not accepted with Aurora

Aitch :)

joe0855

#147 Post by joe0855 »

Thanks ndujoe1 and Aitch for the prompt feedback! I'll give the non-Aurora Firefox browser a try.

Cheers,
Joe

minesadorada

FatDog 64-bit Lazarus

#148 Post by minesadorada »

Recently, forum user elroy kindly made an SFS of 64-bit Lazarus IDE and FreePascal (at my request) which I then installed and tested on FatDog 521.

As far as I know, it's the only 64-bit Lazarus distribution for Puppy, and it works perfectly on FatDog 521. (The FatDog DevX has to be installed first) Elroy has done a terrific job.

May I suggest the sfs be made available to all FatDog users via the FatDog repository? When I asked elroy, he suggested I ask the FatDog developers - so here I am.

The sfs is available for 30 days at
http://www.smokey01.com/saluki/elroy/la ... x86_64.sfs

Saturn

hi, bug report

#149 Post by Saturn »

Is this distro built on another distro base, other than something that would be compatible with debian packages?

Also, the cpu monitor nor does the cpu temp package work on the taskbar and firefox stays as a "zombie" process after exiting

is this zombie thing a software or hardware issue?

my specs are:

AMD phenom-II 1075T
8GB patriot 1333mhz CL-8 memory
E-vga 520GT Nvidia GPU
80GB hitachi sata 2 hard disk

Also, I would be willing to paste bin any error logs or what not if some one showed me how(which would be deeply appreciated :-) , if that's needed at all, just a semi-linux n00b here that knows a few cli commands and such, other wise average casual linux user

Thanks!

James C

Re: hi, bug report

#150 Post by James C »

Saturn wrote:Is this distro built on another distro base, other than something that would be compatible with debian packages?
Believe FatDog is based on T2. From the FAQ's
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... ebian.html
You may find many foreign packages (Debian/Ubuntu) that work, however many will not. If you cannot find the package you need in the Fatdog64 repository, you’ll probably need to compile that package from source.

DC

DVB

#151 Post by DC »

VLC replacing Xine
a polite request that DVB is enabled in VLC build/configuration

thanks

DC
a little bit of knowledge and I'm dangerous

gcmartin

#152 Post by gcmartin »

Kirk wrote:I'm working on Fatdog64-600 right now. Rebuilt all the base packages with T2. Some of the changes will be VLC replacing Xine, Wpa_gui replacing Frisbee, maybe VLMC replacing Kino. The latest kernel, Xorg, Mesa, Firefox, Flashplayer. I'll try to remember to check out cdrecord, it seems like that was replaced by another project.
Right now just trying to kill bugs.
Hi Kirk

Please to hear that there is an upcoming release.

Would you pLEASE insure that FirstRUN (Shinobar's version) is either a first stop on desktop at boot, or an option on the Menu (traditionally at Menu>Setup>Personalize Settings) so that we users can exercise localization needs in a single screen that works. His tools is over 2 years old in the community, is stable, and he is very responsive to developer needs.

Also, the latest SAMBA which talks to ALL LAN devices which talks to Microsoft-Apple is V3.6.3. TaZoC provided a working model for inclusion in 64bit Puppies. Should it be included, you provide all of us an OOTB solution where no software need be installed when booting Live media. I will update the FATDOG SAMBA User's Guide accordingly.

Thanks in advance, if you choose to allow us users that.

TekVahana

FatDog Wikis

#153 Post by TekVahana »

I have been messing around with flat file wikis with a mind to include one in a custom pup someday, and had a lot of fun with roWiki because it has a lot of wiki wallop for a package that is 4.5k.

I created a little Fatdog wiki, which is nice for a personal wiki for users on a Fatdog boot, but insecure on the web. So I started a re-do in a LionWiki install for a little more security from bots and bozos with a password (PuppyLinux) because I love Fatdog and wanted to do something for all the souls that made it happen to say thanks! every day without being a pest.

The FatDogWiki has a few different skins and your mileage will vary a little there, but for folks needing different color contrasts for easier visibility it could be a cool feature. I need to add the Fatdog logo on those template pages & other odds and ends, but every pup is invited to come snuffle around all they want.

So far 99 and 44/100% of the content for both wikis is essential copypasta from file:///usr/share/doc/home.htm and file:///usr/share/doc/faqs/faq.html from the fd64 boot along with pages from the faq at ibiblio.org, which makes for a pretty terrific cornerstone, IMHO, and, while there's still some housekeeping to do, it is becoming increasingly useable. In the default (and 'red') skins there is a 'menu' panel that pops out on the right when you mouse over to the right edge of the screen while the others usually have the controls at the bottom. Hitting the 'Erase cookies' link takes you back to the default theme.

The old ro wiki (Spot's FatDog Wiki) is still there for sandboxing and whatever uses Puppians can find for it. (The trick to creating a new page there is to edit a page, adding your WikiWord, saving, and clicking on the new link you just made). Download a preliminary copy for your Fatdog local host! (113k unzips to 504k). I hope to trim some fat from it by copying current copy for each page into a fresh copy of ro to dump the old save files from each page revision off the newer version.

I hope this can be helpful, or even useful, in some small way for FatDogUsers and FatDogFans everywhere!

Saturn

General bug for fat dog 521(non critical)

#154 Post by Saturn »

Hi I would like to kindly direct kirk's or anyone that's involved attention to this thread I have created:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 755#620755

Thanks!

elroy

Lazarus-64

#155 Post by elroy »

If you need a 64-bit build of Lazarus/FPC, let me know via pm. I am removing the current 64-bit Lazarus SFS from the Saluki repository.

jamesbond

#156 Post by jamesbond »

Hans, you should be glad to know that your patch has made it and in the next release of Fatdog, lxpanel will show window outline on all pagers.

Thank you for your patch.

cheers!
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Hans

#157 Post by Hans »

You are more than welcome, jamesbond! It is nice to know to have been able to contribute to the good cause.

cheers to you to!

lakedude

#158 Post by lakedude »

A polite request for a few features next go round...

1) Right click unmount all does not work, instead of unmounting all mounted partitions all it calls up Pmount.

2) Inclusion of a right click "xkill" feature to kill any malfunctioning program in the GUI. Works great on browser hangups. 32-bit Puppy had this feature, it was very handy.

3) For my friend BikerMatt who runs server chips with many core CPUS, a higher limit on the number of supported cores. Does it hurt anything to to make this number bigger? He has one machine with 32 cores...

Thanks for all your hard work. FD64 rulz!

jamesbond

#159 Post by jamesbond »

lakedude wrote:A polite request for a few features next go round...

1) Right click unmount all does not work, instead of unmounting all mounted partitions all it calls up Pmount.
The "unmount all" is gone in the next Fatdog. I will see whether I can implement the same "x" right-click unmount featured in recent puppies (no promises).
2) Inclusion of a right click "xkill" feature to kill any malfunctioning program in the GUI. Works great on browser hangups. 32-bit Puppy had this feature, it was very handy.
xkill is already there, perhaps we just need to include this in the menu.
3) For my friend BikerMatt who runs server chips with many core CPUS, a higher limit on the number of supported cores. Does it hurt anything to to make this number bigger? He has one machine with 32 cores...
kirk compiles the kernel, so I'll leave this one up to him.
Thanks for all your hard work. FD64 rulz!
Thank you for your vote of confidence :)
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Jim1911

Update on new Fatdog64

#160 Post by Jim1911 »

Looking forward to your new update, can we expect to see an alpha version soon?

Thanks,
Jim