UPX 3.08 with ExPress GUI ( Lucid 528-005 )

discuss compiling applications for Puppy
chrome307

UPX 3.08 with ExPress GUI ( Lucid 528-005 )

#1 Post by chrome307 »

This should work on all Puppy's I hope as it only consists of two executables that end up in:

/usr/bin/

General info:

Overview:

UPX - The Ultimate Packer for Executables

Homepage:

http://upx.sourceforge.net/

UPX achieves an excellent compression ratio and offers very fast decompression. Your executables suffer no memory overhead or other drawbacks for most of the formats supported, because of in-place decompression. UPX strengths in a nutshell:

■excellent compression ratio: typically compresses better than WinZip/zip/gzip, use UPX to decrease the size of your distribution!

■very fast decompression: ~10 MB/sec on an ancient Pentium 133, ~200 MB/sec on an Athlon XP 2000+.

■no memory overhead for your compressed executables because of in-place decompression.

■safe: you can list, test and unpack your executables. Also, a checksum of both the compressed and uncompressed file is maintained internally.
■universal: UPX can pack a number of executable formats.

■portable: UPX is written in portable endian-neutral C++.

■extendable: because of the class layout it's very easy to add new executable formats or new compression algorithms.

■free: UPX is distributed with full source code under the GNU General Public License v2+, with special exceptions granting the free usage for commercial programs as stated in the UPX License Agreement.

ExPress-gui

A cross-platform GUI wrapper for UPX (Ultimate Packer for eXecutables)

Homepage:

http://code.google.com/p/express-gui/

ExPress is a cross-platform GUI wrapper for UPX (Ultimate Packer for eXecutables) written in Lazarus and Free Pascal with the following features:

•Drag n Drop (both files and folders)
•Multiple files
•Most used UPX options
•Compressing & decompressing at the same time
•Easy to use
•Supports all platforms supported by Lazarus, Free Pascal, and UPX

musher0

#2 Post by musher0 »

Hello.

Thanks for making this available. Is this a maintenance release as compared to UPX v. 3.05 or are there real improvements?

Regards.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

chrome307

#3 Post by chrome307 »

Hi musher0

This is the latest release on their website, I do not know if this is a maintenance release as it is not labelled as such, so I hope that it's a stable release.

For testing purposes, I guess you could just test it using terminal just by using:

upx -t yourfile

there's more info available here on this page:

http://linux.die.net/man/1/upx

musher0

#4 Post by musher0 »

Hi, chrome.

I think it's a stable release. It does everything the previous version did.
I extracted the executable from your package and replaced my older version of UPX with yours. Works fine. (Actually I prefer working with UPX from console.)

Again, thanks. BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)