JRE/JDK JAVA PETs/SFSs issues in Puppy <CLOSED>

Using applications, configuring, problems
gcmartin

JRE/JDK JAVA PETs/SFSs issues in Puppy <CLOSED>

#1 Post by gcmartin »

JAVA Installation Instructions I think the above contributions directly address what this thread was alluding to; namely, "JAVA consistency" across all PUPs.

Last year, when Playdayz+01Micko were working together, ferociously to get latest Puppy out the door, one community member reported something like this; "...installed JRE PET...and on reboot, it could NOT be accessed from a terminal command line...", thus giving an appearance that on reboot, JAVA had disappeared. I run a Live media Puppy and I found this to be true on my Live media reboots with save-sessions, too.

At that time Pemasu had a PET in his Repo that did NOT disappear on reboot in his Repo. In a dialogue I appealed to him (and others) and he responded with a PET that DID STAY IN PUPPY OVER A REBOOT.

This why I draw attention to Pemasu because in doing so he did a very good thing for the official Puppy community.

In a subsequent dialogue when asked what he did, he claimed he did "nothing out of the ordinary" in his PETs production. I am sure that whatever he did, it was so minor that he doesn't know what that was, but, whatever it was, he is still doing this good thing.

But, that problem of JRE's "disappearance" has plagued every PUP distro built since then. It has plagued Exprimo, PUPPY, SLACKO, SALUKI, Barry's etc. which causes the development community to have to investigate each time. That a lot of man-hours over an annual calendar

In this modern world we live, for 32/64bit including "Smart" devices, java (jar programs) development is and will continue for many very good reasons.

Isn't it about time we get an official approach to a JRE or JDK or OpenJDK, where, when the subsystem is installed, it sets itself into the system such that it is not "lost" (that is, lost to the terminal command window) when the system is rebooted.

The following pic shows Playdayz's current PUP528005-1_Libre where the only JRE that I found, which did NOT disappear, was, again, Pemasu's version.

Here to help
Edit: Tardy entry to highlight the contribution by Puppy member "Musher0" which allows the most current JRE version download and install to the running system.
Attachments
JRE_PPM-that-works-in-PUP528005Libre.png
This is PPM showing Pemasu's PET for JAVA support in PUP528-005
(124.44 KiB) Downloaded 6118 times
Last edited by gcmartin on Sun 27 Dec 2015, 18:00, edited 13 times in total.

gcmartin

#2 Post by gcmartin »

This is an example of what is occurring. This is contrasting 2 distros in the Identical same family and releases

This is showing LupuLibre where JRE PET was PPM installed and comparing LupuPLUS-Libre which has JRE built-in.
  • with PPM manual selection of JRE, the ability to access JAVA from rhe command line remains over a save-serssion reboot.
  • with JRE built-in, the abiilty does NOT remain, even when PATH variable is manually set

Code: Select all

------------- Boot LupuLibre 528005-1 ----------------------------------------------------
Playdayz Lupu528-005-1 has path for java execution saved and available on reboots in Live media
sh-4.1# which java
/usr/java/jre1.6.0_31/bin/java
sh-4.1# echo $PATH
/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R7/bin:/root/my-applications/bin:/usr/java/jre1.6.0_31/bin
sh-4.1# java -version
java version "1.6.0_31"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_31-b04)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 20.6-b01, mixed mode, sharing)
sh-4.1# 
System works as one should expect for Java, Libre, and SAMBA.

------------- Boot LupuPlusLibre ----------------------------------------------------
Playdayz LupuPlus is missing path for java execution
sh-4.1# which java
sh-4.1# find / -name java*
/root/.config/libreoffice/3/user/config/javasettings_Linux_x86.xml
/usr/share/doc/gecko-mediaplayer/javascript.txt
/usr/share/gtksourceview-2.0/language-specs/java.lang
/usr/share/gtksourceview-2.0/language-specs/javascript.lang
/usr/java
/usr/java/jre1.6.0_31/bin/java_vm
/usr/java/jre1.6.0_31/bin/javaws
/usr/java/jre1.6.0_31/javaws
/usr/java/jre1.6.0_31/javaws/javaws
/usr/java/jre1.6.0_31/lib/deploy/java-icon.ico
/usr/java/jre1.6.0_31/lib/javaws.jar
/usr/java/jre1.6.0_31/lib/security/java.policy
/usr/java/jre1.6.0_31/lib/security/java.security
/usr/java/jre1.6.0_31/lib/security/javaws.policy
/usr/java/jre1.6.0_31/man/ja_JP.eucJP/man1/java.1
/usr/java/jre1.6.0_31/man/ja_JP.eucJP/man1/javaws.1
/usr/java/jre1.6.0_31/man/man1/java.1
/usr/java/jre1.6.0_31/man/man1/javaws.1
/initrd/pup_ro2/opt/libreoffice3.5/share/Scripts/java
/initrd/pup_ro2/opt/libreoffice3.5/share/Scripts/javascript
/initrd/pup_ro2/opt/libreoffice3.5/share/config/javasettingsunopkginstall.xml
/initrd/pup_ro2/opt/libreoffice3.5/ure/bin/javaldx
/initrd/pup_ro2/opt/libreoffice3.5/ure/lib/javaloader.uno.so
/initrd/pup_ro2/opt/libreoffice3.5/ure/lib/javavm.uno.so
/initrd/pup_ro2/opt/libreoffice3.5/ure/share/java
/initrd/pup_ro2/opt/libreoffice3.5/ure/share/java/java_uno.jar
/initrd/pup_ro2/opt/libreoffice3.5/ure/share/misc/javavendors.xml
/initrd/pup_ro2/root/.config/libreoffice/3/user/config/javasettings_Linux_x86.xml
/initrd/pup_ro2/usr/java
/initrd/pup_ro2/usr/java/jre1.6.0_31/bin/java
/initrd/pup_ro2/usr/java/jre1.6.0_31/bin/java_vm
/initrd/pup_ro2/usr/java/jre1.6.0_31/bin/javaws
/initrd/pup_ro2/usr/java/jre1.6.0_31/javaws
/initrd/pup_ro2/usr/java/jre1.6.0_31/javaws/javaws
/initrd/pup_ro2/usr/java/jre1.6.0_31/lib/deploy/java-icon.ico
/initrd/pup_ro2/usr/java/jre1.6.0_31/lib/javaws.jar
/initrd/pup_ro2/usr/java/jre1.6.0_31/lib/security/java.policy
/initrd/pup_ro2/usr/java/jre1.6.0_31/lib/security/java.security
/initrd/pup_ro2/usr/java/jre1.6.0_31/lib/security/javaws.policy
/initrd/pup_ro2/usr/java/jre1.6.0_31/man/ja_JP.eucJP/man1/java.1
/initrd/pup_ro2/usr/java/jre1.6.0_31/man/ja_JP.eucJP/man1/javaws.1
/initrd/pup_ro2/usr/java/jre1.6.0_31/man/man1/java.1
/initrd/pup_ro2/usr/java/jre1.6.0_31/man/man1/javaws.1
/initrd/pup_ro2/usr/share/doc/gecko-mediaplayer/javascript.txt
/initrd/pup_ro2/usr/share/gtksourceview-2.0/language-specs/java.lang
/initrd/pup_ro2/usr/share/gtksourceview-2.0/language-specs/javascript.lang
/opt/libreoffice3.5/share/Scripts/java
/opt/libreoffice3.5/share/Scripts/javascript
/opt/libreoffice3.5/share/config/javasettingsunopkginstall.xml
/opt/libreoffice3.5/ure/bin/javaldx
/opt/libreoffice3.5/ure/lib/javaloader.uno.so
/opt/libreoffice3.5/ure/lib/javavm.uno.so
/opt/libreoffice3.5/ure/share/java
/opt/libreoffice3.5/ure/share/java/java_uno.jar
/opt/libreoffice3.5/ure/share/misc/javavendors.xml
sh-4.1# echo $PATH
/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R7/bin:/root/my-applications/bin

To get system to properly make java available, it MUST be added to path...same as 528-005-1 with JRE PET installed at top of this page
sh-4.1# export PATH=${PATH}:/usr/java/jre1.6.0_31/bin
sh-4.1# echo $PATH
/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R7/bin:/root/my-applications/bin:/usr/java/jre1.6.0_31/bin
sh-4.1# which java
sh-4.1# java -version
java version "1.6.0_31"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_31-b04)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 20.6-b01, mixed mode, sharing)
sh-4.1#
STILL on Save-session reboot, the PATH is not saved as it is with the PET.
Hope this makes clear what's occurring for correction.

musher0

#3 Post by musher0 »

Hi.

Euh, sorry guys... I never use a pet or a Puppy sfs for java. Making those is a waste of time, IMO.

Save yourself a headache:
From the official java site, simply download a tar.bz2 file of the most recent java for "other" linux's, Unpack it and run it. It will install. all on its own, in /opt.

Then,
symlink (non-relative link) all the executables in /opt/java/bin to /root/my-applications/bin;
in ROX, specify "java -jar" in "default executable" for *.jar files;
finally, add "/opt/java/bin" (or equivalent) at the beginning of /etc/profile in the PATH line.
And voilà, you're ready to use java.
Just click on mucommander.jar, for example, or any *.jar file, and it will launch nicely.

I hope this is helpful.
BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

gcmartin

Methods to run JAVA programs - JAR files

#4 Post by gcmartin »

If a PET doesn't setup your java program for you (*.jar) you can run it from the command-line. See this!
I have been a user of those distro where I can add LibreOffice and JRE.

In addition, I have used @DPUP5520's several tools where he makes them easy to launch from the Menu.
  • AngryIP
  • IP Monitor
Hope this helps

musher0

#5 Post by musher0 »

Hi, gcmartin.

Sorry if I sounded off-the-cuff above, but I never had the problem of java disappearing on any of my Puppies or Muppies. Stange problem indeed.

Stanger still that one would have to create a *.pet ot *.sfs for it since it is so easy to install java, as I explained above.

I offer best wishes for your project.

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

gcmartin

#6 Post by gcmartin »

Thanks @Musher0

Your suggestion is a very plausible one for the community.

Many in the community focus on obtaining subsystems from the PPM as it intends to offer a central authority.

Also, many PETs are often embraced by Barry into the WOOF build for Puppy developers.

That's why this community does this...even for the easy ones. (But, as you can see, sometimes the easy ones don't exactly operate properly.)

I am not a developer. So even if I did do this, Barry knows that I am not a developer and my contribution would have little success reaching our wide audience.

But, others and yourself are regarded with high esteem.

I am just pointing out some of the issues that few are willing to articulate to the Puppy community. Most of what I share are reasonably easy obtains.

Here to help

Karl Godt

#7 Post by Karl Godt »

#!/bin/sh
export PATH="/usr/java/java_xy/bin:$PATH"
exec java "$@"
could be a simple code wrapper to launch java .

Just drop in the existing PATH ie my-applications/bin or /usr/local/bin

Name it java

chmod +x it (make executable)

Maybe missing some
export LD_JAVA_PATH

This fix is so simple, that no one ever complained about it i guess .

here to help :)

musher0

#8 Post by musher0 »

Hello, gcmartin.

Thanks for the explanations.

Sometimes this centralization makes me cringe a little because I believe it would simple enough to teach users to fetch the packages they're interested in outside the PPM -- which is nearly always limited to the distro packages Puppy X tries to "emulate" (wrong word, I know, but it's the only one that pops to mind right now). Whereas the world of Linux is so vast.

gcmartin wroite:
> But, others and yourself are regarded with high esteem.
Moi? :?:

Well, that's a good one! I'll take it while it passes! :) You made my day! :)

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

shinobar

jre-1.6.0.31-1.sfs

#9 Post by shinobar »

musher0

#10 Post by musher0 »

Hello.

Not to diminish your work in general or in particular, shinobar: I'm sure you spent hours preparing this sfs and maintaining it. And you have contributed greatly to the Puppy community.

But indeed, why create a sfs -- when good packages and localized intructions are available to download and install the latest java directly from java?

http://javadl.sun.com/webapps/download/ ... leId=59621

http://www.java.com/fr/download/help/li ... extracting

"Let's not multiply entities needlessly." (Ockham's Principle) It is, put in other words, a Puppy tenet, is it not?

My two cents.

Best regards.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

shinobar

Why SFS?

#11 Post by shinobar »

musher0 wrote:why create a sfs -- when good packages and localized intructions are available to download and install the latest java directly from java?
First, not to comsume the pupsave for flugal install.
Second, you already answered:
musher0 wrote:From the official java site, simply download a tar.bz2 file of the most recent java for "other" linux's, Unpack it and run it. It will install. all on its own, in /opt.

Then,
symlink (non-relative link) all the executables in /opt/java/bin to /root/my-applications/bin;
in ROX, specify "java -jar" in "default executable" for *.jar files;
finally, add "/opt/java/bin" (or equivalent) at the beginning of /etc/profile in the PATH line.
And voilà, you're ready to use java.
Just click on mucommander.jar, for example, or any *.jar file, and it will launch nicely.
My sfs does it automatically. But you need to reboot PC, or once go down to the console and 'exit', then 'xwin' to make the environment refresh.
Third, my sfs has the font setting, needs if you want to use special characters. Needs for Japanese and some internationalized Puppy like Akita, Saluki and etc.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

musher0

#12 Post by musher0 »

@shinobar:

Glad you underlined the plus'ses of your java sfs. Localization, for one factor, is very important.

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

gcmartin

#13 Post by gcmartin »

@Shinobar
I have 2 questions and a real PUPPY dilemma

Dilemma
  • Puppy PPM does NOT use SFSs, to date
Questions
  • I am not sure what is mean about Frugal or size, but, the JAVA support (when it works) doesn't seemingly impact system RAM usage, system performance, or system behavior. So, is the size when a PET installs from PPM versus when a SFS installs that different that it would have a dramatic impact on system usage?
  • If one were to use a SFS to PET converter, would that have a negative outcome as far as the features you include in your SFS?
I'm just trying to understand all of this. And, I am NOT taking issue with anything that is shared.

Remember, the original problem of Playdayz's latest entry in an old one where the JAVA support cannot be accessed, normally, after a reboot of a Live media (save-session) system running in RAM.

For some reason, Pemasu's version was not doing this, yet the versions provided in the PPM and the latest "Libre" versions from Barry are exhibiting this negative behavior with PATHing.

Here to understand and to help

musher0

#14 Post by musher0 »

Hello, people.

I've been asked by a member to upload my java install, and on the way to doing so, I started doing some research. It seems that the problem lies with open|libreoffice having trouble recognizing java versions that come after publication of the particular version of open|libreoffice; the problem does not appear to lie with java and only partially with Puppy. The problem may also lie with users that are too eager to use the latest everything! (Ah, human nature!) :D

After reading how even windows users had problems getting their open|libreoffice to recognize java, for ex. at
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=38811
and at
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=39659
I did a few experiments on my lupu 5.25-retro-4.

In passing, both coolpup and 01micko did a magnificent job in packaging libreoffice for Puppy. We are probably the only Linux to be able to put libreoffice on whatever drive we please.

So, I have installed LO 3.3.1 (01micko's sfs) and coolpup's ROX-app packaging of LO 3.4.3.
As to java, I have installed jre1.6.0_29, jre1.6.0_31 and jre1.7.0_03, all located at /mnt/home/java.

Now, in conjonction with LO, I have tried to get LO to recognize at least one java in the usual way, by way of Tools-> Options -> java -> Add, and then go to /mnt/home/java/jre* and click on a particular java version. My six attempts ended up wit a failure.

However, by going to /initrd/pup_rw/mnt/home/java/jre1.6.0_29, this java was recognized. The other two were not.

Worthy of note, both LO's recognized time and again jre1.6.0_29 hooked to LO in this way. There is a couple of seconds of waiting, but that' s the only annoyance. A java hooked in this way does not "disappear" as in gcmartin's description.

I explain the failure with /initrd/pup_rw/mnt/home/java/jre1.6.0_31, because it was published later.

The failure with /initrd/pup_rw/mnt/home/java/jre1.7.0_03 is probably due to the fact that it is at this time a development version, and also as far as I can tell, it has a slightly different directory structure that the previous javas. If you do a search on < java 1.7 AND open|libre office >, you will come across numerous reports of LO|OOo being allergic to java 1.7 at this time.

As an aside, reportedly, the new Apache OpenOffice 3.4 will fully recognize java 1.7. Apache OpenOffice 3.4 should be out May 1st (a few days from now).

The problem lies partially with Puppy in that, in Puppy, /mnt/home is actually a variable that shadows /init_save/mnt/home. For example, try the find command to find a unique (as in "only one") file in /mnt/home with "ls" as subsidiary command and find will report it twice.

I hope this sheds some light on the problem.

G'bye, all.

PS @the member who asked: In view of the above, I don't think it is necessary for me to assemble a new java package, since the problem does not lie with any java package that a two-legged Puppy could assemble or has assembled! 8)
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

shinobar

|libreoffice and java

#15 Post by shinobar »

musher0 wrote:the problem lies with open|libreoffice having trouble recognizing java versions that come after publication of the particular version of open|libreoffice
LibreOfice-3.5.2 by 01micko's get_libreoffice-0.13.pet:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=65918
My jre-1.6.0.31-1.sfs:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=61287

musher0

Re: |libreoffice and java

#16 Post by musher0 »

shinobar wrote:
musher0 wrote:the problem lies with open|libreoffice having trouble recognizing java versions that come after publication of the particular version of open|libreoffice
LibreOfice-3.5.2 by 01micko's get_libreoffice-0.13.pet:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=65918
My jre-1.6.0.31-1.sfs:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=61287
Good afternoon, shinobar.

Why the 2 URL's below a quote of my message? Not sure I understand, I do not want to mis-interpret. Do these two work well together? Please explain a little. Thanks in advance.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

gcmartin

#17 Post by gcmartin »

I've been asked by a member to upload my java install, and on the way to doing so, I started doing some research. It seems that the problem lies with open|libreoffice having trouble recognizing java versions that come after publication of the particular version of open|libreoffice; the problem does not appear to lie with java and only partially with Puppy. ...
Hi Musher, Playdayz, and Shinobar.

Problem #2
This problem I have incurred with the latest versions of Playdayz's PUPs is that when the system is booting using the ISO generated live media (CD/DVD), when one opens a teminal, types "java -version" the system does NOT KNOW ABOUT JAVA!

I raise this issue because if JAVA is installed, EVERY SUBSYSTEM IN PUPPY SHOULD BE ABLE TO SEE IT FROM A TERMINAL COMMAND LINE.

That's what occurred with the last 3 downloads of the Libre version which are suppose to have JAVA installed.

Problem #1
The other problem I have been sharing since last year's PUPPY is that ONLY CERTAIN PET VERSIONS (couple from Pemasu) worked such that once it was intalled and available system-wide, it would remain in the system over a reboot.

I think I have explain these 2 problems before to the community. This problem has affected various PUPs over the past year where JAVA things in that PUP's version distro, do not work as one should expect. And, this is specific to JAVA and to PPM installations.

I feel that Shinobar offer a solution, but, that introduces a very specialized installation process that is outside of the PPM process. SFSs are good solutions but the REPOs in Linux still are the tools for installation of subsystems and applications, traditionally.

I hope this explains in such a way as it is helpful

musher0

#18 Post by musher0 »

Hello, gcmartin.

What you say is difficult for me to grasp, because I do not have the problem. (See att. 1) As you can see, my Puppy and my machine are not recent.

Off the top of my head I would say that it is a path problem. What does your console output when you type:

echo $PATH
echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
? (See attch. 2)

Every java user should have a profile.local file in /etc with this at the end of it:

# /etc/profile.local
#
### some entries here, usually.
#
PATH=/mnt/home/java/jre1.7.0_03/bin:$PATH
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/mnt/home/java/jre1.7.0_03/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
(Please modify my "/mnt/home/java/jre1.7.0_03" with the proper location where your java is.
"/opt/java/jre<version number>" is the most likely place your java would be installed.)

If your Puppy doesn't recognize the java you have with the above code, I don't know what will... Path definitions work even in Windows! :lol:

Let's forget about java pets, PPM's and sfs's for a minute. It does not really matter which depot you get your java from and in which form. Even if java was embedded in Puppy, if it was not referenced in the PATHs in a manner similar to the above, it would not be found -- neither by Puppy or any system...

At some point, I had the problem too. No java program would launch... until I typed in the proper java paths at the proper place.

Best I can do... Good luck!
Attachments
java-in-path.jpg
(12.88 KiB) Downloaded 1043 times
java-version.jpg
(20.22 KiB) Downloaded 1072 times
Last edited by musher0 on Mon 30 Apr 2012, 22:49, edited 1 time in total.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

musher0

#19 Post by musher0 »

Double post, sorry about that.
Last edited by musher0 on Mon 30 Apr 2012, 22:50, edited 1 time in total.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

shinobar

LupuPlusLibre 5.2.8.005-2

#20 Post by shinobar »

gcmartin wrote:Problem #2
This problem I have incurred with the latest versions of Playdayz's PUPs is that when the system is booting using the ISO generated live media (CD/DVD), when one opens a teminal, types "java -version" the system does NOT KNOW ABOUT JAVA!
Have you tried the most recent LupuPlusLibre 5.2.8.005-2?
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 054#622054