Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Jim1911

#2761 Post by Jim1911 »

jemimah wrote:
Jim1911 wrote:Hi jemimah,

A frugal installation and a full hd installation on an old Dell Dimension 8250 are both working fine even though it's older than your target computer. No problems noted. Internet connection is using wifi.

Cheers,
Jim
Out of curiosity, what are the specs of this computer? Performance is reasonable?
Dell Dimension 8250
Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.4GHz
Memory 1553MB
Video ATI Radeon R300 [Radeon 9700 Pro]

mavrothal

#2762 Post by mavrothal »

jemimah wrote:
mavrothal wrote:Tried to compile a driver in luki 020 and get

Code: Select all

Can't locate Class/Struct.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/share/autoconf /usr/lib/perl5/5.10.1/i486-t2-linux-gnu /usr/lib/perl5/5.10.1 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.10.1/i486-t2-linux-gnu /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.10.1 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.10.1/i486-t2-linux-gnu /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.10.1 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl .) at /usr/lib/perl5/5.10.1/File/stat.pm line 27.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/lib/perl5/5.10.1/File/stat.pm line 27.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/share/autoconf/Autom4te/FileUtils.pm line 42.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/autoconf/Autom4te/FileUtils.pm line 42.
If I remember correctly they were some changes in devx relating to perl. Is this related?
Yes you need to install perl and friends to compile stuff now. It's a pain, but otherwise perl apps' dependencies do not resolve.
Worked, but I think you could add the packages as dependencies to perl_DEV. This should not messup other packages requiring perl(modules) and make installation easy.
If this is not kosher, what about a mock pet to pull the deps?
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

aarf

#2763 Post by aarf »

jemimah wrote:Full install shuts down for me. Yours is broken somehow. Try reinstalling again.
musher has identified some problem with localizations as a cause http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=77818

cthisbear

#2764 Post by cthisbear »

I have connected with wireless on the Asus Eee PC with
Saluki 019.

This has been a Class A stinker 4 wireless.

No Puppeeee or Fluppy has got this to connect.
I may have seen the encrypted network but this netbook
refused to work in any Puppy till today.

So I'll keep testing a few Pups while I have
this netbook available today.

The sound is really low.

""""""""

Saluki 019 Frisbee would not see my encrypted network.

Encrypted >> WPA2 >>

I had to add >>>> rt2800pci to network modules.
using the Classic network wizard.
Now it picks up my hidden network.
Not just a Telstra Bigpond network.

:::::

Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N270 @ 1.60GHz
Socket Designation: PBGA 437

"""""""""""""

Thanks,,,,,,Chris.

OK...Saluki reports.

: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GME
Express Integrated Graphics Controller

Display controller

: Intel Corporation Mobile
945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller

Audio device

: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7
Family High Definition Audio Controller

Ethernet controller :
Atheros Communications AR8132 Fast Ethernet

Network controller
: Ralink corp. RT3090 Wireless 802.11n 1T/1R PCIe

Sage

#2765 Post by Sage »

musher has identified some problem with localizations as a cause
Thanks, aa.
So glad that someone was able to identify this obscure but important defect. Seems that there does need to be some serious re-coding, but not sure by whom?

aarf

#2766 Post by aarf »

Sage wrote:
Thanks, aa.
So glad that someone was able to identify this obscure but important defect. Seems that there does need to be some serious re-coding, but not sure by whom?
at a guess BK woof.

dawg

#2767 Post by dawg »

jemimah wrote:
dawg wrote:One thing I'm missing in Saluki, or rather under its "network status/setup icon" in the tray, is the ability/option to bring the network connection up/down quickly at will, as it is possible in other Puppies.

Edit: Another annoyance / undesired behaviour (AFAIC):
In Thunar: right-click a file -> Gzip. This does make a gzip of the file, but it also deletes the original file afterwards!
One might not want to touch the original file necessarily, other than making a compressed back-up version of it, such as of a file that is currently in use by Puppy (or some app), namely the savefile.
At least with Frisbee, just right click on the tray applet and choose Enable/Disable wireless network.

That is the normal behavior of the gzip binary. Use "create archive" instead if you want a copy.
Well, I didn't mean wireless, but doesn't matter, I guess most people don't need that functionality, and I've just discovered ifconfig ethX up/down.

OK, thanks.
I used to only like Puppy as a friend, but now I think our relationship is starting to develop into something more... :D

josepinto

Re: Evince - Comic Book support

#2768 Post by josepinto »

Geoffrey wrote:
jemimah wrote:
josepinto wrote:Hi,

Could comic book support (.cbz and .cbr files) be enable in Saluki.

Is some extra package necessary or only myme types?

José Pinto
They should open in evince. I doubt the mime types are there though.
These file types open with Evince OOTB, heres some sample files to test it with.

http://oldbugs.calibre-ebook.com/raw-at ... 011cbr.cbr

http://oldbugs.calibre-ebook.com/raw-at ... 011cbz.cbz
Hi,

Your samples open without problems in Evince, which means that I can use Evince to open comics.

However, I have several cbr files, dated from 2006 and burned on CD that do not open in Evince.
Judging from the error message, Evince identifies them as rar files and not as cbr files.
X-Archiver do not open them either.
Could be something related to reading permissions, as the files are on CD?
Or something due to the fact of the files having been created with some ancient version of RAR.

The odd thing is I can open them in a Windows app (SumatraPDF).

Gotta test more files.

Cheers,

José Pinto

smokey01

#2769 Post by smokey01 »

jemimah, it wasn't *.AVI files that were problematic in Xnoise, it was *.MKV files.

Sorry for the duff gen.

jemimah

#2770 Post by jemimah »

Sage wrote:
Thanks, aa.
His fix doesn't not apply to saluki and if you apply it you will likely break things.

yordanj94

#2771 Post by yordanj94 »

Hi.
I can't find a way to make Seamonky to play sound when download is finished.
Is that normal or i am doing something wrong ?
Thanks in advance.

jemimah

#2772 Post by jemimah »

Saluki-21 is out. This included the new midori, fixed ogle, and pupsaveconfig-2.2.1.

musher0

#2773 Post by musher0 »

jemimah wrote:
Sage wrote:
Thanks, aa.
His fix doesn't not apply to saluki and if you apply it you will likely break things.
Hello, jemimah, and the bunch.

Thanks to aarf for pointing me here.

Indeed, my fix is temporary (until BK figures things out). It's a stop-gap. And I have a warning in red ink that people should read? Please?

Basically, it says, use the fix
1) IF you have a Puppy more recent than late February 2012 (hence NOT Saluki, which originated much earlier than that date);

2) AND you are using one of the recent localization packages (it seems that Finnish language localization (?) does not pose any problem, but fr_CA does; but we do not have enough reports to draw any general conclusion.)

3) AND your exit routines DO NOT work properly.

Now that's three conditions... In other words: "if it works, don't fix it!" (English proverb)

The glitch has been reported on the forum very sparsely on recent slacko's and wary's, and on Upup-Precise (this one first-hand, by me).

Additionnally, I would like to add that I am not a programmer. I am an extreme configuration guy, perhaps, but not a programmer. My fix only swaps existing shutdown routines from lupu 5.25 against only those newer ones that are glitchy. I did not touch ANY code.

jemimah is one of the top-notch programmers Puppy has, so, people, please listen to what the Lady says. :D

I hope this clarifies things.

I wish a great day to all fellow members here! BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Geoffrey

Legends

#2774 Post by Geoffrey »

Legends first person shooter online game uploaded to the repo, needs openGL to run.

look in "SFS Downloader", legends-0.4.2.1.sfs 208.6 MB (218,734,592 Bytes), 256.1 MB loaded.

Check out about it here http://legendsthegame.net/

don570

#2775 Post by don570 »

I was able to convert pmirror so that it
can mirror 5 folders now.

I call the application 'Puppy backup'

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=77685

smokey01

#2776 Post by smokey01 »

jemimah wrote:Saluki-21 is out. This included the new midori, fixed ogle, and pupsaveconfig-2.2.1.
Can we have a 20 > 21 diff file please. I have a very slow connection ATM.

shinobar

PPM on Saluki

#2777 Post by shinobar »

Tried to install xfdiffcut from puppy-4-official repository. But the PPM connects to the smokey01.com to download, and failed. (Besides puppy-wary5 and puppy-common seems OK.)
And i request PPM to support the puppy-noarch repository where some langpack can get.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

Geoffrey

Midori

#2778 Post by Geoffrey »

Midori still has a few bugs, click on file to download opens new "Blank page" and popup download window, select "save as" don't work,
goes to status bar cannot be cleared, rightclicking file "save as" works ok.

Bookmarkbar doesn't show anything.

Edit: the package manager doesn't seem to update, can't find cairo-dock-3.0.0-i486.pet, peazip-qt-4.5.pet yet these are in the repo.
Last edited by Geoffrey on Thu 26 Apr 2012, 06:09, edited 2 times in total.

James C

#2779 Post by James C »

Fresh manual frugal install of Saluki 021.Only real problem so far is that Midori is very crash happy.Was here on the forum, clicked the "home" button and instant crash. Otherwise,looking pretty good.

DaveS

Re: Midori

#2780 Post by DaveS »

Geoffrey wrote:speed dial cannot move entries to rearrange them
Strange, that is working for me.......
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!