Solution to poweroff problem on late-model Puppies

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
musher0

Solution to poweroff problem on late-model Puppies

#1 Post by musher0 »

Hello.

I finally found a solution to the shutdown problem that has been bogging down recent Puppies. Simply download and run the attached pet.

This restores the exit routines to what they were before publication of the general localization installs for new Puppies. (end of Febr. 2012)

Based on the exit routines in lupu 5.25-retro-4.

What it does:
It copies the older routines to /root/my-applications/bin, and then swaps them with those in /usr/bin. The original ones are thus kept in /root/my-applications/bin.

Warnings:
* do not use if your shutdown routines work!
* do not use on the "lupu series" Puppies
* at this time, success has been verified only in Upup-Precise 5.3.3.*
Other validations would be appreciated, such as use in the recent wary's and slacko's or generally in newer Puppies with localization capacity built-in

Any constructive criticism welcome. Thanks in advance.

BFN.
Attachments
exits.pet
Exit routines restored from lupu 5.25. Use only if you experience shutdown problems in Puppies with built-in localization capacity.
(1.4 KiB) Downloaded 986 times
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

recobayu

#2 Post by recobayu »

i use your exits.pet in my lupuplus 528.005 full install and it works! thanks.
before this, i have a problem with shutdown and reboot in full install. but now it is fixed.
thanks musher0.. :D

musher0

#3 Post by musher0 »

recobayu wrote:i use your exits.pet in my lupuplus 528.005 full install and it works! thanks.
before this, i have a problem with shutdown and reboot in full install. but now it is fixed.
thanks musher0.. :D
It's nothing at all, recobayu. My pleasure. :)
Have a great day!
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

aarf

#4 Post by aarf »

Jemimah advises NOT to use mushers current fix in saluki http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 724#622724

musher0

#5 Post by musher0 »

aarf wrote:Jemimah advises NOT to use mushers current fix in saluki http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 724#622724
Thanks, aarf, for pointing it out.

I hope this does not get out of hand. I included some precisions on her thread.

I'll repeat here for every one who wants to use my fix:
1) my fix is a stop-gap. BK will eventually provide an official "commit", as pemasu mentioned.
2) I am not a programmer; my fix only swaps older existing routines with the new ones. I am not qualified to change the routines, I only know that this swap works FOR ME, and perhaps one or two others.
3) if your shutdown routines work, don't fix them! (to paraphrase the famous proverb.)
4) the fix is intended for a very few recent Puppies with certain localizations.

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

Bligh

#6 Post by Bligh »

I always boot from cd and have run all of the official Puppies and numerous derivatives. , I have only had a shutdown issue on one gateway 5300 laptop with 4.3.1 with that laptop I simply hit the kill button on the laptop with no apparent issues.
Cheers

nitehawk

#7 Post by nitehawk »

My HP Pavilion ze4300 laptop has MAJOR "no-shut-down" issues with Racy Puppy. For some odd reason,...Wary makes it freeze (cpu peaks)...and the little fan starts to whirrrrr itself to death.

So far it works pretty good with a small frugal install of Puppy 4.3,...and a full install of Macpup 5.2.5. It's a very fussy laptop! :lol:

musher0

#8 Post by musher0 »

Hi, guys.

I imagine that the "shutdown" command calls are very low-level. So reaction may depend on the particular CPU used for a certain computer.

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

greengeek

#9 Post by greengeek »

aarf wrote:Jemimah advises NOT to use mushers current fix in saluki http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 724#622724
I have had shutdown problems in Saluki - it would reboot itself after saving the savefile, when it should have just shut down. My installation was a usb install (and therefore did not offer the choice of frugal/full).

It turns out that the problem only occurred when (after changing the locale) I used the "legacy" routine for the creation of the savefile, and then selected the "save to sda2" option instead of the "save to file" option. (if you choose the "save to file" option it creates a "lukisavexx.2fs" savefile and places it in the home folder but if you choose the "save to sdax" option it is effectively a "save to partition" option and does not create a savefile at all - it simply updates all of the seperate folders that are lying around in the home folder).

Are any other people with shutdown problems using the save-to-partition option instead of the save-to-file option?

Bligh

#10 Post by Bligh »

@ greengeek I had an emachine pc that came with win xp I was running Linspire 5x when it did something similar. I did not notice that it was re-booting and it eventually failed. Puppy was in it's infancy at the time.
Cheers

Karl Godt

#11 Post by Karl Godt »

Just a short note :

I am not affected by these shutdown problems, but there are several complains on the forum, so it must be real .

I have read the fixed files, and they contain a line that is particular of interest for french speaking persons :
[ -e ~/barre-dr.oui ] && /usr/local/bin/rox -t= && mv ~/barre-dr.oui ~/barre-dr.non
I am guessing it is about an additional ROX-Filer panel .

Am i right ?

(I have not used a rox panel for a long time and can't remember it well)

musher0

#12 Post by musher0 »

Karl Godt wrote:Just a short note :

I am not affected by these shutdown problems, but there are several complains on the forum, so it must be real .

I have read the fixed files, and they contain a line that is particular of interest for french speaking persons :
[ -e ~/barre-dr.oui ] && /usr/local/bin/rox -t= && mv ~/barre-dr.oui ~/barre-dr.non
I am guessing it is about an additional ROX-Filer panel .

Am i right ?

(I have not used a rox panel for a long time and can't remember it well)
Hello, Karl.

Yes, you are correct. I am using a rox panel located at the top of my screen, to which I have moved the icons that are by default on the Puppy desktop, and added a few more... (See attachment.)

Now this panel is displayed at Startup with the help of a "switch" script, and the flag for the switch is a dummy file named "barre". When the panel is on, its name is changed to "barre.oui", and when it's off, the name is "barre-non". (bar.yes and bar.no, in French.) That's because ps does not report a rox panel separately -- so if I used a ps flag, it would close the entire ROX-filer environment, which is undesirable, of course. So I use a dummy file.

When I shut down my Puppy, I check the state of the dummy file and close the panel as needed. The script being a switch, if the name of the dummy file is not changed at shutdown AND the panel closed, the panel will not load at next start. Alos, to close the ROX panel properly, the script needs not quite a half-second.

Sorry for the fuss; in my haste to solve my shutdown problem, I actually forgot to check that the shutdown scripts still had some of my code in them -- I should have removed it.

I hope this solves the "mystery"! :D
Attachments
top-of-my-screen.jpg
(25.12 KiB) Downloaded 522 times
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

shinobar

pupsaveconfig-2.2.2

#13 Post by shinobar »

Updated: pupsaveconfig-2.2.2.pet (2012-04-30)
Download from http://shino.pos.to/linux/puppy/.
# v2.2.2 29apr12: deeper layer subdirectory (zekebaby), remove legacy, rc.shutdown: avoid re-login, VERBOSE message, wmpoweroff and wmreboot: startxface4 (Saluki compatible)
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 085#624085
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

musher0

#14 Post by musher0 »

Thanks, shinobar. Will look it over. BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~