slacko 5.3.3, final

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Karl Godt

#341 Post by Karl Godt »

The xz compression was added to the standard kernel with version 2.6.38 .

Since There are/had been several Puppy kernels out version 2.6.39.x the code schould be something like

Code: Select all

KERNEL_VERSION=`uname -r`
KERNEL_VERSION="${KERNEL_VERSION//[[:punct:][:alpha:]]/}"
KERNEL_MAJOR="${KERNEL_VERSION:0:1}"
[ "$KERNEL_MAJOR" = 0 ] && KERNEL_VERSION=1000
KERNEL_VERSION="${KERNEL_VERSION:0:4}"
[ $KERNEL_VERSION -lt 1000 ] && KERNEL_VERSION=$((KERNEL_VERSION*10))
[ $KERNEL_VERSION -ge 2638 ] && COMP="-comp xz" #||gui to select compression

(I bloated it for test if kernel 0.9.x)

playdayz

#342 Post by playdayz »

rxvt -bg orange -fg black -title "$m_01" -geometry 80x6 -e mksquashfs $@ "$COMP"

Appends the "-comp xz" option
Unfortunately the -comp xz seemed to be ignored in remasterpup2 when building the sfs. I tried a few things including hard-coding -comp xz and some "" but it is beyond me. I did do one manually and the difference was from 321MB to 272 MB. Maybe after 5.3.3 is released would be a better time for this? Then I could post a derivative. Concerning the -comp xz, rerwin knows remasterpup2 pretty well, I will ask him.

shinobar, Do I interpret correctly that gcmartin's comments about the "disappearance of java" mean that the java executable is not in the path? i was concentrating on java for Libre and the browsers which seems to work fine, but would a good fix be to make /usr/bin/java containing

/usr/java/java1.6.0_31/bin/java "$@"
I guess the purpose is to run java programs. Are there any to test that people would like to run in Puppy?
Last edited by playdayz on Fri 27 Apr 2012, 18:10, edited 7 times in total.

Karl Godt

#343 Post by Karl Godt »

+ KERNELMAJVER="`echo $KERNERLVER|cut -1`"
+ [ "$KERNELMAJVER" -ge "3" ] && COMP="-comp xz"
typo ..

but Puppy scripts use sometimes KERNELVER and sometimes KERNVER

this has to be looked for also everytime .

Iguleder

#344 Post by Iguleder »

-Xbcj x86
Makes the output image smaller :wink:
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

peebee

#345 Post by peebee »

Hi Mick

Which version of the Broadcom sources are your pets?

Please see my efforts at:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76495

I'll point people to your pets if they are the latest 5.100 versions...

Have you included rerwin's logic to avoid having to do blacklisting?

Cheers
Peter
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

bigpup

#346 Post by bigpup »

01micko wrote:@gcmartin, I'm not adding java as a dep to the libre pet, it's optional and is (AFAIK) only needed for Base, which many users don't use. Can you link me to the exact Java pet that works correctly for you and I'll upload that too and make an sfs.
May be more to it.

Found this statement on Java in the LibreOffice Getting Started Guide.

Quote:
Some LibreOffice features (wizards and the HSQLDB database engine) require that the Java
Runtime Environment (JRE) 1.6.x or higher be installed on your computer. Although LibreOffice will work without Java support, some features will not be available. If you have an older PC and do not
need the features requiring the JRE, you can disable it to speed up the loading of the program.

Quote:
Base (database)
Base provides tools for day-to-day database work within a simple interface. It can create and edit
forms, reports, queries, tables, views, and relations, so that managing a connected database is much the same as in other popular database applications. Base provides many new features, such as the ability to analyze and edit relationships from a diagram view. Base incorporates HSQLDB as its default relational database engine. It can also use dBASE, Microsoft Access, MySQL, or Oracle, or any ODBC-compliant or JDBC-compliant database. Base also provides support for a subset of ANSI-92 SQL.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

01micko

#347 Post by 01micko »

Karl Godt wrote:The xz compression was added to the standard kernel with version 2.6.38 .

Since There are/had been several Puppy kernels out version 2.6.39.x the code schould be something like

KERNEL_VERSION=`uname -r`
KERNEL_VERSION="${KERNEL_VERSION//[[:punct:][:alpha:]]/}"
KERNEL_MAJOR="${KERNEL_VERSION:0:1}"
[ "$KERNEL_MAJOR" = 0 ] && KERNEL_VERSION=1000
KERNEL_VERSION="${KERNEL_VERSION:0:4}"
[ $KERNEL_VERSION -lt 1000 ] && KERNEL_VERSION=$((KERNEL_VERSION*10))
[ $KERNEL_VERSION -ge 2638 ] && COMP="-comp xz" #||gui to select compression

(I bloated it for test if kernel 0.9.x)
Thanks karl but I guess a better test is to just see if the thing exists so I made a different patch

EDIT:
Nah, patch removed, working patch and script in below post.

Iguleder, of course we should add more tests for arch to get the filter right so I'm just leaving it off for now.
Last edited by 01micko on Sat 28 Apr 2012, 04:09, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

01micko

#348 Post by 01micko »

peebee wrote:
Hi Mick

Which version of the Broadcom sources are your pets?

Please see my efforts at:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76495

I'll point people to your pets if they are the latest 5.100 versions...

Have you included rerwin's logic to avoid having to do blacklisting?

Cheers
Peter
Bugger! I hate duplification of effort, I guess I should have looked more closely!

Can you post rerwin's code please? And is it in a conf file or as a pinstall.sh?

Cheers

peebee

#349 Post by peebee »

01micko wrote:Can you post rerwin's code please? And is it in a conf file or as a pinstall.sh?

Cheers
Hi Mick

This is the latest version of Richard's initialisation logic that he sent to me to combine with wl.ko compiled from the Broadcom source - it is both conf files plural (3) and a pinstall.

It's this code that is now in pemasu's Precise Puppy 5.3.3.3

It is more complicated than you might expect because it not only deals with the wl / b43 contention situation but also is setup ready to fallback to an earlier version of the wl driver (5.60) if that is present when the 5.100 driver fails (only 1 report of this to date).

We've also applied the patch to the Broadcom source to cause it to create wlan% instead of eth% as the eth% seems to confuse both sns and some users sometimes.

Should I also send you the 5.100 source with all the patches for wlan% and also for k2.6.39 and also > k3.2???

Cheers
Peter
Attachments
peebee-support_components_for_broadcom-wifi_drvr_pkgs-1.pet
(2.76 KiB) Downloaded 610 times
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

01micko

#350 Post by 01micko »

peebee wrote:
Should I also send you the 5.100 source with all the patches for wlan% and also for k2.6.39 and also > k3.2???

Cheers
Peter
If I can get confirmation from cthisbear or anyone else that your drivers are fine (on Slacko) then I'll remove mine and upload yours.

Please post the patched source, I'm not sure of the legal requirements in this department.. are you even allowed to patch broadcom source? I guess they would want to know about it.

Cheers

peebee

#351 Post by peebee »

01micko wrote: Please post the patched source, I'm not sure of the legal requirements in this department.. are you even allowed to patch broadcom source? I guess they would want to know about it.

Cheers
Hi Mick

I've not done your PAE version - only your vanilla kernel version........

Both ubuntu and debian have patched the source - that's where we got the patches from - don't know if this makes it legal....

It'll take me a bit to package up the source suitable for posting........I'll pm it to you.

Cheers
Peter

01micko

#352 Post by 01micko »

peebee wrote:
Hi Mick

I've not done your PAE version - only your vanilla kernel version........

Both ubuntu and debian have patched the source - that's where we got the patches from - don't know if this makes it legal....

It'll take me a bit to package up the source suitable for posting........I'll pm it to you.

Cheers
Peter
Ok, thanks, I was about to ask about the pae vesion. Also, I posted in your thread about possible problems with permissions on /tmp.

I dislike the idea of using /tmp in pets. You can always create an "install" directory and remove it in the pinstall once all procedures have taken place.

Also. the pinstall.sh needs work to be woof compliant. Bit of a minefield this broadcom stuff!!!
Last edited by 01micko on Fri 27 Apr 2012, 22:58, edited 1 time in total.

pemasu

#353 Post by pemasu »

Most distros have patched the 32-bit driver 5.100.82.112 10/25/2011 wl module source....because it needs a patch for 3.2 - 3.3 kernels.

playdayz

#354 Post by playdayz »

Someone else might want to test the xz patch to remasterpup2 because it is not working for me. However I made a Slacko Libre by manually compressing the sfs and got big space savings.

324 MB default (old-style) gzip (this was the one posted)
272 MB -comp xz
260 MB -comp xz -Xbcj x86 (suggested by iguleder)

That 260 will almost copy into ram on ICPUG's 512MB machine *with* java. Also, I tested and the responsiveness didn't seem any slower because of the higher compression.

zekebaby

Dell C610 no sound

#355 Post by zekebaby »

Sound does not work on a Dell C610 using the latest .5 beta. Alsa wizard detects the Intel sound card and goes through it's configuration without error. Test sound does not make any sound, but does not throw an error. Volume set to max.

Sound works well in Wary 5.3 and Lucid Puppy 5.28 (005)

01micko

Re: Dell C610 no sound

#356 Post by 01micko »

zekebaby wrote:Sound does not work on a Dell C610 using the latest .5 beta. Alsa wizard detects the Intel sound card and goes through it's configuration without error. Test sound does not make any sound, but does not throw an error. Volume set to max.

hmmmm.. if it worked in previous versions that is strange as nothing to do with sound settings has changed. Did a reboot help? A setting in alsamixer?

01micko

#357 Post by 01micko »

Firstly

Libre Office pet, useful for full installs, or running in large RAM. If you use in a pupsave make sure you have at least 600M free or you get corruption when the pet installs. Usefull for woofing too as the pinstall is woof compliant.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... -3.5.2.pet 151M, US only, get the language packs from the libre site.(debs are easiest).

It includes playdayz integration and the pinstall makes all the defaults point to libre writer, calc, etc.

Secondly

I patched remasterpup2 and tested working. I was close before but the option was in the wrong place. It also has the extra option for x86 and I have added code to accommodate for when x86_64 and arm arches become a reality.

--- remasterpup2.orig	2011-09-04 16:55:49.000000000 +1000
+++ remasterpup2	2012-04-28 15:34:06.000000000 +1000
@@ -38,6 +38,7 @@
 #110722 tweak sort.
 #110808 PANZERKOPF: bug fix.
 #110902 rodin.s bug fix.
+#120426 01micko support xz compression

[ "`whoami`" != "root" ] && exec sudo -A ${0} ${@} #110505

@@ -236,6 +237,21 @@
 LANG=C #faster, plus Xdialog happier.
 KERNELVER="`uname -r`"

+#set compression 01micko 120428
+COMP=""
+mksquashfs -help &>/tmp/mk #refuses to grep from stdout
+grep 'xz' /tmp/mk &>/dev/null
+[ "$?" = "0" ] && COMP="-comp xz"
+ARCH="`uname -m`"
+[ "$(uname -m|grep ^i)" ] && ARCH="`uname -m|cut -c3,4`"
+case "$ARCH" in 
+86)AOPT="-Xbcj x86" ;;
+*)AOPT="" ;; #todo add other arches
+esac
+rm /tmp/mk
+COPTIONS=""${COMP}" "${AOPT}""
+#end set compression
+
 #variables created at bootup by /initrd/usr/sbin/init...
 . /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE
 [ "$PUP_LAYER" = "" ] && PUP_LAYER="/pup_ro2"
@@ -507,7 +523,7 @@
   ANOTHER_REMOVE="/lib/modules"
 fi
 # display terminal only for the first stage because it takes the most of time. 'squash' is a function, see above.
-squash / $WKGMNTPT/puppylivecdbuild/$PUPPYSFS -e /etc /proc /initrd /var /tmp /archive /mnt /root /puppylivecdbuild $ANOTHER_REMOVE $DIRHOME $DIRSYS $DIRLOST /$PUPPYSFS
+squash / $WKGMNTPT/puppylivecdbuild/$PUPPYSFS "${COPTIONS}" -e /etc /proc /initrd /var /tmp /archive /mnt /root /puppylivecdbuild $ANOTHER_REMOVE $DIRHOME $DIRSYS $DIRLOST /$PUPPYSFS
 sync

#add pristine folders (out of current puppy.sfs)...
@@ -688,6 +704,8 @@
 Xdialog --wrap --left  --title "$m_01" --msgbox "$m_23" 0 0

sync
+
+
 mksquashfs /tmp/etc $WKGMNTPT/puppylivecdbuild/$PUPPYSFS -keep-as-directory
 sync
 rm -rf /tmp/etc
Attached is the script. I produced a remaster with Libre and Firefox that weighs in at 245M and I removed nothing. I am posting from it now.
Attachments
remasterpup2.gz
gunzip, chmod 755 and overwrite the one in /usr/sbin.
(11.36 KiB) Downloaded 685 times

zekebaby

#358 Post by zekebaby »

01micko wrote:
zekebaby wrote:Sound does not work on a Dell C610 using the latest .5 beta. Alsa wizard detects the Intel sound card and goes through it's configuration without error. Test sound does not make any sound, but does not throw an error. Volume set to max.

hmmmm.. if it worked in previous versions that is strange as nothing to do with sound settings has changed. Did a reboot help? A setting in alsamixer?
Although I didn't keep any old betas, I'm pretty sure it worked in previous versions as well. I rebooted with 'pfix=ram' and nothing improved. I'll try again when I get the laptop back tomorrow. Is there anything in particular you'd like me to check?

01micko

#359 Post by 01micko »

zekebaby wrote:Is there anything in particular you'd like me to check?
Nothing in particular, as long as wireless is ok. You can try the new remaster script :lol:

01micko

#360 Post by 01micko »

RC is out

see main post