Newbies - Puppy needs YOUR help too!

Booting, installing, newbie
cthisbear

#761 Post by cthisbear »

Seen this.

" Puppy Crypt 528 is a remake of the old Puppy Crypts but turned in
a new direction.
Where as the old Puppy Crypt was designed more for simply encrypting files on your computer and having a few more communication and office applications, Puppy Crypt 528 is geared more towards keeping you
as anonymous as possible online with as little technical knowledge needed as possible "

1. Avast-1.3.0 w/fix
2. Elinks-0.11.7
3. Firefox-7.0.1
4. Tor_Bundle-2.2.33-3(Beta)

and much much, more

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/32731622/Puppy% ... pt_528.txt

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=72178

""""""""""

And welcome to Puppy cleg223.

Supply your hardware specs
and Puppy version you have and we will see if
we can supply you with more help.

Chris.

celeronM

#762 Post by celeronM »

Im relatevely new here in the forum, but im running puppy since 2012 in my laptop. I have tried wary,racy, lucid528, 3 head dog, slacko 5.327 legacyos4 akita 8, all these have booted fine in my machine.
My web experience is only for play zynga games in FB, so with that in mind, i tried almost all browsers in the package managers of all puppy, the one that really run was 5.28 because i think has optimized i686 libraries but only IRON browser run zinga games in a level of 10%-25%, well i use one stylesheet to block the annoyng ads of zinga that makes the 45-50% zinga games playable in my machine, but the wireless driver that comes with 5.28 lost conectivity if I go to far of away from modem, meanwhile in slacko is more stable and i can go far away without lost conection, but in slacko is imposible to play zinga games even with IRON browser, in slacko when i close my laptop go to sleep and never come back to life again so i have to cut power of my machine, another problem i cant use my touchpad in slacko if dont copy wary xorg file in it, in racy is the same i cant use touchpad if i dont copy wary xorg file in it, wary and racy are fine but even youtube videos play sluggish, meantime in lucid play just fine,I recently installed legacy os4 and i like so much, all the features, but i cant install IRON browser to see if can run zinga games. So with that in mind. How can I make my own custom puppy for my machine since i know can do well better, with more specific drivers modules libraries kernels and programs. Can someone put me in the right direction?
THESE ARE THE ASPECTS OF MY MACHINE.

dogle

#763 Post by dogle »

Thanks for your comments, CeleronM, and welcome.

If you are keen to build your own custom Puppy, take a look here -
http://bkhome.org/woof/index.html

You are likely to get a better response to particular technical queries if you post in the appropriate forum section (rather than in this thread) - but check the Puppy search engine first,
http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html
- quite likely it will save you the trouble!

knsridhar

#764 Post by knsridhar »

sir
puppy Linux is really a very good distro and i have been using on my low end computers (old) and also on my new ones ,it boots fast and is sufficient for me for doing day to work probably good for professionals also.i recommend puppy linux to all my friends.our nation (India) can save a lot of money by using old computers at home ,schools and organization.support is also very good ,installation is slightly difficult for we are asked many question.pl.ensure that not many questions asked especially with regards to partitions , many people may find difficult to use gparted , otherwise puppy Linux is very very good

hribarj

COMMENTS ON PUPPY

#765 Post by hribarj »

I just installed Puppy about a week ago and thought I would provide some feedback while the trials and tribulations are still fresh in my mind. I will try not to ramble. I have worked with computers all my life, but always with Windows. I'm retired now and have more time to "play around" with some of the new capabilities (music, movies, pictures) that are available on machines today. I ran across Linux when I looked around and saw that I had several old laptops sitting around that were no longer useful. My primary computer is a desktop with all the computing power I need, but I don't have an operating laptop. I really didn't want to buy a new laptop if I could avoid it. That is when some research unearthed Linux. The first distro I tried was Mandriva 2009. With the help of patient people on the forum I was able to get it running, and I used it exclusively for web browsing while watching TV in the living room. Unfortunately, every time I tried to add a functionality I was completely lost. In fact, almost every time I tried, I would mess up the stuff that was working. During this period I learned something about people. Windows users, like myself, tend to think of computers as a necessary evil to achieve an objective. Linux users tend to enjoy making the computer do things just for the sake of the challenge. Both are necessary and fine with me. However, when the two types try to communicate - problems arise! My advise to Linux users: PATIENCE!

rokytnji

#766 Post by rokytnji »

My advise to Linux users: PATIENCE!
But it can be so hard sometimes hribarj. :wink:
@roky It was ignorant of me to expect free help from the type of individuals who choose to use this terrible platform. Your generic advise didn't help and wasn't appreciated.
We are Just volunteers. Just trying to do the pay it foward. Kinda like Old Bikers around a campfire showing the younger bikers the tricks we have learned through experience.

Being a Biker myself. Not a IT professional. Disrespect me at a Campfire, you might end up on your butt.

Online. You just made the ignore list. I can relate to being a babe lost in the woods. I can't relate to being disrespectful or not being polite when requesting help , whether a windows user,linux user or a biker.

If the above person had been a biker and his motorcycle had broke down and I pulled over to give assistance. Well. With that attitude. He would have seen my dust trail. :)

I can only speak for myself. If you have the desire for adventure. Follow instructions from heads wiser than you.

Be Respectful

I for one will do my best if it is my my power to help. AS do many other members on this forum do. You will be surprised actually on the knowledge base here at Murga and the friendly responses on this forum. I am a Happy Harley Rider and Puppy Linux user.

Happy Trails, Rok

jobo

#767 Post by jobo »

my feed back, after a couple of days, is its likely rebuilding a car engine with the instuctions from ikea, there are pages of instruction bthey mean nothing to me, open this,,,, tranfere to that,, open a fat partision on your hard drive, a what ? i keep going from one ref source to another trying to find a starting point that i understand

I know this is largly my problem, but i cant be alone in finding it pages of jibberish, there needs to be a idiots dummies guide that assumes no prior knowlwdge at all and takes you through it in a logical order

the problem is , that very clever people who know it backwards cant believe you need to be told something as obvious as that, where as i do

Dewbie

#768 Post by Dewbie »

jobo wrote:
there needs to be a idiots dummies guide that assumes no prior knowledge at all and takes you through it in a logical order
Try these:
http://www.puppylinux.com
http://www.puppylinux.org
Take your time and read thoroughly.

jobo

#769 Post by jobo »

thanks
but the feedback im giving as a renewbee pupy user, at now 3 days and about 30 hours hair pulling, is that if linux in general and pupy in particular want to get out the computer fanatic market and into the main stream then its needs to be able to install and have it operating at a base level in about 4 hours, any persistance beyond that is based on being obsesive or in my case desperate, any one who just want to use a computer to do somethingwould just give up

the fixation with using a cd is a ( my) problem, but as its designed for old/ailing computers, having a prerequirement that you are either an expert or have a cd burner is a barrier to its use

one of those links gave the advice that if you dont have a computer with a cd burner, then get one ? if i had a working computer with a burner i wouldnt be doing this in the first place, if fact cds at all are becoming rares with notebookes etc

killapup

newbie jitters

#770 Post by killapup »

G'day all,

I'm fairly new to linux in general and Puppy in particular, I'm finding it a bit clunky especially after MacOSX. To fill everyone in, my son-in-law gave me an old Hp t5000 series thin client and told me about small linux OSes that work. Bless his cotton socks... ggrrr Darren.

Anyway, the upshot is that I have been playing with Puppy for about a month now and sort of enjoying it, it certainly is challenging. In short, I have had one install that went well until I somehow blew the boot sector, in the process of trying to clone the working install to a larger pendrive.

Fortunately, I was able to get my second install, after a few false starts mostly due to not making notes along the way, loaded onto a 4Gb pendrive. Unfortunately, this install doesn't seem to be as good, not sure why, as it was done from the same liveCD as the first, I'm using Slacko 5.3, and it seems quite good generally but some things seem to be broken or just very slow to start. :cry:

Over the next little while, I will be posting questions to resolve some of these issues. In the meantime, I will be trying things to find out how the whole system works. I've had a little experience with command line stuff through OSX Terminal but some/most commands are different or not available in Puppy compared to OSX, for obvious reasons.

I will continue to use OSX as my main OS but will continue to hammer Puppy into shape as long as I can find something useful to use it for, I have an idea for it.

Ok, I'll say 'woof, woof' for now and catch you later in the forum.

WindUpToy

#771 Post by WindUpToy »

if linux in general and pupy in particular want to get out the computer fanatic market and into the main stream
Why would we want to do that?
Mainstream is no FUN.

jobo

#772 Post by jobo »

WindUpToy wrote:
if linux in general and pupy in particular want to get out the computer fanatic market and into the main stream
Mainstream is no FUN.
i thought it was in the ''mission statement'' of the linux community to allow the wider public in on the fun and break the strangle hold MS has on the computer market, other wise there is no point in developing user friendly interfaces

the fact is that the benefit of linux is you can mess with it, the downside is you have to mess with it if you want to or not just to get any sort of functionality in it at all. if i could just get it working at base level i could then take my time learning how to make it do more do it better, but i cant even get passed level one and judging by the number of questions in here, neither can quite a lot of people

as the point i made above it seems to require a base level of computer knowledge well above that of the average windows user just to get started

burning an ISO is by no means an easy process for us newbies, even if they had a cd burner

there must be technical reasons why there cant be an automated process of down load, press install and it works at base level, but until there is, it seems destined to remain in the hobby class

my failed install has taught me a lot about how computers operate and i feel im ready to learn the next stage,, but it still doesnt work and im at a complete loss what to do next other than keep checking my post to see if any one has offered any help to me yet on what to do next

jobo

#773 Post by jobo »

just to up date my feed back above, ive now achieved my aim of a running puppy in win 98 with no cd burner or live cd, which looking at it now could have been done in under two hours with some ease, reinforcing the point i made above, maybe walking round with a bemused distracted look for a few days is the rite of passage for linux, but i suspect many would have given it up by day two

Dewbie

#774 Post by Dewbie »

jobo wrote:
maybe walking round with a bemused distracted look for a few days is the rite of passage for linux
This also applies to Windows.
It, too, is a challenge for newbies to learn.
Because it has been around for decades, people tend to forget that.

RetroTechGuy

#775 Post by RetroTechGuy »

Dewbie wrote:jobo wrote:
maybe walking round with a bemused distracted look for a few days is the rite of passage for linux
This also applies to Windows.
It, too, is a challenge for newbies to learn.
Because it has been around for decades, people tend to forget that.
We aren't just talking about "using", but the discussion is referring to installation of the OS...

Puppy Linux is far easier to install than Windows (and far, far faster to install, and to load).
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58615]Add swapfile[/url]
[url=http://wellminded.net63.net/]WellMinded Search[/url]
[url=http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html]PuppyLinux.US Search[/url]

RetroTechGuy

#776 Post by RetroTechGuy »

jobo wrote:
WindUpToy wrote:
Mainstream is no FUN.
i thought it was in the ''mission statement'' of the linux community to allow the wider public in on the fun and break the strangle hold MS has on the computer market, other wise there is no point in developing user friendly interfaces

the fact is that the benefit of linux is you can mess with it, the downside is you have to mess with it if you want to or not just to get any sort of functionality in it at all. if i could just get it working at base level i could then take my time learning how to make it do more do it better, but i cant even get passed level one and judging by the number of questions in here, neither can quite a lot of people
I like the fact that Puppy isn't loaded with every piece of software known to man. This keeps it small and fast.

The average user doesn't need much more than the ability to make a spreadsheet, write a document, watch a video, and browse the web. Puppy does all of those very well.

If you want access to every software name known to man, you may want to try WinXP, Win7, Ubuntu, Debian, Redhat, .... All of them are very large, all of them take quite long to boot (or login), as a result of their size.
as the point i made above it seems to require a base level of computer knowledge well above that of the average windows user just to get started
That would also be true to install Win98 (or XP, or 7) on a computer... Try performing a Win98 on a system with a new, blank HDD...

Puppy has the advantage that doesn't actually need to be installed on the HDD, one can just boot the live-CD.

If the user wants, they can plug in a flash drive and run their lupsave from there (then it doesn't even need the HDD). I did this for probably 6 months, before ever moving my savefile to the hard drive. Then I ran another 6 months live-booting the CD, before I decided to link it into the boot sequence.

On older systems (with Win98 or XP installed), I recommend the Lin'N'Win method.

http://www.icpug.org.uk/national/linnwi ... innwin.htm

This will allow you to hook into the existing Windows boot sequence, adding your frugal Puppy install.
burning an ISO is by no means an easy process for us newbies, even if they had a cd burner
If you are using Windows, get ImgBurn.

http://www.imgburn.com/

jobo

#777 Post by jobo »

RetroTechGuy wrote:
jobo wrote:
WindUpToy wrote: Why would we want to do that?
Mainstream is no FUN.

I like the fact that Puppy isn't loaded with every piece of software known to man. This keeps it small and fast.

The average user doesn't need much more than the ability to make a spreadsheet, write a document, watch a video, and browse the web. Puppy does all of those very well.

If you want access to every software name known to man, you may want to try WinXP, Win7, Ubuntu, Debian, Redhat, .... All of them are very large, all of them take quite long to boot (or login), as a result of their size.
That would also be true to install Win98 (or XP, or 7) on a computer... Try performing a Win98 on a system with a new, blank HDD...

Puppy has the advantage that doesn't actually need to be installed on the HDD, one can just boot the live-CD.

If the user wants, they can plug in a flash drive and run their lupsave from there (then it doesn't even need the HDD). I did this for probably 6 months, before ever moving my savefile to the hard drive. Then I ran another 6 months live-booting the CD, before I decided to link it into the boot sequence.

On older systems (with Win98 or XP installed), I recommend the Lin'N'Win method.

http://www.icpug.org.uk/national/linnwi ... innwin.htm

This will allow you to hook into the existing Windows boot sequence, adding your frugal Puppy install.

its not my intent to start a windows v puppy debate, i think ONCE installed puppy wins hands down, but for ease of first installation then windows wins every time i can load XP on a new hdisc in 2 hours including going and buying the disk, another half hour down loading the programs and im off, its taken me several days of concerted effort to get to the same point with linux. i accept your live disc point, but in my case i cant burn a disc or boot from usb so install it is what ihad to do

that link youve posted above waisted several hours of my time as it tells you to down load isobuster for the win98 installation, but the link given wont work on win98 ? earlier versions dont seem to allow for checking the iso aaar

so, i have the ability to load a windows OS, but not it seems any where near enough to do the same with puppy in less than a working week

i can do it now in under half an hour, but thats not the point, im not a first timer any more and have hours of experiance. maybe in a few months il join the '' i cant believe you find it difficult'' crew ?
im now dowloading pups out of the built in rep that load, tell me their ok but wont launch, proberbly another couple of days to figure that out ?

RetroTechGuy

#778 Post by RetroTechGuy »

jobo wrote:
RetroTechGuy wrote:

its not my intent to start a windows v puppy debate, i think ONCE installed puppy wins hands down, but for ease of first installation then windows wins every time i can load XP on a new hdisc in 2 hours including going and buying the disk, another half hour down loading the programs
2 1/2 hours versus about 5 minutes...sounds like a good deal to me...
i accept your live disc point, but in my case i cant burn a disc or boot from usb so install it is what ihad to do
No libraries near you, where you could use a machine? Or a friend's machine?
that link youve posted above waisted several hours of my time as it tells you to down load isobuster for the win98 installation,
Are you telling me that I need to boot this machine down into Win98 to see what version of ImgBurn I have installed?

I never had to use "isobuster" to get ImgBurn to work...
so, i have the ability to load a windows OS, but not it seems any where near enough to do the same with puppy in less than a working week
So your comparison is that you have "burned" (i.e. pressed) Windows disks, but cannot burn a Puppy disk, and therefore Windows is a better system, and easier to install... Whatever...
im now dowloading pups out of the built in rep that load, tell me their ok but wont launch, proberbly another couple of days to figure that out ?
What version of Puppy are you running? I seem to recall you mentioning that you have an old system -- Did you try Lupu 5.25 Retro?

Dewbie

#779 Post by Dewbie »

jobo wrote:
that link youve posted above waisted several hours of my time
Suggestion:
Read rokytnji's post at top of this page.

harii4

#780 Post by harii4 »

Suggestion:
Try something out-side-the-box. :D
Buy CD
Try distrowatch.com for Linux vendors, like osdisc.com.
http://www.osdisc.com/cgi-bin/view.cgi/ ... cd-pc.html

Or have an Friend or Family member Burn one on their PC

There is more than one way to skin-a-cat :D
3.01 Fat Free / Fire Hydrant featherweight/ TXZ_pup / 431JP2012
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Peace and Justice are two sides of the same coin.