Enable local Cdrom through remote desktop (Solved)

Using applications, configuring, problems
mylon2202

Enable local Cdrom through remote desktop (Solved)

#1 Post by mylon2202 »

Hello I have been working with puppy and securing it down for use as a terminal client. The only problem I have been having is getting the local cdrom to show up in the terminal. I have tried using the option -r disk:cdrom=/mnt/cdrom

This doesn't pass the cdrom through the remote desktop.
It seems like Puppy is running an older version of rdesktop. I have downloaded the newer one in hopes of installing it, but I cannot becasue there is no c compliler installed.
How would I go about either updating rdesktop if it will fix the cdrom issue or just get it going with the current version?

Thanks

Myles

BTW. I have locked down puppy so when it boots I get the remote desktop screen and if the user exits out they will be brought to the desktop with no taskbar and only 3 icons, Shutdown, Restart and Remote Desktop

UPDATE::

I have finally updated the rdesktop to the newest version. It seems to take the -r disk:cdrom=/mnt/cdrom but it still does not show up on the 2003 machine. neither does the floppy. I have tried mounting the file systems before connecting with remote desktop and also tried not having the mounted with no luck.

To get the c compiler to work was a little bit of trouble though due to puppy 2.02 not auto mounting the sfs file automatically..

Got it to work our server had a policy blocking drive redirection. we had no thin clients with drives so we had disabled this and forgot about it.

Just have to figure out if I can get automount cd to work haha

mroose

Re: Enable local Cdrom through remote desktop (Solved)

#2 Post by mroose »

Is this new version availiable in the new puppys?
mylon2202 wrote:Hello I have been working with puppy and securing it down for use as a terminal client. The only problem I have been having is getting the local cdrom to show up in the terminal. I have tried using the option -r disk:cdrom=/mnt/cdrom

This doesn't pass the cdrom through the remote desktop.
It seems like Puppy is running an older version of rdesktop. I have downloaded the newer one in hopes of installing it, but I cannot becasue there is no c compliler installed.
How would I go about either updating rdesktop if it will fix the cdrom issue or just get it going with the current version?

Thanks

Myles

BTW. I have locked down puppy so when it boots I get the remote desktop screen and if the user exits out they will be brought to the desktop with no taskbar and only 3 icons, Shutdown, Restart and Remote Desktop

UPDATE::

I have finally updated the rdesktop to the newest version. It seems to take the -r disk:cdrom=/mnt/cdrom but it still does not show up on the 2003 machine. neither does the floppy. I have tried mounting the file systems before connecting with remote desktop and also tried not having the mounted with no luck.

To get the c compiler to work was a little bit of trouble though due to puppy 2.02 not auto mounting the sfs file automatically..

Got it to work our server had a policy blocking drive redirection. we had no thin clients with drives so we had disabled this and forgot about it.

Just have to figure out if I can get automount cd to work haha