How to use Atheros AR8151 in 3-headed dog?

l2ulinux

How to use Atheros AR8151 in 3-headed dog?

#1 Post by l2ulinux »

The newer Linux Kernel has this driver but I want to use 3 headed dog and it does not have the newer kernel so I am stuck.

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

First, run the command "lspci -nn" and identify the [vendor : product] ID codes for your device. Report back.

Read the discussion here about the atl1e driver in Lupu.

Slacko contains this driver, but it may not support your particular model. Unfortunately, I cannot find a reliable source for its source code.

pemasu

#3 Post by pemasu »

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

Thanks. I found that one, but it doesn't extract cleanly. So I didn't want to trust it.

pemasu

#5 Post by pemasu »

I found several posts about that trailing garbage.
If you extract pet with same command...you get it also. It means that there is some file which tar does not understand...but it does not mean that it wont be extracted.

I am afraid that is the source which there is....

Atheros does not provide links anymore to the drivers...

tempestuous

#6 Post by tempestuous »

l2ulinux,
I have just sent rcrsn51 a message regarding the source code and patches necessary to compile your driver ...
but before we do this, we definitely need to know the PCI device ID of your ethernet hardware.
So, as rcrsn51 asked in the second post, we need you to report the output of this command, please -

Code: Select all

lspci -n
It will be a series of numbers.

tempestuous

#7 Post by tempestuous »

Update - I just saw your other post in the "Three-Headed Dog" thread, and your ethernet apparently works OK in Slacko!?
Three-Headed Dog and Slacko share the same kernel (and thus same drivers) so it's very strange that your ethernet is not working in 3-HD.

Also we shouldn't assume that the compatible driver is necessarily atl1e. It might be atl1c.
You mentioned that your ethernet device works with Saluki, Wary, Racy, Slacko, Dpup and Upup ... but unfortunately you didn't tell us which driver was being used. (It's listed in the Netork Wizard).

I suggest you do a fresh boot to the 3-HD CD, avoiding the pupsave file by specifying "pfix=ram" at the boot prompt, then run the Network Wizard and check if the atl1e driver (or atl1c driver) has automatically loaded and created a network interface.
If not, check for the presence of the drivers with these commands -

Code: Select all

modinfo atl1e
modinfo atl1c