How can I auto-start MUT at boot?

Using applications, configuring, problems
dvw86

How can I auto-start MUT at boot?

#1 Post by dvw86 »

Okay I feel silly for asking this, but I just can't figure it out. I would like to get MUT to auto start at boot up. I have tried placing the start up script in /root/.xinitrc after the line:

Code: Select all

CURRENTWM="`cat /etc/windowmanager`"
exec $CURRENTWM
I also tried putting the start up script in /root/.icewm/startup The funny thing is that clicking on /root/.icewm/startup will start MUT. IceWM is my default window manager by the way.

Placing the start up sript in /etc/rc.d/rc.local doesn't work either. Anyone have any ideas?

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#2 Post by GuestToo »

exec $CURRENTWM transfers out of .xinitrc (in your case to icewm) and never comes back, so any lines you put after the exec command will never be executed

what you would do is run mut before the exec command, as a background process (with an ampersand) ... something like:

path-to-mut &
exec $CURRENTWM

mut won't run from rc.local because mut is an X program, and X hasn't started yet

when .xinitrc is executing, X has started and is running ... in fact, you can start and run any X programs without starting a window manager lik fvwm95 or icewm (you just won't be able to move the windows around, there will be no title bars or task bars or menu)

the icewm-session binary automatically starts icewmbg, icewmtray, icewm, and also runs ~/.icewm/startup ... i didn't include icewm-session in my dotpup package, i wrote a script called icewm-session2 that does about the same thing, but doesn't stay in memory ... icewm-session2 does not run ~/.icewm/startup though

you can add a line to execute the startup script something like this:

. /root/.icewm/startup
exec icewm

or you could add a line to start mut, something like:

path-to-mut &
exec icewm

but if you put it in .xinitrc, it will run mut with fvwm95 and jwm too

dvw86

#3 Post by dvw86 »

Thanks for that great explination. I will give it a try and let you know how it goes.

dvw86

#4 Post by dvw86 »

Putting it in .xinitrc like you said worked. Now how do I get it to default to the "tray icon" like xtmix does in Fvwm95?

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#5 Post by GuestToo »

try putting:

mut.tcl.icon: mini-diskette
mut.tcl.tray: 1

in /root/.icewm/winoptions

you may need to restart icewm (in the logout menu) for it to take effect

or you might prefer:

mut.tcl.icon: mini-diskette
mut.tcl.tray: Exclusive

some tips: http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_IceWM

dvw86

#6 Post by dvw86 »

Thanks GuestToo for your help. I made a Rox-App to help simplify this in the future.