Derivative with Firefox and current Adobe Flash installed

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
longlostname

Derivative with Firefox and current Adobe Flash installed

#1 Post by longlostname »

I am seeking a Puppy derivative that has the current version of Adobe Flash already installed. I would also prefer Firefox as my browser, but that is not required.

It needs to be already installed because I have a PC that does not boot from a flash drive, which means I have to burn an ISO to a CD.

I just downloaded, burned the LighthousePup v5.03-G Mariner ISO because the documentation lead me to believe that it had the current version of Adobe Flash. When used at Hulu.com, I got an error stating that I needed at least v10.1.53.64 of Adobe Flash installed.

Can anyone direct me to an ISO that already has this installed?

Thanks

arcanis

#2 Post by arcanis »

I assume that you are new to Linux, or at the very least new to Puppy, and this can be confusing. I was new to the entire Linux scene nine years ago, and I still remember how frustrating it all was.

First of all, I find that you make some assumptions which will hold you back in using Linux in general and Puppy in particular, for example, that you need the Adobe flash plugin pre-installed, which has led you, perhaps, to the second assumption, that you now need a derivative and not an official Puppy release. I can see myself following this same logic nine years ago, or even eight years ago. You are not alone, so please don't take it I am talking down to you; indeed, I am trying to give some friendly advice.

It is not usual for either official releases or derivatives of Puppy to contain the flash player by default. Instead we download the flashplayer from the package manager after installation. This is also true of running Puppy from a live CD in either multisession, which is using the CD itself for additional persistent storage, or using a file on the hard drive to save personal settings and downloads. (Using the CD without persistence would require you to download Adobe flashplayer every time you boot up, since there would be no way to save it.)

So, now we need to find this legendary package manager (aka PPM) in order to find the flashplayer you need. There are two or three ways to do this in Puppy, and I think there are even three or four in Lighthouse. One thing that is common to both, though, is that the Puppy Package Manager can be found under "SETUP" in the main menu. So let's find that.

Now, click on the Puppy PM and look at the categories. Adobe Flash is nearly always found under 'Internet,' so see if there is not a version equal to or exceeding the version you want, (10.1.53.64), and then chose it. From the popup, choose install. Now, you will be given a choice of repos, that is, the repositories where the files are stored on the Internet. Ibiblio is nearly always the safe choice, although my personal preference is always NLUUG, because the Dutch have never let me down, and they are faster.

Then wait for your download and you will then receive a prompt saying, "So you wanna install this flash thingy, eh?" and then you choose "Yessir, I do" and it will find its way into your Firefox and then you're off.

If, for some reason, you don't have Firefox, you can use the same process to install it. Which leads me to my next point which I will take up in my next post.

cthisbear

#3 Post by cthisbear »

longlostname :

Welcome to Puppy.

Please post your hardware specs mate.
We can then give better advice.

Chris.

longlostname

#4 Post by longlostname »

arcanis,

Yes, i am a newbie to both linux and puppy, so I appreciate your tolerance and patience with me.

The specs for my PC are the following
Intel P4 1.8GHz
2G memory
No hard drive
1 CD drive
2 usb ports
No usb boot option

I am wanting to have a CD that I can take with me to any machine and be able to boot up and use the browser immediately, not have to download the Adobe Flash update each and every time. I understand persistent storage, and I also understand that I could put it to a flash drive, but once again, that is not what I was asking for.

I simply want to know if there is a derivative that ALREADY has the current version of Flash installed.

Thanks

nilsonmorales

#5 Post by nilsonmorales »

you can do many ways
if your pc dont support usb boot you can use this

http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanagers.html

if you use puppy from live cd you can download adobe flash and save your session in your usb or you can make a usb bootable and run puppy from there
theres a lot of methods to run puppy

must continue reading the post inside murga forum iam sure you find your answer http://nilsonmorales.blogspot.com/

arcanis

#6 Post by arcanis »

OK, longlostname, cool: now we see the essence of your need. I am also happy we have some others who now are participating, because it's always good in my opinion to have a variety of ...well, of opinions.

One option which comes to my mind now is to burn a multisession CD if the one you have is not already one. I would choose a smaller image than Lighthouse, perhaps Wary 5.3, which is the official Pup for older hardware, then burn that image onto a new CD using Pburn and leaving it open for future burning.

ONE VERY COOL THING about Puppy is that after boot-up, the entire system is in RAM so you can take out the CD you booted from and still use the burner/optical drive live. You can use this feature to create your new CD.

Then, after burning, boot up your new disk, find a Firefox to download, add your Flash and you should be able to save it to CD. This is accomplished upon reboot, where you will be given save to CD as an option.

I have been able to use the same multisession CD on several different computers in this way, with the only hang-up being having to change the X- setup when switching to a laptop, because the screen was so very different.

I have only had a multisession CD fail me once after creation, and then I determined that the only thing wrong was the CD itself...about one out of 10 in that package were bad. Oh, well.

Now someone should come along and either say I missed a detail, or give you another option. Perhaps someone remembers a Puppy/Pupplet that I lost in the mists of Glennfyddich which has Adobe flash already installed.

Hope this helps.

l2ulinux

#7 Post by l2ulinux »

longlostname:
I am seeking a Puppy derivative that has the current version of Adobe Flash already installed. I would also prefer Firefox as my browser, but that is not required.
!. Why not boot with your CD?
2. Download and install Flash and Firefox.
3. Then do a remaster of the CD with everything installed.
4. That is the Greatest of Puppy.

When you boot the system from your CD Puppy loads to ram.
So after you update what you want from the PPM are go to
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... uppylinux/ and
look in the pet_packages_Lucid.
Search for remaster program and run it and follow the instructions.

You should have what you need.

longlostname

#8 Post by longlostname »

Thank you to all that have responded.

It appears that the answer to the original question is, 'No, there is not a Puppy ISO that already has the current version of Adobe Flash installed.'

Thank you very much for your time.

l2ulinux

Puppy

#9 Post by l2ulinux »

The first and best thing about Puppy is you get to make your own Puppy. That is the reason I told you about the Remaster Puppy Live-CD
program. Which ever release of the Puppy you want to use, you can turn it into MY PUPPY by remastering the live boot-up.
Adobe Flash is updated almost weekly so to build one with already installed might not be the best idea because it it could have a very bad bug in it.
Go with one of the newer Puppy releases with the Remove Builtin Packages program so you can learn to pick and play with the many free programs that is out there to use with Puppy.

kros54

#10 Post by kros54 »

It appears that the answer to the original question is, 'No, there is not a Puppy ISO that already has the current version of Adobe Flash installed.'
There is:
ftp://puppylinux.hu/puppylinux/ISO/MetroPuppyEnFF.iso

arcanis

#11 Post by arcanis »

And so it goes. I am doubtful if our friend, longlostname will ever come back this way, but if he/she does, there is the answer. Maybe it will help someone else.

These generations which have come up now expect things to be handed to them without earning them. They do not know the difference between 'gift' and 'entitlement.'

I was doing more hand-holding than I usually do, just because I thought this time would be different. HA! Shame on me.

But I remember the words of a famous Zen master, so famous that I have forgotten his name, (which I'm sure he would have liked) "Just because the message may not be received does not mean it is not worth sending."

arcanis

#12 Post by arcanis »

És ez így megy. Én kétséges, ha a barátunk, longlostname valaha is visszatér ilyen módon, de ha / csinál, ott van a válasz. Talán ez segít valakinek.

Ezek a generációk, amelyek azért jöttek fel most várják a dolgokat át kell adni őket anélkül kereső őket. Nem tudják megkülönböztetni a "ajándék" és a "jogosultság".

Csinálok több kézre, mint máskor, csak azért, mert azt gondoltam, ez alkalommal más lesz. HA! Szégyen rám.

De emlékszem a szavak egy híres Zen mester, olyan híres, hogy elfelejtettem a nevét, (ami biztos vagyok benne, hogy szerette volna): "Csak azért, mert az üzenet nem fogadhatók nem jelenti azt, hogy nem érdemes adást."

Én nem beszélek magyarul, ez a Google Translate. ;)

Eathray

#13 Post by Eathray »

Kind of an unfortunate exchange. The OP wants something that can't really exist. As soon as a developer compiles his release with the 'current' version of Flash, it's only a matter of time before Adobe releases an update, and the compiled version he installed with his derivative becomes a 'recent' version rather than the current one. This can happen in a day.

There was some good advice for options given here that would have worked with very little effort:

1. multi-session cd with save-file.
2. re-master one's own Puppy cd with desired software installed.
3. cd-boot/usb storage combo
4. bootable usb drive (this can be done without a bios setting).

The OP could have achieved his desires with any of these options on his older machine without a HDD. Unfortunately he wants what he wants, even though no platform simply 'comes' with the latest Flash pre-installed... not Linux, Mac, Windows, BSD, or even Solaris. Some may come with 'a recent version' and the system self-updates on installation, but one's Puppy browser may be set to self-update as well. One of my rigs has a recent version of FF Aurora that persistently alerts me to update my Flash, Java, and all the rest of my plug-ins as soon as it detects an update that is available.

A philosophical conclusion:
There's what we want things to be...
And there's how things really are.

Eathray

sheepy

#14 Post by sheepy »

longlostname wrote:Thank you to all that have responded.

Thank you very much for your time.
slimpup comes with Firefox and flash preinstalled.

Volhout

#15 Post by Volhout »

browserlinux 501 is a 100% match for his requirements.

nooby

#16 Post by nooby »

If you do a frugal install of Lupu-528 and use the quick set up
go to internet pets and install Chromium that one does have Flash
from scatch. I don't know how often they update it but it just woks :)
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though