Modem dials ok but browser can't connect to internet

Booting, installing, newbie
ddavid123

Modem dials ok but browser can't connect to internet

#1 Post by ddavid123 »

I just downloaded the latest version of Puppy Linux Seamonkey 2.02. The only problem is connecting to the Internet! My Zonet hardware modem is detected and it does dial up the ISP, and seems to connect and I get the "conected" statement. But when I open the web browser and type in a valid address, it says the website can't be found, and the dial-up tool reconnects within 30 seconds of the first connect! I even pick up the phone to see if it is trully conecting, and I hear the usual screaching sound on the phone, so I know the modem works. I have used the modem in Linspire Linux and Ubuntu, and I can not figure it out. If anyone has any ideas, it will be greatly appreciated! Other than that, it is a great distro. I love the look and feel of Puppy, and I love the idea of copying the cd to ram. Everything is blazing fast!

Thanks!

Billcnz

#2 Post by Billcnz »

Sounds like you may be using Gnome-ppp, this is a recent addition to Puppy but seems to have some problems with connections dropping out after dialup. Give Gkdial a go, it's a simpler gui than Gnome-ppp but works reliably.

Bill

ddavid123

#3 Post by ddavid123 »

Yes, that is exactly what I used! I tried every connection tool I could find, but nothing! There is one that I thought might work, but I couldn't find the connect button.

Billcnz

#4 Post by Billcnz »

You can type gkdial in a console window, this will start the application but leave the console open so you can take a note of any errors. Note when you add a connection to gkdial you may need to change the connection type from CHAT PAP CHAP (PAP works for me).

Bill

tedward

Substituting GK Dial

#5 Post by tedward »

You can link GK Dial to the desktop "Connect" icon for convenience.
Just right click on the connect icon and use the wizard option box displayed.
This will enable you to break the Gnome PPP link and use GK Dial instead.
I had to do this myself for the same reasons that you are experiencing, ie, Gnome PPP is unreliable on our hardware.

gamfa

#6 Post by gamfa »

If it is connecting but it can't find a web site are you sure you have nameservers called out in your /etc/recolv.conf?
"Don't tell my cattle that I have leather seats in my truck"

"I don't let my schooling get in the way of my education"...Mark Twain