Tor Browser Pet

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
sheepy

Tor Browser Pet

#1 Post by sheepy »

Here is a pet containing the tor browser bundle. It is the latest version of the bundle and I edited it to allow you to run it as root so it will work on Puppy.

Before, you had to install tor, polipo, the torbutton addon, as well as all the dependencies, and it was a hassle, but now you only need this one simple pet package.

You can run it by executing the command "tor"

http://www.datafilehost.com/download-ed2f3ca2.html

rokytnji

Racy 5.2

#2 Post by rokytnji »

Running Ok in

Code: Select all

sh-3.00# inxi -z -F
System:    Host: puppypc2751 Kernel: 3.0.7 i686 (32 bit) 
           Desktop: JWM sn-505 Distro: Racy Puppy Linux
Linux 3.0.7 [i686 arch]
Machine:   System: Acer (portable) product: Aspire 5534 version: V1.10
           Mobo: Acer model: Aspire 5534 version: V1.10 Bios: Acer version: V1.10 date: 08/26/2009
CPU:       Dual core (AMD Athlon X2 L310,1197.198,512 KB,fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow extd_apicid pni cx16 lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy 3dnowprefetch lbrv,2395.16,amd) (-MCP-) cache: unknown  flags: (-) 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 1197.198 MHz 2: 1197.198 MHz
Graphics:  Card: ATI RS780M/RS780MN [Radeon HD 3200 Graphics] 
           X.org: 1.11.0 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: vesa) tty size: 79x23 Advanced Data: N/A for root 
Audio:     Card: ATI SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) driver: HDA Intel Sound: ALSA ver: 1.0.24
Network:   Card-1: Atheros AR928X Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) driver: ath9k 
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller driver: r8169 
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: (254.1GB,1.3% used) () 1: id: /dev/sda model: TOSHIBA_MK2555GS size: 250.1GB 
           2: id: /dev/sdb model: SanDisk_Cruzer size: 4.1GB 
Partition: 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 62.0C mobo: 0.0C 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Info:      Processes: 84 Uptime: 40 min Memory: 235.2/3796.1MB Client: Shell inxi: 1.7.36 
sh-3.00# 
Attachments
tor.jpg
(37.41 KiB) Downloaded 16945 times

TLM

#3 Post by TLM »

Hi,
Thanks for the tor pet. I have been meaning to look into tor, but i have always wondered if the tor browser can exist alongside of an existing normal FireFox installation? Will they conflict in any way?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

You could easily answer your question for yourself if you ran Puppy from a multisession DVD: just install the .pet and try Tor out. If you find that you like it, save it to the DVD and it'll be there the next time you boot. If you don't like it or it doesn't work for some reason, don't save that session.

rokytnji

Amrel RT 786 EX Laptop

#5 Post by rokytnji »

working in Lighthouse 5.03 Frugal install on a

sh-4.1# inxi -F -z
System:    Host: Mariner Kernel: 2.6.33.2 i686 (32 bit) Desktop: JWM sn-498 Distro: Slackware 13.1.0
Machine:   System: Intel (portable) product: Montara Family of Chipsets
           Mobo: Phoenix model: RT786EX version: 41118 Bios: Phoenix version: MGM-ALL1.86C.1009.D.0604271130 date: 04/27/06
CPU:       Single core Intel Pentium M (-UP-) cache: 2048 KB flags: (sse sse2) clocked at 1595.015 MHz 
Graphics:  Card: Failed to Detect Video Card! X.org: 1.7.7 drivers: v4l,intel tty size: 80x24 Advanced Data: N/A for root 
Audio:     Card: Intel 82801DB-ICH4 driver: ICH4 Sound: ALSA ver: 1.0.21
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 3.3GB (72.8% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: IBM size: 3.3GB 
Partition: ID: swap-1 size: 0.75GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
Sensors:   Error: You do not have the sensors app installed.
Info:      Processes: 118 Uptime: 25 min Memory: 156.1/494.0MB Client: Shell inxi: 1.7.36 
I have Firefox and Seamonkey installed in /opt and uninstalled default Opera in this Lighthouse install. Pet installed in

sh-4.1# tor
You are running tor as root. Be careful.
/usr/share/tor-browser/start-tor-browser: line 113: return: can only `return' from a function or sourced script

Launching Tor Browser Bundle for Linux in /usr/share/tor-browser
Which installed a little different in Racy vs Lighthouse. I forgot for the moment where in root the start-tor-browser I dragged and dropped the Desktop launcher from.

I will be making a launcher for wbar in LightHouse later on this. This is a pretty tweaked Lighthouse 5.03 install on this Laptop with latest java .sfs and manual adobe flashplayer install by me also.

I figured I would cover the bases on little known Puppy installs instead of lupu versions which I figure this pet should install and run OK
Attachments
tor.jpg
(67.88 KiB) Downloaded 16807 times

TLM

#6 Post by TLM »

TLM wrote:Hi,
Thanks for the tor pet. I have been meaning to look into tor, but i have always wondered if the tor browser can exist alongside of an existing normal FireFox installation? Will they conflict in any way?
Thanks! Indeed i can. No time at this moment, but i will test and post back as to whether or not tor and normal FF can coexist.

sheepy

#7 Post by sheepy »

TLM wrote:Hi,
The Tor browser bundle comes with its own version of Firefox with the noscript and https addons preinstalled. The browser will run shortly after Vidalia connects.

But, yes, if you have Vidalia running and have the torbutton addon installed on your Firefix, it should run through the tor network correctly. You can always check to make sure at http://www.check.torproject.org

jaydee

#8 Post by jaydee »

just tried the pet on lupu 528 and installed flawlessly -- many thanks to sheepy .

installed the tor browser alongside my firefox 12 and everything looks ok; both browsers connect and even work concurrently, one through tor and one through my ISP.
checked my IP with tor and among the usual stuff, it identified the tor browser as firefox 5.0 (ouch!).
The start page also notified about a security update in the form of a new tor bundle; am i right to assume that i should not install this ?

I did a search on the tor button addon for firefox, and there seem to be quite a few warnings about its use (memory leakage et al) not just by users but also by the developers, to the extent that it has been withdrawn from the mozilla addons repo. it was suggested that creating a separate user profile in firefox was the more prudent option, or just sticking with tor full time, which brings me to my final impression:

anonymity sure is slow. the usual addons (adblock plus, betterprivacy) seem to help (warning: the already included noscript addon initially allows scipts to run globally; you need to fix the settings yourself), but there is still room for improvement.
Would anyone like to offer suggestions (or point to good guide)on optimizing tor browsing speed?

Thanks in advance.

anikin

#9 Post by anikin »

The download link does´t work for me - it goes into a never-ending advertisement loop.
Could you please, upload it somewhere else. Thank you in advance.

sheepy

#10 Post by sheepy »

anikin wrote:The download link does´t work for me - it goes into a never-ending advertisement loop.
Could you please, upload it somewhere else. Thank you in advance.
Sure thing, here you go:
http://www.filedropper.com/tor-browseren-us

Scooby

#11 Post by Scooby »

I want a way to run a version of puppy linux that is stripped of everything
but a vidalia relay hub, Like browser Linux but only vidalia as a relay hub.

Do you think this is possible?

Which puppy Linux would you recommend to use as a base if I want to use your pet?

Is there a very stripped Lucid Puppy?

sheepy

#12 Post by sheepy »

Scooby wrote:I want a way to run a version of puppy linux that is stripped of everything
but a vidalia relay hub, Like browser Linux but only vidalia as a relay hub.

Do you think this is possible?

Which puppy Linux would you recommend to use as a base if I want to use your pet?

Is there a very stripped Lucid Puppy?
There some very cut-down 80ish megabyte pups out there. Using that with this pet would amount to an iso of about 90mb or so. I say go for it!

RIZARDOUZ7

cannot find tor browser

#13 Post by RIZARDOUZ7 »

Hello, I am a newbie and I was wondering where can I find the "tor browser", I have already installed it on my aunt's laptop running puppy precise, the installation of the pet package that I downloaded from your link was successful and said that the tor browser will be located on the "internet" sub-menu, but I can't find it there.

Also, since this has happened to other apps/pet packages that I have installed before, some of them can't be located on the menu, how am I supposed to launch those applications?
Ephesians 2:8-9
King James Version (KJV)

8For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

9Not of works, lest any man should boast.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/jQQKa.gif[/img]

rokytnji

#14 Post by rokytnji »

sorry? wrong thread.

chrome307

#15 Post by chrome307 »

Tor Browser Bundle version 2.2.39-5 ( 29 October 2012 )

Added menu entry and icon - tested on Lucid 528-005

Download ( approx 30mb ):

http://www.datafilehost.com/download-e8de1073.html

RIZARDOUZ7

#16 Post by RIZARDOUZ7 »

chrome307 wrote:Tor Browser Bundle version 2.2.39-5 ( 29 October 2012 )

Added menu entry and icon - tested on Lucid 528-005

Download ( approx 30mb ):

http://www.datafilehost.com/download-e8de1073.html
Thank you very much! :)
Ephesians 2:8-9
King James Version (KJV)

8For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

9Not of works, lest any man should boast.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/jQQKa.gif[/img]

chrome307

#17 Post by chrome307 »

Your welcome :)

duckguy

Tor Browser on Slacko64 Worked Perfectly

#18 Post by duckguy »

Thanks so very much for the link. I downloaded this and it runs fine on Slacko64 v6.3.2.

Those annoying YouTube ads were locking up my Firefox browser, and it was time to fight back. Enter the Tor Network.

Thanks so much. B'H.

StarPup

Tor Browser Pet

#19 Post by StarPup »

Thanks for this super easy to run Tor Browser. I found it while I was reading through all the changements I'd need to make to run Tor as root. This runs right off, no fuss.
Really nice pet. :D

bullpup

#20 Post by bullpup »

May I coin an alternative?

One can also use TOR with the portable Brave Browser. You have the option to launch a "private window with TOR".
If anonymity is what you are looking for (or circumventing ISP blocking of some sites) this is quite a good option, I use it on a regular basis.

I do admit that the browser isn't as hardened as the Tor Browser itself but you can almost toughen it up as Tor Browser itself in the settings menu of said window. Even per session when you run puppy in RAM only mode.

It's an alternative, not a replacement but very very useful.
(Download Link in my signature.)

EDIT: None of the links in this topic work on my end. [/i]
[size=75][i]~Brave puppies need Brave Browsers~[/i][/size]
[url=https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DyTvylADQqf567oY0SL4aHskDu_rxzqd/view?usp=sharing]Brave Browser 'Portable' Tarball[/url]