uncompiling puppy

Using applications, configuring, problems
jus407

uncompiling puppy

#1 Post by jus407 »

is there a way to uncreate puppy, or uncompile it?
example: when you create your own unleashed puppy you must run a script './createpuppy' it there a way to uncreate puppy with a different or even same script?

John Doe

Re: uncompiling puppy

#2 Post by John Doe »

No need. You can build it all from the bottom up with unleashed. These directions are basically how it works, just go download the latest 2.02 version and away you go.

http://www.puppyos.com/puppy-unleashed.htm

ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributio ... .02.tar.gz
ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributio ... gz.md5.txt

jus407

#3 Post by jus407 »

well i know about unleashed but, the thing is i want to edit a certain puppy version and jsut edit it slightly and instead of creating it from scratch i would rather uncompile it and then edit and recompile it,

although i did think of this (nto sure if it would work coudl someone fill me in?) could it be possibile to install the cd into a partition (say partition 'A') then unzip the unleashed package (in partition B) then copy all the files of partition A into the folder that gets compiled (i believe its called 'root0sfs' or something) then add the packages you want and recompile it? i would try it real quick but i dont have the time maybe i will try in a few days...

Pizzasgood

#4 Post by Pizzasgood »

There are scripts to edit a Puppy, but they won't degrade it to the actuall packages. They just let you change stuff. The process is called "remastering." Unlike unleashed, you edit a premade puppy. I haven't looked into remastering the 2.x series, so I don't know what the state of the scripts is like anymore. But there are several for the 1.x series, including one I made called Hackyremaster.

I guess I should put updating my scripts for Puppy 2.x on my todo list.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]