Firefox Plug-in Flash Help for Winded Old Junkers [Outdated]

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
Eathray

Firefox Plug-in Flash Help for Winded Old Junkers [Outdated]

#1 Post by Eathray »

Hi All,

(Title edited per request)

So I've been fixing up an old junker that performs very well for it's decrepit age, but of course, I dare not take this old geezer anywhere near YouTube for fear of a heart-attack that might lite this ancient processor ablaze...

That is until I discovered this very useful Firefox plug-in, created by lovinglinux (Ubuntu guy). Here's the link:

Edit, No longer at the Mozilla site, but still available at Softpedia:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/I ... acer.shtml

'Flash Video Replacer' is the name. It took me all of 3 minutes to set up and I kept asking myself, "Where's the hard part?" It never came.

I strolled over to YouTube, clicked a video I am familiar with, and boom, Gxine launched, grabbed all the info, and for the first time in a decade, this old-timer played a video without a single stutter.

I've had very little success making old-timers stream well. This add-on works, so I thought I'd share. Here's the specs for grandpa:

HP Pavillion 6535
Original 466 (upgraded to 600) Mhz
512 ram, massive swap
TurboPup, Akita, BrowserPup, 4.3RemasterByTtuuxxx

If you've got an old junker that you've managed to make perform in every way except stream video... this may help.

Eathray

EDIT: More complete instructions per Flash's request.

There's not a lot to this... It's just a matter of installing the plug-in and fixing your settings to your machine's needs. Here's the set-up and what I did:

Rig:
HP Pavilion 6535
P2 466 Mhz, Upgraded to P3 600 Mhz
Ram, 128 Meg, Upgraded to 512 Meg
Ext3 16 Gig, Swap 4 Gig

Distro:
There are 4 versions of Puppy on this rig. The one I used for this plug-in is TurboPup Extreme V1. I used ScottJarvis' excellent Firedog 3.6.6 as my version of Firefox. Flash is 10.0.0 from the Doku site. Java is 1.6.0.22, an excellent version on datafilehost.com. Also installed on Firedog is NoScript. This plug-in works fine with NoScript, and I read also works well with Flashblock; don't know about AdBlock, but assume it's fine since these others work.

Directions:
1. Go to Mozilla add-ons site: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... oreplacer/
2. Click install.
3. Click to restart when prompted.
4. Browser should open with box desplaying add-ons under extensions tab.
5. If browser does not re-open in normal time for your rig, restart your computer: /Menu/Shutdown/reboot. When rebooted, open browser. Go to /Tools/Add-ons/Extensions. You should see FlashVideoReplacer. Highlight by clicking.
6. Select preferences. Preferences open.
7. Replacement tab; I have Preferred Method: Embedded; play videos automatically: checked; plug-in/mime type: autodetect; fall-back player: do not use.
8. Quality Tab; default quality: low; prefer mp4 over flv: checked.
9. Downloads Tab; Download destination: /root/desktop; silent download: unchecked.
10. Sites tab; enable/disable websites; youtube: checked; vimeo: checked; metacafe: checked; other streaming websites: checked.
11. Alerts tab; enable alerts; errors: checked; video info: checked; tips: checked.
12. Select close. This is how my preferences are set. Obviously you may need to adjust for your machine.
13. Navigate to Youtube.
14. Select a video.
15. After loading, the Gxine plug-in dialogue fills the Youtube player. A moment later, Gxine opens. Select /View/Window size/ your selection (I choose 100%, about the same size as the YouTube player.

That's it on my end. It worked immediately for me on the first try. You may have to make adjustments if you're using a different Puppy, have a different version of Firefox, have a different Stand alone player, etc.

I hope this will be given a go by many out there with older machines. I'm anxious to see reports that it worked as well for others as myself.

Eathray
Last edited by Eathray on Tue 31 Dec 2013, 14:45, edited 6 times in total.

RetroTechGuy

Re: Newly Discovered Video Assistance for Winded Old Junkers

#2 Post by RetroTechGuy »

Eathray wrote:Hi All,

So I've been fixing up an old junker that performs very well for it's decrepit age, but of course, I dare not take this old geezer anywhere near YouTube for fear of a heart-attack that might lite this ancient processor ablaze...

That is until I discovered this very useful Firefox plug-in, created by lovinglinux (Ubuntu guy). Here's the link:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... oreplacer/

'Flash Video Replacer' is the name. It took me all of 3 minutes to set up and I kept asking myself, "Where's the hard part?" It never came.

I strolled over to YouTube, clicked a video I am familiar with, and boom, Gxine launched, grabbed all the info, and for the first time in a decade, this old-timer played a video without a single stutter.

I've had very little success making old-timers stream well. This add-on works, so I thought I'd share. Here's the specs for grandpa:

HP Pavillion 6535
Original 466 (upgraded to 600) Mhz
512 ram, massive swap
TurboPup, Akita, BrowserPup, 4.3RemasterByTtuuxxx

If you've got an old junker that you've managed to make perform in every way except stream video... this may help.

Eathray
Cool. I'm goign to try it on my "grandpa" (333HMz PII laptop)
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58615]Add swapfile[/url]
[url=http://wellminded.net63.net/]WellMinded Search[/url]
[url=http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html]PuppyLinux.US Search[/url]

Eathray

Re: Newly Discovered Video Assistance for Winded Old Junkers

#3 Post by Eathray »

RetroTechGuy wrote: Cool. I'm goign to try it on my "grandpa" (333HMz PII laptop)
I had to reboot on install because FF didn't restart, but it launched fine on reboot.

I set the stream for auto, quality for low, window size for 100%, and format to favor mp4 over flv. That's it. worked fine on the first go. Took a minute for Gxine to do it's thing, but once it did, perfect.

You may need to adjust settings for your rig.

Good luck, and post back if it works for your old-timer as well.

Eathray

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

Since this is supposed to be a how-to, why don't you edit your first post to include in detail the steps you took to install it? Think of it as writing the recipe for your award-winning brownies. :lol:

Eathray

#5 Post by Eathray »

Flash wrote:Since this is supposed to be a how-to, why don't you edit your first post to include in detail the steps you took to install it? Think of it as writing the recipe for your award-winning brownies. :lol:
Will do. Gotta get done with work.

Eathray

Edit: Done

Eathray

#6 Post by Eathray »

Update:

I just tested the FlashVideoReplacer on 4.3RemasterByTtuuxxx. Firefox is 3.5.3... same set up.

First test crashed, but I had just replaced some plug-ins and had some windows open.

After closing windows and reopening Firefox, test was successful, three tries in a row.

Looks like this plugin works on 4.3Remaster.

Eathray

Monsie

Newly Discovered Video Assistance for Winded Old Junkers

#7 Post by Monsie »

Unfortunately, this plug-in appears to be incompatible with SeaMonkey even though I am running the latest version.
I have checked the useragent settings and found that SeaMonkey is running compatibility mode with Firefox by default.

If anyone knows of any work-arounds here to try this add-on for SeaMonkey, I would be most grateful.

Thanks,
Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

playdayz

#8 Post by playdayz »

Flashvideoreplacer is working for me in FF 13b. It is kind of nice--it embeds gnome-mpayler, or runs it standalone, etc. Nice clear control panel for it--you can choose how to play each video. I am going to recommend to anyone having trouble playing youtube videos.

Keef

#9 Post by Keef »

Works well on 214X with Aurora 6.0a.
This is on a Armada M700 850mhz with 576mb Ram. Youtube is always choppy on this, so this will be useful.

Monsie

#10 Post by Monsie »

Well, I tried a few file hacks in attempt to install this add-on in SeaMonkey. Although I made some progress, the installer aborted at the last moment upon detecting that my browser was indeed SeaMonkey... So, I finally gave up --at least for now.

Instead, I decided to e-mail the developer. In the event that I get a reply, I will post an update here. For those who are interested, I have attached a copy of the e-mail message that I sent.

Given that SeaMonkey shares much code with Firefox, and, in fact, runs in compatibility mode with Firefox by default, I am hopeful that the developer will be willing and able to support SeaMonkey in a future release.

Since Adobe has chosen to abandon further flash player development for the Linux based platform, this add-on might prove to be very popular in the near future, and hence, support for other browsers would be most desirable.

Monsie
Attachments
FlashVideoReplacer_e-mail.tar.gz
(741 Bytes) Downloaded 587 times
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

disciple

#11 Post by disciple »

runs in compatibility mode with Firefox by default
Really? I never heard of such a thing.
Since Adobe has chosen to abandon further flash player development for the Linux based platform, this add-on might prove to be very popular in the near future
But presumably it is only good for playing videos - i.e. it doesn't let you use interactive Flash...
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

nooby

#12 Post by nooby »

Interesting indeed.

My very naive wonder is this:

1.) Is this compatible with an installed Adobe Flash
or is it an Either Or? Either one have Adoble Flash
active and can then not use this "replacer" or one
can chose which one that are active on which file?

2. My install of Adoble Flash works for the most time
and then it suddenly stall. Usually it works again
if I shut down FF and start it up again.

So if this replacer is compatible it would come in handy
at such situations?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Monsie

#13 Post by Monsie »

disciple wrote:
runs in compatibility mode with Firefox by default
Really? I never heard of such a thing.
Since Adobe has chosen to abandon further flash player development for the Linux based platform, this add-on might prove to be very popular in the near future
But presumably it is only good for playing videos - i.e. it doesn't let you use interactive Flash...
As I indicated in my first post, this can be determined by checking the useragent settings in SeaMonkey. I have included a screenshot of SeaMonkey 2.6.1 useragent settings (default) and I find those same settings in SeaMonkey 2.9.1 also.

Monsie
Attachments
SeaMonkey-useragent.jpg
(34.14 KiB) Downloaded 1527 times

bigpup

#14 Post by bigpup »

Eathray,

Thanks for informing us about this plugin.

I would suggest changing the subject of this topic so that it identifies more clearly what it is.
Newly Discovered Video Assistance for Winded Old Junkers does not really describe, this is about a plugin for Firefox, that replaces Flash Player.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

nooby

#15 Post by nooby »

bigpup wrote:Eathray,

I would suggest changing the subject of this topic so that it identifies more clearly what it is.
Newly Discovered Video Assistance for Winded Old Junkers does not really describe, this is about a plugin for Firefox, that replaces Flash Player.
I second what bigpup suggests here. You help many more if you get
the title being indexed by search so people know it is Firefox add on
and an alternative to Adobe Flashplayer.

Keef

#16 Post by Keef »

Nah...
Leave it be. I thought it was about a self-help DVD for some of the crustier forum members.

Monsie

#17 Post by Monsie »

Hi all,

I've received a reply from the developer about future support for SeaMonkey. His response sounded positive; he said that he'll look into the possibility of including support for SeaMonkey whilst making some planned code revisions in his next release of FlashVideoReplacer 8)

For those who are interested, I am attaching our exchange of e-mail. If I get any more news from the developer, I will update this thread.

Monsie
X-Mozilla-Status: 0001 X-Mozilla-Status2: 00800000 X-Mozilla-Keys: Message-ID: <4FB1D2E2.1050701@hotmail.ca> Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 20:52:02 -0700 From: Xxxxxx Xxxxxx User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; rv:9.0.1) Gecko/20120127 Firefox/9.0.1 SeaMonkey/2.6.1 MIME-Version: 1.0 To: Yyyy Yyyyyyy Subject: Re: FlashVideoReplacer References:

Thanks very much for your quick reply.

This is great news... I appreciate that you will look into possibly providing support for SeaMonkey. :-) I will share this with the Puppy Linux community.

Xxxx Xxxxxx

Yyyy Yyyyyyy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thank you for your interest. I am planning to do major code changes for the next version FVR and I could include support for SeaMonkey. I will look into it.
>
> Cheers
>
> Caio
> http://webgapps.org
>
>
>
> On Sun, May 13, 2012, at 12:44 AM, Xxxxx Xxxxxxx wrote:
>> Hello lovinglinux,
>>
>> Your Firefox add-on is a current topic at Puppy Linux Discussion Forum. While many Puppy Linux users do run Firefox, the default browser in many versions of Puppy is SeaMonkey.
>>
>> Unfortunately, FlashVideoReplacer will not install in SeaMonkey 2.9.1 although it shares much code with Firefox and runs in compatibilty mode with Firefox by default. In fact, it is stated within the application.ini file of SeaMonkey that: "The Original Code is Mozilla Firefox".
>>
>> That said, would you be willing and able to resolve this current incompatibility in a future release of your add-on?
>>
>> Thanks for your consideration. In the event that you reply, I would like to share it with the Puppy Linux Discussion Forum.
>>
>> Sincerely,
>> Xxxxx Xxxxxxx
>> Kamloops, BC Canada
Attachments
FlashVideoReplacer_e-mail--update.tar.gz
(1.52 KiB) Downloaded 437 times

666philb

#18 Post by 666philb »

if you're using gnome-mplayer as the default media player, and have a frugal install, it's a good idea to move the hidden /root/.cache/gnome-mplayer folder onto your harddrive and then symlink it back.

this stops the cache filling up your savefile.
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

Eathray

#19 Post by Eathray »

bigpup wrote:Eathray,

Done

Eathray

nooby

#20 Post by nooby »

Thanks indeed 666philb I needed such info too.
I ran out of space when I tried to look at a Science Conference
so very good you describe this way to solve such.