Diamond - 9 May 2012

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
TLM

#41 Post by TLM »

Ok, i am able to print in Abiword from the live cd as well. Can you print from Abiword? I do not remember, but does LibreOffice have its own printer administration? if so, maybe something in there.

davec51

Printing Problem SOLVED!

#42 Post by davec51 »

I found that I could no longer print from another Linux OS on this computer (Netrunner, a derivative of Ubuntu). A copy of Windows XP on this computer, however, printed easily. I found that I had reinstalled Windows XP on the server a couple of days ago and the share name had somehow changed from "HPPrinter" to "Printer3." Changing the share name back enabled printing to operate from all my Linuxes on this computer.
The lesson here is that one should check the whole pipeline before declaring a blockage at any point.
Thanks for your attention and help.

tubeguy

wallpaper

#43 Post by tubeguy »

Attachments
diamondwall600.jpg
(90.11 KiB) Downloaded 887 times
[b]Tahr Pup 6 on desktop, Lucid 3HD on lappie[/b]

TLM

Re: wallpaper

#44 Post by TLM »

Cool!! And Thanks. I will incorporate it into the next release.

TLM

#45 Post by TLM »

Colonel Panic wrote:Hi. Just downloaded and and now posting from the new Diamond (5.2.8 ), it's another great Puppy.

Thanks for all your hard work! I think I'll still keep the old one around though for when I need a good live implementation of Libre Office without having to download it again.

Cheers,

CP .
You're welcome! Good news! A 528 version with LibreOffice will be available soon.

Colonel Panic

#46 Post by Colonel Panic »

TLM wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:Hi. Just downloaded and and now posting from the new Diamond (5.2.8 ), it's another great Puppy.

Thanks for all your hard work! I think I'll still keep the old one around though for when I need a good live implementation of Libre Office without having to download it again.

Cheers,

CP .
You're welcome! Good news! A 528 version with LibreOffice will be available soon.
It's your project, but would that be better than keeping Diamond the way it is and loading LibreOffice from an SFS file, which could also be loaded from any other Puppies which might share the partition?
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

TLM

#47 Post by TLM »

Colonel Panic wrote:
TLM wrote:

Cheers,

CP .
It's your project, but would that be better than keeping Diamond the way it is and loading LibreOffice from an SFS file, which could also be loaded from any other Puppies which might share the partition?
There will be two versions of Diamond: the first one without LibreOffice, and the 2nd one will be called Diamond_full, with LibreOffice. Other than LibreOffice and Java, the two versions will be the same and i will do my best to keep both up to date. The SFS option will still be available for those who want to use the smaller version of Diamond with an SFS. Actually as of the time of this posting, Diamond528_full is finished; i just need to get it uploaded and post a DL link. Also added Lxmenu category icons to the lx start menu in Diamond_full. Will do this to the smaller version next update as well. Diamond Slacko is doable, if i find the time :)

TLM

#48 Post by TLM »

New full version of Diamond528 available. The only thing different on the full version is LibreOffice and Java. I have disabled the Java plugin in FireFox by default. Also added icons to the lxmenu categories. See first post of the Diamond thread for all download links.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=75858

Ruff-Boy

#49 Post by Ruff-Boy »

First of all, thanks for the Diamond distro.

It's currently at the top of my list to put on my 9yr old laptop.
Working better than about 7 or 8 others that shall remain nameless.

I am using the Diamond_2_12rtp.iso version at the moment but wanted
to try the updated Diamond528_full.iso. I have downloaded it three times and each time I get an md5 hash value of:

0bc5552978c4948feb35665baa34d780

NOT

99ede5b456c65a23ff52113b83d47627

as you have stated. I'm using HashCalc.

Are your totally sure about that MD5 or am I doing something wrong?
Could someone else confirm this or is it just me?

Thanks.

TLM

#50 Post by TLM »

Ruff-Boy wrote:First of all, thanks for the Diamond distro.

It's currently at the top of my list to put on my 9yr old laptop.
Working better than about 7 or 8 others that shall remain nameless.

I am using the Diamond_2_12rtp.iso version at the moment but wanted
to try the updated Diamond528_full.iso. I have downloaded it three times and each time I get an md5 hash value of:

NOT

99ede5b456c65a23ff52113b83d47627

as you have stated. I'm using HashCalc.

Are your totally sure about that MD5 or am I doing something wrong?
Could someone else confirm this or is it just me?

Thanks.
Hello, and thank you for the feedback. I just ran GtkHash on the iso and i am getting:

which is identical to the hash you have. Sorry for the error; not sure how i got that md5 which is posted. I will correct it in the thread.

BTW i am working on an update of Diamond528_full which will be available for download within a couple of weeks. There will be many improvements: LibreOffice 3.5.2, FireFox 11, latest flashplayer, improved support for HP scanners, and quite a few more cosmetic tweaks.

TLM

#51 Post by TLM »

There was an error in the MD5 hash for Diamond528_full in the first post of this thread. I have posted the correct MD5 now. Thanks to Ruff-Boy for pointing this out. The iso is good, just had the wrong MD5 posted. Is now corrected.

hoven

#52 Post by hoven »

Just a query, I installed the small version and it continuously accesses the disk after starting. I have plenty of RAM and no swap file. Any ideas what it's trying to do?

nooby

#53 Post by nooby »

hoven wrote:Just a query, I installed the small version and it continuously accesses the disk after starting. I have plenty of RAM and no swap file. Any ideas what it's trying to do?
I got curious on what you report so I will look in htop
if it tells what is going on. I will test on a Acer Netbook D255
that have an Atom N450 I guess. 1GB RAM.

I using Diamond now the small version without Libre something.
I don't notice that it access the HD at all.
But I have not done a save file yet so could it have to do with
Adobe Flash wanting to check everything one do that have flash
on the sites we visit?

I leave you now in better hands. I where just curious.

Thanks for Diamond This time I managed to get internet
Last time I most likely used D250 instead of D255.
Maybe they have different LAN drivers.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

hoven

#54 Post by hoven »

nooby wrote:I don't notice that it access the HD at all.
But I have not done a save file yet
It is frugal install on USB drive and no save file yet. There is constant drive access after boot, on all USB drives attached. No CPU usage is showing apart from less than 1% from X itself. I've used the normal Puppy 5.28 and it doesn't do this. RAM is 2GB so should be plenty.

TLM

#55 Post by TLM »

hoven wrote:
It is frugal install on USB drive and no save file yet. There is constant drive access after boot, on all USB drives attached. No CPU usage is showing apart from less than 1% from X itself. I've used the normal Puppy 5.28 and it doesn't do this. RAM is 2GB so should be plenty.
Please clarify; is it accessing your hard drive, your USB drives, or all of them? The only thing that comes to mind right off hand is that Diamond has some Python applications, namely PPY-Mount by forum member alexandrion. PPY-Mount is a python written version of Pmount with a very simple and clean interface. It might constantly probe sata, ide and usb ports, but i would not think it would do anything until you actually launch PPY-Mount. In what manner did you observe the constant drive access? Is it your HD LED flashing, or what?

darry1966

Diamond Puppy

#56 Post by darry1966 »

Very nice. Low ram usuage haven't noticed any problems with it so far.

May well keep this one.

Nice work TLM

TLM

Re: Diamond Puppy

#57 Post by TLM »

darry1966 wrote:Very nice. Low ram usuage haven't noticed any problems with it so far.

May well keep this one.

Nice work TLM
Thank you for the encouragement. I am working on a new version which is almost complete with several new features. Just one final bug, which i think i figured out just awhile ago, but right now i have to go to work, so it will have to wait until this evening. There should be new versions available before the end of this month. Hopefully within the week. :D

nooby

#58 Post by nooby »

TLM wrote:
hoven wrote:
Please clarify; is it accessing your hard drive, your USB drives, or all of them? The only thing that comes to mind right off hand is that Diamond has some Python applications, namely PPY-Mount by forum member alexandrion. PPY-Mount is a python written version of Pmount with a very simple and clean interface. It might constantly probe sata, ide and usb ports, but i would not think it would do anything until you actually launch PPY-Mount. In what manner did you observe the constant drive access? Is it your HD LED flashing, or what?

I feel embarrassed I have not cared to answer. But I have been totally absorbed in other things and now that you have a new version going I
maybe try that one out and come back or I use other Puppies instead.

If it did only happen to me then most likely it is nothing to worry about.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

TLM

#59 Post by TLM »

New version is done. Will upload this evening, followed shortly by a new full version (with LibreOffice 353 and Java). I was hung up on a bug where the volume control in the tray (retrovol) was retaining the settings of the machine on which i created the remaster. This required reconfiguring the tray volume on PCs other than the one on which the iso was created. Fixed by editing out the slider preferences in .retrovolrc. Now retrovol should work out-of-the-box on other computers. I think this bug has probably been present in all previous Diamond releases. But now should be fixed. :D New iso late this evening.

RSH

#60 Post by RSH »

Hi,

i did have made a similar experience with retrovol a few weeks ago. Original Puppies (where i had a look into) do not have the file /root/.retrovolrc. One of my remaster has had this file and sound did not work on another pc.

Without the file /root/.retrovolrc my LazY Puppy has sound everywhere, so i check on every remaster the non-existence of /root/.retrovolrc (/tmp/root/.retrovolrc).

RSH

EDIT:

I have taken a look into your Diamond528rtp.iso and what do you think? Yes, it has the file /root/.retrovolrc. Just remove this on the next remaster!
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy[/url][/b]
[b][url=http://rshs-dna.weebly.com]RSH's DNA[/url][/b]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91422][b]SARA B.[/b][/url]