Using Puppy as primary OS

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
rmcellig

Using Puppy as primary OS

#1 Post by rmcellig »

I was just wondering if there is anyone who uses Puppy as their main OS.

At the moment I am using Zorin as my main Linux OS. It I always find a way back to Puppy. There is so much for me to love but I still have some issues that I need to resolve if I want to use it full time.

Looking forward to what you have to say. My Puppy distro of choice at the moment is lucid 5.2.8. (005). What I love about it is that the necessary icons are all on the desktop.

rokytnji

#2 Post by rokytnji »

On My Amrel RT 786 EX Laptop. I have Hot Swappable hardrives. I have one hardrive where Lighthouse 5.03 is the only primary operating system. Works good on that Laptop.
Frugal install with save. /swap partition also.

I also have a Antix 8.5 core iso install with LXDE on another hardrive as only operating system. It also works good on that laptop. Full install with a /swap partition

I run it wirelessly and have latest java and flash installed on both distros. I listen to streaming radio and watch videos to. It is only a 512MB ram Laptop but runs quite well on Puppy or AntiX.

Guess it depends on your gear and your Linux skillset and also personal tastes plus what you use your computer for on what trips your trigger.

I also run other Puppy installs on flash drives on my other computers because of the speed on slow sd cards vs a conventional Linux install to flash which lags a bit because a conventional install does not run in ram like Puppy does.

nooby

#3 Post by nooby »

I use Puppy some 99.5% or more 24/7 the 0.5% other is only to test them.
I never use them on test how they work and then go back to Puppy.
Frugal install on HD on some 5 computers. I've kept Ms Win for to be able
to upgrade smartphones once a year or so. But never boot Ms win
unless nothing else works for that smartphone
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Ray MK

#4 Post by Ray MK »

100% Puppy on my 10yr Acer old laptop and EeePc 701SD.

100% puppy on my IBM a21 ThinkPad also.

Gave the new E732 to my daughter - so no Win7 anymore.
Used Fatdog64 and Lighthouse64 plus other recent 32bit puppy's almost exclusively on that anyway.

Why bang your head against the wall trying to use stupid OS's that won't let you do what you want to do - when puppy makes it so easy.

Just my opinion - we are deeply indebted to all the puppy maestro's who make puppy's and help us so willingly, and to BK for all that he does.

Very best regards to all - Ray
Last edited by Ray MK on Wed 09 May 2012, 10:53, edited 1 time in total.
[b]Asus[/b] 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. [b]IBM A21m[/b] laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. [b]X60[/b] T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. [b]T41[/b] Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.

rmcellig

#5 Post by rmcellig »

As much as I love Puppy and I know that my issues are a result of my Puppy ignorance, there a a couple of issues I need to resolve.

I'm still reading through the Puppy Wiki to see what I can do. My issues don't I would think seem to be that hard to resolve.

1. How to add PPA's to Puppy.

2. When a new release comes out (Audacity 2.0), other distros like Ubuntu can install the new update. I'm not sure how to do this in Puppy. The only way I could figure out is to add an Audacity nightly build PPA so that I get the latest version including test versions.

Maybe there is a better easier way of doing this?

Puppy is addictive, what can I say. :)

Lupu-528.005 is my favorite as well.
Last edited by rmcellig on Tue 08 May 2012, 23:22, edited 2 times in total.

Sylvander

#6 Post by Sylvander »

A. I have SEVEN Puppies in use.
So many good Puppies I find it difficult to decide which is best.
These are my main OS's.
i.e.
1. Dpup-Squeeze-5.x.9-SCSI [ataflash]
2. Slacko-5.3.3-4g-SCSI [ataflash]
3. Lupu-528.005 [ataflash] [My number-1]
4. Boxpup-431 [Formerly my number-1, but seldom used now]
5. Wary-5.3
6. Luci-001.005 = 3-Headed-Dog [ataflash]
7. StartLPx2-001-LazYPuppy2 [ataflash]

B. I work between Puppies.
Each Puppy will have a set of Firefox windows open related to a particular topic of investigation.

C. Also have Win2000Pro, but only use that very infrequently for certain stuff.
e.g. Family Tree, fetching and storing emails that remain after being viewed, dealt with, and junk deleted using SMM in Puppy.

RSH

#7 Post by RSH »

I was just wondering if there is anyone who uses Puppy as their main OS.
The day i started to work on LazY Puppy was the day i did use it as my daily OS. I have joined the forum on Sept. 5th 2011 and did work almost every day on LazY Puppy since then.

Currently i am running the new LazY Puppy 2.0.1, which makes a big step forward again from LazY Puppy 2 and which i will be able to upload hopefully on 11th of May 2012 including all new files.

I did use Windows only on testing the LazY Puppy WinInstaller for the last eight months. But i do have the need to use Windows (XP) from time to time (making Drum-Videos), because my Video Equipment is not able to use in Puppy or any other linux OS's (Pinnacle Video Studio).

Actually i am really happy to have the LazY Puppy and it surely will be my favorite OS as long as i do have computers where it runs on. :D

Thanks to BK for this amazing concept and to all forum members for help and hints.
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy[/url][/b]
[b][url=http://rshs-dna.weebly.com]RSH's DNA[/url][/b]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91422][b]SARA B.[/b][/url]

tallboy

#8 Post by tallboy »

I have Debian as my main distro for heavy work, or so I thought; last time I booted my deb, it complained that the box had been started 163 times without fschk being performed, so I really don't know what to say...I usually use my live-CD dpup4848-beta4, I guess it is now promoted to No.1!

tallboy

rokytnji

#9 Post by rokytnji »

1. How to add PPA's to Puppy.
I got out of trying to make puppy work like Ubuntu. Instead. I started thinking like a Slackware or Crux user on my Puppy Installs. Just change what is needed without a shotgun approach.

I realize that some users can't operate Puppy Linux this way. So good luck with the PPAs.

rmcellig

#10 Post by rmcellig »

So with Puppy it is best to adopt a think different attitude? That's what I love about l love about Linux. So many options. Is there a guide on how to add PPA's to Puppy?

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#11 Post by Lobster »

I am always interested in what people use. At the moment I am using the voice recognition on the ipad. I have been using Debian, on the Raspberry pi. I even used arch, for a brief while again on the Raspberry pi.

Puppy 5.3.3 is rock solid slackwarian and is my main OS.

8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Smithy

#12 Post by Smithy »

Currently using Three Headed Dog, and it would become my primary OS if I could use all the facilities of the ATI All in Wonder 9200 Radeon. Video input, capture, edit.

And the odd game of Medal of Honor, Operation Flashpoint etc. Not sure how to get that stuff going with Wine. Just these basic things that windows does well.
And Wine does integrate very nicely with Puppy.

Some kind of flushing of the ram would be good, a button with a picture of a toilet!

Because occasionally some software gets "stuck" so emergency flush would be cool.
Not explored cups yet, but I guess that will be a no brainer.

Apart from that, Puppy Linux just sits there, quietly, confident, no hard drive accessing, no software asking if you want to update, no pinging, it appears to be a thinking man's (or woman's) software. And it shuts down like lightning!

rokytnji

#13 Post by rokytnji »

rmcellig wrote:So with Puppy it is best to adopt a think different attitude? That's what I love about l love about Linux. So many options. Is there a guide on how to add PPA's to Puppy?
Quote from playdayz
Open PPM and choose Configure. Then choose to update the databases. It will take a while to change the ubuntu databases to Puppy format. Also put tick marks in the 3 ubuntu repos. Then when it si all done, close and restart PPM and search for wine. Click the results and PPM will show you some info, click Examine Dependencies and it will show you what it thinks also needs to be installed. You can download those or install them directly.

Oh, you don't want the Ubuntu wine, which is wine 1.0. You want the latest from wine. I see I think. Hmm. Lucid Puppy does not use Ubuntu apt or synaptics. We believe there are good reasons for that, since Puppy is not Ubuntu only half or so in the Ubuntu repos will install directly and work correctly--less for complicated programs with many dependencies. In Lucid puppy the Ubuntu repos are for the experimenters. It is possible to add a repo, and I think PPM could handle converting the new repo to Puppy standards.--for that check the Help under Configure in PPM.
from thread

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=57786

Barkin

#14 Post by Barkin »

Smithy wrote:Some kind of flushing of the ram would be good, a button with a picture of a toilet!
Attachments
flush-toilet-icon-48.png
(3.24 KiB) Downloaded 1760 times

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#15 Post by Lobster »

We could save the flush down the pan icon for removing WIndows? :)
[must remember not to be heartless to the hordes of Bill Gate refugees]

When I first started using Linux (I had used Windows), I thought it was a plaything not really a full time or complete OS. When people stated they used Linux exclusively, I thought they were lying or unable to do anything worthwhile.

For many years, I kept Windows on my system. Just used it less and less, or more likely set it up and found it too slow, compromised or increasingly complicating.

It always seems ludicrous that we have ever more powerful hardware and yet our software struggles to run at speeds that reflect that hardwares capabilities.

The release versions of Puppy are very honed, some use excellent binary compilations, an increasing variety of Puppy scripts and include some great top end programs.

I will continue to use Android on my phone or try the latest Linux that promises some new interest.

Puppy is the most fun when you learn new skills. What fun to take ye olde dust trap clunker PC and make it useful. 8)

Puppy is an operating system. It operates well.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Eyes-Only

#16 Post by Eyes-Only »

Puppy has been my sole operating system since around version 1.0.2 starting with Grafpup - and approximately a year before officially joining this forum. ( I tend to lurk around a forum for a year or more before joining. ;) )

Before Puppy I was using a mix of Windows 98se and AstonShell - a desktop environment created for Windows which, when selected, "puts Windows to sleep" and then itself runs upon the Windows .dll files, sort of a "mini-OS" in and of itself and nothing like LiteSTEP and other shells made to operate upon Windows in place of the Explorer.exe.

Before that I used a pre-alpha version of what later became known as Windows 95 - a friend of a friend was an alpha/beta tester/programmer for Redmond who used to "lose" his disks. ;) And before that - and for years at that - I was an Apple IIe user. I guess I really date myself here? Although I know Sage ( amongst a few others here ) have been using computers, and coding, for far longer than I. LOL!

Still... in all of my 26+ years of using computers I've found nothing with the beauty, inside and out, of Puppy!

My default is 3 Headed Dog while my wife and grand-kiddos use Lucid-Pup 528.005 and love it immensely.

Cheers/Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge d'Acadie"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

tubeguy

#17 Post by tubeguy »

At home I'm on Puppy 90% of the time, sometimes I have to use Windows for Photoshop and Dreamweaver, and I do remote support for friends and family with CrossLoop. I suppose I could fart around with Wine but I have several machines and it's just easier to use a KVM and have a separate Windows box.

At work I am on Windows all the time. :roll:
[b]Tahr Pup 6 on desktop, Lucid 3HD on lappie[/b]

dk60902

#18 Post by dk60902 »

Depends on my computer. I have 6 different computers that I use.

For my old HP a800n, Puppy 5.2.8 (frugal install) is my primary OS. I tend to use this computer the most among my home computers because it's the most fun. I picked it up off of Craigslist for $35 and had to put in a hard drive. This is also my test box. This computer is setup for multiple boot, with WinXP, several puppies and Ubuntu 12.04. WinXP doesn't run as quickly for web surfing (especially Chrome browser), and Ubuntu is still buggy. Puppy runs like a dream surfing the internet. For the internet, no other OS is as fast. Puppy is the most fun and rewarding. I love how easy and quick it is to install. I like how Puppy runs off of RAM, and the Hard Drive rarely spins. Bootup and shutdown is very quick. If I mess something up, it's easy to delete my save file, and replace it with my backup.

My piece of shit work computer struggles on WinXP, but runs fairly well on Puppy. I have to hit ctrl-alt-backspace a couple times during the day when it freezes up on Puppy 5.2.5.

There are a few issues though. It doesn't support multiple monitors, as far as I know. I can't get wireless printing. It may be possible, but so far I haven't figured it out. I use Vista, Win7, Ubuntu 12.04 and MacOSX 10.6.8, and with these other OS's, it was easy to setup wireless printer support. I don't do a lot of printing, so it's not that big of a deal. I also cannot get Google Chrome, Chromium, Iron to install on 5.2.8. USB wireless support can be a little frustrating, but I do have a wireless USB dongle that is plug and play. I purchased a different wireless USB which has linux driver's on the manufacturer website. However, as a novice Linux user, I haven't been able to figure out how to get it to install/work. It would be cool for Puppy to have a suspend or sleep mode. Maybe there is, but I don't know how to set it up.

rcrsn51

#19 Post by rcrsn51 »

dk60902 wrote:I can't get wireless printing. It may be possible, but so far I haven't figured it out. I use Vista, Win7, Ubuntu 12.04 and MacOSX 10.6.8, and with these other OS's, it was easy to setup wireless printer support. I don't do a lot of printing, so it's not that big of a deal. .
Why not post a request in the Printers section.

dk60902

#20 Post by dk60902 »

rcrsn51 wrote:
dk60902 wrote:I can't get wireless printing. It may be possible, but so far I haven't figured it out. I use Vista, Win7, Ubuntu 12.04 and MacOSX 10.6.8, and with these other OS's, it was easy to setup wireless printer support. I don't do a lot of printing, so it's not that big of a deal. .
Why not post a request in the Printers section.
Because if I need to print something, I'll use another computer. As I said, I don't do a lot of printing, so it's not a major issue.