Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 21 Dec 2014, 12:42
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Eye Candy
Conky With Lua
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 3 of 6 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
alwaysalonee

PostPosted: Wed 09 May 2012, 09:58    Post_subject:  

yes jwm also gives black screen ..
before a while when i mount my usb it used to be green dot on icon but now it gives red dot on usb drive icon , is it a problem ?
i am gonna reinstall puppy and try again , i hope XFCE will load fine then
battleshooter

PostPosted: Wed 09 May 2012, 18:52    Post_subject:  

alwaysalonee wrote:
yes jwm also gives black screen ..
before a while when i mount my usb it used to be green dot on icon but now it gives red dot on usb drive icon , is it a problem ?
i am gonna reinstall puppy and try again , i hope XFCE will load fine then

Yes, if you reinstall Puppy, XFCE should work again. If you enable compositing in XFCE, you shouldn't need to go through any of the steps except for installing the basic pets:

conky-1.8.1.pet
liblua5.1-0_5.1.4-5_i386.deb
libiconv-1.14.pet

and then just starting up a Conky theme normally. Be warned that the default Conky theme does have a black box around it so don't be fooled by it into thinking your Conky setup isn't working, test with a different theme.

alwaysalonee

PostPosted: Thu 10 May 2012, 08:09    Post_subject:  

after installing, it works well on xfce and openbox. in openbox it takes some seconds to completely vanish black screen but it's ok coz finally it's working Smile
battleshooter

PostPosted: Fri 11 May 2012, 05:00    Post_subject:  

alwaysalonee wrote:
after installing, it works well on xfce and openbox. in openbox it takes some seconds to completely vanish black screen but it's ok coz finally it's working Smile

Very glad to hear that! So just to clarify, you reinstalled, didn't mess with the .xinitrc file and now there's no black box around Conky? If yes, great! Good job for sticking with it Smile

alwaysalonee

PostPosted: Sun 13 May 2012, 04:45    Post_subject:  

Edited_time_total
alwaysalonee

PostPosted: Sun 13 May 2012, 04:47    Post_subject:  

conky stopped working again, same problem Sad

Quote:
alternatively, with conky enabled, use nathan's wallpaper setter and change the wp image.
See if transparency appears (which is what the
feh --bg-scale $IMAGE
cp -f $IMAGE /root/.background
code in the file /usr/local/apps/Wallpaper/set_bg does).

this is not working ...

Quote:
aa, if the black window is persistent, check the position of
feh --bg-scale /root/.background in /root/.xinitrc .
the code line: rox -p /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin appears at least twice (i remember they reside in an if - else statement), so try to place it before the other instance. (this is what i was doing wrong the first time around).

jd can you make above more clear please , how to do it and what is that ?
battleshooter

PostPosted: Sun 13 May 2012, 06:05    Post_subject:  

Whoa, slow down alwaysalonee, because you're running XFCE the steps listed earlier may not apply to your situation.

Can you please run this in a terminal a copy and paste the result?

Code:
xfconf-query -c xfwm4 -p /general/use_compositing

This will tell whether you have compositing enabled, if you do, we need to take a different route to get Conky working.

Do you have any idea what could have caused Conky to stop working again?

alwaysalonee

PostPosted: Sun 13 May 2012, 12:24    Post_subject:  

no i am not running xfce + compiz for regular use now i made it's lupusave file separatly so i can load it only when i wanna play with compiz
i am running openbox for regular use and in it conky stopped working
battleshooter

PostPosted: Mon 14 May 2012, 02:01    Post_subject:  

alwaysalonee wrote:
no i am not running xfce + compiz for regular use now i made it's lupusave file separatly so i can load it only when i wanna play with compiz
i am running openbox for regular use and in it conky stopped working

Ahhh, I understand now, it's an OpenBox desktop that you're trying to run Conky on. How did you originally setup Conky in the OpenBox desktop? Did you follow the instructions from the first post, or did Conky just work?

alwaysalonee

PostPosted: Mon 14 May 2012, 02:44    Post_subject:  

i installed all .pets from the 1st post and from desktop->conky switcher i get it working but with Black Screen
i dled conky normal switcher my screen res is 1360*768 , conky wide swithcer also didnt work , black screen ..
battleshooter

PostPosted: Mon 14 May 2012, 03:30    Post_subject:  

Yup, ok, that's good, now I know where you're at.

Have a look at this image, I've put the line feh --bg-scale /root/.background in a different place just in case it is bothering your OpenBox setup. Place the line feh --bg-scale /root/.background in the same place as the picture and you should be fine, no crashing of window managers.

Then just edit /usr/local/apps/Wallpaper/set_bg and run Nathan's wallpaper again as stated before and your Conky should be fixed up.
example.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   44.46 KB
 Viewed   1236 Time(s)

example.jpg

alwaysalonee

PostPosted: Mon 14 May 2012, 12:32    Post_subject:  

thanks battleshooter Smile
it did the trick , not working with 2-3 conky themes tho but i dont want them either so it's ok
battleshooter

PostPosted: Mon 14 May 2012, 20:07    Post_subject:  

Great! Glad that worked. If some themes are still displaying black around them, it would be because they are set up for real transparencies rather than the pseudo transparency we are using. Jemimah's themes for Saluki are set up like that and so are many other themes found around the internet. It can be easily tweaked to work correctly though, by editing the conkyrc file.
jaydee

PostPosted: Tue 15 May 2012, 07:38    Post_subject:  

glad to see aa's(and i suspect others) issue with transparency in openbox was resolved, thanks to battleshooter.

First off, im on lupu 528 ver. 005 with openbox as wm. i had set up conky working , then i uninstalled/moved/edited something and the transparency started acting up. As i was testing the settings, i got to the point where i had uninstalled feh, running only
conky-1.8.1.pet
liblua5.1-0_5.1.4-5_i386.deb
libiconv-1.14.pet
and relying on the
Code:
own_window_transparent yes
rule in the conkyrc file for transparency effect. with that setup i observed the following:
when x server initiated (either on normal startup or when restarting x ) the black background on the window was present for a time (maybe about 2-5 mins) , then transparency set in. Weirdly, transparency would be applied near instantly if and when i opened the conkyrc file in geany.
Transparency would also be applied if , while conky was running, i opened nathan's background setter and changed backgrounds.
Now, the first case baffles me, but in the case of the background change, i suspect that when x redraws the background ,the own_window_transparent rule in conkyrc is triggered and applied.
If that is in fact the case, getting conky to load on x startup before the background is set , could we achieve transparency in conky lua without the services of feh? Does that make any sense?
Now, i 'd rather give a working fix that an assumption, but i don't have the first idea on how x loads and initiates the relevant scripts, so any insight would be appreciated.

We obviously already have a working fix for conky-lua-feh, as documented in this thread, so this is probably nitpicking. it just seems that with some fiddling, openbox can probably do "real" transparency, at least for conky purposes.
that's it. I apologize for the length of the post.
Thanks in advance for any feedback.
battleshooter

PostPosted: Wed 16 May 2012, 03:39    Post_subject:  

Interesting post jaydee. No need to apologize for its length. Detailed feedback is nice Smile

I don't use OpenBox so I'm not as familiar with it as Fluxbox, but a quick Google around seems to indicate OpenBox may have some kind of composite manager to draw it's own transparencies.

jaydee wrote:
If that is in fact the case, getting conky to load on x startup before the background is set ,

I don't think that will work. An alternative solution would be to find out what command is triggering the transparency, and then to place it in .xinitrc to start each time X is called.

What OpenBox package are you using? Just the one from the repo? I might just fire up OpenBox and see if I can work it out, and maybe stick up some different steps for OpenBox users. I'm not really fond of the feh method, it seems, messy.

Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 3 of 6 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Eye Candy
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum