Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 20 Dec 2014, 09:00
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Utilities
kindle and wine-1.3.13-lucid52
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]  
linuxhippy

PostPosted: Tue 15 May 2012, 12:19    Post subject:  kindle and wine-1.3.13-lucid52  

I just did a full install of Puppy Lucid 5.28 on my Asus 4G Surf. My mini-netbook has 2 GB of RAM and thanks to puppy is real fast. I like to read library books using the Kindle for pc software. I've found in other Linux distros that the Kindle software for windows will install with Wine 1.3.

I installed the wine-1.3.13-lucid52 pet and then used wine KindleForPC-installer.exe and it installed the software fine. The problem is that it won't register with the Amazon Kindle service to get my copyrighted books. I thought it was a firewall problem, so I removed my firewall and rebooted but am not able to register still.

I did figure out how to open up the kindle.exe file with wine using a little script. Just copy & paste this with an editor:

env WINEPREFIX="/root/.wine" wine C:\\Program\ Files\\Amazon\\Kindle\\Kindle.exe

save as kindle.sh and then make it executable:

chmod a+x kindle.sh

run it like this:

./kindle.sh

But without registering this program won't even open the included free books. Does anybody know how to register the Kindle software inside Puppy (it does work in Ubuntu Linux)?

ndujoe1

PostPosted: Wed 16 May 2012, 13:09    Post subject: Kindle Reader  

Here is my lazy man's version of reading Amazon digital content on my computers.

I have puppy 5.25 Installed Seamonkey 2.4 which supports the html 5 coder for

read.amazon.com. Since into you account and you are good to go.
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Utilities
Jump to: