kindle and wine-1.3.13-lucid52

Miscellaneous tools
linuxhippy

kindle and wine-1.3.13-lucid52

#1 Post by linuxhippy »

I just did a full install of Puppy Lucid 5.28 on my Asus 4G Surf. My mini-netbook has 2 GB of RAM and thanks to puppy is real fast. I like to read library books using the Kindle for pc software. I've found in other Linux distros that the Kindle software for windows will install with Wine 1.3.

I installed the wine-1.3.13-lucid52 pet and then used wine KindleForPC-installer.exe and it installed the software fine. The problem is that it won't register with the Amazon Kindle service to get my copyrighted books. I thought it was a firewall problem, so I removed my firewall and rebooted but am not able to register still.

I did figure out how to open up the kindle.exe file with wine using a little script. Just copy & paste this with an editor:

env WINEPREFIX="/root/.wine" wine C:\\Program\ Files\\Amazon\\Kindle\\Kindle.exe

save as kindle.sh and then make it executable:

chmod a+x kindle.sh

run it like this:

./kindle.sh

But without registering this program won't even open the included free books. Does anybody know how to register the Kindle software inside Puppy (it does work in Ubuntu Linux)?
Marty

ndujoe1

Kindle Reader

#2 Post by ndujoe1 »

Here is my lazy man's version of reading Amazon digital content on my computers.

I have puppy 5.25 Installed Seamonkey 2.4 which supports the html 5 coder for

read.amazon.com. Since into you account and you are good to go.