Upup Precise 5.3.3.3 with kernel 3.3.2

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
jim3630

#341 Post by jim3630 »

Richard, et al.,

into the fire one more time pfix=ram installed experiment 3 rebooted creating a save file. wl recognized on eth0 tried sns unable to make connection. tried connection wizard and failed, pmodemdiag run. rebooted sns and connection wizard fails again even though wl recognized pmodemdiag run again, blacklisted wl for fun and rebooted, brcmsmac recognized by sns but failed, connection wizard made the connection finally.

i have reported sns and connection wizard failures many times including 528 developement and iirc it was you who got sns and connection wizard working in 528.

whoever are the maintainers of sns and connection wizard clearly have no interest in doings so. McDougle i think is dead and well...sns and connection wizard are pos.

both sns and connection wizard could be deleted from puppy as frisbee works most of the time for most of the people and on the rare occasion heard it did not work was due to interference by sns and connection wizard. that is why i used frisbee exclusively. frisbee will detect wifi point and make the connection without rebooting.

at one time frisbee required a save file first rebooting before would reliable make the connection. again think that was sns and connection wizard interference.

will keep rebooting today looking for persistence and report if goes amiss. thanks jim

jim3630

#342 Post by jim3630 »

Richard,

sent more pmodemdiag since connection wizard not persistent after one reboot. reran sns and it failed to connect even recognized brcmsmac. connection wizard like wise failed even after manually inputting my ip info.

ran frisbee which recognized wan0 and my connection particulars but did not make a connection. rebooted connection made by frisbee which did persist after a reboot.

zekebaby

Re: Expanded Broadcom wifi support - continued

#343 Post by zekebaby »

rerwin wrote:After a week essentially away from puppy and then some false starts and dead ends, I now have a more solid Broadcom wifi experimental package. In addition to attempting to resolve the issues I described last time,
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but this one did not work on the Dell D430. Started with a clean boot, installed #3, and on 4 subsequent reboots, only the wl module is loaded (no b43 like the last time) and Frisbee doesn't see wlan0. I will PM you the pmodemdiag.

sszindian

Network Problem!

#344 Post by sszindian »

Using 'Internet Connection Wizard' (NOT Frisbee)

rebooted with wireless plugged in and configured in previous session which was a pfix=ram install... wlan0 did NOT connect.

Going into Internet Connection Wizard again, selecting 'Configure Wireless Network' it shows in 'Select A Profile To Load' my previous saved file- belkin.81e After loading and selecting 'Use This Profile' wlan0 then makes a wireless connection and seems to run just fine... but... it won't connect on a fresh reboot.

The reaction with OR without your 'Experimental.pet' installed is exactly the same.

No eth0 configuration was tried!

Using: linksys AE1000
Router: Belkin 300
Config: rt2800usb

Hope this helps?

It would be nice to get the Network Connection working properly as Precise is an unusually nice operating program without any issues (at least that I could find) in any other areas, they all just function great! Sure hope you post a 'fix' here if you find one.

>>>---Indian--->
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

rerwin

#345 Post by rerwin »

sszindian,
Thanks for posting your experience. Although my effort focuses on the Broadcom wifi situation, your report of issues with another device (rt2800usb) suggests that the problems jim3630 is having may not be entirely of my making.

Even though I got into the Broadcom game to apply what (I think) I know about firmware "tarballs", initialization scripts, configuration files and module loading to manage the various Broadcom drivers, I am not very knowledgeable about the workings of wifi connections. I don't have a wireless test network, only an old Broadcom wifi device (14e4:4320). I do not want to raise expectations unreasonably about my ability to solve all wifi problems. I need the help of anyone with better knowledge of the area.

I think we need Barry or Dougal or Micko or tempestuous to weigh in on the reconnection issue.
Richard

BarryK
Puppy Master

#346 Post by BarryK »

I have addressed many of the issues posted about in this forum thread, applied them to Woof. See blog thread:

http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02839

And, Precise Puppy alpha3 is now out:

http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02842
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

Terryphi

#347 Post by Terryphi »

Thanks, Barry. Everything tested so far is running well for me. I took your advice and kept away for PPM for now.
[b]Classic Opera 12.16 browser SFS package[/b] for Precise, Slacko, Racy, Wary, Lucid, etc available[url=http://terryphillips.org.uk/operasfs.htm]here[/url] :)

mrokosz

Compression method

#348 Post by mrokosz »

Barry,
Thanks for the distro, works great, but I am using on really slow computer P3 500MHz 256MB RAM frugal installation, so the software is not as responsive as with with the little bigger but faster for old computers distro version, I am talking about version around 169 MB size of the iso. If there is no problem I prefer to use sfs with smaller compression ratio, it just works faster

mrokosz
P.S. Everything works great, Pemasu package problems not there any more. I guess it will replace Pemasu distro

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Compression method

#349 Post by BarryK »

mrokosz wrote:P.S. Everything works great, Pemasu package problems not there any more. I guess it will replace Pemasu distro
Pemasu is a bit busy right now, see earlier post this Forum thread. But, he is a Puppy addict like the rest of us, and will be back to do another build from latest Woof -- so, whatever development we do with alpha3 will be going into Woof, and pemasu will pick up from there, the very latest. I mean, nothing will be lost here, it is all cumulative.

rerwin

Broadcom wifi driver management experiments

#350 Post by rerwin »

jim3630, peebee, pemasu, Broadcom 43xx users,
I have attached my refined experimental package to select and load the appropriate Broadcom wifi driver for each variant of the 43xx devices -- b43, b43legacy, brcmsmac, wl, wl (older version). It is also intended to support b44 ethernet devices even with the wl loaded; but I cannot, myself, verify that that would be successful.

The logic ensures that only the wl driver is loaded even if a device is also supported by b43 or brcmsmac. As before, to avoid using the (default) wl driver, simply blacklist it in the BootManager. Also as before, if the wl driver cannot handle a device (device not detected), it will be automatically blacklisted so that another driver gets loaded at the next boot-up. (You can un-blacklist it in the BootManager.)

If you experience a problem with the main experiment-4 package, you can instead use either the 4a or 4b packages to ensure that only wl or brcmsmac (respectively) are available for use. That is to eliminate any influence by the main-package logic or the other drivers.

Note that brcmsmac cannot be used on an adhoc network, so please avoid doing that. Please send me a pmodemdiag file if you encounter a problem with these packages.

Note also that jim3630 has more success using frisbee as the network interface for his brcmsmac-using device. But I hope to also have SNS and the network wizard work with the newer (wl, brcmsmac) drivers, but need the expertise of those more familiar with the workings of wifi connection.

Thanks for any feedback you can provide.
Richard

UPDATE 6/15/2012: The "5delta" package is added to address the cases where the proprietary driver fails for some (BCM4312 - hardware ID 14e4:4312) models that can also use the open-source driver. In experiment-4, a reboot was necessary to get the open-source driver to take over. The new package makes the substitution during the first boot-up after its installation. Although the logic appears to function as intended, it must be tried with the target device installed, to verify whether the substitution is truly effective and allows immediate connection. Please send me a pmodemdiag file if you can run the test. You should see driver b43 used, instead of no detection during first boot-up. TIA.

UPDATE 7/13/2012: The "5-6delta" package is added for minor mods and to move the b43 firmware files from the b43 "tarball"/directory into /lib/firmware/b43, to avoid a shutdown hang related to the absence of the firmware during the first boot-up. With that change, the module is successfully changed from wl to b43 if wl fails, all during the first boot-up. This was verified with dpup-exprimo.

UPDATE 7/14/2012: Re-uploaded "5-6delta" after download number 6, to remove the moving of b43 firmware during the installation and to add a test so that the b43 driver is not loaded if the firmware is not in /lib/firmware (ready for use). This prevents the b43-firmware-related shutdown hang if the firmware is not ready, making the implementation safe no matter where the b43 firmware is.
Richard
Attachments
precise_broadcom_experiment-5-6delta.pet
Additional refinement to experiment-4 and 5delta, to switch driver wl to b43 during first boot-up.
Applies to BCM4312 wifi device (which may be named BCM4311).
No firmware relocation, but switches drivers immediately only if b43 firmware is ready.
(2.16 KiB) Downloaded 553 times
precise_broadcom_experiment-5delta.pet
Addition to experiment-4, to switch driver wl to b43 during first boot-up.
Applies to BCM4312 wifi device (which may be named BCM4311).
(2.9 KiB) Downloaded 558 times
precise_broadcom_experiment-4a-wl_only.pet
(3.39 KiB) Downloaded 607 times
Last edited by rerwin on Sat 14 Jul 2012, 16:16, edited 5 times in total.

peebee

Re: Broadcom wifi driver management experiments

#351 Post by peebee »

rerwin wrote:Thanks for any feedback you can provide.
Richard
Hi Richard

Experiment 4 works as expected on my HP550 laptop.

Pristine, frugal install - loaded Exp4 pet - rebooted.

wl driver loaded and in use - wpa connection established with Frisbee.

Survived reboot

Blacklisted wl - rebooted - b43 loaded and in use and Frisbee established a connection automatically

Blacklisted b43 - rebooted - no wifi loaded

Unblacklisted both b43 and wl - rebooted - wl back in use

Cheers
Peter

p.s. notice that BK has now compiled kernel 3.2.18 under Precise Alpha 3 with I have enabled the brcm network drivers
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

BarryK
Puppy Master

#352 Post by BarryK »

Precise Puppy 5.2.58 (beta1) is out:

http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02856

Note, it has the brcm and wl modules, but doesn't have any of the resolution logic that you guys have been working out with rerwin.

peebee

#353 Post by peebee »

BarryK wrote:Precise Puppy 5.2.58 (beta1) is out:

Note, it has the brcm and wl modules, but doesn't have any of the resolution logic that you guys have been working out with rerwin.
Hi Barry

Don't think wl.ko is in the iso.....

I've compiled and uploaded a multi-kernel version:
which includes Precise 5.2.58 k3.2.18

This includes the latest rerwin logic.

Cheers
peebee
Last edited by peebee on Sun 03 Jun 2012, 22:59, edited 2 times in total.
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

BarryK
Puppy Master

#354 Post by BarryK »

peebee wrote:
BarryK wrote:Precise Puppy 5.2.58 (beta1) is out:

Hi Barry

Don't think wl.ko is in the iso.....

I've compiled and uploaded a compatible version:
Precise 5.2.58 k3.2.18 Upload 0306120920 [wlan0]

This includes the latest rerwin logic.
Oh, yes of course. Thanks for the PET.

Why is the module in /opt? Why can't it be inside /lib/modules/3.2.18?

tronkel

ATI fglrx hack

#355 Post by tronkel »

Just been playing with the latest Precise Beta 5.2.38 released earlier today. Another li'l beaut. Like its Upup predecessors nice and snappy!

Just as with Ubuntu Precise Pangolin itself the ATI video card causes grief - nothing new here. With ATI graphics under Linux you have two choices. Either install the open source Radeon driver or the proprietary FGLRX driver. The current Radeon open source driver has been broken in recent kernel versions - so that just leaves the proprietary option.

You need to have both the devx and the kernel sources activated on your system. The bad news is that it does build - but with errors that result in an extremely slow frame rate performance.

The better news is that there is a tiny hack available that seems to work around the problem - see here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=77735

It has rescued me on more than one occasion. So thanks for the tip - well worth a try if you're experiencing this sort of problem with ATI.

This is ilewis's first forum post actually.
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

peebee

#356 Post by peebee »

BarryK wrote:Why is the module in /opt? Why can't it be inside /lib/modules/3.2.18?
It enables me to build multi kernel versions for puppies like slacko which come with 2 kernel flavours - and I like to keep the same template for all puppies I am supporting. The pinstall hard links the wl.ko to the correct version for the kernel.

shinobar uses a similar but I think less elegant technique for his nvidia sfs's which also support multi kernels but you end up with lots of surplus /lib/modules/ kernel specific directories.

If there is a better way to support multi-kernels with one pet when the drivers are kernel dependent then I'm ready and eager to learn.

[Later edit] - I have now extended the technique to make a single mutli-kernel version of the driver - this uses a base-driver and xdelta3 delta files to create the kernel specific drivers at install time. See here[/edit]

Cheers
peebee
Last edited by peebee on Sun 03 Jun 2012, 23:06, edited 2 times in total.

rjbrewer

#357 Post by rjbrewer »

A non-pae version with i810 xorg drivers would be
nice to try.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

rerwin

Re: Broadcom wifi driver management experiments

#358 Post by rerwin »

I just now discovered a minor bug in the experiment-4 package that modifies the firmware.dep file incorrectly, affecting 2 entries for Broadcom wifi and ethernet. I have re-uploaded experiment-4 with the correction to the relevant edit command.

To the first 6 downloaders: If you need the corrected package, please re-download the replaced copy of the experment-4 pet package, from here.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 889#630889

The bug should not affect you unless your Broadcom device uses either of the b43legacy or b44 drivers. To correct the problem directly, please edit /etc/modules/firmware.dep.<kernel version>. The incorrect entries are

Code: Select all

b43legacy
b44:b44.ko:b43legacy.ko
But should be

Code: Select all

b43legacy:b43legacy.ko
b44:b44.ko
Sorry for letting that slip through.
Richard

rerwin

Broadcom driver management code updated to experiment 6

#359 Post by rerwin »

I have added minor mods to the set of packages to automate the selection of the appropriate Broadcom wifi driver, "experiment-5-6delta" above:

Just be sure that you have installed experiment-4, then 5delta, then 5-6delta. I am using multiple deltas because pemasu has been including each level in various exprimo versions. You need install only those of these packages not already installed.

We discovered that the b43 firmware needs to be in place in /lib/firmware before the first boot-up of a puppy. Otherwise, the driver failure due to the absence of the firmware seems to result in a serious hang during shutdown. If you have a Broadcom 4312 (aka, 4311) wifi device that produces a failure message (in dmesg), try making a remaster of a fresh puppy plus packages -4, -5delta and -5-6delta, to see the benefit of its connecting on the first boot-up.
Richard

lassie

Re: Broadcom driver management code updated to experiment 6

#360 Post by lassie »

rerwin wrote:I have added minor mods to the set of packages to automate the selection of the appropriate Broadcom wifi driver, "experiment-5-6delta" above:
I will try this with my BCM4311, great that you try to automate the setup :-)

I have tried to get this chip working wireless for months now. Sometimes it is okay even for a couple of reboots, but most of the times the card isn't found at all when checking with 'lspci'.

What I have found out is what you wrote:
1). The card needs to be detected, probably with 'broadcom_wl-K3.1.10-slacko_4gA' and 'ssb' in the ADDLIST. But that only works sometimes (and I don't understand when the success happends)
2). When the card is detected, 'wl' has to be removed and instead 'b43' has to be activated (with 'modprobe')
3). Then I see the wireless networks and are able to connect.

Now I will try your package!