Fatdog64-600 alpha2

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Jim1911

#41 Post by Jim1911 »

jamesbond wrote:
Jim1911 wrote:
jamesbond wrote:Thanks Jim, so it's blkid that is slow. Is there any time difference running this:

Code: Select all

busybox blkid
(busybox's version of blkid)?
This code executed immediately.
Odd, in my machine it is a tad slower. Busybox blkid does not return volume labels. Anyway, how does this one fare?

ls /sys/class/block | grep -vE "^loop|^ram|^nbd|^sr" | xargs -I '{}' disktype /dev/'{}'
It reads the content of /sys/class/block and tries to decipher what's inside, just like blkid, but it uses different tool. See if this is faster than the original blkid?
This code executed in about 2 min and includes much more information.

On another matter, xfe, installed with the Package Manager, give an error:
  • # xfe
    xfe: error while loading shared libraries: libGL.so.1: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32
Last edited by Jim1911 on Sat 19 May 2012, 03:39, edited 1 time in total.

jamesbond

Re: BibleTime version 2.9.1

#42 Post by jamesbond »

Jim1911 wrote:BibleTime version 2.9.1 is now available. I did install the older BibleTime version 2.8.1, which works fine in Fatdog64-600. Hopefully, the newer version will be in your great new "Fatdog64 Package Manager" when it reaches final release.

Incidently, a minor edit is needed in /usr/share/applications/bibletime.desktop so that the proper icon shows up. Change Icon line to:

Icon=/usr/share/bibletime/icons/bibletime.png
Thanks for this superb Fatdog64-600,
Jim
Happy to do so; do you have a pet or do I have to compile this from source?
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Jim1911

#43 Post by Jim1911 »

jamesbond wrote:
Jim1911 wrote:BibleTime version 2.9.1 is now available. I did install the older BibleTime version 2.8.1, which works fine in Fatdog64-600. Hopefully, the newer version will be in your great new "Fatdog64 Package Manager" when it reaches final release.

Incidently, a minor edit is needed in /usr/share/applications/bibletime.desktop so that the proper icon shows up. Change Icon line to:

Icon=/usr/share/bibletime/icons/bibletime.png
Thanks for this superb Fatdog64-600,
Jim
Happy to do so; do you have a pet or do I have to compile this from source?
Kirk prepared version 2.8.1 for Fatdog64-521 and it's in your repository along with the dependencies. I think the dependencies may be OK, just Bibletime needs update. Other than Kirk's version, the later versions available are 32 bit, 01micko prepared 2.9.1 for Slacko, pemasu and jerimah also have version 2.9.1 for their distributions. I have copies of all of these.

Thanks,
Jim

sebus

#44 Post by sebus »

Jim1911 wrote:Although, xorgwizard does not work, I was able to remove the "nouveau" driver and install the latest NIVIDIA driver.
Did you use Nvidia driver or some .pet?

sebus

LateAdopter

#45 Post by LateAdopter »

Hello jamesbond
jamesbond wrote:
LateAdopter wrote: Opera 11.64 put a folder in /usr/lib which I suspect had previously been a symbolic link to /usr/lib64 like in fd520

So I put a symbolic link to /usr/lib64/hardinfo in /usr/lib then Hardinfo worked again.
I had this problem earlier and thought I have fixed it. Can you please provide the link to the pet so that I can test it?
I didn't use a .pet, I installed using opera_11.64.1403_amd64.deb downloaded via the Opera website.

The reason is that things like web browsers and display drivers are updated every few weeks and it is not reasonable to expect Puppy developers to provide new .pets so often.

I don't mind a bit of manual fixing, if necessary. In this case I would just move the Opera folder to /usr/lib64 and reinstate the symbolic link.

If anyone can give me step by step instructions on how to install the ATI driver in fd6 using the .run file from AMD, I would be pleased to have a go.

I would prefer that or, even better, a script rather than a .pet so that I can install whichever version is currently the least buggy.

I know the 12.1 package required 32 bit libraries in order to install on a 64bit system. I don't know whether that is still true for 12.4

irishrm

#46 Post by irishrm »

kirk:
Thanks for the tip about vertical scrolling.
Iv,e just enabled it.
Its so so useful :P

jamesbond

#47 Post by jamesbond »

Jim1911 wrote:This code executed in about 2 min and includes much more information.
I have just replaced all blkid with disktype, so let's see how this works. In my machine disktype is faster than blkid; blkid is faster than busybox blkid.
  • # xfe
    xfe: error while loading shared libraries: libGL.so.1: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32
I just did this on savefile=none (that's the equivalent of pfix=ram), I don't get any error. Could be some of your libraries are overwritten by earlier pet install; and/or the /usr/lib get hosed again as per irishrm case.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

jamesbond

#48 Post by jamesbond »

LateAdopter wrote:I didn't use a .pet, I installed using opera_11.64.1403_amd64.deb downloaded via the Opera website.
That explains, I may overlooked that part. I assume you just click the .DEB? (you don't, by any change, do undeb manually and copy the files over?)
The reason is that things like web browsers and display drivers are updated every few weeks and it is not reasonable to expect Puppy developers to provide new .pets so often.

I don't mind a bit of manual fixing, if necessary. In this case I would just move the Opera folder to /usr/lib64 and reinstate the symbolic link.
If anyone can give me step by step instructions on how to install the ATI driver in fd6 using the .run file from AMD, I would be pleased to have a go.

I would prefer that or, even better, a script rather than a .pet so that I can install whichever version is currently the least buggy.
I did that in the past for previous Fatdogs, haven't done this myself on 600. Once I've done it I can document the steps and share it with you (or even better, make a script out of it).
I know the 12.1 package required 32 bit libraries in order to install on a 64bit system. I don't know whether that is still true for 12.4
You are referring to Opera right? I don't use Opera so I can't comment. You can still probably use 32-bit libs from 521. I plan to build a new 32-bit library from latest Puppy (Racy, Slacko, Wary? not sure yet) - but that will take a while.

jamesbond

#49 Post by jamesbond »

Jim1911 wrote:Kirk prepared version 2.8.1 for Fatdog64-521 and it's in your repository along with the dependencies. I think the dependencies may be OK, just Bibletime needs update. Other than Kirk's version, the later versions available are 32 bit, 01micko prepared 2.9.1 for Slacko, pemasu and jerimah also have version 2.9.1 for their distributions. I have copies of all of these.
Bibletime 2.9.1 is now the in the repo. I'm using old clucene and sword from 521 - repackaged for 600.

cheers!

Billtoo

Fatdog64-600 alpha2

#50 Post by Billtoo »

I want to use the fatdog64 installer to prepare and install fatdog to
an 8gb flash drive.
I did all the steps but chose to install the bootloader to the
partition of the flash drive and that wouldn't boot, I wasn't sure
installing it to the MBR meant the MBR of the internal hard drive or
the flash drive so I chickened out on that option.
Will the installer put the bootloader on the MBR of the flash drive
and not disturb the internal hard drive?

jamesbond

Re: Fatdog64-600 alpha2

#51 Post by jamesbond »

Billtoo wrote:I want to use the fatdog64 installer to prepare and install fatdog to
an 8gb flash drive.
I did all the steps but chose to install the bootloader to the
partition of the flash drive and that wouldn't boot, I wasn't sure
installing it to the MBR meant the MBR of the internal hard drive or
the flash drive so I chickened out on that option.
Will the installer put the bootloader on the MBR of the flash drive
and not disturb the internal hard drive?
It would put the MBR to the flash drive. It should not disturb the harddisk at all. That being said, this is new code - I'd say backup your harddisk mbr first ...
The MBR that got installed is the MBR that comes with syslinux, it's pretty generic (should also boot a regular harddisk, unless you previously have wee.mbr or grub4dos bootlace.com installed there instead ...)

I need to say though my experience with booting from flash is very shaky; my laptops all boot with no problem. Standard partitioned mode (where the flashdrive has partition table) has more success than "superfloppy" mode. I can't however get my desktop to boot from my flash drive, whatever method I have tried ...

LateAdopter

#52 Post by LateAdopter »

Hello jamesbond
I assume you just click the .DEB? (you don't, by any change, do undeb manually and copy the files over?)
That's right, I just download the .deb to a folder on my hard disk. Click on it and click to confirm that I want to install.
You are referring to Opera right? I don't use Opera so I can't comment. You can still probably use 32-bit libs from 521. I plan to build a new 32-bit library from latest Puppy (Racy, Slacko, Wary? not sure yet) - but that will take a while.
I was referring to installing from the Catalyst 12.1 .run file. There were various discussions in the forums about this, at the time. But I don't know whether it was a temporary bug or a permanent feature of the installer.

Jim1911

#53 Post by Jim1911 »

sebus wrote:
Jim1911 wrote:Although, xorgwizard does not work, I was able to remove the "nouveau" driver and install the latest NIVIDIA driver.
Did you use Nvidia driver or some .pet?

sebus
Manually installed NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-295.53.run. Be sure and remove or disable the "nouveau" driver, load FDdevx which has all other necessary files. and reboot before going to a prompt and executing

sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-295.53.run
or the code for your NVIDIA driver.

Jim1911

#54 Post by Jim1911 »

jamesbond wrote:
Jim1911 wrote:Kirk prepared version 2.8.1 for Fatdog64-521 and it's in your repository along with the dependencies. I think the dependencies may be OK, just Bibletime needs update. Other than Kirk's version, the later versions available are 32 bit, 01micko prepared 2.9.1 for Slacko, pemasu and jerimah also have version 2.9.1 for their distributions. I have copies of all of these.
Bibletime 2.9.1 is now the in the repo. I'm using old clucene and sword from 521 - repackaged for 600.

cheers!
WOW! :D That was quick!

Thank you,
Jim

Jim1911

#55 Post by Jim1911 »

jamesbond wrote:
Jim1911 wrote:This code executed in about 2 min and includes much more information.
I have just replaced all blkid with disktype, so let's see how this works. In my machine disktype is faster than blkid; blkid is faster than busybox blkid. Great, that will be about 4 times faster, although, "busybox bikid" would be blazing fast on my hardware, amazing that there is that much difference in hardware.
  • # xfe
I just did this on savefile=none (that's the equivalent of pfix=ram), I don't get any error. Could be some of your libraries are overwritten by earlier pet install; and/or the /usr/lib get hosed again as per irishrm case. It must have been caused by Bibletime 2.8.1 because other than radky's pup snap, hp driver's, and NVIDIA driver it's a pristine installation.

Billtoo

Re: Fatdog64-600 alpha2

#56 Post by Billtoo »

jamesbond wrote: I need to say though my experience with booting from flash is very shaky; my laptops all boot with no problem. Standard partitioned mode (where the flashdrive has partition table) has more success than "superfloppy" mode. I can't however get my desktop to boot from my flash drive, whatever method I have tried ...
The fatdog64 installer to flash drive didn't go well,the installer
said it was going to write to the master boot record on the flash
drive but my Ubuntu install on the hard drive wouldn't boot anymore so it's
history.

I now have a fatdog install on the hard drive with lots of room for other
stuff :)

Sat 19 May 2012 Operating System: Fatdog64-600 Linux 3.3.4

oem: ATI ATOMBIOS product: RS880M 01.00

X Server: Xorg Driver: radeon
X.Org version: 1.11.4
dimensions: 1920x1080 pixels (211x158 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD RS880
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 8.0.2

AMD Athlon(tm) II Neo K125 Processor
Core 0: 1700 MHz

Network controller Broadcom Corporation BCM43225 802.11b/g/n (rev 01)

This is running on an Acer Aspire netbook hooked up to 23.6" monitor
via hdmi cable.

The screen resolution is correct on the big monitor but wrong on the
netbook screen.
Sound is still coming from the speakers on the netbook instead of the
builtin speakers in the monitor.
If I'm playing a video in vlc and go full screen it only goes to about
1/4 the size that it should on the big monitor but if I play a movie dvd and
go full screen it displays on the entire screen of the big monitor.

That's enough for now.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(21.6 KiB) Downloaded 901 times

WillM

#57 Post by WillM »

Thank you kirk and jamesbond for another great edition of Fatdog64.
It doesn't appear as if Urxvt is sourcing ~/.bash_profile or a ~/.bashrc.

Jim1911

Bibletime 2.9.1

#58 Post by Jim1911 »

Fresh installation with a new fd64save.4fs on an ext4 partition. Bibletime 2.9.1 works great with a minor problem. Bibletime.desktop in /usr/local/share/applications needs to be copied to /usr/share/applications in order for it to show up in menu.

I confirmed that Bibletime installation breaks xfe since I installed programs in this order using new save file.
1. Nvidia 295.53 driver
2. xfe
3. Bibletime 2.9.1
After installing Bibletime, xfe gives this error:
  • # xfe
    #
Is it possible to correct this problem?

Thanks,
Jim

Jim1911

Problems with save file

#59 Post by Jim1911 »

Using a fresh installation, I created a new save file named fd64save-1.4fs. Upon reboot it booted fine, however, on the next reboot, it wanted to create a new save file. Next I copied the fd64save-1.4fs to fd64save.4fs and rebooted. I was not given the opportunity to choose which save file to boot. Apparently, the only name recognized was fd64save.4fs placed in /mnt/home. It won't recognize /fatdog/fd64save.4fs.

I prefer to be able to personalize the save file with a unique name and place it in a subdirectory and be able to choose the save file to be booted.

Cheers,
Jim

Jim1911

Wine

#60 Post by Jim1911 »

Wine works! :D

Loaded fd64-32bit-libs.sfs and fd64-32bit-libs-3sfs and then installed Wine 1.5.4

Next I installed the Windows e-Sword program which is running great, so some 32 bit Windows programs will run in Fatdog64-600.

Cheers,
Jim
Attachments
image-1.jpg
e-Sword running under Wine in Fatdog64-600
(42.26 KiB) Downloaded 709 times