Fatdog64-600 alpha2

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
mikeslr

What are the Grub4Dos Menu.lst arguments for Fatdog64-600

#61 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Jim1911, or whoever can help,

Jim, you mentioned that you got Grub4Dos to recognize Fatdog64-600. I assume you hand-edited its Menu.lst as running Grub4Dos misses Fatdog. I guess it only looks for intrid.gz files.
I checked the FAQ, tried the suggestion (seems to be Grub, not Grub4dos) and some variants, but so far the proper arguments escape me.

My Fatdog files are in a folder named "fatdog" --without the quotes. It is on the second partition of a sata drive, which all other puppies have recognized as sda2. Grub4dos and its Menu.lst are located on a second sata drive, which puppies have recognized as sdb.

Thanks in advance.

mikesLr

Jim1911

Re: What are the Grub4Dos Menu.lst arguments for Fatdog64-600

#62 Post by Jim1911 »

mikeslr wrote:Hi Jim1911, or whoever can help,

Jim, you mentioned that you got Grub4Dos to recognize Fatdog64-600. I assume you hand-edited its Menu.lst as running Grub4Dos misses Fatdog. I guess it only looks for intrid.gz files.
I checked the FAQ, tried the suggestion (seems to be Grub, not Grub4dos) and some variants, but so far the proper arguments escape me.

My Fatdog files are in a folder named "fatdog" --without the quotes. It is on the second partition of a sata drive, which all other puppies have recognized as sda2. Grub4dos and its Menu.lst are located on a second sata drive, which puppies have recognized as sdb.

Thanks in advance.

mikesLr
My menu.lst entry:

Code: Select all

title Fatdog64-600A2(sdb2/fatdog)
  find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /fatdog/initrd
  kernel /fatdog/vmlinuz  pmedia=atahd pdev1=sdb2 psubdir=fatdog
  initrd /fatdog/initrd
Note the change from initrd.gz to initrd

Accept the default names and location for your save file and expect it to take about 10 min to create it. It can't seem to find it otherwise.

Hope this helps,
Jim

mikeslr

Online with Fatdog64-600 : Thanks Jim1911

#63 Post by mikeslr »

Hi and thanks again Jim1911,

I don't know which makes me seem dumber: (a) that I couldn't figure it out, or (b) that my first guess was correct but I forgot to delete the ".gz" from the fourth line of fatdog's listing in Menu.lst, and then tried other stuff. (':oops:')(':lol:').

Well, to quote a line from a pretty good movie, The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, "Everything's all right in the end. And if it isn't alright, it's not the end."

mikesLr

P.S. After writing this post using Seamonkey, I thought I'd see if Opera64-11.10, which I have on and run from a folder from sda2 --which will be /mnt/home-- would work. It does. Using "program folders" might solve the conflicts mentioned in this thread. I'll download the latest 64-bit from Opera and see how that goes.
Last edited by mikeslr on Sat 19 May 2012, 23:52, edited 1 time in total.

Jim1911

LibreOffice error

#64 Post by Jim1911 »

LibreOffice gives this error when trying to load. Ideas?
  • # libreoffice3.5
    /opt/libreoffice3.5/program/../ure-link/bin/javaldx: /usr/lib64/libxml2.so.2: no version information available (required by /opt/libreoffice3.5/ure/bin/../lib/libjvmfwk.so.3)
    #
Thanks,
Jim

kirk

#65 Post by kirk »

I was referring to installing from the Catalyst 12.1 .run file. There were various discussions in the forums about this, at the time. But I don't know whether it was a temporary bug or a permanent feature of the installer.
After we go to the latest 3.3.x kernel we will make pet packages for ATI and Nvidia. The Nvidia installer usually works, but the ATI installer is too stupid and takes some tweaking.
Sound is still coming from the speakers on the netbook instead of the
builtin speakers in the monitor.
You may need to use the Multiple sound card wizard to fix that.
The screen resolution is correct on the big monitor but wrong on the
netbook screen.
Haven't tried anything like that, you might want to give Zarfy a try, It's Display Properties under the setup menu.
# xfe
xfe: error while loading shared libraries: libGL.so.1: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32
#
That means you've installed a 32bit libGL. Maybe you got the wrong Nvidia package?
I prefer to be able to personalize the save file with a unique name and place it in a subdirectory and be able to choose the save file to be booted.

You do that in grub now. See http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... tions.html About 3/4 of the way down that page you'll see some examples that cover this.
kernel /fatdog/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd pdev1=sdb2 psubdir=fatdog
That's all changed now see http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... tions.html

Jim1911

#66 Post by Jim1911 »

kirk wrote:
# xfe
xfe: error while loading shared libraries: libGL.so.1: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32
#
That means you've installed a 32bit libGL. Maybe you got the wrong Nvidia package?
Nothing to do with Nvidia. xfe was working and it was installed after Nvidia. This error was discovered after installing the new Bibletime 2.9.1 package that Jamesbond posted in the Package Manager. I understand that he did not change the dependencies used by Bibletime 2.8.1 that you prepared. It was also present with a different save file after installation of Bibletime 2.8.1 prior to Jamesbond's update.

kirk

#67 Post by kirk »

With the all new initrd everything has changed as far as boot options. The FAQs have all been updated as well, for this and many other things. If you want to boot without a save file in 521 and other puppies, you put pfix=ram on the kernel line in grub. With 600 you would use savefile=none. The "savefile=" boot option is used to pass lots of different configuration options to the system-init script.

Here's some example boot options cut and pasted here from the FAQs:

Some examples:

savefile=direct:device:sda1 --- use savefile named fd64save.ext4 located in root directory of /dev/sda1, save directly to it
    savefile=ram:device:sda2:/fd600/fd64save.3fs --- use savefile named fd64save.3fs located in /fd600 directory of /dev/sda2, use RAM layer
    savefile=ram:usb --- use savefile named fd64save.ext4 located in root directory of the first found usb device, use RAM layer
    savefile=direct:multi --- use multisession on device /dev/sr0

Jim1911

#68 Post by Jim1911 »

kirk wrote:
I prefer to be able to personalize the save file with a unique name and place it in a subdirectory and be able to choose the save file to be booted.

You do that in grub now. See http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... tions.html About 3/4 of the way down that page you'll see some examples that cover this.
kernel /fatdog/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd pdev1=sdb2 psubdir=fatdog
That's all changed now see http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... tions.html
I see that I have a steep learning curve here. Thanks for the link.

Cheers,
Jim

kirk

#69 Post by kirk »

Jim,

Something has replaced your libGL. Sorry, I don't know which package has done it. I can tell you without a doubt the the included libGL is 64bit. I just downloaded and opened up the xfe package, it's not that. I'll check bibletime.

EDIT: I installed xfe and bibletime from the package manager. Both work and I still have a 64bit libGL. Maybe you have another savefile you forgot about. If you don't use the "savefile=" to tell it where to look it will search all your partitions.

Just wanted to say thanks for all the folks testing so far. It's already helped us fix some stuff.
Last edited by kirk on Sun 20 May 2012, 01:53, edited 1 time in total.

Jim1911

#70 Post by Jim1911 »

kirk wrote:Jim,

Something has replaced your libGL. Sorry, I don't know which package has done it. I can tell you without a doubt the the included libGL is 64bit. I just downloaded and opened up the xfe package, it's not that. I'll check bibletime.

Just wanted to say thanks for all the folks testing so far. It's already helped us fix some stuff.
It was definitely caused by Bibletime. I had only installed 3 programs and checked operation after each installation. Nvidia driver, xfe, and then Bibletime.

jamesbond

#71 Post by jamesbond »

Jim1911 wrote:

It was definitely caused by Bibletime. I had only installed 3 programs and checked operation after each installation. Nvidia driver, xfe, and then Bibletime.
Bibletime doesn't contain libGL. It is the nvidia driver; and when it is trying to install 32-bit drivers it overwrite the 64-bit drivers because /usr/X11R7/lib and /usr/X11R7/lib64 points to the same directory. Try to install Nvidia driver without the 32-bit library.

cheers!
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

jamesbond

Re: Fatdog64-600 alpha2

#72 Post by jamesbond »

Billtoo wrote:
jamesbond wrote: I need to say though my experience with booting from flash is very shaky; my laptops all boot with no problem. Standard partitioned mode (where the flashdrive has partition table) has more success than "superfloppy" mode. I can't however get my desktop to boot from my flash drive, whatever method I have tried ...
The fatdog64 installer to flash drive didn't go well,the installer
said it was going to write to the master boot record on the flash
drive but my Ubuntu install on the hard drive wouldn't boot anymore so it's
history.
Billtoo, I'm sorry to hear what happens. I tried the installer again with MBR mode, it wrote to the correct partition. If you don't mind doing it again, you can edit /usr/sbin/fatdog-installer.sh and change the first line from:

#!/bin/sh
to

#!/bin/sh -x
and the run the installer from terminal, and capture the output as follows:

fatdog-installer.sh 2>&1 | tee log.txt
. Then you can PM the log.txt to me.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

jamesbond

#73 Post by jamesbond »

WillM wrote:Thank you kirk and jamesbond for another great edition of Fatdog64.
It doesn't appear as if Urxvt is sourcing ~/.bash_profile or a ~/.bashrc.
This has nothing to do with Urxvt, it has everything to do with the shell being run by Urxvt - which is "sh". "sh" is a symlink to bash (so the shell being run is actually bash), but because it is being run as "sh" (instead of bash) it runs in POSIX mode and does not use bash-specific features. To make "bash" behave as "bash", you need to run it as "bash" and not "sh".
Ok, too much talking already. Just edit the first line of /etc/passwd from

root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/sh
to

root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
EDIT: But if you do so, /etc/shinit will not be executed. You will need to move the code over there to bash-specific initialisation files.
Last edited by jamesbond on Sun 20 May 2012, 06:16, edited 1 time in total.

jamesbond

Re: LibreOffice error

#74 Post by jamesbond »

Jim1911 wrote:LibreOffice gives this error when trying to load. Ideas?
  • # libreoffice3.5
    /opt/libreoffice3.5/program/../ure-link/bin/javaldx: /usr/lib64/libxml2.so.2: no version information available (required by /opt/libreoffice3.5/ure/bin/../lib/libjvmfwk.so.3)
    #
Thanks,
Jim
This should not stop libreoffice from running. The message is just a warning that means libxml2 in Fatdog is built differently from the one used to compile libreoffice. See here and here.
Libreoffice does ship the matching libxml2, it is available here /opt/libreoffice3.5/ure/lib so if you're having problem with it, you need to launch the libreoffice like the following:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/libreoffice3.5/ure/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH libreoffice
Or you can add the following line to /etc/profile.local (if it doesn't exist create one):

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/libreoffice3.5/ure/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
Or you can create a "libreoffice-profile.sh" in /etc/profile.d/, make sure it is executable (chmod +x), and put the line above there.

Your choice :) but only do one of them.

Jim1911

#75 Post by Jim1911 »

jamesbond wrote:
Jim1911 wrote:

Bibletime doesn't contain libGL. It is the nvidia driver; and when it is trying to install 32-bit drivers it overwrite the 64-bit drivers because /usr/X11R7/lib and /usr/X11R7/lib64 points to the same directory. Try to install Nvidia driver without the 32-bit library.

cheers!
NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-295-53.run is the 64 bit driver that I installed and the next installation was xfe and both worked fine until I installed Bibletime. I suspect that it's cause by one of the Bibletime dependencies, not Bibletime itself.

jamesbond

#76 Post by jamesbond »

Jim1911 wrote:NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-295-53.run is the 64 bit driver that I installed and the next installation was xfe and both worked fine until I installed Bibletime. I suspect that it's cause by one of the Bibletime dependencies, not Bibletime itself.
Really odd, clucene and sword (the two dependencies required by bibletime) also don't contain any libGL. I haven't tested installing nvidia myself (lets just say the machine with nvidia card isn't easily accessible for the time being). If you don't mind can you try this one:
- from fresh install,
- install nvidia,
- reboot (important)
- install xfe
- does it work?
- if it still works, do this:

find / -name "libGL.so.*" | xargs file
and it will list the locations where you will find libGL and its type (whether 32bit or 64bit).

BTW - I have replaced disktype with busybox blkid (again!) so the next release you would have no delay, hopefully :)

mikeslr

Latest Opera64 runs fine from /mnt/home

#77 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All,

Just wanted to report that the latest Opera64 (Version 11.64 Build 1403) runs fine from /mnt/home. It apparently picked up the flashplayer already in Fatdog, as Youtubes played without my having to install anything. After successfully running the first Youtube, however, I clicked on Extensions and added "Extend Youtube" which installed an html5 extension. If you haven't tried Opera recently, you'll be pleasantly surprised by the many extensions (Addons) it now supports. Runs very fast in Fatdog64.

And, unlike Chrome, doesn't report everything you do to Google.

Information is power. Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Lord Acton. The Founding Fathers of the US, anticipating this established safeguard against what they perceived as the greatest threat to individual liberty: The Fourth and Fifth Amendments to the US Constitution which only limits the exercise of power by governments. They did not foresee the rise of transnational corporations, ultimately answerable to nobody, and sufficiently powerful to influence the countries they frequent. For the sake of convenience we gladly give away information about ourselves which the red tape of Judicial procedures and the practicality of limited budgets prohibit governments from easily collecting. Try getting a job when your life is an open book, when every innocent mistake --such as the mis-spelling of a word in a "google" search brings you to a suspicious website-- is available to anyone willing to pay for information about you, or to a government via the issuance of a Subpoena, or less, and what constitutes suspicious behavior is the stuff of fades and fancies.

Sorry about the rant. I'm just annoyed by the rise of the laissez-faire mentality whose predicate is that governments can do nothing right, and corporations can do nothing wrong.

mikesLr

Jim1911

#78 Post by Jim1911 »

jamesbond wrote:
Jim1911 wrote:NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-295-53.run is the 64 bit driver that I installed and the next installation was xfe and both worked fine until I installed Bibletime. I suspect that it's cause by one of the Bibletime dependencies, not Bibletime itself.
Really odd, clucene and sword (the two dependencies required by bibletime) also don't contain any libGL. I haven't tested installing nvidia myself (lets just say the machine with nvidia card isn't easily accessible for the time being). If you don't mind can you try this one:
- from fresh install,
- install nvidia,
- reboot (important)
- install xfe
- does it work?
- if it still works, do this:

find / -name "libGL.so.*" | xargs file
and it will list the locations where you will find libGL and its type (whether 32bit or 64bit).

BTW - I have replaced disktype with busybox blkid (again!) so the next release you would have no delay, hopefully :)
It looks like I've been wasting our time. :oops: I was blaming the Bibletime dependency QT4 for breaking xfe. I've installed programs (first creating new save file) in this order four (4) times: NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-295.53.run, and (using your Package Manager) xfe and Bibletime. The first two (2) times xfe failed to run after Bibletime was installed. :? The last two (2) times xfe works fine although with this msg: :?
  • # xfe
    Expected Xft library version 20200 or greater; was 20114.
You and Kirk were correct that "libGL.so.295.53: ELF 32-bit LSB shared object" is linked to the NVIDIA driver installation, however, it doesn't appear to make any difference on my last installations. Attached in the fake gz file (change "gz" to "abw") to are results of different runs of your code above.

I appreciate the change to "disktype with busybox blkid", it gets kind of old waiting about 10 min for disk icons to appear on the desktop. That change will make my i7 really fly. :D Hope that this change doesn't adversely affect other hardware.

Re: Problem I reported above with LibreOffice which was failing to run, it runs fine in my latest installation. :? I'm really impressed at the speed especially with large pps files.

Re: Fatdog64 Package Manager which has a great feature "Choose Mirror", however there are no mirrors to choose. My experience with ibiblio is that it is extremely slow and I have a fios connection.

Re: Opera64 (Version 11.64 Build 1403) My experience agrees with what mikeslr reported. It works great, although I prefer Firefox 12 64 bit version but can't get it to work.

Thanks to you and Kirk for all the hard work that you've put into this superb distribution.

Cheers,
Jim
Attachments
findlib.gz
Attached file is actually an Abiword .abw file.
(12.05 KiB) Downloaded 525 times

irishrm

#79 Post by irishrm »

kirk:
jamesbond:
Did a frugal usb install with unetbootin-windows.
Delighted with the result everything worked well.

Then I went to download some pets from the pets repo only to find that I couldn't download anything. (nothing happened).
I am aware that the download path is "/spot/downloads".

By doing the following I did manage to download python and scribus:
Opened the terminal:
su spot:
seamonkey:
The downloads ended up in tmp:
Transferred to another folder with one error.
They installed ok but obviously there is something wrong, it could be me.

Also there seems to be three instances of gtkam camera manager in the menus?

I hope I,m not driving you mad with these issues.

edit:
Can't see guvcview?

irishrm.

jamesbond

Re: Latest Opera64 runs fine from /mnt/home

#80 Post by jamesbond »

mikeslr wrote:Just wanted to report that the latest Opera64 (Version 11.64 Build 1403) runs fine from /mnt/home. It apparently picked up the flashplayer already in Fatdog, as Youtubes played without my having to install anything. After successfully running the first Youtube, however, I clicked on Extensions and added "Extend Youtube" which installed an html5 extension. If you haven't tried Opera recently, you'll be pleasantly surprised by the many extensions (Addons) it now supports. Runs very fast in Fatdog64.
I have not used Opera for ages. Not because I don't like it, but just because the built-in browser already meets my needs. I should probably give it a try.
And, unlike Chrome, doesn't report everything you do to Google.
The only thing to avoid that is download the source, take out the code that does this reporting, and compile it yourself. I don't bother to do that because the size of Chrome sources and tools required to build it is bigger than the size of Linux kernel, in fact, bigger than the size of Fatdog itself :shock: Just to build a browser? Sheesh. Chrome may be fast but I'm not running image processing or video transcoding on it :)