Puppy & Reprap 3d Printing

Booting, installing, newbie
Lucastar

Puppy & Reprap 3d Printing

#1 Post by Lucastar »

Hi Everyone,

I have used Puppy on and off since (about) v2 and have burnt more derivative discs discs than I can remember.
I've never really got my head around linux, so (sadly) always revert back to M$ when I get a problem with a bit of hardware, or when I need some software that wont run through wine.

For the last year, I have been involved in the REPRAP community (reprap.org) designing and making diy 3d printers.

I was wondering how easy it would be to make a puppy/reprap combination with some standard reprap software installed - lots of it will run on linux - ubuntu in particular, but I just don't know how to start the project in terms of actually installing the software & making it work.

Firstly, It would need to support the Arduino program, as that is used for programming the motherboards.
The most common boards are:
Sanguinololu, Ramps, gen4, Gen6 and 7

I think that it would need python setting up, and java, then

I would be thinking of:
slic3r.org
pronterface http://reprap.org/wiki/Printrun
Skeinforge
Sfact
'replicator G' http://replicat.org/download
repetier host

and some good 3d software for creating stl files and scad
http://www.openscad.org/ (I don't use it, but a lot of people on thingiverse.com love it)

and Blender? - I personally prefer Rhino, but that wont play with linux.

oh and any software that the makerbot machines use...

ideally, as these programs are getting updated regularly, it would be good if there was an easy way to update, but that isn't really necessary.

Has anyone done anything like this before?
Is anyone running a Reprap with puppy linux??

it would be great to hear from anyone who thinks that this is a good idea!!
(especially someone who might be able to assist!)

Cheers

Aidan

kooliepup

#2 Post by kooliepup »

Hi Lucastar,

I am a bit surprised that nobody has picked up on this yet. It certainly has my attention.

I have just been wading through many pages related to this, and can see this being part of my future.

Running it on Puppy would be perfect.

And for those here who are playing with Arduino and RaspberryPi, you can make your own container boxes with this.
That should get someone's attention.

I can see a new tangent here for me to go off on.

Lucastar

#3 Post by Lucastar »

Hi Kooliepup,

Yes, I was also surprised that nobody had really taken this up... It puzzles me - so many people have issues with installing the software - A Puppy Live Reprap disc would solve so many problems for so many people - and promote the virtues of Puppy. (I love studiopup for making music)

Here is a link to my original reprap question:
http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?1,132473 just to help anyone else who might want to play...

JohnRPM on the reprap forum suggested using 'bones' to create the packages required, but I don't know anything about that at the moment...
Installing software has always been my main bugbear with puppy(and linux in general) - the pets and pups were always useful, but what to do if they are not available? can I install from binaries? (my head is swimming just thinking about it!)

~Tangents? I often find that I get an idea to google for, and by the time that I get to my PC and it has booted , I've totally forgotten what I was after and am looking at something totally different! (By the time I have remembered, several hours have passed and I have just switched off my PC ... oops!)

Just found this; its from the makerbot site, and a little dated (Dec-2010)
http://wiki.makerbot.com/run-repg-from-a-stick

They use Puppy Linux 5.11 in that tutorial, but can anyone tell me what actually is based on? I've got a bit lost and confused with the puppy numbering/release system. Lucid, wary, Slacko...

Basically, which one should we concentrate on?
The Lucid 5.2.8 wont run on my Toshiba satellite pro A200 for some reason - boots, then wont run the gui - can type xorgwizard. but just get another prompt. downloaded it 3 times, but no different. I like the idea that it is Ubuntu compatible, but it has to work for everyone!!!

Is the slackware version the main release now?

I didn't think about the cases for the Raspberry Pi though - there are some on Thingiverse.com already... I did a search:
http://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=raspberry+pi

and for arduino - although I guess there is less for Puppy users there...
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:20739 is a case for an arduino

Cheers

Lucastar

#4 Post by Lucastar »

ahh. just seen that puppy 5.11 is lucid based, and hence ubuntu compatible.. (please correct me if I made an error!)

kooliepup

#5 Post by kooliepup »

I have just had a look at the repg usb link, and that looks good to go as-is, and I would suggest going with that for starters. Grab a copy ot 5.11, and the rest should be fairly easy. Actually it may be better to use 5.20.

Re: Is the slackware version the main release now?
No, but I am using Slacko for everything now, but because Ubuntu packages will be part of a lot of this, I will put it together using Lucid-5.20, which I have found is the most likely version to have everything work straight-up. Others may say to use 5.28.

My lappie won't boot from USB, so I will do it as a frugal install, and when I have it done I will upload the savefile somewhere, but that won't be till after June 2nd, as I only have 800MB of data left for this month.

Hopefully someone else will come in on this soon.
Hang in there, we will get this done.

Lucastar

#6 Post by Lucastar »

I downloaded a copy of Racy-5.3.iso
Is that Ubuntu based too?

I will also d/l a copy of Lucid 5.20 and have a good look.

I'm not that bothered about booting from USB personally - my laptop won't boot from usb either - but a copy of plop bootmanager on CD sorts that out easily - and you get a nice starfield to look at while its doing it...
(sorted out my old lifebook b2130)

It would be great if someone else came on board too.... many hands etc...

rhadon

#7 Post by rhadon »

Lucastar wrote:I downloaded a copy of Racy-5.3.iso
Is that Ubuntu based too?
No. AFAIK Racy, Quirky and Wary (developed by Barry Kauler) are based on T2.

Slacko is based on Slackware (also able to install .deb files, but not every .deb file works).

Lupu and Lucid are based on Ubuntu.

Also the forks from pemasu (Icepup, Exprimo, Precise) are based on Ubuntu. It's more for newer Hardware.

If you are running Grub from HD, there is no need to run Plop from CD. Just copy 1 file (plpbt.bin) to your HD and create a entry in your menu.lst.

Openscad is easy to install from the tar.xz file. Just download, extract it and run install.sh. Tested in Slacko 5-3.3 and Lucid 528.005.

HTH
Rolf
Ich verwende "frugal", und das ist gut so. :wink:
Raspberry Pi without Puppy? No, thanks.

Lucastar

#8 Post by Lucastar »

Thanks for clearing that up Rolf.

Actually running WinXP, so booting from live disc... hence the plop talk!

I can't get any version of Lucid to run on my Toshiba Satellite Pro A200
It allows me to choose a keyboard layout, then goes on about files being read only. takes me to a prompt. Xorgwizard just gives me more read only file nonsense, and then another prompt. Racy/Wary/slacko all work fine.

Oddly, I cant upload a jpeg to show you the screen that I'm getting...

Xwin does nothing except more read only file stuff. never had this problem with any other version of puppy.

I ran the same disc(s) (lucid5.25 in particular) in an old P4 compaq laptop, and they boot fine, so I know that it's not down to bad downloads :(

any ideas?

Also, while playing with the compaq, I managed to get a program called Slic3r (.org) to run in a similar way as you described getting openscad to run, Any idea how I might get a program called printrun to work?

http://reprap.org/wiki/Printrun

I installed python, but I dont get any result when I try to run it pronterface.py (part of printrun)...

Sorry - I have so many questions!

kooliepup

#9 Post by kooliepup »

I have been getting this thing together on Slacko-5.31, and all plain sailing so far.

I have installed
Python
Java
JMF
OpenSCad
Blender
RepligatorG
ArtOfIllusion
Arduino-1.0
AcrobatReader for 3D PDFs
and my savefile is already up to 2GB.

I can't d/l any more this month, and I won't be able upload a savefile, as my monthly allowance is only 5GB.

Time I got me a machine, I think.
Which machine do you reccommended for a beginner?
I probably don't need to prototype the next Audi, but a machine that doesn't fall apart could be good.

I have registered on the RepRap forum, so I can keep up to date with developments.

kooliepup

#10 Post by kooliepup »

I could be developing an addiction to this.

RepRaPup-0.001 lives.

Dammit, I have other stuff I should be doing.
Attachments
reprapup-stuff-795x447.jpg
(65.58 KiB) Downloaded 1281 times

Lucastar

#11 Post by Lucastar »

Well! (and WOW!!!) You have got a lot further than me (no surprises really)

I love the desktop screen shots - did you generate the swirly thing yourself?

It would be good to see the Reprap logo rendered in a similar way!

Your slacko version also solves my non booting problem.

I'm not totally sure that the acrobat 3d is totally necessary, but cool anyway. I presume the file size is enormous? Adobe stuff usually is these days! It would be good for the whole thing to fit on a CD rather than a DVD - but I guess that is a lot of fat to trim!!!

It would be essential to see Kliment's Printrun on there - the majority of people use this now.
Part of the Printrun suite is a program called Pronterface. it allows you to move the head about, set temperatures, view toolpaths (only 2d) and prime/run the printer.

Pronterface requires a program called Skeinforge, Sfact or Slic3r (new addition) to cut the Stl files into slices ready for printing, and then outputs them to the printers.
Skeinforge was the program that everyone was using - and has the benefit of being able to create router paths too - it was a little too complicated for the average user, so someone cut it down, and Sfact was born (similar but less settings). I use that myself.

Within the last few months, I notice that people are using a program called Slic3r to cut their files into slices - it doesn't (yet) do the job of slicing as well yet, but it is far easier to use, and is very popular - It is being incorporated into the latest versions of printrun (dev releases at moment) - it is getting updates regularly and I believe it will be the race winner for reprap...
So, Skeinforge, Sfact and Slic3r would be great - I think that Printrun can only use one at a time - It would be great to select which one you wanted to use for each print, but it involves moving files around, rather than just selecting the output in Printrun - might not be the scope of this project just yet!!!

I can't use replicatorG with my Gen6, and I'm not totally sure that people running Ramps 1.4 or Sanguinololu electronics can either - the replicatorG seems to be more for people with Makerbot electronics - I am generalising though - there is always someone who can get it working!!!

take a look here:
http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?1,129755,129759

there is a link to a jpeg that someone has made which might be clearer

As for purchasing your machine, it really depends where you are and the postage you want to pay....Where abouts are you based?

In the UK, (where I am) I would totally support Adrian Bowyer http://reprappro.com/Mendel (there is a smaller version called Huxley too) Adrian is the founder of the project, and the neat thing about his machine is that the extruder stepper is not attached to the print head - reducing weight, and hence should be able to run faster.

There is a slightly different machine based on reprap parts in the Netherlands made by Camiel Gubbels - at Mendel-parts.com - More rigid frame, uses Gen6 electronics, but his supply can be a bit slow by all accounts. Good print quality at higher speeds.

Plenty of companies in the States - Makerbot make great machines - not quite a reprap, but work very well. just looking at Makergear.com too not seen their M2 until today...

I built my own from odds and sods I had lying around, and a CNC router - there is all the documentation available on the reprap website.
I will probably release my design for sale at some point over the next few weeks - but its not quite ready yet - mine is rigid ally, and totally housed, so no electronics exposed.

A lot of people are buying and making a machine called a Reprap Prusa - its a little easier to assemble than the mendel.

Best thing to do is look here:
http://reprap.org/wiki/RepRap_Buyers'_Guide
and maybe ask the question on the reprap forum - some 'suppliers' are not so good at 'supplying'!

Ebay might be good for a ready made printer - a lot of them are kits - it all depends on your budget really. Mine cost me £300, but I built it myself from bits I had lying around. There is a For Sale section on the Reprap Forum - but check who is selling, and their feedback too.

Anyway, this post is getting far too long - its all so exciting!!

kooliepup

#12 Post by kooliepup »

Hi again,

I am in Victoria, Australia, and I don't think there are any suppliers around here.

I can't go any further with this till next month.
You should have caught up and passed me by then.
I will be very frustrated till then.

If you or anyone else want to take over (or create your own) RepRaPup you are welcome.
I am not after fame and fortune, Well, maybe fortune.
I reccommend Slacko for the base.

The 'swirly thing' was stolen from Knoppix (Linux).

Lucastar

#13 Post by Lucastar »

I'm not sure I could get as far as you have - I still cant get blender to work - even using the puppy package installer.
I get replicatorG to work (at least I think - the program was running)
and Slicr3r was running but...

My knowledge of Linux is so slight, so I looked at the tutorials on the beginning of this forum for newbies, and my head was spinning before I knew it!

I wish I could get a copy of your ISO file... it looks really promising!

As for local purchasing, I don't know these dudes, but they are (at least) in your country)

http://bilbycnc.com.au/ but they are in NSW, so not local, but....

- most suppliers will ship worldwide now tho

also take a look at

http://reprap.org/wiki/RUG/Australia/Melbourne
cos they are (fairly) local to you I think???

Maybe someone there would upload your ISO?

http://forums.reprap.org/list.php?129

http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?129,102214 talks about a meeting on the 28thMay

Have a chat with Greg Frost - I think he might be able to help you...

In the meantime, I will play with Slacko some more - but I really am clueless in this dept!

Good Luck Kooliepup!

kooliepup

#14 Post by kooliepup »

Thanks for that info.
Seems that local suppliers are $200 dearer than from UK or US including shipping.
I find that with so many things. I now buy most of my stuff direct from China.
They wonder why people are not supporting local sellers.
I had a look on ebay too, not much there right now.

I know people who hardly use any of their data allowance because they only use it for email, but those people wouldn't be keen to let me touch their latest top-of-the-range machine in case I left a fingerprint on it, and don't know and don't want to know how to upload or do anything else.
One woman brags that she has two internet accounts, and she couldn't live without the internet, but she is not aware that she could actually LEARN something from the net.
I sometimes use machines of community groups I belong to, but their 'ADSL' is slower than my 3G. (TELSTRA, I'm looking at you)

One way or another we will end up with a CD for the masses.

Cheers.
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

greengeek

#15 Post by greengeek »

I think I read that Saluki Puppy is compatible with Ubuntu apps, so that might be worth a try on your laptop.

kooliepup

#16 Post by kooliepup »

I have been getting this together on a frugal install, and adding stuff to a multisession CD as it works.
Now have v0.002 multi-CD.
When it's all done I will do a proper CD/ISO.
Still another 5 days before I can go further.

Lucastar

#17 Post by Lucastar »

@ greengeek - yes, tried Saluki. didn't like the package manager as format much, (couldn't see an obvious way to install ubuntu programs) and I thought I would enjoy the XFCE window manager, but I prefer the Lucid version...
Oddly enough, I can run Lucid, if I boot from a USB stick....

@ Kooliepup - Great to see Slic3r on there - with the addition of the Printrun suite, we should have a full (enough) setup - I did wonder if we started out by going about this the wrong way though...

Do you think it would be better to package these files as pet files - rather than just bloating up the basic puppy? (don't like to say that at this point! might be too late!)

I tried to install printrun, so I installed python first. typing python at a command gives me the correct messages, but
When I type 'python pronterface.py' I get a message about there being no link between the two.. How do I resolve this?
Also, when I download a python program, where do I save it to? I wish it would just save to the correct place, and detect my python install!!

I would have the same problem If I were making a .pet - how do you tell it where it is installing to, and how to make its links with the other libraries (etc) it needs?

kooliepup

#18 Post by kooliepup »

I have installed Printrun too, and am trying to locate a compatable wxPython for it to run.

If that's all that you need for the CD then you should have it in a few days. It won't be huge.
If there are other things you want included let me know.

I won't have a machine for some time, and won't be able to test it, so I will probably only upload it the once, and it will be for others to test and modify if they wish.

Lucastar

#19 Post by Lucastar »

That's fantastic Kooliepup - you are a star!

I've asked the question about extras on the reprap forum, so I'm hoping to get a little feedback...

What program does pronterface/Printrun associate with itself? Sfact, Skeinforge or Slic3r?

It would be great to have the choice...

kooliepup

#20 Post by kooliepup »

Until I get Printrun running I don't know.
I'll add both if they are not too large, then I think the CD will come in at about 450MB.

I have installed Mesa drivers, and have tested ATI drivers which I will now remove for non-ATI users.
I have also removed AcrobatReader.

Version 1-alpha coming up shortly.