Need help with D-Link DWL-G630 Wifi PCMIA card

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
Runemaster

Need help with D-Link DWL-G630 Wifi PCMIA card

#1 Post by Runemaster »

How would I go about getting my D-Link DWL-G630 Wireless network card up and running on puppy 2.02? I'm running it on a laptop obviously, a Dell inspiron 1200. Any help would be very much appreiciated

kirk

#2 Post by kirk »

That might be a Atheros based card. You might want to google "DWL-G630" and what ever revision it is and "chipset" . Wireless cards will keep the same model number and change chipsets, the revision number usually indicates that. If it's Atheros, try this:

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?p=61379#61379

Ted Dog

I have the exact same card!

#3 Post by Ted Dog »

And running under puppy 2.02 on my laptop, let me switch over and send you my settings
See if it will work for you.
unzip into /
to test click on /etc/rc.d/rc.local
it will reappear if session is saved

it seems to be usable over version numbers I actually installed this in Puppy 1.0 series. Support is build-in for Puppy 2.0 series so the ndiswrapper reinstall is not needed if the needed ndiswrapper directory & launch script are copied over, as it is here. Let me know if this works for you.

Runemaster

Re: I have the exact same card!

#4 Post by Runemaster »

Ted Dog wrote:And running under puppy 2.02 on my laptop, let me switch over and send you my settings
See if it will work for you.
unzip into /
to test click on /etc/rc.d/rc.local
it will reappear if session is saved

Sorry ted, I'm just now getting into linux, which I have been wanting to for a long time. Well anyways, see I was brought up on DOS. If this was DOS I could do it myself. But if you would'nt mind breaking this down for me? :? If you want to contact me via e-mail that would be fine.

Ted Dog

OK, catch 22

#5 Post by Ted Dog »

How do you get the file to your puppy? Can you access the blue download link on my last post on your laptop in Windows? If so save target with rightmouse click in Internet Explorer to C:\ { top level } Boot puppy 2.02 CD
use Pmount to find hda1 (NTFS or DOS ) If red then click on the red button, if green (the location is the text to the left ) Click on the red house on the upper left of desktop, link the uparrow until the left most folder has the same name as the link and follow the folders until you see the file named in the download link given above. click on it will open the archive program. After a short wait, a file list will appear and on the top of this window press the button [Extract] answer yes for 'all'. A path textbox will appear delete all but the first '/' and press the <Enter> key.
Almost ready. (actually it is ready) if you restart the puppy boot cd and save. However, you can test without rebooting.

Test (you can try this as you wish)
press the red roof house on the desktop use the /\ button till you see a folder labeled etc click on it, next click on the folder labeled rc.d, and finally click on rc.local. The two green lights should flash back and forth a bit until the strongest signal is linked and IP connected. It will then flash both at the same time a few times. And you are set click on the web browser and you should be off and running.

Runemaster

w00t!

#6 Post by Runemaster »

Wooohooo! I am now writing this post using puppy, but unfortunately, not with my wireless PCMIA card, I did what you said Ted, but ive been sitting here watchin this thing blink back and forth for bout 10-20 mins now and I'm gettin nuthin, I'm currently doin it the old fashioned way good ol' wired connection but i think I might keep it like this but i really would like to get this peice of hardware working, just to give me a challenge, any ideas