Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 30 Oct 2014, 12:22
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware
So I spilled water on my notebook....
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Loko

PostPosted: Mon 28 May 2012, 13:37    Post_subject:  So I spilled water on my notebook....
Sub_title: Yes, I'm a moron

My problem seem to be that the electrical signal from the keys to my notebook are not working as intended anymore. Some keys do not respond to input whereas others return multiple keys when pressed, some keys just suddenly get an unstoppable desire to be pressed down continuously. The mousepad still works fine.

Is there any way I could "reset" the keyboard so to speak?
Any way I can disable the keyboard?
I´ve tried plugging in a wireless keybord, but the notebook couldn't detect it. Is there a tool I can use to diagnose any problems and help me get that working?

Íḿ using 5.28 luicd puppy

Thanks for any help you may give me. Puppy linux is pretty awesome Smile
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Mon 28 May 2012, 14:13    Post_subject:  

Was it just clean water or was it dirty or sugary? How much water? Was the keyboard saturated or was it just a bit wet? Did you remove the battery right away to prevent electrolytic corrosion, and leave it out until you were sure the keyboard was dry? What did you do to dry it out? How long did you wait before putting the battery back in?

If it was clean water and you instantly removed the battery when the water spilled on the keyboard, there's a good chance it will work if you thoroughly dry it out before replacing the battery. It takes longer than you might think to thoroughly dry something like a keyboard. The best way to dry out any trapped water that remains after you give it a good shaking is to get it pretty hot (40 C at least) for several days. Again, without the battery.
Loko

PostPosted: Mon 28 May 2012, 14:23    Post_subject:  

Flash wrote:
Was it just clean water or was it dirty or sugary? How much water? Was the keyboard saturated or was it just a bit wet? Did you remove the battery right away to prevent electrolytic corrosion, and leave it out until you were sure the keyboard was dry? What did you do to dry it out? How long did you wait before putting the battery back in?

If it was clean water and you instantly removed the battery when the water spilled on the keyboard, there's a good chance it will work if you thoroughly dry it out before replacing the battery. It takes longer than you might think to thoroughly dry something like a keyboard. The best way to dry out any trapped water remaining after you give it a good shaking is to get it pretty hot (40 C at least) for several days. Again, without the battery.
Clean water, some water but not satuated. Id say half full cup. I did not remove the battery, but placed it top side on a heating unit for about an hour. I had some contacts on email that I needed to get into contact with. It seemed to work well for everything save the keys. Its a samsung N150Plus, with the battery at the bottom behind the fully functional mouse pad. I dont believe it has taken any damage.

Ill try heating it without the battery.
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Mon 28 May 2012, 14:26    Post_subject:  

Keep us posted. Smile
puppyluvr

PostPosted: Mon 28 May 2012, 15:09    Post_subject:  

Very Happy Hello,
Put it in a bag of uncooked rice overnight.....

Puppy since 2.15CE...
Karl Godt

PostPosted: Mon 28 May 2012, 17:00    Post_subject:  

remove all screws you can remove to let the humidity vanish and not condensate .
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum