Wary and Racy 5.3 final

Please post any bugs you have found
Karl Godt

Re: Racy/Wary: Upgrade glibc/gcc

#121 Post by Karl Godt »

Terryphi wrote:Last year Barry discussed the possibility of upgrading the versions of glibc and gcc in Wary/Racy:

http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02372

At that time he decided to stick with the existing versions and I supported this view because of the risk of breaking older programs. However, things have moved on. I think it is now time to reconsider because Lucid and Precise have later versions and some recent programs now require them.
Still i am able to compile most newer CLI source with Puppy 4 glibc-2.6.1 .
Problems with X/gtk/glib-GUI applications .

I think Puppy is missing a Xorg-server -version 1.5 and glibc-2.8 to reduce the stepping height .

rcrsn51

#122 Post by rcrsn51 »

Read here about continuing problems with printing in Wary.

TKLF

#123 Post by TKLF »

Apologies if this is a dumb question, but...
Does the newer kernel and Xorg in Racy nullify some of the Wary compatibility with older systems?

MagicZaurus

Wireless connection not possible

#124 Post by MagicZaurus »

In Wary 5.3 I'm not able to establish a wireless connection with my router. In Wary 5.2.2 it is not a problem at all and working very nice.

In the log file of the Simple Network Setup (SNS), I find the following lines.

Code: Select all

STEP1c: ifconfig wlan0 down
STEP2: iwconfig wlan0 mode managed
STEP3: iwconfig wlan0 channel 3
STEP4: iwconfig wlan0 essid "2WIRE_ABC"
STEP5a: ifconfig wlan0 up
STEP5b: wpa_supplicant -B -Dwext -iwlan0 -c"/etc/simple_network_setup/wpa_supplicant.conf-2WIRE_ABC-00:18:DA:02:1A:F9"
daemon: No such device
Running: wpa_cli -i wlan0 status
Failed to connect to wpa_supplicant - wpa_ctrl_open: No such file or directory
The driver used is iwl3945. I had a look at the SNS script (/usr/local/simple_network_setup/sns, but could not find any comment on changes since Wary 5.2.2 which could cause this.

Anybody has any ideas where it could go wrong?

johnywhy

#125 Post by johnywhy »

thanks for your hard work. great to have an update.

-have had some SD card-reader issues, both internal and usb.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=78565

-have had connection issues with simple network tool, had to use the wizard instead (frisbee is best).
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=78553

-major remastering issues
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=78575

-xandr issues
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=78566

-respository issues
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=78559
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 610#629610

-wine does not run
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=78629

i give up on racy. too many problems. unusable.

i think Puppy needs a more thorough, systematic testing cycle before new releases, imho.

rjbrewer

Re: Wireless connection not possible

#126 Post by rjbrewer »

MagicZaurus wrote:In Wary 5.3 I'm not able to establish a wireless connection with my router. In Wary 5.2.2 it is not a problem at all and working very nice.

In the log file of the Simple Network Setup (SNS), I find the following lines.

STEP1c: ifconfig wlan0 down
STEP2: iwconfig wlan0 mode managed
STEP3: iwconfig wlan0 channel 3
STEP4: iwconfig wlan0 essid "2WIRE_ABC"
STEP5a: ifconfig wlan0 up
STEP5b: wpa_supplicant -B -Dwext -iwlan0 -c"/etc/simple_network_setup/wpa_supplicant.conf-2WIRE_ABC-00:18:DA:02:1A:F9"
daemon: No such device
Running: wpa_cli -i wlan0 status
Failed to connect to wpa_supplicant - wpa_ctrl_open: No such file or directory
The driver used is iwl3945. I had a look at the SNS script (/usr/local/simple_network_setup/sns, but could not find any comment on changes since Wary 5.2.2 which could cause this.

Anybody has any ideas where it could go wrong?
Compare the /etc/network-wizard/wireless/profiles and wpa
profiles.
If not the same, drag the files from 5.2.2 to 5.3.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

MagicZaurus

Wireless connection not possible

#127 Post by MagicZaurus »

Hi rjbrewer,

thanks for the idea. Unfortunately the files seem to be exactly the same and I copied them over, just to make sure I didn't miss out anything during visual compare. But still no connection.

Maybe I need to dig more deeper.

vtpup

#128 Post by vtpup »

johnywhy wrote: i give up on racy. too many problems. unusable.

i think Puppy needs a more thorough, systematic testing cycle before new releases, imho

-have had some SD card-reader issues, both internal and usb.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=78565
Uhhh, In Lucid, not Racy.
-have had connection issues with simple network tool, had to use the wizard instead (frisbee is best).
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=78553
This is a problem? Three alternatives two of which work well with your computer?
You remastered and said it worked fine. This seems to be a savefile to card issue, and may be procedural -- you never specified steps to reproduce this issue, and it involved a couple of different (simultaneous?) installs of a remastered OS.
Known bug in late X11, not Racy specifically, and a regression, therefore sometimes not present in less cutting edge Puppies.
If you boot stock Racy53 disk (not your remaster) using boot parameter pfix=ram, do you have this issue?
A.) Racy does not include Wine, so it is not a subject of a its "testing cycle." It's your installation of some version of Wine, a program, that is the issue. You did not specify the method of installation, version of the program or steps to reproduce your error...

and,

B.) From reading your description you probably mean Wine isn't associated with your .exe files, rather than it does not "run".

Suggestion: rather than post that Racy is "unusable", provide "thorough, systematic testing" services to the likewise volunteer developers,

Systematic, and thorough, as in, including full steps to reproduce any discovered issues, full description of your hardware with that issue, OS version under test (so as not to confuse, say Lucid with Racy.), type of install (frugal, full), and media type, all on a per issue basis.

Imho
[color=darkblue]Acer Aspire 5349-2635 laptop Tahrpup.[/color]
[color=blue]Acer R11 and C720 Chromebks Bionicpup64[/color]
[color=olive]Acer Iconia A1-830 tablet no pup[/color]
[color=orange]www.sredmond.com[/color]

johnywhy

#129 Post by johnywhy »

vtpup wrote:Uhhh, In Lucid, not Racy.
yes, my bad.
vtpup wrote:Three alternatives two of which work well with your computer?
true, but when something doesn't work that worked in the previous racy, it makes me nervous about the release.
vtpup wrote:You remastered and said it worked fine. This seems to be a savefile to card issue, and may be procedural -- you never specified steps to reproduce this issue, and it involved a couple of different (simultaneous?) installs of a remastered OS.
The first step of making the remaster worked fine, but actually installing the remaster failed. I don't think i left any steps out, and it involved only one remaster.

vtpup wrote:
-xandr issues\
Known bug in late X11, not Racy specifically, and a regression, therefore sometimes not present in less cutting edge Puppies.
I believe xandr works in previous racy, but i will recheck.
vtpup wrote:
-respository issues
If you boot stock Racy53 disk (not your remaster) using boot parameter pfix=ram, do you have this issue?
will test
vtpup wrote:Wine-- You did not specify the method of installation, version of the program or steps to reproduce your error...
ok, i will provide that info. I believe its a version of wine and install method that worked with previous racy, but will check.
vtpup wrote:Suggestion: provide "thorough, systematic testing" services to the likewise volunteer developers,
i'd be happy to, if racy devs care to hear it.
[b]Now[/b]: X-Tahr 2.0! StretchDog! DevuanDog!
[b]Tops[/b]: TarhNOP Vlina-R2 Racy
[b]Used[/b]: Puppeee Precise Lucid Wary Tahrpup Quirky Slacko MacPup Saluki Puppy Studio LxPupTarh Lina-Lite Lina
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

vtpup

#130 Post by vtpup »

johnywhy wrote:
vtpup wrote:You remastered and said it worked fine. This seems to be a savefile to card issue, and may be procedural -- you never specified steps to reproduce this issue, and it involved a couple of different (simultaneous?) installs of a remastered OS.
The first step of making the remaster worked fine, but actually installing the remaster failed. I don't think i left any steps out, and it involved only one remaster.
Steps to reproduce = open a clean install of stock Racy 53 and note down, step by step, each action you take to remaster and trial run, in detail, including screen messages and key presses to reach the repeatable issue expression so that another person can repeat (reproduce) your issue. Note software versions installed, and hardware used to do this. Report all of that as an issue. That is thorough and systematic testing, ie. providing steps to reproduce.

cecc

jwm menus doesn't display Chinesecorrectly

#131 Post by cecc »

This character display problem of jwm menus exists in many versions of Puppies. So I hope there is a solution.

After I had installed the Chinese WenQuanYi MicroHei TTF font in Wary 5.3, and set the system locale to zh_CN, I clicked the "Menu" in the left bottom, the Chinese characters in jwm menus were all displayed in small cubics and could not be recognized. To solve this problem, we need to do some modifications to jwmrc in /root/.jwm.

(Below is one kind of modifiation suggested by labrador several years ago.)

Just open jwmrc in /root/.jwm and replace the dash character with a blank character in all the fontname config lines.

the original fontname config line:

<font>DejaVu Sans-12:bold</font>
the modified fontname config line:

<font>DejaVu Sans 12:bold</font>
When we use "DejaVu Sans-12:bold" in fontname, jwm seems to just use DejaVu Sans the English font to display the menus, and will not use Chinese WenQuanYi MicroHei TTF font to display the Chinese characters in the menus. After we replace the dash with a blank character in fontname, jwm will not recognise the fontname in jwmrc and use the suitable fonts in the system to correctly display the menu characters.

And to let all the jwm themes support Chinese menus, we need to go to /root/.jwm/themes and replace the dash character with a blank character in all the fontname config lines of all the *-jwmrc files.

Making these modifications to jwm config files will change the original jwm menu font settings, so I hope that there is a better solution for this problem.

Hope that Barry will do some modifications in Woof or shinobar will do some improvements in his QuickSetup first-run PET to solve this jwm menu display problem, so that the subsequent Puppies will not have this problem.

Thank you all!

Best Regards,

Cecc
Last edited by cecc on Thu 07 Jun 2012, 14:05, edited 3 times in total.

shinobar

Re: jwm menus doesn't display Chinesecorrectly

#132 Post by shinobar »

cecc wrote:the original fontname config line:

<font>DejaVu Sans-12:bold</font>
the modified fontname config line:

<font>DejaVu Sans 12:bold</font>
And to let all the jwm themes support Chinese menus, we need to go to /root/.jwm/themes and replace the dash character with a blank character in all the fontname config lines of all the *-jwmrc files.
Automated tool: (need to extract and give executable permission)
http://shino.pos.to/linux/puppy/jwm_font_repair.sh.gz
cecc wrote:Hope Barry to make some modifications in Woof or shinobar to do some improvements in his QuickSetup first-run PET to solve this jwm menu display problem, so that the subsequent Puppies will not have this problem.
So do i hope. All the Japanese versions and my multilingual versions are treated this. And the lang_support_all has the script at /usr/local/bin/jwm_font_repair.sh.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=51702
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

nubc

#133 Post by nubc »

I like to run versions as a live CD without saving the settings, so a version has to be reasonably right for me OOTB. I am sure a default resolution of 1280x1024 covers more circumstances than lower resolutions. Nevertheless, I *never* use this resolution because everything is too small. I prefer the resolution of 1024x768 and occasionally 800x600. In the last several recent versions of Wary (run as live CD) I have not been able to change the resolution from default 1280x1024, even when I have upgraded Xorg in Wary 5.3. This latter upgrade involved a 10-minute download by cable connection and had no success at changing the resolution. I wouldn't use Wary 5.3 as a live CD even if the upgrade had been successful at changing the default resolution, because I am not gonna waste 10 to 15 minutes changing the resolution. Is there some way to ensure that a resolution of 1024x768 is easily attainable without jumping through hoops or doing a frugal install?

vtpup

#134 Post by vtpup »

nubc wrote:I like to run versions as a live CD without saving the settings, so a version has to be reasonably right for me OOTB. I am sure a default resolution of 1280x1024 covers more circumstances than lower resolutions. Nevertheless, I *never* use this resolution because everything is too small. I prefer the resolution of 1024x768 and occasionally 800x600. In the last several recent versions of Wary (run as live CD) I have not been able to change the resolution from default 1280x1024, even when I have upgraded Xorg in Wary 5.3. This latter upgrade involved a 10-minute download by cable connection and had no success at changing the resolution. I wouldn't use Wary 5.3 as a live CD even if the upgrade had been successful at changing the default resolution, because I am not gonna waste 10 to 15 minutes changing the resolution. Is there some way to ensure that a resolution of 1024x768 is easily attainable without jumping through hoops or doing a frugal install?
remaster?

Personal savefile on the CD and then close it?

nubc

#135 Post by nubc »

I guess I meant this as a suggestion for future editions of Wary, and any other Puppy for that matter. Just provide two possible resolutions and I'll be happy. Or allow resolution selection earlier in the setup process so that resolution is actually selectable when running as a live CD. If the resolution of 1024x768x16 is preselected in my Xorg setup, does this not indicate that 1024x768x16 resolution is standard and suitable for my computer?

Edit: In Windows, user can make a 1280x 1024 resolution look like 1024x768 by going into advanced Display settings to change the DPI setting from Normal size (96 dpi) to Large size (120 dpi). Nice and quick tweak, but Windows asks you to reboot.
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/fontblog/archiv ... 90490.aspx
Last edited by nubc on Fri 08 Jun 2012, 14:04, edited 3 times in total.

cecc

#136 Post by cecc »

Shinobar,

Thank you for your reply!

Hope that Puppy will be better in the future.

Also thank Barry and you all who has devoted your time and intelligence to this small and lovely distribution!

Best Regards,

Cecc

Karl Godt

pupdial

#137 Post by Karl Godt »

This is something i consider a bug :

Pupdial owerwrites its /etc/wvdial.conf configuration file everytime, so
the suggestions written into it, to comment out lines
[Dialer wireless]
#To force only 2G or 3G, uncomment the Init4 line and append 0 (2G) or 2 (3G), and substitute your operator's name for MYOPS.
${INIT4M}
#Init6-Init9 lines are available for user purposes; the commented examples can be used as described:
#To force the 3G quality of service level, uncomment the Init6/Init7 line pair and set value two places each, for 384k/144k/64k, omitting the \"k\" (e.g., =1,4,64,384,64,384).
#To list all the APNs stored in the modem, uncomment the Init8 line; check the Connection status log for lines beginning with +CGDCONT:.
#To list the operator identifier stored in the modem, uncomment the Init9 line; check the Connection status log for a line beginning with +COPS:.
${INIT69M}" >> /etc/wvdial.conf
do not work :roll: :twisted: :wink:

I have come with a solution like this :

if ["`grep '\[Dialer wireless\]' /etc/wvdial.conf`" ];then
sed -n '/\[Dialer wireless\]/,/\$/ p' /etc/wvdial.conf >/tmp/wvdialconf.tail
fi

[]
echo -n "Modem = /dev/${DEVM}
[]
Init1 = AT+CPIN=${ENTRYWPINM}
" >>/etc/wvdial.conf

if [ -f /tmp/wvdialconf.tail ];then
echo >> /etc/wvdial.conf
cat /tmp/wvdialconf.tail >> /etc/wvdial.conf
echo >> /etc/wvdial.conf
else
echo "
[Dialer wireless]
#To force only 2G or 3G, uncomment the Init4 line and append 0 (2G) or 2 (3G), and substitute your operator's name for MYOPS.
${INIT4M}
#Init6-Init9 lines are available for user purposes; the commented examples can be used as described:
#To force the 3G quality of service level, uncomment the Init6/Init7 line pair and set value two places each, for 384k/144k/64k, omitting the \"k\" (e.g., =1,4,64,384,64,384).
#To list all the APNs stored in the modem, uncomment the Init8 line; check the Connection status log for lines beginning with +CGDCONT:.
#To list the operator identifier stored in the modem, uncomment the Init9 line; check the Connection status log for a line beginning with +COPS:.
${INIT69M}
" >> /etc/wvdial.conf
fi
Note : i am typing manually from looking at my eee, so typsos possible.
Note : [] stands for "here part of original code" .

Pupdial has some other crazy confusions in regards to

Init1 =
Init2 = ATZ

#v413 If first Init1 not null, move contents to Init2, and Init2 to Init3, to reserve Init1 for wireless PIN.
[ "$INIT1M" != "" ] && INIT3M="$INIT2M" && INIT2M="$INIT1M" && INIT1M="" #v413

in combination with
/usr/sbin/modemtest

:P

I'll show how my head of /etc/wvdial should look like :

Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
Init3 = AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","web.vodafone.de","",0,0

ATZ is neccessary for being able to connect , even if the modem has received the correct PIN and is unlocked; otherwise the code would need something like this :

if [ ! "`grep '^Init1 =' |grep ATZ`" ];then
modem-stats -c ATZ /dev/$DEVM;sleep 2
fi
wvdial ${WVISP} ${WVPIN} ${WVAPN} ${WVWRLS}

shinobar

Grub4DosConfig 1.8

#138 Post by shinobar »

fix was failed to install on floppy with recent kernels like Wary/Racy-5.3 and etc.,
Tnx to irishrm

grub4dos-0.4.4.v1.8.pet (2012-06-15)
http://shino.pos.to/linux/puppy/

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=51697
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

Karl Godt

#139 Post by Karl Godt »

Just short : Had the first unproper shutdown today with /sbin/init running

I got the following message on screen :

line 120 : tr : command not found
line 121 : tr : command not found

rm -f `find /var -mount -type s | tr '\n' ' '` #remove sockets.
rm -f `find /var -mount -type p | tr '\n' ' '` #remove pipes.
sync
#pivot_root to the ramdisk...

will check my installation for /path/to/tr .

Cheers !

Henry

"Blind logout" in Racy (not Wary)

#140 Post by Henry »

This was first posted elswhere as a separate topic. I don't want to be a double poster but it should be here as a probable Racy bug/instability.
------------------------------------------------------------
I've been discussing this in the RacyNop-5.22 topic, being a veteran of all the Nops, but this is more of a Racy than a Nop problem, so here it is.

Obviously this does not happen in all computers, but it always does in mine, which works fine otherwise. Also, just now I've tested in a brand new Acer Aspire One 722 netbook (no CD-drive) using fresh "bare" bootflash drives for a standard situation:

RacyNop-r1, Racy-522, and Racy-53 all have this "blind logout" problem.

QuirkyNop-12, Slacko-533, Wary-53, (and probably most others) do not have this problem.

What it is: you logout to a prompt and get a blank,dark screen. The prompt is there but you can't see it, leading some to think the computer has crashed. I always get it when using the upgraded xorg, but I don't think that's necessary.

Also, if I xwin back from the blind screen I get an odd split image as in the attached. This is a photo - a screen shot would look OK. The only way out of this (that I knw) is a reboot or shutdown.

Here are a couple of "blind logout" reports both early and late in Racy:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 671#564671
On Sept. 17,2011, Tronkel wrote:
If I try to exit to a prompt, the computer freezes up completely and have to do a hard reset.
His diagnosis (like mine) and fix turned out to be inadequate.

On May 1, 2012 in Racy-53 http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 3&start=60 Pence wrote:
Now I have that problem of no shutdown or reboot and then xorg problem after manual shutdown.
Attachments
splitscreen.jpg
(17.11 KiB) Downloaded 1755 times